Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

20 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Rasheed Walker is a very high upside player. He is similar to Saahdiq Charles in that regard. Could tank, could pan out, could be a swing guy. He's a real wild card. But now is the time for that kind of thing. For guys who are super into value his Round 1 talent but UDFA consistency is a gamble worth trying.

Walker is also a local kid.  As a huge fan of Maryland who follows recruiting, I have been tracking Walker since he was a junior in HS.  Huge debate his senior in HS in who was the best Offensive Tackle prospect in the state of Maryland, him or Jaelyn Duncan.   Duncan decided not to enter the draft, but will be in the draft next year.    I actually think Duncan is the slightly better college player, but maybe has less upside.

Edited by philibusters
  • Like 1

Just now, Conn said:

I only really looked at Willis and Corral bc the Wentz trade came down the pipe not long after I started looking at guys. Is Howell’s upside really that high??  

For a 5th rounder? Yes.

Putting my Howell Support Label aside...

He has a good deep ball and has a really live NFL arm. Can run a little, will get scramble yards in the NFL for sure, but he isn't going to light the world on fire as a rusher. Emergency/a couple designed runs type of guy. His knock is pocket presence. Which he sometimes has great pocket presence and sometimes it's like his head left the game and his body is running on muscle memory. "Short" quarterback. 

Can be coached and develop as a starter in the NFL, in my opinion. So getting him in the fifth is high value. Especially considering his floor is good backup. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Forever A Redskin said:

Right now our holes are:

OL Depth

LB

Buffalo Nickel

I'm super stoked with our draft I just worry about the defense now. Maybe we have a trade done in principal. Payne for an LB. That would make me happy.

Payne will not be traded..If he were we would have absolutely no depth at Dt.

• Like 1

I think the need for Buffalo Nickel has been overstated, and was hyped up to make teams believe we were interested in Hamilton or a hybrid LB/S. It was essentially a made up position to allow us to play Collins away from the S role and still maximize our coverage abilities in the back end. 

A bigger need is obviously another ILB and perhaps another CB if St. Juste's concussion issues are really a thing.

Howell is a great pick for sure.

Our trade down from 120 is a slightly odd move though. We could have just taken Howell at 120, still great value, then sat with our 6/7/7 waiting on the board to unfold. We get the TE in the 5th, maybe that was the key. 

But..if we wanted Howell, quite the risk to move out of 120.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I think the need for Buffalo Nickel has been overstated, and was hyped up to make teams believe we were interested in Hamilton or a hybrid LB/S. It was essentially a made up position to allow us to play Collins away from the S role and still maximize our coverage abilities in the back end. 

A bigger need is obviously another ILB and perhaps another CB if St. Juste's concussion issues are really a thing.

We ran with a Buffalo nickel for over 70 percent of defensive snaps. Buffalo is not a made up position and we would be foolish to not address it. It's way more important than you're making it sound.

9 minutes ago, Conn said:

I only really looked at Willis and Corral bc the Wentz trade came down the pipe not long after I started looking at guys. Is Howell’s upside really that high??  

His upside is pretty good starter.  I liked Corral and Willis over him, but I could see Howell end up being a long term starter too.  I always viewed him as a bit of a poor man's Baker Mayfield, but he's clean cut and isn't going to cause the kind of organizational friction that Baker has.

My biggest complaint about him is I think he tends to see the field through a straw and really just has poor feel for pressure, and his placement isn't super sharp.  But none of the QBs other than Pickett had really good accuracy this year and I think Howell places the ball better than Corral does TBH.  Arm strength is good.  Athleticism is surprisingly functional.  Toughness is outstanding.  Got some off script creativity and playmaker in him.  Super experienced and probably would have rewritten the ACC record books if he'd gone back for his Senior season.  Deep ball is excellent and a noteworthy talent.  Personality seems like an ideal fit for Rivera, who likes homebody boy scouts like him. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Forever A Redskin said:

He's on my list too. Fan of his game.

I guess McCain can play more corner now that we have Percy at FS

Percy won't change McCain's role much, I'd be shocked if Percy plays 25% snaps or more at FS. They will ease him in, and his role in 22 will primarily be ST.  but I'm hoping he shows he can handle a more significant role in 23.

13 minutes ago, Forever A Redskin said:

He's on my list too. Fan of his game.

I guess McCain can play more corner now that we have Percy at FS

Today, I have spent some time on youtube looking at Ragin Cajun Football game highlights and I am I think Percy has a ways to go, to put it mildly.   Look at App State, Liberty and Marshall games. He is #9, but they also have a #9 on Offense.

:229:The Rook