Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 ES GM's Mock Draft....

COWBOY-KILLA-

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

The future draft pick trading is something we should re visit next year. Trading a first next year gives no ramifications. 

That's a very good valid point.  My trade can be backed out to keep things even if we so desire.  I agree KDawg.  I just did it to have some fun, but indeed it does not affect next year so not really fair, per se. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

The future draft pick trading is something we should re visit next year. Trading a first next year gives no ramifications. 

Are you for no future trades or unlimited future trades?

Before you answer, I can tell you why we have it the way it is. A few years ago someone traded something like 2.5 years of draft picks to get 2 guys in the top 10 and another 1st rd pick. May not have been that exactly but it was close. 

Some of us said no future trades at all since there is no way to capitalize on them. Others said making it no future picks is unrealistic for the overall draft. So we compromised to only one trade of future draft picks.

Hopefully that explains how we got here. All is always open to discussion though. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, gooseneck said:

so i guess trade cancelled with KC.  2 cb's could be gone from new england after  2021 so with their free agents filling needs was looking for the first next year to cover 1 cb.  I have to head out for a 300 mile trip, but my picks are ready to go.  See what happens when I am back

You can send a short list to either @goskins10 or @COWBOY-KILLA- That would be a big help and keep things moving but whatever you're comfortable with no worries.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Riggo'sRangers said:

That's a very good valid point.  My trade can be backed out to keep things even if we so desire.  I agree KDawg.  I just did it to have some fun, but indeed it does not affect next year so not really fair, per se. 

Nothing to feel guilty about. The rules are in brother. And they are the way they have been for a reason. Zero reason to rescind the trade but we need to look at it for next year.

26 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Are you for no future trades or unlimited future trades?

Before you answer, I can tell you why we have it the way it is. A few years ago someone traded something like 2.5 years of draft picks to get 2 guys in the top 10 and another 1st rd pick. May not have been that exactly but it was close. 

Some of us said no future trades at all since there is no way to capitalize on them. Others said making it no future picks is unrealistic for the overall draft. So we compromised to only one trade of future draft picks.

Hopefully that explains how we got here. All is always open to discussion though. 

I’d say none. Or... they count for OUR draft next year. So if you trade a first next year we track that and reflect it for both teams draft choices for next season. Not user, team.

I know that would make it not match the real life draft order but it’s the only viable option if we allow trades moving forward imo.

The move is probably only trading picks in the active year.

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Nothing to feel guilty about. The rules are in brother. And they are the way they have been for a reason. Zero reason to rescind the trade but we need to look at it for next year.

I’d say none. Or... they count for OUR draft next year. So if you trade a first next year we track that and reflect it for both teams draft choices for next season. Not user, team.

I know that would make it not match the real life draft order but it’s the only viable option if we allow trades moving forward imo.

Carry over is just not feasible as over time we will lose all continuity with the real draft. The whole goal is to see how you fare against the actual draft. Also - and honestly more important - that becomes a logistical nightmare for the commissioner. That job is already tough enough. 

So for me the only realistic options are leave it as is or eliminate trading future picks altogether. Full disclosure I was in favor of eliminating them altogether when we made the call to allow 1 per team. But we had a few people who felt really strongly - including the person being Commissioner that year - that wanted to keep them. Hence the compromise. 

So I would be fine eliminating them altogether but would go with the groups decision with the exception of having them count next year. I would not want to participate if that is the decision. That's not a problem, life will go on if I am not in this. But that is how strongly I feel not having them carry over. 

5 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Carry over is just not feasible as over time we will lose all continuity with the real draft. The whole goal is to see how you fare against the actual draft. Also - and honestly more important - that becomes a logistical nightmare for the commissioner. That job is already tough enough. 

So for me the only realistic options are leave it as is or eliminate trading future picks altogether. Full disclosure I was in favor of eliminating them altogether when we made the call to allow 1 per team. But we had a few people who felt really strongly - including the person being Commissioner that year - that wanted to keep them. Hence the compromise. 

So I would be fine eliminating them altogether but would go with the groups decision with the exception of having them count next year. I would not want to participate if that is the decision. That's not a problem, life will go on if I am not in this. But that is how strongly I feel not having them carry over. 

I’m with you. I just think not allowing future picks to be traded is a good idea. What’s to stop me from trading my first next year for a 5 and 6 this year?

People could say “the commish” but that’s a ****ty thing to put on a person :ols:

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 2

We’ve hit a wall.

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

The move is probably only trading picks in the active year.

That’s not fair to the commissioner who’s gotta keep track. 

• Like 2

I think the way we have it this year is the best compromise tbh. Taking away future picks altogether makes it too unrealistic.

I think maybe an option going forward would be to give teams unlimited ability to trade future picks but if say over 3 GM's deem a particular trade unrealistic there is an option to veto the trade. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Morrison J said:

I think the way we have it this year is the best compromise tbh. Taking away future picks altogether makes it too unrealistic.

I think maybe an option going forward would be to give teams unlimited ability to trade future picks but if say over 3 GM's deem a particular trade unrealistic there is an option to veto the trade. 

Waiting for people to veto will slow things down even more. Just no future picks. It's a fun mock draft, why complicate it?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Waiting for people to veto will slow things down even more. Just no future picks. It's a fun mock draft, why complicate it?

Yeah true it could make things messy but the really big ones generally only happen within the first 10 picks anyway. It's generally plain sailing after that so I don't think it'd really delay much at all. 

No future picks just takes away from the process completely for me tbh. The more realistic we keep things the better. 

3 minutes ago, Morrison J said:

Yeah true it could make things messy but the really big ones generally only happen within the first 10 picks anyway. It's generally plain sailing after that so I don't think it'd really delay much at all. 

No future picks just takes away from the process completely for me tbh. The more realistic we keep things the better. 

Having no consequence to trading a first for, say, three 4ths isn’t exactly realistic. :ols:

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Having no consequence to trading a first for, say, three 4ths isn’t exactly realistic. :ols:

Well in that situation the trade would be veto'd though that's the point. 

There is consequences for each future pick traded too as long as when those who have given up picks state that at the end of the draft beside their list of drafted players. 

I just think 99% of trades done here are fair and realistic ones. We're basically scrapping trades because of one bad one a few years ago. Seems a bit OTT to me. 

Edited by Morrison J

18 minutes ago, Morrison J said:

Nobody is trading a future first for 3 4th rounders so realism doesn't really exist.

• Like 1

If it were up to me, there'd be no trading of future picks.

I get that NFL teams often use this strategy. But as some have stated, there are literally no repercussions come the next ES Mock Draft. 

It's unreasonable to suggest we "keep track" of the future moves. Come the following year, you're no longer doing a mock draft based on that year's given draft order. Instead, you've basically just created an alternate universe and are doing a mock draft using a different draft order. 

I don't think we lose much in "fun value" by eliminating future draft pick trades. It's the same thing with trading players.

But I do think we sacrifice more value and realism by allowing them. 

• Like 5

56 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I think that is a great ****ing trade as an active GM.  Just sayin'.  🤣  (Not sure in who's favor, can't blame a guy for trying...but anyway...)

Edited by Riggo'sRangers

34 minutes ago, duffy said:

If it were up to me, there'd be no trading of future picks.

I get that NFL teams often use this strategy. But as some have stated, there are literally no repercussions come the next ES Mock Draft. 

It's unreasonable to suggest we "keep track" of the future moves. Come the following year, you're no longer doing a mock draft based on that year's given draft order. Instead, you've basically just created an alternate universe and are doing a mock draft using a different draft order. 

I don't think we lose much in "fun value" by eliminating future draft pick trades. It's the same thing with trading players.

But I do think we sacrifice more value and realism by allowing them. 

Then i'll trade every pick from 2022,23,24 and 25 for your next pick. What the hell, there are no repercussions, right?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Then i'll trade every pick from 2022,23,24 and 25 for your next pick. What the hell, there are no repercussions, right?

Incorrect.  That trade would be vetoed by the commissioner.  It does not happen often but an unfair trade like that would be vetoed.  

Edited by goskins10

4 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Incorrect.  That trade would be vetoed by the commissioner.  It does not happen often but an unfair trade like that would be vetoed.  

The point is none of it matters anyways since it doesn't carry over so what's the difference? I get the realism part of trading future picks but we don't need that element of realism for this to be realistic. If anything, the strategy is limiting your options to this year's picks makes the whole process more challenging. 

• Thanks 1