Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to Washington Benjamin St-Juste, CB Minnesota

zCommander

On 5/2/2021 at 10:52 PM, LetMeSeeYourWarFace21 said:

Beyond football, his parents and all who are a part of his life should be very proud of him.  I just met him in this video and I can say that I am.  May he continue to be the humble, grounded, sober-minded, hard working young man he appears to be.  And may his dream of being an outstanding football player and productive member of society come true.

Whether he makes it as a professional football player or not, I am a huge fan.  Him shutting down receivers on Sundays would only be icing on the cake.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, IrepDC said:

That is a reasonable take. He showed out at the Senior Bowl and that was playing aggressive press man coverage. At Minnesota he was usually off the ball so like you said, maybe his college coach wasn't playing him to his strengths. He looks a lot more comfortable when he is able to get hands on the WR and disrupt the route. That plays well into our DL so while I admittedly didn't agree with the pick, I can see what the coaches are thinking. He does seem to have the mindset and heart to be successful. He just needs to be coached up.

His 3 cone time and fluid hips should signify he can really develop as a press corner.  Nature of press is aggressively in your face to how the WR releases off the Line of Scrimmage.  But there's a lot of reaction in press, you can't declare before the WR does and if a quality WR gets you to step/extend first, you have to recover fast.

I think I'm warming up to this guy as a worthwhile high ceiling developmental prospect.  Assuming he's used for Press.  This would put Kendall Fuller inside for Nickel, which we know he can do...and hopefully he'd be ok with.

This would mark the second year where a prospect has supposedly elevated their value on our Big Board due to the Senior Bowl showing something new.  Antonio Gibson last year where he was used mostly as a RB in the Senior Bowl compared to Slot WR in College.  Now there's BSJ where he's press-man in Senior Bowl compared to Off and backpedal or slide-shuffle technique for a majority of the time.

• Like 6

I like all the picks except this one. I assume they were looking at CB Ifeatu Melifonwu in round 3 until Detroit grabbed him at #38 in round 3. He’s way more polished that St. Juste. No matter I hope he turns out to be a gem.

49 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

His 3 cone time and fluid hips should signify he can really develop as a press corner.  Nature of press is aggressively in your face to how the WR releases off the Line of Scrimmage.  But there's a lot of reaction in press, you can't declare before the WR does and if a quality WR gets you to step/extend first, you have to recover fast.

I think I'm warming up to this guy as a worthwhile high ceiling developmental prospect.  Assuming he's used for Press.  This would put Kendall Fuller inside for Nickel, which we know he can do...and hopefully he'd be ok with.

This would mark the second year where a prospect has supposedly elevated their value on our Big Board due to the Senior Bowl showing something new.  Antonio Gibson last year where he was used mostly as a RB in the Senior Bowl compared to Slot WR in College.  Now there's BSJ where he's press-man in Senior Bowl compared to Off and backpedal or slide-shuffle technique for a majority of the time.

That's definitely his projection- a big press man corner. To me he looks like a completely different player in press vs off coverage. He plays very conservative in off coverage seemingly content with making the tackle after the catch. Looking at his highlights, he doesn't seem to contest many passes from off coverage either. Then you see him at the Senior Bowl and wonder what Minnesota was doing with him. He is contesting every ball thrown at him and actually playing aggressive. I agree his physical traits lend well to press coverage, and since he didn't play much in college, he probably has a lot of room to grow and be coached up on techniques.

The key will be our coaches using him to his strengths. He he would have been terrible with any of our previous D Coordinators 10 yards off the ball coverages, but in the aggressive man scheme we seem to be building, he can flourish. It only takes a bit of disruption at the LOS to throw a WR and QBs timing off before the QB has to move to the next read. That split second shows up in the sack totals by the end of the season.

He will need time to grow though so we will need to be patient. The good thing about basically all of our picks is that they play special teams. He will get his feet wet there and we shouldn't need to rely on him at CB out the gate. Given a few years he could be a solid #2 or #3 Corner and that's fine. His strengths do fit in with the scheme we are building.

• Like 2

Hate to be a downer, but we could lose St-Juste.  He's ranked pretty high amongst the DBs entering the CFL draft tonight.  Damnit Canada!

Follow up on the CFL draft:  St-Juste was drafted #52 by the Toronto Argonauts lol.  

Edited by drowland
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, drowland said:

Hate to be a downer, but we could lose St-Juste.  He's ranked pretty high amongst the DBs entering the CFL draft tonight.  Damnit Canada!

IF he leaves the NFL For he CFL, he's a complete idiot!  I said it!  You go from the CFL to the NFL not the NFL to the CFL.  

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, RWJ said:

IF he leaves the NFL For he CFL, he's a complete idiot!  I said it!  You go from the CFL to the NFL not the NFL to the CFL.  

I'm being sarcastic, it's just funny some of those guys who just got drafted in the NFL are there.  I guess everyone Canadian born is eligible for the CFL draft.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RWJ said:

So CB it is...

Also mentioned how St-Juste will allow them to play the same scheme on both sides of the field. Sounds like he thinks that at least some of the time, Fuller will be inside and WJIII and St. Juste outside. He also sounded more excited about the 3rd round pick than I would have expected. And that wasn't the case at all about out later picks. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

Also mentioned how St-Juste will allow them to play the same scheme on both sides of the field. Sounds like he thinks that at least some of the time, Fuller will be inside and WJIII and St. Juste outside. He also sounded more excited about the 3rd round pick than I would have expected. And that wasn't the case at all about out later picks. 

I think we hear more from JDR as time goes on about the later D picks.  

6 hours ago, RWJ said:

I think we hear more from JDR as time goes on about the later D picks.  

He talked about them. JDR beamed about Jamin Davis. Cat that ate the canary. He sounded excited about St-Juste and stated that he would let them play the same scheme on both sides of the field, etc. About Forrest he said, "He's going to start on special teams." About our 7th round picks he basically said, "7th round picks are a shot in the dark and first and foremost need to worry about making the team". I bring this up only to point out that JDR isn't going to sugar coat things and has significant expectations out of St Jude. 

I wonder if, given his length and short area quickness, we might initially see more of St-Juste in the red zone where those strengths will be maximized and the lack of elite long speed won't be exposed. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

He talked about them. JDR beamed about Jamin Davis. Cat that ate the canary. He sounded excited about St-Juste and stated that he would let them play the same scheme on both sides of the field, etc. About Forrest he said, "He's going to start on special teams." About our 7th round picks he basically said, "7th round picks are a shot in the dark and first and foremost need to worry about making the team". I bring this up only to point out that JDR isn't going to sugar coat things and has significant expectations out of St Jude. 

I wonder if, given his length and short area quickness, we might initially see more of St-Juste in the red zone where those strengths will be maximized and the lack of elite long speed won't be exposed. 

St-Juste being a press heavy man guy means he has a role on this D in some shape or form. If he has half a clue and doesn’t look out of place expect to see him on the field. If he’s not, we can logically surmise he’s struggling.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

Our DB coach Harris Chris Harris, one of the best in the league will coach him up and get the best out of him as well as the other draft choices we selected.  :)

On 5/4/2021 at 5:34 PM, RWJ said:

Joe Theismann admits he was a complete idiot in this regard.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, KDawg said:

St-Juste being a press heavy man guy means he has a role on this D in some shape or form. If he has half a clue and doesn’t look out of place expect to see him on the field. If he’s not, we can logically surmise he’s struggling.

I really wonder what this means for our secondary. I'm not the biggest supporters of Danny Johnson, Stroman and Moreau, but I have thought they had potential. Johnson didn't play last year on defense and we rarely used Moreau. Basically it seems like St-Juste is taking that Moreau spot on defense (maybe used more but he's a rookie so might be the same). Jackson takes over for Darby. We still have Fuller and Moreland. So are they in the same spots? Or is Moreland also going to see less time as St-Juste sees his playing time increase? 

Also what I like from this is that we have the option for more press man coverage instead of simply being a zone team which should free us up to blitz more and just depend on corners staying with their guys. It will be interesting to see the depth chart come training camp and week 1. 

8 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

I really wonder what this means for our secondary. I'm not the biggest supporters of Danny Johnson, Stroman and Moreau, but I have thought they had potential. Johnson didn't play last year on defense and we rarely used Moreau. Basically it seems like St-Juste is taking that Moreau spot on defense (maybe used more but he's a rookie so might be the same). Jackson takes over for Darby. We still have Fuller and Moreland. So are they in the same spots? Or is Moreland also going to see less time as St-Juste sees his playing time increase? 

Also what I like from this is that we have the option for more press man coverage instead of simply being a zone team which should free us up to blitz more and just depend on corners staying with their guys. It will be interesting to see the depth chart come training camp and week 1. 

I’m interested to see how the season plays out for Fuller and that 10mil per season contract he has. 

7 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

They want BSJ going against the big receivers. So that rules out slot, pretty much, and taking Moreland's position.
And I don't see him taking Fuller or Jackson's spot either, anytime soon.

So what I envision, in his firs year at least, is using him in Dime packages.

I think they take their time, easing him into the line-up. With Jackson, Moreland, and Fuller, at the top 3, it's not an urgent need. And it's going to take time to adjust to the pro level for BSJ, and also find out where he fits in the best.

If BSJ picks everything up quickly as a rookie, I could see Fuller moving back to Slot, and BSJ taking Fuller's place on the outside. And maybe Moreland as a Dime.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository
  • Like 3

Why are we always trying to replace guys lol. Kendall Fuller at $10 mil is a good deal now and in the future. He’s exactly the kind of player Ron wants. Guy can play outside, slot, and FS. He’s won a championship. And he’s performed at a high level, just not as consistently as we’d like. Guy hasn’t met a WR screen he can’t shut down.

We’re so quick to get rid of guys on our roster just to sign other FAs on the market, or overrate the talent we drafted. The grass isn’t always greener lol 

• Like 3