Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things defense

ThomasRoane

Just now, Burgundy Yoda said:

People will argue its the LBs, people will say it's the secondary, people will say it's some players like Chase Young underachieving. In reality we are all just arguing over lumps on a turd. Nothing is working or clicking. 

It’s all of them.

in order:

1) Backers

2) Safeties

3) DL under achieving as a whole.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

LBers and Safeties. McCains been bad, Curl hasn't looked great and Collins hs no fit in this D.

Fuller has been awful. Awful.

But yes, our LBers have been **** for years and I don't know how they didn't attack it in FA. I assume arogense. 

It's obvious that that is a hole and has been, but we have a few issues.

I think it was that our targets got snatched up before FA even hit. Milano and David are worth the bucks; not sure they saw other LBs as worth a big contract.

But we need to do something and stop pretending Holcomb and Bostic are fine. 

The defense in 2020 relied so much on the Front 4 overpowering O-lines that it seems like once O-coordinators got film and made adjustments to their schemes to counter the pass rush, the rest of the defense is just not up to par enough to handle an increased role in having to shut things down.  I don't buy that the D-line just suddenly stopped being good, and we still see during the game isolated incidents of individual players beating their blockers, but it isn't enough for 1 or 2 guys to blow up a play. 

When we sit through 3 straight weeks of 3 different QBs hit on the same exact passes in the middle of the field over and over, it is about more than the D-line. 

Edited by NoCalMike
  • Like 2

Just now, Rskins91 said:

I think it was that our targets got snatched up before FA even hit. Milano and David are worth the bucks; not sure they saw other LBs as worth a big contract.

But we need to do something and stop pretending Holcomb and Bostic are fine. 

Yeah, they knew they were resigning with their teams and making a run.

Just now, NoCalMike said:

The defense in 2020 relied so much on the Front 4 overpowering O-lines that it seems like once O-coordinators got film and made adjustments to their schemes to counter the pass rush, the rest of the defense is just not up to par enough to handle an increased role in having to shut things down.  I don't buy that the D-line just suddenly stopped being good, and we still see during the game isolated incidents of individual players beating their blockers, but it isn't enough for 1 or 2 guys to blow up a play. 

Zero to do with tape. It's guys physically winning their assignments because they are special.

It's attitude. It's totally on our non vaxxed dip**** DEs that didn't practice with the team.

Just now, Koolblue13 said:

I think he's shining a light on a problem.

Is he shining it on himself? Lol

2 minutes ago, Leonard Washington said:

QBs appear to key on Bostic and Collins and work from there.  JDR has to sit both of them down or just give them one assignment. 

I agree that these guys are definitely hurting the defense a lot. I still think even with them benched we are going to experience problems on defense. It doesn't seem like solely a player issue. 

Watching Bucs/Rams. 3rd and 3 ish for the Bucs. Rams play tight press man across the board and some guy makes a stop short of the 1st. Not Ramsey either. I know they have him and Donald but I cant imagine their D is that mucu more talented than ours(other than whoever they have over Bostic). Its about scheme and mindset.

3 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Zero to do with tape. It's guys physically winning their assignments because they are special.

It's attitude. It's totally on our non vaxxed dip**** DEs that didn't practice with the team.

Wait, how many of the D-line are not vaxxed?  Because yeah.....that could be an issue.

Just now, Koolblue13 said:

They had all that BS with Chase and Sweat about it. I think there is a clash over it.

I remember initially WFT had an embarrassingly low amount of vaccinated players, but then they all eventually started getting it.  If their initial refusal caused lack of practice and working with their teammates, then it could definitely explain their slow start to the season, almost like September is going to be them just trying to get their legs back?  Smh..... 

The defensive scheme gives these players no hope, and they know it.  It asks them to sit back and react.  It won't work against the teams we are playing this year.  We aren't challenging the offenses at all--we are letting them dictate everything.  It's a massive schematic screw up and indicative of coaches who just have no clue.  It's a lazy basic scheme that actually accentuates our glaring weaknesses at middle LB.  So what do we do?  We play a soft zone and allow every QB to destroy us for 9-14 yards a clip in the shallow middle.  Three straight games this has gone on and there have been zero adjustments. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, skins4eva said:

The defensive scheme gives these players no hope, and they know it.  It asks them to sit back and react.  It won't work against the teams we are playing this year.  We aren't challenging the offenses at all--we are letting them dictate everything.  It's a massive schematic screw up and indicative of coaches who just have no clue.  It's a lazy basic scheme that actually accentuates our glaring weaknesses at middle LB.  So what do we do?  We play a soft zone and allow every QB to destroy us for 9-14 yards a clip in the shallow middle.  Three straight games this has gone on and there have been zero adjustments. 

This is what Im seeing as well.

Be aggressive. If youre gonna go down go down fighting. 

• Like 4

This defense read too much of the glowing press it was getting in the off-season and just assumed they could show up every week. 

CY can be a generational talent but he seems to fixated on his brand and all the attention he is getting. The league is marketing him hard and he is sucking it all up like bread in gravy. 

• Like 2