Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things defense

ThomasRoane

9 minutes ago, Conn said:

Pittsburgh has one of the most consistently talented defenses across their entire depth chart. They have arguably the best pass rusher in the league, and arguably the best FS in the league, along with good LB’s and many other good to great players 

They do have special players…players that are consistently put in a position to perform and win. 

3 hours ago, Stone Cold said:

We have dogs.  Right now they’re leashed and it’s frustrating to watch

Who? Payne is "good" Allen is "good" but neither have games where they take over, Sweat is alright outside of t hat what dogs do we have?? WJ III has been terrible as has Fuller....Maybe Forrest is a bright spot but nobody on our defense strikes me as someone that can change a game.

No one is playing for JDR. It's why our pass rush never gets home. There's zero motivation. If I had to guess, JDR alienated the hell out of his squad with his tweets and they kept tight lipped. They've basically quiet quit, too. The best modern defense we've had was under Gregg Williams and even though it was partially attributable to bountygate, he got his guys motivated. In Rivera's first season, the team rallied under his banner knowing his struggle. That motivation doesn't exist anymore. Maybe Young brings some of that back, but we'll see. For now, JDR is a clear drag on this franchise.

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, D’Pablo said:

No one is playing for JDR. It's why our pass rush never gets home. There's zero motivation. If I had to guess, JDR alienated the hell out of his squad with his tweets and they kept tight lipped. They've basically quiet quit, too. The best modern defense we've had was under Gregg Williams and even though it was partially attributable to bountygate, he got his guys motivated. In Rivera's first season, the team rallied under his banner knowing his struggle. That motivation doesn't exist anymore. Maybe Young brings some of that back, but we'll see. For now, JDR is a clear drag on this franchise.

Well said Pablo.

I agree the players probably hate JDR and 1 day may even be trying to get him axed. RR had a chance to dump him but dumped our DL coach Mills instead which probably made things even more tense. I would bet you a free bet on draft kings Mills HATED JDR and didn't carlos Hyde it. Very rare to axe a coach on August 9th and its obvious to me what happened.

I do think our RG3 year late in the year Haslett went full maniac and the D was aggressive and fun to watch - Williams was too passive to me.

Anyone saying our LBs aren't even NFL worthy - that means we should have NO faith in RR/JDR to do anything if they cannot get avg LB play.

Edited by RandyHolt

26 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

We're just going to be in a lot of shootouts. We've got to make sure those turn into TDs and we can keep out foot on the gas. 

Defense needs to step up.

Good teams these days score a lot AND have good defenses capable of creating turnovers. We can't just rely one one phase of the game to get us where we need to be, and quite frankly where we should be, year 3 of this staff. 

7 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

Well said Pablo.

I agree the players probably hate JDR and 1 day may even be trying to get him axed. RR had a chance to dump him but dumped our DL coach Mills instead which probably made things even more tense. I would bet you a free bet on draft kings Mills HATED JDR and didn't carlos Hyde it. Very rare to axe a coach on August 9th and its obvious to me what happened.

I do think our RG3 year late in the year Haslett went full maniac and the D was aggressive and fun to watch - Williams was too passive to me.

Anyone saying our LBs aren't even NFL worthy - that means we should have NO faith in RR/JDR to do anything if they cannot get avg LB play.

I don't think I heard anything about Mills relationship with JDR.  I did hear that Mills was not popular with the players he coached.

I don't think JDR will get fired during the season.  After the season, maybe depending on how the season plays out.   This is pretty much a mirror image of how the defense started last year.   Last year it did get better after maybe the 5th game, but the defense even then the defense had its up and downs, it just stopped giving up the killer explosive plays.   If I had to guess, I think something similar may happen.  After 5 or so games the defense will become less leaky, but will be middle of the pack.  Middle of of the pack defenses do have some good games and this defense will have some good games, maybe even string 2 or 3 in a row, and they will have some bad games.   I think firing JDR is bad during the season is not a good idea because you lose continuity.  We saw this last year and things got better.   If you fire JDR and make big changes, I think it lessens the chances the defense settles in.

• Like 1

We are lacking talent and, quite frankly, I don't think the players are big fans of JDR. It's not necessarily his schemes, though they may not like them either. I'm not sure they like him. Now, this is all conjecture. He may be their favorite coach of all time. But based on all the events that have occurred I wouldn't poo poo that away. 

As I've said many times I don't think we are all that talented defensively. Average across the board aside from a few pieces (going in both directions). But we are not maximizing talent like a team like the Lions do. And part of that is believing in the message, culture and vision in the building. Players have to want to play for their coaches. And coaches should enjoy coaching their players. That has to be fixed.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, CobraCommander said:

Defense needs to step up.

Good teams these days score a lot AND have good defenses capable of creating turnovers. We can't just rely one one phase of the game to get us where we need to be, and quite frankly where we should be, year 3 of this staff. 

Honestly I am not as low on the defense as I think I was on Sunday and Monday. In the first half I was optimistic

- the first sack by Davis

- holding them to a FG

- stopping them on 4th down. 

At this point we're down 3-0 with absolutely no offense. 

Then we give up the safety. Now we're down 5-0

Then they scored a TD. Its was not big plays though it was the return on the kickoff that set them up Big. Now we're down 12-0

Then we give up another FG so its 15-0. 

This was the defense holding up while our offense tried to get it together. 

Then they go on a 9 play drive that again was not big plays, just a bunch of dinking and dunking and they score again before the half. Now we're down 22-0. 

That was the defense holding firm and keeping us in the game. But even after that, their next 4 drives were

3 and out then punt. 

3 and out then punt. 

3 and out then punt. 

5 plays then punt. 

But in the middle of that is the Wentz interception. Its not like I'm blaming Wentz for this but I do think that gave them life again. 

If you look at it, we stopped 5 of their last 7 drives on 5 plays or less. We just gave up those two TDs. Allowing 14 points in the second half isn't some horrible defense. Its just that our offense didn't come to life. 

So I kinda agree with Ron, not in that it was just the big plays but it was those 4 drives that killed us and the lack of offense before the half. 

• Like 2

Listening to Jon Allen on The Junkies.  Man, he gives a fan hope.  He takes full responsibility on everything.  Said he had no setbacks from the game and said this defense is so close.  Said a tweak here or there and that game is so different.  Said it was all business in the meetings this week and everyone knows what they need to do.  He likes the effort and if he saw a guy not giving the effort, he'd be all over them.  Said the Eagles game will be fun and that a mobile QB actually gives you more opps to hit them.  Also said Hurts is the same guy he knew from Alabama.

If anyone gets a chance to listen, you should.  It's a great interview.

Edited by HigSkin
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

12 hours ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

Who? Payne is "good" Allen is "good" but neither have games where they take over, Sweat is alright outside of t hat what dogs do we have?? WJ III has been terrible as has Fuller....Maybe Forrest is a bright spot but nobody on our defense strikes me as someone that can change a game.

I don't know the answer to this so I'll ask, do we run stunts much or at all with our defensive line? 

11 hours ago, D’Pablo said:

Where is Williams? Is he banned from the league? 

2 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

I don't know the answer to this so I'll ask, do we run stunts much or at all with our defensive line? 

Where is Williams? Is he banned from the league? 

Penn State seems to have a good, young D-coordinator who likes to attack....Manny Diaz. I'd like to see a younger, more aggressive D-coordinator to pair with our young 1st round picks and push them to greater heights. Close that age gap somewhat.