Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things defense

ThomasRoane

1 hour ago, Ball Security said:

Atlanta’s offense has scored 21 or less points in 6 of their last 7 games.

I listen to their local radio coverage, and the consensus seems to be that they've got two Ferraris in the garage in Pitts/London and basically can't get plays pass-blocked well enough to fully utilize them.

From the outside looking in, I think they're off.  London and Pitts are future Ferraris, and they show highly impressive flashes, but right now neither of them are that good.  Cordarrelle Patterson is their Ferrari, that dude is ****ing dominant right now.  Thinking Pitts and London are their best players is akin to thinking Dotson is better than McLaurin.  Can't take potential for a given.

Arthur Smith is a very smart dude and he knows he's got to lean on Allgeier and Patterson to move the ball and win games, and that's what they are going to try and do against us.  And as much of a beast as Dameon Pierce has been at times this season, he is definitely not Cordarrelle Patterson.  Patterson is even bigger than BRob and Gibby are and he is capable of doing stuff like this:

That was a linebacker he killed.  And he also has unbelievable open field speed to where it's trivial for him to wipe out good angles of pursuit like he did on that kick return TD today.  This dude scares me a little bit.  He's going to be a real challenge for our LBers and DBs to get down.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Playaction2Sanders said:

I mean Payne is just making a serious camPayne  for us just outright keeping him. He doesn't miss games. He's productive as hell, he's still young. I get the norm is spending your money on the QB position but why not us, switch things up and just make our most expensive players the Dline.. Throw a few bucks at the offense but the money goes where the talent is, not where you hope it is..

I don't think you can afford to just throw a few bucks at the offense now a days. I hope they can find a way to extend at least 3/4 first round picks, but there's a possibility it might just be two. (Allen + whoever) If we can only resign indeed only resign one more, I'd put Payne at the top of the list. 

Dline being the beast we expected them to be, and JDR back to his D performing like it mostly has during his career.  I think the biggest surprise has been 3 unheralded secondary players in Curl, Forrest, and St Juste playing well above their draft spots and complimenting that DLine well.

• Like 3

We simply have to throw money at Payne. Letting him walk would be further FO incompetence.

There are several variables elsewhere, Sweat is playing significantly better but we have that 5th year option in place for 2023. We can’t plan too far ahead with Young, I would not take his option up next May. Too risky. And with new ownership, if he bounces back as a force we will pay him down the line. 

The imminent decision point on the DL is Payne. Pay him.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

We simply have to throw money at Payne. Letting him walk would be further FO incompetence.

I agree with this comment, especially after we've let draft picks like Cousins, Scherff, Ion, Settle, etc go for nothing. If you make a great draft pick who is producing and is in their prime then find a way to keep them. Same with Montez, Curl and possibly Gibson. These guys are our foundation and they're starting to show that they can play with anyone. 

15 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

I think the cost of that is prohibitive. What’s the estimated tag number, close to 20mil ?

It’s projected to be a shade over $18M, or slightly less than a $10M increase from what he is making this year.  Saving money from Carson’s deal along with the rising cap would easily solve it.

Edited by Ball Security

It's going to be really interesting to see how Young plays, assuming he does.   Seems apparent that last year's defensive failures were mainly WJ3 and Chase.

The failure early this year was mostly WJ3.    I worry Chase is going to come back and be undisciplined again.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HigSkin said:

It's interesting how all the chatter is about the QB change because that's what everyone wants to talk about but the difference in our winning is emphatically the defense and credit should go to them. 

Addition by subtraction of WJ3, the elevated play of the tandem at safety, both corners and even the emergence of Jamin Davis.  Night and day from earlier in the season.  A pleasure to watch.

But like SIP mentioned, its eerily similar to Gregg’s defense when we had Brunell noodle arming it.  We’d be so dangerous with just average QB play.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Remember that one OL we had in the Zorn era who was just absolutely awful? I forgot his name. Might have been Stephon Heyer.

Kenyon Green was somehow worse.

Heyer was a former Terp, so I forgive him.  But he was a bad pro.

In terms of Kenyon Green, I think long term he will be okay, but he has struggled as a rookie.  PFF gave him a 28.6 grade agaisnt the Commanders with a 3.6 pass block grade, a few weeks ago he had a 31.6 grade against the Titan and a 37.4 against the Chargers in week 4.   That said he has had some good games.  He struggles in games where Houston throws 75% of the time.  In general he is a much better run blocker at this point, but in games where D-Line tees off in pass rush he pass blocks worse.  For the season he pass blocking in he high 20's and run blocking in the 50's with an overall score around 40.   According to PFF he has given up 34 pressures that includes 4 sacks, 9 QB hits, and 21 QB hurries.  Given that he gave 2 sacks yesterday on five pressures, he had only given up two sacks before yesterday on 29.   Given that PFF says about 15% of pressures are converted into sacks, the number of sacks he had given up 2--didn't reflect what you expect given the amount of pressures he had given up (29--based on 29 pressures you would have expected him to have given up 4.35 sacks).   Yesterday was a day where he regressed to the mean.  On 34 pressures you would expect a player to give up about 5 sacks, and after giving up two sacks yesterday, he has given up 4, pretty close to the expected number.

With hindsight I would much rather have Zion Johnson, who has an overall PFF grade around 60 with a 46 in pass block and 70 in run blocking.  That said, Sam Cosmi (though he plays tackle) is better than both in my mind (for what is worth, Zion Johnson has given up 25 pressures consisting of 3 sacks, 4 QB hits, and 18 QB hurries).

Edited by philibusters
  • Like 1