Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

20 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

If his hands really are as small as rumored, I wouldn't draft him. But maybe someone ahead of us will, which could drive a better QB down a bit. Analysis seem to think Pickett is the best QB of the bunch, so maybe someone overlooks it (Looking at you Giants)

Giants are not going to go QB. 

Carolina and Denver are the only two teams I see who will go QB before us. Seattle if Russell doesn't stay. 

Edited by zskins

9 minutes ago, zskins said:

Giants are going to go QB. 

Carolina and Denver are the only two teams I see who will go QB before us. Seattle if Russell doesn't stay. 

Keep in mind with the draft sometimes it’s more prudent to look at where you are in the draft order and see how many spots are ahead of you rather than the teams… because teams can trade in and out.

So I see ten opportunities for QBs to go ahead of us. 3-4 with teams already there. 

12 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Screen Shot 2022-01-20 at 11.35.17 AM.png

When you know you can’t hold the ball in the center you back your hand up towards the smaller part of the ball (the back of it).

The NFL ball has a larger diameter that is most notable at the back of it, which means a less comfortable grip for a QB with smaller hands. 

The ball being held that far back also allows for more uncovered ball for defenders to swipe at and makes it easier for the ball to come out in contact as it’s not as easy to cradle it into your body. 

I will not condemn Pickett yet. I need to see the process play out. But the hand issue is… big.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Keep in mind with the draft sometimes it’s more prudent to look at where you are in the draft order and see how many spots are ahead of you rather than the teams… because teams can trade in and out.

So I see ten opportunities for QBs to go ahead of us. 3-4 with teams already there. 

Sorry meant to say Giants are not going to go QB from what I have read. 

Yes there are always opportunities for teams ahead of us. I could see Ron moving up and getting his guys as well. 

33 minutes ago, zskins said:

Sorry meant to say Giants are not going to go QB from what I have read. 

Yes there are always opportunities for teams ahead of us. I could see Ron moving up and getting his guys as well. 

I think at this point it's almost impossible to say with NYG since they've fired their GM and HC. Those two were the guys most likely to stick with Daniel Jones.

A new GM and HC may very well decide that they want to bring in "their" QB. That could mean via trade or draft. If someone like Wilson or Watson is available (if Watson's legal issues are resolved or close to it) then NYG would be in a prime position to make that deal since they have two top 10 picks this draft.

1 hour ago, zskins said:

Giants are one of the teams Wilson wanted to go to.  I don't think they draft someone but may make a play for him while Jones is part of the trade. Which could prevent both teams from drafting a QB.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mhd24 said:

Detroit is interesting.  Edge is a big need for them, but they have needs everywhere.  I like Swift, but he's been injury prone.  However, the Lions need playmakers ASAP.  Hock is pretty good, but he's going to be a FA soon.  WR is a big need for them as well.  Could see them being the floor for Jameson Williams as well.

As a huge Najee fan (as well as Etienne last year), how do you compare Walker to the 1st round RBs last year?

I think Etienne and Harris were better prospects.  They were freshman year studs whereas Walker kind of came out of nowhere this year.  I felt Etienne and Harris were solid top 20 picks whereas Walker is more of a fringe top 20 guy.  I think Etienne is faster than Walker and Harris is stronger, catches the ball better, and has a physical superiority that few backs possess.

But I also think that the two things where Walker really excels--vision and balance--are super translatable traits.  And I also think he's got better burst than Najee did.  He's like a better version of David Montgomery, and I really loved Montgomery.

The quality of this class starts dropping off kind of quick, especially at RB, so that makes the value of Walker a little better in the 20s.  But ultimately I think he gets picked at the beginning of the second.  I think you're right to compare him to the guys who are around the same age.  To me he's the cream of this skill player crop along with Drake London and Garrett Wilson.  That means, presumably there will be a point when they reach their mid 20s when those guys are your likely All Pros, along with the top skill players in the classes sandwhiching '22.  That's why I would try and get one of them along with a QB prospect.  So what I would do is either pick London or Wilson at 11 and then target Howell or a QB caller with the second rounder, willing to deal next year's second to get my guy.  Or I would pick Willis or Pickett at 11 and then trade back up into the late first for Wilson (hoping he runs a slow 40) or hope that Walker slides into range for me in the second.

If Wilson runs a fast 40 then I have to take him at 11 to get him.  But if he runs slow, then I think he'll be there in the 20s.  I'm hoping that the fast guys run fast this year to push Wilson down.  Olave, Dotson, and Williams can all easily run low 4.3s and hopefully Burks and London run low 4.4s.  And then I'm hoping Wilson runs a high 4.4 or 4.5.  If that's the case, then I could see him being like WR5 and within range of our second.  I think in terms of just sheer freakish talent, he's the WR1.  But I think there is a much better chance of him dropping than London and there is a scenario where we get the QB1 and WR1 with our first two picks with only having to trade either next year's second or third.  That's the dream scenario of the draft for me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OMacAttack said:

Giants are one of the teams Wilson wanted to go to.  I don't think they draft someone but may make a play for him while Jones is part of the trade. Which could prevent both teams from drafting a QB.

Giants new brass may decide to draft a qb. Jones is up on his option year and they may not be willing to pay it. Obviously I’m hoping they decide to keep Jones around but let’s face it, they are in rebuild mode and may decide to go w a new qb. 

12 minutes ago, skinsfan93 said:

Giants new brass may decide to draft a qb. Jones is up on his option year and they may not be willing to pay it. Obviously I’m hoping they decide to keep Jones around but let’s face it, they are in rebuild mode and may decide to go w a new qb. 

Yeah Wilson would be more of a "win now" move. Drafting a guy would be more of a rebuild thing. But if NYG wants Wilson and they're on his short list, they'll get him. Nobody will be able to compete with offering 2 top 10 picks in the same draft.

Edited by mistertim

3 hours ago, zskins said:

Detroit would be nuts to take Edge over the best QB available in the draft, especially with a late first rounder to use on another position.

And Atlanta could take one to sit behind Ryan. Ideal scenario without the need for a trade.

1 minute ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Detroit would be nuts to take Edge over the best QB available in the draft, especially with a late first rounder to use on another position.

And Atlanta could take one to sit behind Ryan. Ideal scenario without the need for a trade.

Could be Detroit punts on the season since they have Goff's monster contract and hopes next years QB class is better. I would love them to skip QB as it makes our options better, but we shall see.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I think Etienne and Harris were better prospects.  They were freshman year studs whereas Walker kind of came out of nowhere this year.  I felt Etienne and Harris were solid top 20 picks whereas Walker is more of a fringe top 20 guy.  I think Etienne is faster than Walker and Harris is stronger, catches the ball better, and has a physical superiority that few backs possess.

But I also think that the two things where Walker really excels--vision and balance--are super translatable traits.  And I also think he's got better burst than Najee did.  He's like a better version of David Montgomery, and I really loved Montgomery.

The quality of this class starts dropping off kind of quick, especially at RB, so that makes the value of Walker a little better in the 20s.  But ultimately I think he gets picked at the beginning of the second.  I think you're right to compare him to the guys who are around the same age.  To me he's the cream of this skill player crop along with Drake London and Garrett Wilson.  That means, presumably there will be a point when they reach their mid 20s when those guys are your likely All Pros, along with the top skill players in the classes sandwhiching '22.  That's why I would try and get one of them along with a QB prospect.  So what I would do is either pick London or Wilson at 11 and then target Howell or a QB caller with the second rounder, willing to deal next year's second to get my guy.  Or I would pick Willis or Pickett at 11 and then trade back up into the late first for Wilson (hoping he runs a slow 40) or hope that Walker slides into range for me in the second.

If Wilson runs a fast 40 then I have to take him at 11 to get him.  But if he runs slow, then I think he'll be there in the 20s.  I'm hoping that the fast guys run fast this year to push Wilson down.  Olave, Dotson, and Williams can all easily run low 4.3s and hopefully Burks and London run low 4.4s.  And then I'm hoping Wilson runs a high 4.4 or 4.5.  If that's the case, then I could see him being like WR5 and within range of our second.  I think in terms of just sheer freakish talent, he's the WR1.  But I think there is a much better chance of him dropping than London and there is a scenario where we get the QB1 and WR1 with our first two picks with only having to trade either next year's second or third.  That's the dream scenario of the draft for me.

I think Wilson is rated too highly to drop.  Whatever you think of Mckshay, he's got contacts in the league.  He has Wilson 10th overall as a prospect.  Kiper has him 15th.  I don't think Wilson slips to the 2nd.  This draft doesn't seem to have a ton of A+ talent.  Was listening to Lombardi (who also clearly has inside contacts) and he said as much.  

6 hours ago, Die Hard said:

What's Drake London's speed?

I watched a highlight reel of his.... he has a weird frame and movement pattern. He doesn't seem to have explosive speed.... as I didn't see many of his catches with much separation. He looks like he has incredible hand-eye..... good catch radius, he's incredible up in the air (and body adjustment) and wins contested catches. While not blazing fast.... he has great acceleration (stop-start)... looks like some YAC cards.

But for a guy who seems to be hyped as the best receiver in this draft..... he's missing some big plays. He doesn't look like a game-breaker..... but more like a very good #1.

Burks would be my #1 personally but I have seen a lot of people high on London. I don’t fully see it with him compared to the other top guys 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Our chosen QB in the 1st and Burks in the 2nd would be my dream. He falls on that freakish DK-AJB-Higgins spectrum of Alpha prospects that could somehow fall to the high 2nd round due to other guys being more polished.

Edited by ConnSKINS26

1 hour ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Burks would be my #1 personally but I have seen a lot of people high on London. I don’t fully see it with him compared to the other top guys 

NCAA college football and the draft prospects/evaluation is probably my weakest area of my football fandom. And I'm okay with it remaining so.

Who is Burks? Full name, school. I'd be happy to take a look at some highlight videos.

20 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

NCAA college football and the draft prospects/evaluation is probably my weakest area of my football fandom. And I'm okay with it remaining so.

Who is Burks? Full name, school. I'd be happy to take a look at some highlight videos.

Treylon Burks Arkansas WR 👍 

he’s damn good 

6 hours ago, zskins said:

While true. There are teams behind us that could move ahead of us for one. If we are truly in love with one of them go up and get him. It is time to take a first round QB. 

• Like 1

Keim's latest podcast.

A. He thinks they end up with their Qb before the draft.  Veteran is likely the top route.

B.  As far as the QBs in this draft, he suggested they've cut some of them already from their wish list

B.  If they swing and miss at a veteran, likely a veteran FA (Trubisky?) and they draft a QB.

C. If this miss on a veteran in a trade, it coud be a veteran and a 2nd/3rd round type of Qb.  Later in the podcast suggested in a vague way that they might be intrigued by Ridder and Strong if they are fishing for a QB post first round.  I couldn't tell if that's him guessing as for Ridder and Strong or something he heard. 

D.  He said aside from QB, don't sleep on MLB in this draft.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Keim's latest podcast.

A. He thinks they end up with their Qb before the draft.  Veteran is likely the top route.

B.  As far as the QBs in this draft, he suggested they've cut some of them already from their wish list

B.  If they swing and miss at a veteran, likely a veteran FA (Trubisky?) and they draft a QB.

C. If this miss on a veteran in a trade, it coud be a veteran and a 2nd/3rd round type of Qb.  Later in the podcast suggested in a vague way that they might be intrigued by Ridder and Strong if they are fishing for a QBpost first round

D.  He said aside from QB, don't sleep on MLB in this draft.

So essentially what most of us have been thinking for awhile. Though the idea of MLB in the first, even if we get a QB without using Our first… hurts my soul.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

C. If this miss on a veteran in a trade, it coud be a veteran and a 2nd/3rd round type of Qb.  Later in the podcast suggested in a vague way that they might be intrigued by Ridder and Strong if they are fishing for a QBpost first round

Yeah I heard this and he really seemed to do l dismiss Howell. The more I read about Howell, the less I like him. I'm for Corral or if we can't get him or don't want him, maybe a very like Jimmy G and a second or third on Riddick.