Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Thread - Chargers at Team

TK
Message added by TK,

871587837_ScreenShot2021-09-11at3_15_04PM.thumb.png.f4e1de31ee5daec0f4bc8301947a1c67.png

22 minutes ago, dyst said:

We had Chase and Montez go against their guys and they did nada. I know Bosa is good but to me that was more on Cosmi sucking. We need guys who actual step up. He didn’t look like a rookie, he looked like a guy who doesn’t belong in the NFL. He needs to get better yesterday.

This is silly. Joey Bosa is a top 5 elite NFL edge rusher who has made plenty of good veteran NFL Tackles look bad. Cosmi is a 2nd round rookie who's ultra gifted athletically but pretty raw technically. Having some expectation of him to be able to single handedly deal with Joey Bosa in his first ever NFL game is idiotic and is more on the coaches than on Cosmi. They shouldn't have left him on an island against Bosa nearly as much as they did.

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 3

What is so disheartening is the way this team played today makes you wonder if this team is a lot further away from winning due to talent defecienies,coaching,or just a bad day?I hope like hell it was just a bad day,Because if it the other two options then i don't know how any fan can have any hope in this regime moving forward..

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

It doesn’t take much to do that?  The guy was putting the ball exactly where it needed to be over and over and over again.  His tape both last year and against us today, is full of big boy throw after big boy throw.

Yes, he made big boy throws, but the dude was able to cut his toenails while in the pocket. 

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, No Nonsense said:

He made it very clear he had no interest in being there. That could have had something to do with his play and body language today. 

Yeah I think it was @Skinsinparadisewho posted the tweet with the "conspiracy theory" that Rodgers is playing bad on purpose for GB making him stick around. I do think he just might be that sort of dude. That or he wasn't necessarily trying to turn the ball over and suck...he just doesn't give a rats ass and it has that effect on his game.

31 minutes ago, Simmsy said:

Can we stop saying Herbert is elite because he beat us? Dude had no pressure on him all day, with all the time in the world to throw to receivers in zone coverage. It doesn't take much to do that, if anything, praise his OL.

I find the coaching decisions in this game to be highly suspect, that worries me a lot.

I'm giving the offense a free pass this game, I won't cut them any slack Thursday.

Oh yeah, I called the Rodgers thing. He clearly doesn't want to be there, I don't know why he didn't just retire.

I don't know if he's "elite" quite yet, but he's definitely on his way. And he's not elite because he beat us, he's elite because he displays all of the characteristics of an elite QB. He showed some of it his rookie year and it seems to have developed even more over the offseason. He has top physical tools, great work ethic, extremely accurate (I think I saw a grand total of 2-3 passes today that weren't exactly where they needed to be), goes through his progressions quickly and finds the open guy, knows how to adjust protections, knows how to pick on the weak spots of a defense, can make teams pay for blitzes.

I do agree with you on Rodgers. As far as him retiring, IIRC the way his contract is structured would mean not only would he not get the rest of his money on his contract, but he might actually OWE them millions in signing bonus money he got up front.

Edited by mistertim

15 minutes ago, mistertim said:

This is silly. Joey Bosa is a top 5 elite NFL edge rusher who has made plenty of good veteran NFL Tackles look bad. Cosmi is a 2nd round rookie who's ultra gifted athletically but pretty raw technically. Having some expectation of him to be able to single handedly deal with Joey Bosa in his first ever NFL game is idiotic and is more on the coaches than on Cosmi. They shouldn't have left him on an island against Bosa nearly as much as they did.

Yeah I mentioned among others in the summer that I expected a rough debut against Bosa.  It wasn't hard to predict.    O lineman typically take time to develop.   I like Cosmi's makeup.  We need to give him time.

We have to win 😀 please....

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, bh32 said:

What is so disheartening is the way this team played today makes you wonder if this team is a lot further away from winning due to talent defecienies,coaching,or just a bad day?I hope like hell it was just a bad day,Because if it the other two options then i don't know how any fan can have any hope in this regime moving forward..

Its hard to say. Week 1 had quite a few wacky results. The Titans got blown out at home by the Cardinals. The Colts got crushed at home by the Seahawks. The Bills allowed like 20 unanswered to lose to the Steelers at home. Aaron Rodgers looked completely washed up in a blowout loss to the Saints.

It could have been wacky Week 1. Or it could be that the Chargers are legit good. They have a lot of talent including a straight up stud QB. I think they're gonna win 11+ games easily. People forget they had the same record as us last year depsite blowing a lot of leads and playing a much tougher schedule. It very well could be that we're a pretty decent team that just ran into a juggernaut.

I don't think we'll be able to really evaluate until after the first four or five games.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Rodgers looked completely washed today. And that's with a better supporting cast than what he'd have here. Hard pass.

Come on.  He's not washed up.  The Packers looked like they did against Tampa Bay last season and then they ended up winning 10 of their next 12 games and Rodgers won the MVP.  I can't believe any WFT fan could possibly turn their noses up at one of the best QBs in the history of the sport.  I would take him in a heartbeat.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, stevemcqueen1 said:

Come on.  He's not washed up.  The Packers looked like they did against Tampa Bay last season and then they ended up winning 10 of their next 12 games and Rodgers won the MVP.  I can't believe any WFT fan could possibly turn their noses up at one of the best QBs in the history of the sport.  I would take him in a heartbeat.

I mean I'd take him but not if its gonna be for like 3 1st rounders. He's 37 so a drop off is imminent if not already than sooner rather than later and has a bit of a diva-ness to him. He was unhappy with the Packers who have been a top notch organization for basically forever, you think he'd enjoy it in this cesspool? Our stadium literally has crap raining on its fans.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Herbert owned this defense, was never in danger. Some turnovers and fortuitous calls that went our way made the score look closer, but this defense got DESTROYED today. 

Don't know what to tell ya Con.If giving up 20 is getting destroyed u are not going to enjoy this season.  Herbert will be a top 5 Qb in this league soon and played just about better than any rookie Qb ever. Keenen is legit a Williams is very talented. Now, our DL didnt live up to the hype but scheme has a lot to do with it.

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

Too add to this, just mentioned by the Sunday night crew, stars Aaron Donald and Kahli Mack haven't had sacks or even touched the QB's tonight.

4 minutes ago, TheShredSkinz said:

Don't know what to tell ya Con.If giving up 20 is getting destroyed u are not going to enjoy this season.  Herbert will be a top 5 Qb in this league soon and played just about better than any rookie Qb ever. Keenen is legit a Williams is very talented. Now, our DL didnt live up to the hype but scheme has a lot to do with it.

Just to add a little more to TSS's comment, the average winning score today (with the Rams/Bears game still being played) was a little over 27 points, and only two winning teams had fewer points than the Chargers (the Dolphins with 19 and the Panthers with 17). In other words, WFT had the third best scoring defense of the teams that lost today and lost by only 4 points. Of course the defense could have played better as is true for all teams that lose a game and likely most if not all that win. But they were not destroyed.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

5 minutes ago, ODU AGGIE said:

Just to add a little more to TSS's comment, the average winning score today (with the Rams/Bears game still being played) was a little over 27 points, and only two winning teams had fewer points than the Chargers (the Dolphins with 19 and the Panthers with 17). In other words, WFT had the third best scoring defense of the teams that lost today and lost by only 4 points. Of course the defense could have played better as is true for all teams that lose a game and likely most if not all that win. But they were not destroyed.

We were destroyed in every single metric except the score, and that was mostly by blind luck, some bad calls,  some WR drops, and a few good red zone plays by us. They dominated us pretty much the entire game. Crushed us in yards, TOP, plays, 3rd down conversions (14 of 18...holy hell), 1st downs. Everything. The score was more a fluke than anything else.

If you watched that game except for the scores you'd probably guess they dropped a 40 burger on us.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

While our pass protection was bad I do think the run blocking was alright.

Rodgers looked completely washed today. And that's with a better supporting cast than what he'd have here. Hard pass.

What’s hilarious is the Packers had an opportunity to trade him, but weathered the storm of Rogers wanting to leave and now can’t get anywhere near the hull thy could have gotten for him for him in the off season. They had the opportunity and “THEY BLEW IT.”

Edited by heyholetsgogrant

Gibson appears to be a star. We should probably do a better job of balancing his touches though. He had a clear fatigue drop in some key situations that led to bad plays for us. I like what I saw from him though. He's a match up nightmare. If there's one thing I'd like to see him add, it would be chipping the edges on his pass releases. That's just something we need in this offense.

McClaurin is still McClaurin. Everyone seems to have forgot though? He was out their working even when he didn't get the ball, and I was watching to see if he got frustrated by our staff abandoning him. We are fortunate to have a WR of his caliber who isn't a diva. He stayed ready and made plays as soon as we remembered he was on the team. A huge credit to him.

Logan Thomas is a problem in the red zone. He will be money down there all season.

Scherff has to get his head together, because he is dominant when he's focused. We need him to set the example, not commit the costly penalty that stops drives. He and Cosmi really did beat people up together in the run game. That was overshadowed by our pass blocking. I still like them together on that right side.

Our LT has to play better. Our OC has to get more creative in his attack. Turner gives thought to how he gets Gibson the ball. We need that same energy applied to McClaurin. That should be the foundation of our offense.

Our Special Teams unit was beast mode. Kickoff, Kick Return, Punt, Punt Return, and FG were all great. We had 2 big penalties and 1 missed kick that lowers their overall grade, but otherwise those units kept us in the game. They flipped field position in our favor throughout the game. Everett made the standout play that I remember, but everyone was flying around. That was good to see.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, TheShredSkinz said:

I could see how someone could type this comment if they merely saw the score after the game. Seems like we held them pretty well if that’s your entire context. Unfortunately I saw them dominate our defense the entire game with my own eyes, and the score was only what it was due to some lucky penalties and turnovers that didn’t represent the rest of the game or its flow at all. The defense was not competitive today on the level we hope they’re capable of—and yes, I’ve factored in how damn good Herbert is, which plays into a point I’ve been trying to make around here for years: building an entire good D and keeping it together for any length of time and then hoping an average QB can ride it deep into the playoffs multiple times is a naive, dead dream from an earlier era.

4 hours ago, mistertim said:

Our #1 defensive line got shut down. We always make excuses for bad performances. Oh it’s preseason, oh its a rookie, oh the other player is superman and unstoppable. At a certain point the excuses have to stop.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I was pretty disappointed in the secondary.  I thought they were going to be legitimately good this year, and I still think that they will be.  They have talent and can figure it out.  They were bad today though.

Some match up issues popped up, you're bound to get that covering big receivers in the red zone.  Keenan Allen put a ****ing education on our backs.  That dude is an actual elite WR who has an argument for best route runner in the game and he is tremendously clutch.  And we also just got fooled over and over again on critical downs, which is a function of the Chargers having a group of coaches that are among the smartest in the league.  Our coaches are not that.  Most of them aren't stupid (can't speak for Del Rio or Turner) but none of them are brilliant.

5 hours ago, dyst said:

Our #1 defensive line got shut down. We always make excuses for bad performances. Oh it’s preseason, oh its a rookie, oh the other player is superman and unstoppable. At a certain point the excuses have to stop.

The DL had no chance to get to Herbert due to WR's and TE's running wide open..I thought it was the DL also,but after watching again,Herbert was getting rid of the ball really fast.

• Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, bh32 said:

The DL had no chance to get to Herbert due to WR's and TE's running wide open..I thought it was the DL also,but after watching again,Herbert was getting rid of the ball really fast.

If the D stays in that zone they will run wide open. To help the dline they need to run a man to man. Not to hard to figure out I thought.

1 hour ago, bh32 said:

This is both true and false. Our DL was getting handled even on plays Herbert held the ball. But yes, there were many plays that Herbert was just throwing the ball quickly on our soft zone. So we switched to man for a series and shut them down. Then right back to zone. Then some man... but with Kendall Fuller in man coverage (who is not good at it). So they picked on Fuller.

I'm disappointed with how little Kam Curl played as well. I'd rather him play in Fuller's spot in man coverage. And the fact he got less snaps than McCain and Collins is frustrating.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1