Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 ES GM's Mock Draft....

COWBOY-KILLA-

7 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

The point is none of it matters anyways since it doesn't carry over so what's the difference? I get the realism part of trading future picks but we don't need that element of realism for this to be realistic. If anything, the strategy is limiting your options to this year's picks makes the whole process more challenging. 

You haven’t read from the beginning.  I am basically for no trades of future picks and stated so.  But I do see the other side. 

I was just making it clear crazy trades will not happen.  

• Like 1

I doubt anyone participating in this thing doesn't understand the trade in question never happens and will never happen in real life drafts. I have faith the commissioner can discern between trades made in the spirit of realism and nonsense trades. 

Here is a question we have never addressed every time we have this future picks discussion - and believe me it comes up every year... lol 

It takes two to trade - why are people accepting future picks they can't use? I personally would never do it. I want the picks for this year. I guess a you can claim some bragging rights that you pulled in a nice haul. The last few years we have a few people do calculations on the draft that includes future picks so that's kind of interesting. 

Ultimately I came to the place that if someone wants to give up this years picks for next year that they can never cash, they I guess that's up to them. I still prefer we not have thme but I dont have to be involved. 

Here one fact that can help make both arguments!! lol There have only been 3 trades involving future picks between 5 teams. 

--> The no picks crowd can say - Look, it's so few trades, getting rid of them only impact a few teams. 

--> The yes picks people can say - Look, it's so few trades, it's not really changing much of anything.  

I do appreciate all the different takes - both for and against. Both sides make some very good points. 

What it cost me to trade up from 20 to 2 was hellacious. And it definitely figures into Morrisons draft evaluation. He just set the Jets up for 3 years plus with that haul. 

I guess the difference is some of us truly value being a GM type person. And some value drafting guys more. Neither one is better than the other. Just a difference of opinion. And thats what makes this so fun to me. 

Edited by clskinsfan
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

What it cost me to trade up from 20 to 2 was hellacious. And it definitely figures into Morrisons draft evaluation. He just set the Jets up for 3 years plus with that haul. 

I guess the difference is some of us truly value being a GM type person. And some value drafting guys more. Neither one is better than the other. Just a difference of opinion. And thats what makes this so fun to me. 

Now you're just being draftist.  😉

Next year, I think we should have a vote just prior to the start of the draft. The guys running this thing can also use that as a means of last minute confirmation of everyone's participation, too. Kill two birds...

Edited by duffy
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, duffy said:

I wonder if it'll be a dog or a cat?

Neither. It’ll be a Deacon because the Vikes are proud to select from Wake Forest, WR Sage Surratt.

dude isn’t fast or explosive but the team has enough of that with JJ and Thelien, but what he does offer is toughness and physicality. We could always use an upgrade in the red zone seeing as we alllll know how much Kurt excels inside the 20.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

dude isn’t fast or explosive but the team has enough of that

"You know what this team needs?!    A slow guy who takes a long time to get up to his embarrassingly slow top speed!"  🤣

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, duffy said:

"You know what this team needs?!    A slow guy who takes a long time to get up to his embarrassingly slow top speed!"  🤣

Kirk overthrows everyone anyways so what’s the point of speed? I need someone that can catch the balls that are actually close to him.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, goskins10 said:

Here is a question we have never addressed every time we have this future picks discussion - and believe me it comes up every year... lol 

It takes two to trade - why are people accepting future picks they can't use? I personally would never do it. I want the picks for this year. I guess a you can claim some bragging rights that you pulled in a nice haul. The last few years we have a few people do calculations on the draft that includes future picks so that's kind of interesting.

As someone who is against trading futures, but has in the past accepted a trade for future picks, my reasoning was that I didn't have anyone that slotted in to my pick spot, so accepting a trade that people would recognize as me winning by getting a future 1st or 2nd made my life simpler than doing a whole lot more scouting to find a good fit or wheeling and dealing to put myself into the right spot value-wise.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

As someone who is against trading futures, but has in the past accepted a trade for future picks, my reasoning was that I didn't have anyone that slotted in to my pick spot, so accepting a trade that people would recognize as me winning by getting a future 1st or 2nd made my life simpler than doing a whole lot more scouting to find a good fit or wheeling and dealing to put myself into the right spot value-wise.

Fair enough. And thanks for the response. As someone else said, some are some guys into making picks and seeing how they fare and some are more into the entire GM experience. And as they said, there is no right or wrong. I like the entire GM experience but love making pics and see how they do in the NFL (although me picking them seems to be the kiss of death, but that's a different story.)

Ultimately this is how we got to the current compromise of allowing 1 trade per team. If someone is willing to accept future picks they will never be able to use, as long as the trade itself is a reasonable fair trade, it does not do any harm. It's if there is a free for all of future pics being traded. 

Not addressed to you - just continuing the overall thought:

I like the idea of voting on it next year before e start. I had suggested we have everyone check in the day before the draft starts so we know everyone is still in, so I also like the idea of having the vote just before the draft during that check in. 

With that I suggest maybe we table this for now - yes I am mostly responsible for keeping it going so my apologies. 

We have a great draft going on right now with 31 awesome GMs doing one hell of a job. When we were at pick 104, I only had 14 players left in my top 100 and most of those were above 70. Some player theft is going on in this draft and it's been awesome! 

Part of the experience is seeing how you did years down the road. Acquiring future picks doesn’t showcase that because we don’t know who that pick materializes into.

I guess it doesn’t matter because I will be a back to back champ regardless.

• Haha 1