Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things defense

ThomasRoane

16 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Let’s bring Breeland back! He’s available.

Not with the way he was kicked out of Minnesota:

"The #Vikings waived starting CB Bashaud Breeland after he got into a verbal altercation today at practice with coaches, took off his cleats and got into it with multiple teammates who were trying to calm the situation, sources tell me and

. Too much to come back from"

• Thanks 1

Say what you will about the talent and execution on defense—plenty to be said about that as well—but this is also a playcalling issue. Brutal. Is this just us generally trying to cover the holes we have at LB by prioritizing having our more talented DBs on the field in game planning? Which then failed even harder bc we were depleted in the secondary as well, and stuck with the original gameplan? 

2 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

**** man. Awful news. Never want to hear about this, especially on Christmas Eve. 

Oh ****, that is awful.  My thoughts go out to her family - so damn heartbreaking - and also to Everett (can’t imagine the guilt that he’s gonna carry around).

• Sad 1

Oh man. Horrible. Thoughts for her family. I really hope this was simply a bad accident and nothing involving any sort of substance abuse or anything. It’s already a tragedy, don’t want to see it be something that ruins further lives. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Say what you will about the talent and execution on defense—plenty to be said about that as well—but this is also a playcalling issue. Brutal. Is this just us generally trying to cover the holes we have at LB by prioritizing having our more talented DBs on the field in game planning? Which then failed even harder bc we were depleted in the secondary as well, and stuck with the original gameplan? 

Simple why they did this. They had 2 playable LBs for this game. They promoted Harris for the game off the PS but I doubt they wanted him getting many snaps

• Like 2

2 hours ago, method man said:

Simple why they did this. They had 2 playable LBs for this game. They promoted Harris for the game off the PS but I doubt they wanted him getting many snaps

Not to mention Kam Curl can play the run as well as cover.  It's no surprise that without Kam on the field the defense has struggled.  Need to get him a long term contract soon.

• Like 2

If we aren’t going to see Collins again this season, man he left things in an interesting place for us to figure out. Finally balling out in the role we all envisioned him being better in, but a role he says he doesn’t favor. Owed too much money, and now injured again—would he take a pay cut to stay? Would he rather gamble on a new contract (at his preferred position of Safety even though everyone knows he’s better in the role we’ve used him in this year) if we cut him when we’re able?

No way we keep him at his current salary now that he’s cuttable, right, even though he was finally playing well? So many variables, and we don’t need more holes on this D. And now he’s hurt again (though not enough to linger into next year—and you could even argue he’s probably not all the way back from his previous serious injury, and just hitting his prime)…he was a real bright spot this year, against all odds and most expectations (you win @Koolblue13). What do we do? 

I'd let Collins walk. He's impactful at his new position sure, but its a position that is of relatively little importance in today's NFL. Its a pass happy league now, in the box Safeties are being phased out. The Seahawks gave up the mother lode for Jamal Adams and they still stink. With the amount of money we free up getting rid of Collins we can get a real LB that actually wants to play that position. I'm not even factoring in that he's now suffered injuries two years in a row.

• Like 2

You keep Collins. He has been the only consistent playmaker in the back 7 since moving to buffalo nickel. In terms of cap, on a net basis, he costs $7M. $16M cap hit if you keep him and $9M dead cap if you cut him. I saw somewhere he’d be willing to play buffalo nickel next year. 

The downside is that it means Davis wouldn’t get to play as much weakside LB as the buffalo nickel feels like a WLB substitute but it’s a sacrifice I’d be willing to make

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

I'd let Collins walk. He's impactful at his new position sure, but its a position that is of relatively little importance in today's NFL. Its a pass happy league now, in the box Safeties are being phased out. The Seahawks gave up the mother lode for Jamal Adams and they still stink. With the amount of money we free up getting rid of Collins we can get a real LB that actually wants to play that position. I'm not even factoring in that he's now suffered injuries two years in a row.

I disagree. His role is the current/future of the NFL. No coincidence the run defense became legit with his return to the line up. He’s a monster against the run and in underneath type zones. 

My novice opinion, is for Washington to get a legit FS (center fielder type with elite range) to “trio up” with Curl and Collins. Could make the defense very dynamic. 

Fortunately, he’s the type of player I have all the faith in Ron and Jack to determine his value moving forward. 

Edited by wit33

6 hours ago, OMacAttack said:

Oof Landon to IR hurts this defense.  Gonna be a tough fight going forward.

Wow, weeks ago I'd never have thought to see a comment like this.  Now, I agree with you.  He's pretty special at that hybrid LB/Safety position.  Credit to RR and JDR as well as LC.  For other coaching staffs LC would have been a bust and have left the team without any return on investment.  Still don't care for Snyder.  But I really like the FO and the staff that RR has put together.  They're professionals. 

6 hours ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

Landon to IR sucks. We should be in tank mode now to grab a QB in the draft. It’s gonna be hard watching us lose these last three games. Gonna stock the cabinet with some of the pricey stuff.

Problem is, which QB?  Really, who impresses you?  

IMO, I'd rather see a top notch Free Safety.  My wish list would be the following:

1) FS

2) WR (Big un!)

3) OL depth

4) Physical cover corner

5) QB to groom 

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

The weird thing is Collins has excelled in the new role, but the most recent time he commented on it he is still saying he doesn't like the role and prefers to be playing tradtional safety.  Now, as long as he buys into the role enough to work hard to maintain the high level of play then fine, but I also am weary of keeping a guy around who doesn't want to be utilized to his max capacity.  Sort of reminds me of when Marvin Lewis got the best season out of Arrington statistically, but Lavar wanted to tell the coache show he should be used and it didn't turn out well.

17 hours ago, ThomasRoane said:

IMO, I'd rather see a top notch Free Safety.  My wish list would be the following:

1) FS

2) WR (Big un!)

3) OL depth

4) Physical cover corner

5) QB to groom 

Just about every teams wish list includes a top not FS.  But there are so few in the league.  Most FS draft prospects that could be single high wind up busting in that role and transitioning to more of a standard Cover 2 safety.

Honestly think teams should just look at rangy Cover 3 corners with high quality instincts and convert them to FS.

The big WR has to be able to separate.  If he's got no wiggle or footwork, then I don't care how well he high points and grabs contested balls in college.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

If we hear Ron say that the defensive line is undisciplined after the game today, I’m going to but Montez Sweat’s undisciplined ass a bus ticket out of town. 

I mean our run D went to poop the second Sweat returned to the lineup. The sack fumble was a nice play, but even then, he got the strip and was celebrating instead of looking for the ball.

Million dollar talent, two cent head.