Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander
Message added by TK,

4 minutes ago, mistertim said:

My main issue with Ridder (and I think @Skinsinparadisehas noted this several times too) is inconsistency. His footwork is inconsistent, his decision making is inconsistent and his overall accuracy is inconsistent. He'll make a great read and drop an absolute dime one play and then sail a pass or make a complete head scratcher the next. 

That stuff can be improved and coached up obviously, but IMO that inconsistency moves him down the draft board because while you can get away with that stuff in college, in the NFL with much tighter windows it's just asking for trouble.

I think he's most likely a 2nd rounder at this point.

Ridder could be a real solid steal in the second/third despite his fairly poor accuracy. 

But a team drafting Ridder in the second/third is a team that is hedging the QB position. Not a team who NEEDS one.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, KDawg said:

I'm still curious what gives people (not here, necessarily, more like "Draftniks") pause on Howell to rate him the fourth best QB in this class.

He's still my 1.

And last year he would have been my 3. (Lawrence, Fields)

Fishing around the mock draft types, the main fans of Howell are two of the guys from PFF.   

5 minutes ago, GothSkinsFan said:

We can dangle Payne as part of a trade up, but it's way foo early to speculate since the senior bowl is weeks away.  That seems an important part of the QB eval process.

I'd be ok with dangling Payne, but I don't think he's worth more than a 2nd rounder at this point, so IMO it's unlikely that we'd be able to insert him into a deal in lieu of one of our 1st round picks (assuming we're going after one of the big prize trade QBs and not a Jimmy G or Matt Ryan.)

5 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Ridder could be a real solid steal in the second/third despite his fairly poor accuracy. 

But a team drafting Ridder in the second/third is a team that is hedging the QB position. Not a team who NEEDS one.

This is exactly it. A guy like Ridder who has accuracy issues in the 2nd or 3rd is a fine developmental bet for a team that can afford to be wrong. It’s a very low percentage swing at the position but one that can pay off if you have a guy you’re happy with aging in front of him. We aren’t a team that can afford to be wrong, and can’t afford to take a low percentage whiff at QB 

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I'd be ok with dangling Payne, but I don't think he's worth more than a 2nd rounder at this point, so IMO it's unlikely that we'd be able to insert him into a deal in lieu of one of our 1st round picks (assuming we're going after one of the big prize trade QBs and not a Jimmy G or Matt Ryan.)

Oh i agree with that.  Our 1st + Payne + a pick we can live with.  

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, KDawg said:

Lock is not a fringe starter. I prefer Heinicke over Lock. The only thing Lock does better than Heinicke is he has a better arm. 

For the record, I don't think it matters how any of what you said goes. At least one, if not more, QBs are going in the top 10. 

Don't forget that if Jones/Mayfield are traded or moved on from (Jones I can see, Mayfield I can't) then that creates a need for them as well. There are too many QB needy teams and not enough QBs. 

You may even add the Eagles to the list....Howie Roseman pulls the plug quickly when he's not convinced a certain guy is the answer. To your point about QB's going in the top 10 I believe you will see multiple top 10 drafting teams shopping their pick for a team to move up and grab a QB. If the NYJ, Lions, Jags and others aren't going QB then they may as well try and trade back to a QB needy team. The NYG can likely go all the way up to #1 as can the Eagles if they wanna trade two of their #1 picks they each have (Eagles have three). If one or two of these QB's coming out become combine stars you're gonna see a fight to move up and get em. Willis could be that guy. I'm with you in that at least one QB is taken before our pick at #11 based on the recent history of teams at the draft.

On 3/23/2021 at 5:42 PM, zskins said:

Let's start compiling for 2022. 😂 I normally start this after the draft....  But an ES member said we have to take a QB in 2021 as 2022 QB class was awful. So let's look ahead to the class of '22. Here is an early look at the possible top 15 QB prospects in the 2022 NFL Draft class:

1. Sam Howell, North Carolina
2020 stats (12 games): 237-of-348 (68.1 pct.), 3,586 yards, 30 touchdowns, 7 interceptions; 92 carries, 146 yards, 5 touchdowns

2. Kedon Slovis, USC
2020 stats (6 games): 177-of-264 (67.0 pct.), 1,921 yards, 17 touchdowns, 7 interceptions

3. Bo Nix, Auburn
Jordan Palmer: Auburn QB Bo Nix will be the No. 1 overall pick in the 2022 draft:

4. Spencer Rattler, Oklahoma
2020 stats (11 games): 214-of-317 (67.5 pct.), 3,031 yards, 28 touchdowns, 7 interceptions; 81 carries, 160 yards, 6 touchdowns

According to Pro Football Focus, Rattler finished with the highest grade among all Big 12 quarterbacks.

5. Tanner Morgan, Minnesota
As a junior, Morgan regressed, completing 106 of 183 passes (67.9%) for 1,374 yards and seven touchdowns to five interceptions in seven games.

6. Brock Purdy, Iowa State
The Iowa State star logged 2,750 yards, 19 touchdowns, and 9 interceptions in the 2020 season after a breakout 2019 season that saw Purdy log 3,982 yards, 27 touchdowns and 9 interceptions.

7. Emory Jones, Florida, Height: 6-2. Weight: 199
After appearing in 24 games over the course of three seasons, the redshirt junior took a back seat to Heisman Trophy finalist Kyle Trask.

8. Sean Clifford, Penn State, Height: 6-2. Weight: 216
Clifford and Penn State regressed in 2020, and on the season he logged a 60.6 completion percentage, 1,883 passing yards, 335 rushing yards, 19 total touchdowns, and nine interceptions.

9. Layne Hatcher, Arkansas State, Height: 6-0. Weight: 196
Hatcher went 116 of 194 passing for 2,058 yards and 19 touchdowns to two interceptions in 2020.

10. Desmond Ridder, Cincinnati
In three seasons, Ridder has 6,905 passing yards with 57 touchdowns and 20 interceptions.

11. Dustin Crum, Kent State
Crum led a Golden Flashes offense that averaged 606.5 yards per outing in 2020 and 49.8 points per game.

12. Jacob Zeno, Baylor
Zeno showed his ability to perform under pressure during a memorable performance in the conference championship game and a strong season could set him up for NFL success.

13. Spencer Sanders, Oklahoma State
Sanders put on a display of brilliance against Miami in the Cheez-It Bowl victory

14. Jayden Daniels, Arizona State
Daniels completed 58.3% of his passes last season, throwing five touchdown passes and having one pass intercepted.
The Sun Devils only played four games due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

15. JT Daniels, USC
Daniels logged a 67.2% completion rate, along with 1,231 yards, 12 touchdowns, and two interceptions.

Pretty nutty how this list changed

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 1

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I guess Lance Zierlein isn’t a Howell guy

I'm legitimately amazed at this... Quite frankly I'm curious if I watching the same games over the last 2-3 years as these people. I have to be missing something. 

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, Silvernon said:

I've just started to watch the QBs, but I think there are way more QBs that will go in the top 12 than the early mocks predict. Maybe 4. 

Kenny Pickett, Malik Willis, Matt Corral, Carson Strong, and Desmond Ritter. 

So many teams need a QB.

I agree, QBs are like gold, teams will fall in love and think it's worth the risk.  Especially bc they're all fairly even, teams can convince themselves this guy might be the #1 QB in the class, even if he is the 4th QB off the board.

Dual mocks from CBS, I've followed Trapasso on and off over the years, he's one of the guys in this.

I didn't watch the whole thing.  Trapasso had us taking Corral. Ryan Wilson had us taking Pickett.  Unless I missed one,I tried to skip through it all, the only other QB going in the first round was Ridder.  

35 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Kiper talking about his mock and running through the QBs.    Funny he still can't get over liking Daniel Jones.   Kiper and McShay hassle each other about Daniel jones every year on their podcast -- Kiper likes Jones, McShay does not. 

Yeah I remember some segment with him and a couple other people after Daniel Jones's 2019 season.

Of course Kiper was all aboard the "ZOMG DANNY DIMES!! ROFLCOPTER DANNY DIMES FOR TEH WIN!!" train and one of the other guys cautioned about getting overzealous by pointing out the huge number of turnover worthy plays he found Jones had after going through the film and how that would quite possibly catch up with him eventually.

Kiper was having none of it.  :ols:

13 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I think Pickett will be the best of the bunch.  Just my 2 cents. 

I've analyzed absolutely nothing but watched a few Pitt games this year and have a hunch you might be right.  I don't know if he's nfl ready enough to pick at 11, but if we don't do it there we likely have to trade up past Pittsburgh in the first to get him. I don't see them missing out on another hometown guy, especially with Haskins and Rudolph being their current options.

1 minute ago, CaptainChaos47 said:

I've analyzed absolutely nothing but watched a few Pitt games this year and have a hunch you might be right.  I don't know if he's nfl ready enough to pick at 11, but if we don't do it there we likely have to trade up past Pittsburgh in the first to get him. I don't see them missing out on another hometown guy, especially with Haskins and Rudolph being their current options.

Good point.

47 minutes ago, CaptainChaos47 said:

Agreed he wouldn't fall past Pittsburgh, I don't think they would trade up to get him though.

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Dual mocks from CBS, I've followed Trapasso on and off over the years, he's one of the guys in this.

I didn't watch the whole thing.  Trapasso had us taking Corral. Ryan Wilson had us taking Pickett.  Unless I missed one,I tried to skip through it all, the only other QB going in the first round was Ridder.  

They didn't have any other QB going after Pittsburg. They messed up the draft by putting Miami at #22 when Miami doesn't even have a 1st round pick as they gave that to Philly. 

2 hours ago, CaptainChaos47 said:

So we don't pick him at 11 but then trade up from round 2 to go to 1 again to get Pickett that doesn't make any sense to me. Pickett also has small hands. That's lot of capital to give up to back to round 1 again for Pickett. 

5 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Totally agree.

It just doesn't make any sense.

If Howell isn't your 1? Fine. 2? Okay. 3? Sure. 4? Eh... 

But not even listed on some of these lists? A third rounder? a FOURTH ROUNDER?

I don't know how you watch Howell, a guy who was a three year starter, threw over 1000 passes, has a career 4:1 TD:INT ratio, lost his top two backs and top two receivers and still managed a 24/9 season and 3000+ yards with an awful offensive line...

A guy with one of the best deep balls in the class and a mid level passing grade that hangs in there with the other top guys... and a guy who is elusive enough to run for almost 1000 yards as a QB? People can say, "he won't run for 1k in the NFL" and I agree. But you don't run for 1k as an unathletic doof. 

You can't tell me he's not, at minimum, a top 5 QB in this class and have me look at you without a confused look on my face. I think it's parrot syndrome. People not watching on their own and just repeating the non sense their fed. 

• Like 9