Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Thread: Preseason 2021 - Football Team vs. Ravens

zCommander

Sean McVay is a good winning head coach and he didn’t trot out his starters this year. The NFL season is arduous. Every game takes a toll on the body similar to being in a car wreck. Why would you put your star players in extra car wrecks? 

Freakk accidents in practice are not the same as what happened to Dobbins. He got hit hard in a meaningless game and won’t be on the field this year. Maybe we should ask him how it feels? This is most likely the beginning of the end for him. And for what? John Harboughs Ego?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rex Tomb said:

How would it feel if Antonio Gibson played and was injured last night in a meaningless game? Would you feel less optimistic about the upcoming season? Would you be pissed at the coaching staff for playing a key player in a game that means nothing?  I know I would be.

129-79 in 13 years.  620 winning percentage, 2 Super Bowl wins and according to y’all he’s doing it all wrong. SMH!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

56 minutes ago, Florgon79 said:

Sean McVay is a good winning head coach and he didn’t trot out his starters this year. The NFL season is arduous. Every game takes a toll on the body similar to being in a car wreck. Why would you put your star players in extra car wrecks? 

Freakk accidents in practice are not the same as what happened to Dobbins. He got hit hard in a meaningless game and won’t be on the field this year. Maybe we should ask him how it feels? This is most likely the beginning of the end for him. And for what? John Harboughs Ego?

Then what do you say about Belichick who had his starters playing? 

1 minute ago, No Nonsense said:

Then what do you say about Belichick who had his starters playing? 

I would say that’s probably not a good idea. At this time with only three preseason games being the new normal it’s hard to tell what the best strategy is going to be but I would say if you have a roster and staff that consistently wins ten games and makes the playoffs, then I don’t see the point in risking your starters.  Also I think the Patriots are in a much more precarious position than the Ravens. They have a huge question at QB and need to prove the success wasn’t all Brady.

The argument seems to be that starting them and winning all games regardless of whether they count towards the playoffs is why these teams are more successful then I think we need to dive deeper and see if that’s actually true or not. If memory serves the Patriots don’t have some crazy win record for preseason games like the Ravens, and yet they have a whole lot more super bowls in the same timespan. 

2 hours ago, Riggodrill44 said:

You need to adjust your thought process. We need to be more like the Ravens.

The RB, got hurt. Would it matter if he got hurt in pregame warmup before the first game? 

Trying to avoid injury is futile.

If you could snap your fingers and switch the outcome of Saturdays game to 37 to 3 in our favor while looking like we dominated in every facet of the game but we lose antonio gibson for the season would you do it?

• Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Riggodrill44 said:

129-79 in 13 years.  620 winning percentage, 2 Super Bowl wins and according to y’all he’s doing it all wrong. SMH!

1 Super Bowl win. They would have won anyways without playing Dobbins. Didn't make sense. He should have known that with the 2 QB's we were going to use last night.

3 hours ago, Riggodrill44 said:

I still don’t get what your argument is. People are saying he clearly made a mistake. Are you saying because if his record it doesn’t matter or that it was clearly the right thing to do because the record (that has literally nothing to do with it) is positive? 

Also clearly the player in question doesn’t agree with you. And I would bet there are multiple others who he’s talking to that are atleast sympathetic. That’s not a good bug to have in your locker room to start the season imo. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Llevron said:

I still don’t get what your argument is. People are saying he clearly made a mistake. Are you saying because if his record it doesn’t matter or that it was clearly the right thing to do because the record (that has literally nothing to do with it) is positive? 

Also clearly the player in question doesn’t agree with you. And I would bet there are multiple others who he’s talking to that are atleast sympathetic. That’s not a good bug to have in your locker room to start the season imo. 

Look at their record. What they do works. That's why coaches coach and players play. It's pretty irrelevant what the players think about when they should play, coach decision. Until it doesn't work they're going to keep doing and keep playing just like this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Riggodrill44 said:

Look at their record. What they do works. That's why coaches coach and players play. It's pretty irrelevant what the players think about when they should play, coach decision. Until it doesn't work they're going to keep doing and keep playing just like this.

It's not about whether he's a good coach with a good record, I don't think that's debatable.

What is debatable is whether or not that makes him infallible and in my opinion it doesn't.

His desire to win every preseason game unlike every other coach pretty much in the history of the league very well may have cost him his starting tailback for the season and it's fair to question whether that's a flaw in an otherwise excellent coach.

• Like 1

My take is the Ravens being a good team has nothing to do with their preseason record. I'd argue that they would be an even better team if their coach wasn't obsessed with winning games that their opposition doesn't care about. Losing your best RB for the season does not improve your chances of getting to the superbowl.

And then there's this is, which is from 2019 but is still relevant:

"the 2013 Seattle Seahawks are one of 27 teams to run the table in preseason over the last 14 years. But that is where it gets a little strange. Of those preseason perfectionists, not much went right afterwards. The 27 flawless teams went on to a combined record of 198-235. Collectively, they performed 23 games worse than those same teams in the previous season."

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/nfl/heres-why-nfl-preseason-wins-matter-but-going-undefeated-could-spell-doom

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

That tweet that Dobbins liked is from the Niece of the owner of the Ravens. She’s not wrong either imo. It’s the risk you take playing starters in preseason. To each their own. I’d rather have a full squad injury free headed into the season. 

and if we are honest it’s better to start slower and get it together in the middle of the season than start hot and fizzle out in December.  If they can still win a few early games while not firing on all cylinders yet…great.  

The season is a marathon not a sprint.

Edited by Painkiller
  • Like 2

It seems we're back to the 'you've gotta play in preseason to get ready for the season' vs. 'just make it to the regular season healthy" argument again.  It seems the opinions on that vary as to how much one likes the head coach at the time.  At the end of the day, there are positive and negative examples to support each side of the argument.

What I can say with absolute certainty was that game happened to be the biggest snooze fest I've seen in a long time, even for a preseason.  I've never been one to put much stock in preseason wins and losses, but to say that getting trounced like that, didn't give me pause about the depth of our football team - I'd be lying.  *Fingers crossed* that it was an anomaly and we are much more competitive than that when it really matters.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

What I can say with absolute certainty was that game happened to be the biggest snooze fest I've seen in a long time, even for a preseason.  I've never been one to put much stock in preseason wins and losses, but to say that getting trounced like that, didn't give me pause about the depth of our football team - I'd be lying.  *Fingers crossed* that it was an anomaly and we are much more competitive than that when it really matters.

I think this is a fair evaluation - it's not the loss that's important, it's the manner of the loss and how the second and third stringers failed to perform.

However, now we know there's not as much depth as we hoped beyond the starters, and the coaches have time to do something about it. If we'd played our starters every half of our preseason games we could still be in blissful ignorance about some of the players who failed to show up the other night when given the chance.

Look, I can't say who should or shouldn't play in preseason, thats up to the coach to decide. However, does anyone really think that Harbough put Dobbins in because he needed the reps or extra game time? Is that why you all think he played so many starters against scrubs, because they needed the reps? He did it for his ego and his ego alone. If these guys needed to be on the field and got hurt, well...thats the nature of the beast. To have a season ending injury because the coach wanted to win a preseason game against an opponent that barely even thinks about you...pathetic.

A lot of people here (along with myself) have been saying that the Raven always play us in preseason like its a regular season game or something. I guess we weren't wrong.

• Like 3

The final score of a preseason game does not matter. We all know this. By the 4th quarter you have the practice squad in or you face a team like the preseason champion Ravens. 

However, our first unit didn't create a scoring drive the entire preseason. 

Saying that matters is not the same argument as saying the final score matters. We've watched that translate into the regular season for decades.(even Osaka days, our first team offense didn't roll out there and dominate against the opposing starters)

The coaches didn't trot out the starters in the 3rd game so they're confident though. Based on history I'm skeptical. On paper I'm optimistic at least. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mooka said:

The final score of a preseason game does not matter. We all know this. By the 4th quarter you have the practice squad in or you face a team like the preseason champion Ravens. 

However, our first unit didn't create a scoring drive the entire preseason. 

Saying that matters is not the same argument as saying the final score matters. We've watched that translate into the regular season for decades.(even Osaka days, our first team offense didn't roll out there and dominate against the opposing starters)

The coaches didn't trot out the starters in the 3rd game so they're confident though. Based on history I'm skeptical. On paper I'm optimistic at least. 

And we're the only team in the East with a win :ols:

• Haha 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, dckey said:

We only played 47 of the 80 players and that is including the 3 special teams players!!!  Knowing that, I really could have went out and had a few drinks instead of staying home to watch that BS!!!

Yes. You could have. But you didn’t. 

that’s on you :P make smarter choices next time. 

• Thumb up 1