Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Roster Thread or similar ;)

KDawg

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

So Ricky Seals-Jones, a semi surprise land on the roster?  I gather though more moves are coming so this roster isn't set yet. 

A couple days ago another poster commented that if Reyes makes the roster then it’s likely Seals-Jones gets cut. I thought the opposite. I thought that it just about guarantees Seals-Jones makes it because right now Reyes’ value is Teams and blocking - meaning he’s not a complete TE; Seals-Jones is. But I agree, I don’t think this group of TEs will stay this way for long. Anyways, it’s remarkable a guy who’s never played football can make the roster of an NFL team. There has to be more to Reyes I’m not seeing or reading about. 

31 minutes ago, Panninho said:

Someone has probably mentioned it before, but I am really sure vaccination status cost some players their roster spot (e.g. Cam Newton) or at least played a big role in their release. Got to wonder if that's also true for someone on our team.

Even if it didn't impact the decesion to cut a player I bet it factors into the decision by teams to pick up said player off waivers.

7 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Deandre Carter better be the league leader in returns !

1 minute ago, KillBill26 said:

Agreed, we will probably regret keeping him over AGG.

What did you say in AGG that makes you think this was such a bad decision?

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

Official word about it from the whole NFL will be: No players have been cut because he's not vaccinated.

Unofficially though, you bet some got cut because of this. The reason being the first quality for any player in any team sport is "availabiity". If you're on the sideline because of [iinsert your favorite reason here (health or not], then you're useless to the team and don't deserve to make the roster.

That's just like players being cut because of injuries concerns. Happens all the time.

Simple as that. If you can't play, you're out of the team. No matter the reason why.

of course, and I don't blame teams for doing that while not admitting it. If you have to choose between two guys and it's close. The guy who has been vaxxed is getting that spot. The other guy now hits the streets and has to wait like 5 days from agreeing to join a team. So, vaxxed free agents will get picked up quicker too. 

Teams wants guys who can participate. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Borgold said:

What did you say in AGG that makes you think this was such a bad decision?

I'm not a fan of carrying a wr who is strictly a returner, unless he is very good as a returner.  I don't believe Carter is.  And he is approaching 30, so he doesn't have much of a future here.

AGG on the other hand, was drafted knowing he is raw and needed time.  I'd rather give him another year to develop to see how he looks at the end of he year, and let someone else return punta this year.  He is young enough where if he did play an effective role, he could be here a while.  Carter is not going to be here more than a couple years tops.

I'm not losing any sleep over it, but I disagree with it.

What makes you feel it was such a good decision?

• Like 1

I'm just happy that none of the beat guys had a clue as to who RR and Co. were keeping/cutting, really not a clue.

I must admit that the Moreland release was a head scratcher especially when they kept Apke. I guess the dude is 100% effort and pretty coachable or he's got pics of dan and some livestock because it has not shown up on gameday yet   

2 hours ago, mistertim said:

Just based on my relatively small viewing sample size, Milne already looked to me like a superior route runner to AGG, even though he's a rookie. Rivera even said that Milne was ahead of where most rookies would be, and usually the route running is the biggest place rookie receivers tend to struggle.

I always thought the biggest struggle was run blocking, gaining separation, putting in the time and effort needed mentally and physically, getting timing down with QB, and excelling on teams.  In summary, it aint easy being a rook WR and I am thrilled DAX is doing well thus far.

It seemed like we went 2-3 decades before we had young WRs contributing...

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

Agreed, we will probably regret keeping him over AGG.

Decent chance AGG just ends up on the PS developing the way people want anyways. It shows just how pathetic our punt return situation has been for so long, any amount of positive yardage and mostly non-muffed fair catches is worth a roster spot here, to Rivera.

I also like that this staff can move on from a draft choice that was a mistake, as AGG in the 4th clearly was poor value even if he makes it to our PS. Turner might have pounded the table for him, but it’s good that they can admit a mistake. There were many, many years that underwhelming or straight up bad players stayed on this roster because the FO wanted their draft picks to make the team regardless, or it would look bad. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Decent chance AGG just ends up on the PS developing the way people want anyways. It shows just how pathetic our punt return situation has been for so long, any amount of positive yardage and mostly non-muffed fair catches is worth a roster spot here, to Rivera.

I also like that this staff can move on from a draft choice that was a mistake, as AGG in the 4th clearly was poor value even if he makes it to our PS. Turner might have pounded the table for him, but it’s good that they can admit a mistake. There were many, many years that underwhelming or straight up bad players stayed on this roster because the FO wanted their draft picks to make the team regardless, or it would look bad. 

You aren't kidding, i've gotten used to yelling at my tv "just go down" on every punt return bc we rarely get positive outcomes, only negative ones.

While it is good that the FO can admit a mistake, it's not good that they draft a guy knowing he needs time to develop, but cut him before giving him time to develop.  Last year, with no preseason and his hamstring injury, it wasn't even a full season.  And they cut him before year 2 begins. 

I hope we get him back on PS, I'd like him to have another shot with us.  If Deandre Carter ends up being a game changer, I'll be the first to happily admit I was wrong.  I just don't see that happening.   

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KillBill26 said:

You aren't kidding, i've gotten used to yelling at my tv "just go down" on every punt return bc we rarely get positive outcomes, only negative ones.

Or feeling like both, calling a Fair Catch, AND actually catching a Fair Catch, was something to cheer about, as an accomplishment and a relief.

As opposed to negative yards or a muffed punt.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Riggo-toni said:

I mist admit, I am surprised Milne made it over AGG, who I thought had a better preseason, especially since we already have so many small WRs. With him and Harmon gone, do we have a big body outside of Cam Sims?

IMO, AGG is just a big, slow guy.  I can't imagine him getting open against anybody.  Regarding the "eye test," every time I saw him run I wanted to close my eyes.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Will be interesting to see who gets cut when they bring in a LB or 2.

Hopefully Carter.

Carter, Forrest and Roberts are the ones I see as the least safe that have made it this far.  However, I think Carter is the safest of them 3.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1