Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Roster Thread or similar ;)

KDawg

What exactly does Sims Jr. have going for him though? He's basically a pure slot guy on a team that now has 2 other much better slot type guys in Samuel and Humphries. Sure, he can return kicks but he's not really that good at it and he also has issues with his hands.

Assuming the guys who are basically locks are McLaurin, Samuel, Humphries, and Brown that leaves 2 spots. I've never been all that high on him, but from what's been said the team really likes Cam Sims so he's likely going to make it. Assuming they keep 6 that will leave 1 spot open, and the most likely candidates are Sims Jr., AGG, Milne, and Carter.

Sims is pure slot, has drop issues, but can return kicks. AGG has the size, catch radius, and can play outside, but doesn't return kicks and he's still an unknown with no production. Milne is a rookie so is an unknown but he reportedly so far has shown excellent hands, can play inside or outside, and can return kicks. Carter is a pretty good return guy and apparently runs good routes, but has almost no production as a WR over his career so far.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

I’m sticking by my thoughts…

Tight ends will be Thomas, Bates, Reyes

RBs: Gibson, McKissick, Patterson

I could see us keeping a 4th in either place but those are the 3 guys in my eyes.

Agree with you on the TEs.  Disagree on the RBs.  You need at least one RB who can pass protect.  JD is too small.  Gibson was pretty bad last year honestly (he caused the sack that led to Kyle Allen's injury).  Patterson is a rookie and raw in pass pro.  Barber is the only RB who can pass protect (he's pretty good).  

5 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

Agree with you on the TEs.  Disagree on the RBs.  You need at least one RB who can pass protect.  JD is too small.  Gibson was pretty bad last year honestly (he caused the sack that led to Kyle Allen's injury).  Patterson is a rookie and raw in pass pro.  Barber is the only RB who can pass protect (he's pretty good).  

To be fair, I did say a 4th could be kept in either spot. But… you can use any of the TEs (Bates in particular but maybe Sammis) as a HBack/Fullback/Wing as well. 

A lot of ways to skin a cat.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, mhd24 said:

Your backup RBs MUST play special teams.  JD is too small to do it.  Gibson won't play teams because he's the starter.  That leaves Barber.  Patterson, IMO, is too small to play teams.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but does PR/KR duties make one a special-teamer? or do you need to be on coverage packages as well?

Week 1 is becoming a big game for us, home game vs the Chargers. If we can win that game the NYG get us on a short week with a putrid offensive line. Should be a field day for our boys. 2-0 start would go a long way to having a great season. We owe the NYG big time. 

• Like 11

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

What exactly does Sims Jr. have going for him though? He's basically a pure slot guy on a team that now has 2 other much better slot type guys in Samuel and Humphries. Sure, he can return kicks but he's not really that good at it and he also has issues with his hands.

Assuming the guys who are basically locks are McLaurin, Samuel, Humphries, and Brown that leaves 2 spots. I've never been all that high on him, but from what's been said the team really likes Cam Sims so he's likely going to make it. Assuming they keep 6 that will leave 1 spot open, and the most likely candidates are Sims Jr., AGG, Milne, and Carter.

Sims is pure slot, has drop issues, but can return kicks. AGG has the size, catch radius, and can play outside, but doesn't return kicks and he's still an unknown with no production. Milne is a rookie so is an unknown but he reportedly so far has shown excellent hands, can play inside or outside, and can return kicks. Carter is a pretty good return guy and apparently runs good routes, but has almost no production as a WR over his career so far.

Sims Jr has exactly one thing going for him, and it is a big one - quickness.  Makes him look tantalizing.  To be fair to him, I guess I should add that I think he’s a pretty good route runner too.  The problem I have is everything else is sub par (and that’s being kind).  Blocking, inability to play outside, fumbles, suspect hands, small catch radius, etc.  And of course, the only ST role he could play (PR), there’s no dependability - drops, fumbles and inability to get much in the way of positive yardage - all around bad showing last year. 

Needless to say, I’m absolutely ok with moving on from him.  If the coaches feel like he’s made strides with his hands though, I can understand if they give him another chance.  I don’t even think he’d really be the direct backup to Humphries - I think Samuel would move inside and they’d put Brown or Cam at Z in 3 receiver sets. 

Personally, if you’re going to take a bit of a gamble on a guy for one of those final roster spots, I’m gonna choose the rookie Milne as we have him under contract for the next 4 years and he’s shown some promise.  He’s not as quick as Sims Jr, but he also doesn’t seem to have the weaknesses SJ has either.  I think there are two wildcard factors though - Carter’s return ability versus Milne’s, and (if they try him out there) how Patterson looks on returns.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, terpfan said:

“Should have traded up for Fields” is so funny to me. Like OK, with who? For what? It’s not just a button you hit and it happens. For starters, we would have had to go up to at least pick 9, from 19. There’s no way the NFC East teams picking 10-12 were gift wrapping us a starting QB. So now we’re assuming the Broncos were interested in trading, which may or may not even have been true. 

I distinctly recall a "force trade" button, so you're wrong.

• Haha 6

3 hours ago, mhd24 said:

Your backup RBs MUST play special teams.  JD is too small to do it.  Gibson won't play teams because he's the starter.  That leaves Barber.  Patterson, IMO, is too small to play teams.

Didn't Sproles who is shorter play special teams?

I don’t think Patterson is too small to play teams.  He’s denser than most corners and probably most safeties/receivers that play teams.  His shorter arms (I’m making an assumption here) and lack of length could be a detriment, but he also has the quickness and balance to mirror a shifty returner, and certainly has adequate speed to get down the field.  Probably harder for blockers to get and keep hands on him too, and being stouter makes it a bit tougher to push him off his line.  I’m not saying he’ll excel out there, just that I don’t think his stature would necessarily preclude it.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

He's not the only one.  I was calling for him among others in the 7th round before he ended up undrafted.  I was jazzed as heck when they signed him.  Posted a lot about it on the Patterson thread. 

Forgot whom, maybe it was Keim, who said Barber is a borderline lock.  Said they heard they are high on Barber and want someone who can get short distance yards like him.   And for Patterson to make it, which he might, they thought it was about having a 4th RB on the roster which is a possibility versus beating Barber.  I guess we will see though.   

A short-yardage guy as good as Barber was last season is great. However, Barber proved that he is not the guy to backup Gibson. McKissic also looks like a guy who would have a focused role. While Gibson is a primary back, he still needs a guy good for several snaps a game plus a possible full game or three that doesn't change what the offense can do.

Edited by Darth Tater
  • Like 3

44 minutes ago, RawRebel said:

Didn't Sproles who is shorter play special teams?

He absolutely did and was a very good return guy....

19 minutes ago, Darth Tater said:

A short-yardage guy as good as Barber was last season is great. However, Barber proved that he is not the guy to backup Gibson. McKissic also looks like a guy who would have a focused role. While Gibson is a primary back, he still needs a guy good for several snaps a game plus a possible full game or three that doesn't change what the offense can do.

Barber is a guy they trust as a solid, reliable pro. He's not gonna hit homeruns but he's also not gonna get your QB killed. 

1 hour ago, mudhog said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but does PR/KR duties make one a special-teamer? or do you need to be on coverage packages as well?

Coverage.  That's why Brian Mitchell was so valuable.  He returned both punts and kickoffs, was an excellent 3rd down back, and played coverage (was the up-back).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

Coverage.  That's why Brian Mitchell was so valuable.  He returned both punts and kickoffs, was an excellent 3rd down back, and played coverage (was the up-back).

Hell, Mitchell played QB too.  That was his college position.

31 minutes ago, GothSkinsFan said:

Hell, Mitchell played QB too.  That was his college position.

...and he's #2 in total All Purpose Yards behind Jerry Rice and the only HOF eligible player in the top 10 APYd who is not in the HOF. 

Dude should have a gold jacket. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

5 hours ago, KDawg said:

Patterson anchors poorly in pass pro. If you watch on the plays he got destroyed his base wasn’t great, got on his heels and dropped.

He is not a guy who will be able to carry the ball 20+ and pass protect 15+ and be a factor in the pass game. There’s too much contact there (and not because he’s a scat back, but because those hits add up). He might hold up doing that but his effectiveness will dwindle. He’s probably okay for 10-20ish touches and 5-10 pass pro reps at his size given technique is corrected.

He is super raw in pass pro.

As far as specs go, his stature doesn’t make him any less effective than some other guys. In fact the taller guys at the same weight are probably more prone to getting hurt on any single play given the leverage against them versus leverage in Patterson’s favor. 

There's an additional problem with the new rule change for a 15-yrd personal foul for a low block.  In general defenses get bonus as you're not allowed to block below the knees.  Geez if Patterson barley squats in a ready position he's heading for a kneecap.  His 5'6" height does matter.

giphy.gif