Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What are you eating right now?

Spaceman Spiff

My kids do not know the meaning of the word plot in a tv show. They watch endless youtube videos with what seems like no point. But what got my interest was a video 2 weeks ago about a mom and two sons making brownies. So i told them that at my first break in time I would try to make some brownies. 

First thing. I'm not a baker. 

Second thing. I don't like chocolate too much. 

So I am following an online recipe today (the bye week) but for White Chocolate Brownies instead of regular brownies.  So that's how I spent my bye week. 

Edit they turned out great. Even my wife was impressed. Those holes in the middle are from poking it to see if it was done yet. 20231210_155118.thumb.jpg.3da16827755c67e5bc0d4440119276f0.jpg

Edited by Thinking Skins
  • Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

Well, not right now, last night's dinner. 

I met a friend for lunch yesterday at a tavern I'd never been to.  The sandwich page had two columns, but at the top was a "banner" about their Beef on Weck.  I know lots of folks from Buffalo, and I've had a few over the years that have been good.  This particular place turned it up to 11.

Soft rye roll with caraway seeds, beef piled high (I added provolone), with raw horseradish, au jus, and homemade potato chips.  Absolutely amazing. 

20231214_175815.jpg

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been eating healthy today. 

Went to Jacks (a local fast food place) and had their biscuits and gravy + a Sausage Biscuit with Egg and cheese this morning. They have better biscuits and gravy than most restaurants. The ice coffee that my wife got was terrible though, she liked it, to me it tasted like they put straight sugar and creamer into the cup. No joke, 5x sweeter than ice cream. 

That was good enough so I went back later and got a double burger, fries, my wife loves their chicken so thats what she got. Their burgers are almost as good as Pal's but I'd have to drive at least an hour for one of those. 

Maybe I can start gaining some weight back now lol. 

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

I've been eating healthy today. 

Went to Jacks (a local fast food place) and had their biscuits and gravy + a Sausage Biscuit with Egg and cheese this morning. They have better biscuits and gravy than most restaurants. The ice coffee that my wife got was terrible though, she liked it, to me it tasted like they put straight sugar and creamer into the cup. No joke, 5x sweeter than ice cream. 

That was good enough so I went back later and got a double burger, fries, my wife loves their chicken so thats what she got. Their burgers are almost as good as Pal's but I'd have to drive at least an hour for one of those. 

Maybe I can start gaining some weight back now lol. 

So glad you've got your appetite back!  It took me forever, didn't know what I wanted, but I always love a lot of cow.  (I wanted Krystals right outta the hospital, nearby & on the way home, 😉✌).  

• Like 1

For you DC Moon Rabbit fans...

Moon Rabbit Lands in Penn Quarter With a Daring Collection of Vietnamese ****tails

The fine-dining gem reopens with dishes and drinks that share the same fermented ingredients

Chef Kevin Tien’s modern Vietnamese marvel Moon Rabbit made a triumphant comeback to D.C. on Monday, January 15 (927-929 F Street NW), reopening a 30-minute walk north from the Wharf original that suddenly closed last spring.

Menu prep work started months ago, long before the new Penn Quarter location was even announced, when Meyer lemons began patiently pickling behind the scenes in clear glass jars. The preserved fruit now finds a home in both a low-ABV highball — a slightly sour palate opener finished with the edible salted rind — as well as on a plate, as the kombucha base for his vibrant crudo. That kind of cross-pollination between the bar and kitchen is what Moon Rabbit 2.0 is all about, says Tien, giving true meaning to now-ubiquitous restaurant lingo like “zero waste” and “suggested ****tail pairings.”

https://dc.eater.com/2024/1/18/24041903/moon-rabbit-penn-quarter-vietnamese-****tails-dc-restaurant-openings

1 hour ago, dfitzo53 said:

Not to mention that farming meat is incredibly resource-intensive. In the long run, we need to find alternatives. 

2 hours ago, Dan T. said:

One thing I don't understand is vegetarians don't want to eat meat... but they buy and make so much food that tries to TASTE like meat.  Why?

41 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

awMnXVW_460s.jpg.bd78ca28887ef30777d5dfbd5038c22e.jpg

We don't go vegan because we don't like the taste or flavor. It's because of a few reasons. Main reason for climate change, main cause of premature health related deaths, it's absolutely animal cruelty, but it's never flavor.

Thought it would be good to move this here.

As I've gotten older, I've started to cut back - a lot - on red meat. Maybe once or twice a month I'll have a ground beef & steak once every 2-3 months. I've been filling the void with Impossible Meat - ground/burger, spicy sausage & steak tips (bought but haven't tried yet). Both the burger & sausage are very good. Other non-meat options I've tried: Boka burgers, Trader Joe's Masala burgers, Morningstar sausage patties. These, too, are very good. 

Publix runs their BOGO on all of these quite often & I stock up on them. I've purchased the Costco sized Morningstar sausage but it hasn't been in stock for a while.  All are very good deals vs. the price of meat. 

Edit: Adding - the Beyond Meat options I've tried have all been very good. 

Edited by EmirOfShmo
  • Like 1

About to have a second dinner of the day (already ate at 7 pm, going to eat again). Made this pasta with ground chicken and homemade sauce yesterday. The ground meat turner is pretty efficient and breaks down the glob of ground meat into edible portions.