Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Thread - Washington at The Third Forgotten NY Football Team

TK

2 hours ago, Dissident2 said:

Just look at Young's Twitter page. It's full of self-promotion, one video of him showing off a bunch of Rolex watches, another showing off his house. Really beginning to think this dude doesn't get it at all. 

He gets it. Those aspects of being a pro athlete are what most of these young guys are after. It's all about their brand. Nothing to do with the team, because if he doesn't like the situation in DC he knows he just has to wait for his rookie contract to expire and he'll find another city that will gladly have him and show him the money. He's all about gloating over what he's getting paid and how much stuff he has. Been that way since the likes of Deion Sanders joined the league.  

• Thumb down 1

Just now, PartyPosse said:

Ok, but do you honestly, truly believe that Ron and the coaching staff don't think there's a problem on the defensive side of the ball?

No, he's quoted as saying there's a problem on the defensive side of the ball and I never said that I thought Ron didn't think there were problems. 

In my opinion, he thinks the problem is too small. 

2 minutes ago, gooseneck said:

Personally, I think we won this game.

......? Just living in fantasy land, or is there a joke I’m missing? 

because if you’re serious, then by all means, feel free to think we won and are 2-1. But you’ll be disappointed when the season is over and you see the actual record is one less win 😂

Edited by Cooleyfan1993

2 hours ago, Painkiller said:

The reality is this team is not a Super Bowl contender in 2021, the Bills are very much one.  We must again temper any hope or expectations we had in the off-season.  We are a MAYBE compete for the NFC East title, and MAYBE win a playoff game team.  Best possible outcome as I see it for this season.    Right now I would put us 3rd in the East based on the first 3 weeks.  The Cowboy and Eagles are probably better right now.  We have obvious deficiencies that I don't think can be schemed around.  

We aren’t either. We are team that will win anywhere from 2 games, worst case to 7-8 games, best case. This team isn’t a playoff team.

Edited by Rdskns2000

47 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Allen is great against the blitz. That's when his numbers really rise. Our DTs were getting a ton of pressure, but the underneath stuff was there all day. Id have kept the rush the same, given up the deep ball on a day with crazy wind and had the DBs in the mix short.

Buddys defense was innovative for about 5 years and only worked in Philly because they we talent packed.

I think its safe to say he is great against rush 4 zone as well. Blitzing is risky as hell but when you see the D getting schooled I think a DC has to roll the dice and burn the game plan by mid 2nd quarter or whatever. 1st quarter. Dialup the heat down 21 and try for a turnover, something different is worth a try. The key?  You just cannot be predictable and expect to do well, whatever approach a DC takes.

Edited by RandyHolt

Haven't had time to read the thread lately, but has anyone figured out what was up with that Hopkins recovering his kickoff down the field thing?  The announcers acted like it was planned, but no ****ing way right?  Lol. Something to be said about it at least.  That's like one in a million, randy Johnson hitting a bird with his pitch level stuff.  Just wish it happened in a more meaningful game.  And is it a viable try when it comes to kickoffs?  Probably not but the NFL has basically gotten rid of kickoff returns so does it make sense to try something like this?

2 minutes ago, Dirt said:

Haven't had time to read the thread lately, but has anyone figured out what was up with that Hopkins recovering his kickoff down the field thing?  The announcers acted like it was planned, but no ****ing way right?  Lol. Something to be said about it at least.  That's like one in a million, randy Johnson hitting a bird with his pitch level stuff.  Just wish it happened in a more meaningful game.  And is it a viable try when it comes to kickoffs?  Probably not but the NFL has basically gotten rid of kickoff returns so does it make sense to try something like this?

I mean, it was meaningful at the time as it led us a TD to cut the score to 21-14. 

i thought it was an onside kick, not a regular kickoff. Could be wrong 

1 hour ago, Leonard Washington said:

2-15 looks very possible with our defense.  It is unreasonable to expect our offense to move the ball with the same ease that opposing team's offense move against ours.

Unless he quits, I'd like to see him stay.  Ron is the most stable coach we've had since Gibbs.  I like to see him build the team for a few more years. 

What he does next year will

determine whether he lasts beyond year 3. 

Though if we do go 2-15; you don’t know who’s whispering sweet nothings into Dan’s ear. Dan could chuck Ron.  I’d be watching Dan late in the season.

12 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

I think its safe to say he is great against rush 4 zone as well. Blitzing is risky as hell but when you see the D getting schooled I think a DC has to roll the dice and burn the game plan by mid 2nd quarter or whatever. 1st quarter. Dialup the heat down 21 and try for a turnover, something different is worth a try. The key?  You just cannot be predictable and expect to do well, whatever approach a DC takes.

They will not know what you're gonna do, if you do things they don't think you'll do. Thay's or sure, but his rating and percentage are higher when you do blitz him so yes that's certainly predictable, because it's a measurable stat. Our IDL got great pressure today.

23 minutes ago, BraveWarrior said:

He gets it. Those aspects of being a pro athlete are what most of these young guys are after. It's all about their brand. Nothing to do with the team, because if he doesn't like the situation in DC he knows he just has to wait for his rookie contract to expire and he'll find another city that will gladly have him and show him the money. He's all about gloating over what he's getting paid and how much stuff he has. Been that way since the likes of Deion Sanders joined the league.  

Nobody is showing him the money if he ends the year with zero sacks and has a mediocre at best rookie 4 years. Three games in and he is a complete non-factor. 

I get that some folks want blood after a curb stomping like that.  But there is nothing Ron can say in his presser that is going to change the outcome of this game or the next.  You can’t possibly oversee the team that got worked the entire afternoon and truly believe you don’t have a serious problem on your hands.  It’s of no benefit to him or the team to share that with the press before the team boards the plane.

• Thumb up 1

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. — Ron Rivera stood motionless at the 30-yard line, his arms crossed and his eyes fixated on the end zone as a sea of fans behind him erupted in cheers. For more than eight minutes of the third quarter, the Buffalo Bills picked apart the Washington Football Team on a demoralizing 17-play, 93-yard touchdown drive. Any chance of an upset fizzled, and any hope of a needed turnaround by Washington’s once-vaunted defense disappeared.

So Washington’s coach just stood there, saying nothing, as players jogged off the field and some, including star defensive end Chase Young, became visibly frustrated on the sideline.

In a game he billed as a “measuring stick” for his team, Rivera could only watch as the results defied his early-season expectations. Behind an imploding defense and a turnover-prone offense, Washington crumbled in its first road game of the season, losing to the Bills, 43-21, to fall to 1-2.

“My expectations were to play better than we did, to be honest,” he said flatly after the game. “... We got a long way to go.”

...The Bills’ Josh Allen wasn’t sacked Sunday, and the minimal pass rush he faced gave him an average of 2.94 seconds to throw, per the NFL’s Next Gen Stats. Allen struggled with his accuracy in the first two weeks, but he had little issue against Washington, completing 32 of 43 passes for 358 yards and totaling five touchdowns (one rushing). Including his nine rushing yards, Allen outgained Washington by 77 yards.

“We have a lot of talent, but we got to get them to play as a unit, and that’s on us as coaches,” Rivera said of Washington’s defensive line. “We have to make sure the things that we’re doing, things that we’re creating for them are things that they can work and go out and function and be a unit together.”

Allen, a first-time Pro Bowl pick last season, wasn’t the first to expose Washington’s myriad problems on defense. He just did it better than the others, and Buffalo’s second-ranked defense stifled Washington.

...“I promise you: We’ll put the tape on and we’ll see some mistakes and we’ll sit there and say: ‘Man, we did that last week. We’re not learning,’ ” Rivera said. “... And that’s what my fear is. ... I’m going to feel like we didn’t learn anything in the first two weeks.”

Through three games, Washington has the worst third-down conversion rate in the league at 58.7 percent, and the offense has converted only 26.5 percent.

...“That was very disheartening, because if you can make a stop, you feel like you have a little momentum — and we didn’t that,” Rivera said. “That was disappointing.”

We tend to forget we only won 7 games last year. RR worked a miracle to win the division but the division was trash. We ARE rebuilding no question. Yes, this game sucked as we were out classed by last years AFC runner up. There are a lot of questions why this defense hasn’t even showed up but why havent we tried to loosen up the front by blitzing? As a long time fan, I also wanted to believe we were better then today. If this game was a measuring stick, maybe we need a different stick.

44 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

And never trust what a coach says directly after a game.

He might be furious with Jack, but he’s never going to make that public post game.

Yep.  I gather some want more of a mea culpa from Rivera and say this defense is atrocious and he sees no end in sight for the misery but you got to be somewhat measured in what you say publicly otherwise you'd come off clownish to an extent.  I've seen enough said from Rivera today to spot that he's upset and isn't just shrugging it all off.  Let's see how they respond next Sunday.

We've seen Rivera go off  and rant big time against his defense in the Amazon series for just a bad half of defensive play.  I got not fear he's feeling groovy so to speak about the defensive play and will just shrug it all off.   As for what comes next?  You got me.  But I really doubt this defense will be coddled this week heading into the next game. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise