Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things defense

ThomasRoane

The defense appeared a bit more connected against the Falcons and a number of plays were available to be made— the defender coming within a finger or hand of knocking the ball down.  

Missing the deflections at the line of scrimmage this year, seemed you could count on 1 or two of those a game last year. 

5 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

How come we don’t play much press coverage?

They did play man more often yesterday.  The problem is their best Man corner (WJ III) is logging too many DPIs.  Needs to get his head around quicker.  I liked seeing McTyer more.  He's good in man coverage.  Same issue though.  If he gets his head around on one of those balls he has an easy pick.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ThomasRoane said:

In other words, we need better players.  Not across the board.  But there are a couple who are glaring weaknesses.  

That and better coaching for the players we have.  The fact that we need to basically cycle through coverages to find something that works is, to me, like me asking my toddler what they want for dinner and they just say no to everything.

9 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

That and better coaching for the players we have.  The fact that we need to basically cycle through coverages to find something that works is, to me, like me asking my toddler what they want for dinner and they just say no to everything.

No doubt.  The coaches are ultimately responsible for the product on the field.  Have the guts to make the tough calls.  That's why they're millionaires.  I always felt like my job as a coach was to put my best 11 on the field (of course you can substitute based on the situation) but generally get your best 11 on the field.  Scheme them up to maximize their strengths and minimize their weaknesses.  Have to instill confidence in what you're doing as well.  If you don't believe in it and are constantly changing then the players won't believe in what you're doing either.  

• Like 1

Don't disagree with much that's been said (although observing how terrible Collins is can't be said enough), but it's encouraging that Jamin seems to be slowly putting the pieces together. Noticed him diagnosing and reacting much quicker and smarter than the first two weeks.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, JCB said:

Don't disagree with much that's been said (although observing how terrible Collins is can't be said enough), but it's encouraging that Jamin seems to be slowly putting the pieces together. Noticed him diagnosing and reacting much quicker and smarter than the first two weeks.

He was second leading tackler and tied with McCain for solo tackles (5). Thought he had a good day yesterday overall. This is just based off of plays made and stats. Maybe more will come out to support he was terrible.

Edited by wit33
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, klwilkins1977 said:

It also seems as if the line calls do not match the LB call do not match the Secondary calls.  That is, they seem to be independent not interdependent of each other.  Too much space and conflicting keys (if the LB notices then he should ____ and the Safety should then____).

Yeah. What bothers me about that is it's not something thats happening after 4-5 seconds after the ball is snapped, it's almost immediate. As if receivers know exactly where to go pre-snap where a defender isn't close. None of the three areas seem to have any synchronicity at this point.

Maybe Darby was the glue?

1 hour ago, PartyPosse said:

Yeah. What bothers me about that is it's not something thats happening after 4-5 seconds after the ball is snapped, it's almost immediate. As if receivers know exactly where to go pre-snap where a defender isn't close. None of the three areas seem to have any synchronicity at this point.

Maybe Darby was the glue?

It was that the whole defense was good in zone.  We did a ton of Cover 4.  We weren't great in zone though, just good.  And the better offenses could pick us apart with ease.  Tom Brady in the playoffs as an example.

So the team decided it needed to run Man if the situation called for it and so they got Jamin Davis, WJ3, and Juice.  But the problem here is that Fuller can't do man well.  Collins can't do either well (and the D got better after he got hurt last season).

So last season in the stopgap year where we signed a bunch of veterans for cheap, we were OK in one coverage.  But it was flawed.  So they've started a coverage rebuild this season.  Problem is we still have a net minus in Collins and Bostic, and not everybody looks capable in the new scheme (Fuller).

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Riggo'sRangers said:

How badly was he injured yesterday?  I like him as well. Not necessarly over Fuller yet, but like his play. 

ACL. Done for the year.

6 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

It was that the whole defense was good in zone.  We did a ton of Cover 4.  We weren't great in zone though, just good.  And the better offenses could pick us apart with ease.  Tom Brady in the playoffs as an example.

So the team decided it needed to run Man if the situation called for it and so they got Jamin Davis, WJ3, and Juice.  But the problem here is that Fuller can't do man well.  Collins can't do either well (and the D got better after he got hurt last season).

So last season in the stopgap year where we signed a bunch of veterans for cheap, we were OK in one coverage.  But it was flawed.  So they've started a coverage rebuild this season.  Problem is we still have a net minus in Collins and Bostic, and not everybody looks capable in the new scheme (Fuller).

At this point I’d rather go man because were way too soft in zone and offenses have figured out how to neutralize the front 4. I don’t think there’s enough cohesion among the corners considering there’s only one returning from last year.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

We at least had an identity on D last year. Rush four and flood the secondary with seven in zone coverage. It got shredded by good teams, but at least against the crap tier offenses we could feast. But now even the bottom of the barrel offenses light us up.

I'd like to play more tight press man but it seems like we're incapable of that and just end up committing PI anyway.

Del Rio has his work cut out for him.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

ACL. Done for the year.

Damn.  He was good depth.

26 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

At this point I’d rather go man because were way too soft in zone and offenses have figured out how to neutralize the front 4. I don’t think there’s enough cohesion among the corners considering there’s only one returning from last year.

Once Juice gets healthy, I agree.  But Fuller needs better help to save him in Man.  Either that or figure out how to use Fuller in other areas.  I do think Fuller would work well bracketing someone as the deeper guy.

2 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

This, yes.  I’ll add that there’s been some major errors borne of confusion on the back end as well, which fits in with shifting back and forth between man and zone.  

Wow, that sucks about McTyre.  

I keep hearing how the QB is getting the ball off before the rush can get there... yet I don't see our linemen putting their hands up, blocking the passing lanes and disrupting the passing attack. I can understand QBs who can throw from tough throwing angles but it seems on money downs (3rd downs), they know exactly where to go with the ball pre-snap. 

By-the-way, I don't think any of the units DL, LB and DBs is playing up to C grade. Highest grade is C- to the DL.