Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to Washington Benjamin St-Juste, CB Minnesota

zCommander

I watched a few Minnesota games last year, not at all focused on St-Juste.   What happened to Minnesota's defense from 2019 to 2020 was surprising in a bad way.  A big part of their top 10 finish in 2019 was the defense along with a potent offense that had Tyler Johnson and Bateman at receiver.  In 2020, the offense took a small step back and the defense fell back in a much bigger way.   I am a huge Maryland fan and after passing for about 100 yards in his first ever start, Taulia threw for 400 against Minnesota.  That said it was not just the corners that were bad, they could  not stop the outside run, the inside run, the underneath passing game and the deeper passing game.  Their defense regressed in a serious way.   That said he was a starter on the 2019 defense that was really good.

Edited by philibusters

10 hours ago, China said:

I'm not sure who put that video together, but if those are his top 9 plays last year, that's not very impressive.  The first play they show he doesn't do anything but watch the receiver go out of bounds after he makes the catch.  There's not a single interception.  Did he make any?  On the plus side, he does show good tackling.

I thought the same thing. It looked like a tutorial on how to let a receiver make a catch in front of you. I have to trust the process though.

I'm not sure who put that video together, but if those are his top 9 plays last year, that's not very impressive.  The first play they show he doesn't do anything but watch the receiver go out of bounds after he makes the catch.  There's not a single interception.  Did he make any?  On the plus side, he does show good tackling.

The first writeup I read on him said something like "Not a big playmaker, but he wins almost all of the 50-50s."  

Is that good enough to be the #2 corner?  

51 minutes ago, philibusters said:

I watched a few Minnesota games last year, not at all focused on St-Juste.   What happened to Minnesota's defense from 2019 to 2020 was surprising in a bad way.  A big part of their top 10 finish in 2019 was the defense along with a potent offense that had Tyler Johnson and Bateman at receiver.  In 2020, the offense took a small step back and the defense fell back in a much bigger way.   I am a huge Maryland fan and after passing for about 100 yards in his first ever start, Taulia threw for 400 against Minnesota.  That said it was just the corners that were bad, they could stop the outside run, the inside run, the underneath passing game and the deeper passing game.  Their defense regressed in a serious way.   That said he was a starter on the 2019 defense that was really good.

I think I read he only played a few games for them this year. Was out with covid. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Fresh8686 said:

I’m high on this kid because he showed out in the senior bowl and actually shows the rare mix of aggression/edge to match his elite length and very good press coverage. 

For those saying it was a reach, Ron said he had a team calling to trade up to that pick and after we picked BSJ that same team called back and said that was going to be their guy. 

Scouts love this dude and see him as possibly the next Richard Sherman. He’s got a ways to go on that, but with Chris Harris coaching him up I’m excited to finally have a big body corner hopefully pan out for us. 

We all have to remember Sherman (and his CB mate Bademosi) sucked in college. Sherman got killed by Michael Floyd, Juron Criner and a number of other receivers. Sometimes, it takes the right coaching

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Maybe he never got a pick, because teams were utterly terrified to ever throw anywhere on his half of the field.

Usually that happens because the CB keeps getting picks lol...

I had to rewatch the first "highlight" 3 times trying to find the highlight lol...

Edited by Califan007
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

You dont draft a kid for what he is at 21-22. You draft him for what he can do for you in your scheme, under your coaching, at 25-26. 

Considering he was drafted by us, it's possible he won't have the same coaching staff in a year or two :P

• Sad 1

Just heard from him in a french (RDS.CA) TV interview that he is very excited and a bit surprised to be here (even if we had a few interview with him, he hadn't feel that they wanted him that much and he is really happy about it) , he is very happy that the team seem to have a plan for him, he is willing to follow whatever the plan is, open to plan  FS or DB or ST. He wanna ball and he is gonna give everything he have to fulfill is dream!

• Like 7

These guys both ran a 3.96 shuttle.

Darren Sproles is 5’6 and 190lbs

Benjamin St-Juste is 6’3 and 202lbs

That should NOT be possible

Flushed face

Benjamin St-Juste ran a 6.63 3-Cone. Here’s some perspective on how that would rank among all combine participants;

2020: 1st

2019: t-2nd

2018: 9th

2017: 4th

2016: 4th

2015: t-2nd

2014: t-6th

2013: 3rd

2012: t-7th

Edited by COWBOY-KILLA-
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Rivera being interviewed now.  St Juste reminds him of James Bradberry and Norman some.  They like his athletic upside -- length and runs well for his size.  They see him as a corner.  There is a chance he could play safety but he said but they are looking at him as a corner. 

• Thanks 2

On 5/1/2021 at 7:33 AM, profusion said:

You can never have too many DBs, really. I like this pick.

Stroman could be on his way out. We also got Daryl Roberts, an under-the-radar signing.

I at least hope Stroman added some weight. I would always cringe at the thought or sight of him getting hit, or making a hit, like his bones might crumble in the process.

13 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Rivera being interviewed now.  St Juste reminds him of James Bradberry and Norman some.  They like his athletic upside -- length and runs well for his size.  They see him as a corner.  There is a chance he could play safety but he said but they are looking at him as a corner. 

I don't think he has the top end speed to play FS really. I think he can be a solid man to man outside CB after a year or two of being in RIvera's system.

I’ve heard some safety talk but I definitely see him as a man corner. He’s got elite length, and elite short area quickness. There will be coverage over the top to help. 

we should be giving BSJ an equal amount of praise for his 3 cone as we all ripped DK Metcalf for his 

I think in 2 corner sets, he’s off the field unless against guys like Golladay maybe.

In 3 corner sets, he’ll play outside and push Kendall to slot (if all are healthy)

• Like 6

I am going to keep it real and admit this was the only pick that I disagreed with. I think our coaches see potential based on his size and agility workout numbers, but he will need a LOT of coaching on actually playing the game of football. 

His tape is... interesting. Lots of clips of him giving up catches, though with minimal yards after the catch. Lots of clips of him playing off on 3rd down and giving up the 1st down catch right in front of him(we know all about this technique). He even has a clip of him coming up to stop a jet sweep before getting completely ran over... in his highlights. The ball carrier trips over his body afterwards so I guess it's okay, but he really looks awkward out there.

I'll trust the coaches on this one, and I'll be pleasantly surprised if they groom him into a serviceable DB. I'd personally feel more comfortable with Roberts or Moreland as our next CBs to touch the field though. If he does work out, that is a huge credit to our coaching staff.

@IrepDC have you checked out his play in the senior bowl? One thing I like about pretty much all of the picks this year, is that all of them are on an upward trend and with the right coaching and environment can grow further. That's why so many teams draft Senior Bowl risers, because a big question that not many on the outside think about is how are college coaches holding a player back? Or maybe it's better to say, how much more can they flourish and grow with NFL caliber coaching? IMO BSJ is an example of this dynamic. He has a lot more growing to do, but he has shown growth and he has the physical and mental traits to keep growing while also being in an environment where he doesn't have to immediately be the guy and can take his time.

Edited by Fresh8686
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Fresh8686 said:

@IrepDC have you checked out his play in the senior bowl? One thing I like about pretty much all of the picks this year, is that all of them are on an upward trend and with the right coaching and environment can grow further. That's why so many teams draft Senior Bowl risers, because a big question that not many on the outside think about is how are college coaches holding a player back? Or maybe it's better to say, how much more can they flourish and grow with NFL caliber coaching? IMO BSJ is an example of this dynamic. He has a lot more growing to do, but he has shown growth and he has the physical and mental traits to keep growing while also being in an environment where he doesn't have to immediately be the guy and take his time.

That is a reasonable take. He showed out at the Senior Bowl and that was playing aggressive press man coverage. At Minnesota he was usually off the ball so like you said, maybe his college coach wasn't playing him to his strengths. He looks a lot more comfortable when he is able to get hands on the WR and disrupt the route. That plays well into our DL so while I admittedly didn't agree with the pick, I can see what the coaches are thinking. He does seem to have the mindset and heart to be successful. He just needs to be coached up.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1