Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 ES GM's Mock Draft....

COWBOY-KILLA-

With the 82nd pick in the 2021 Mock Draft the Washington Football Teams Select:
 Hunter Long TE Boston College 6'5 255lbs 

Dude can run and can catch.  We have our number 2 TE, and he's a weapon.

We cannot leave this draft without a number 2 TE. Mission Accomplished, barely.

Overview
Pass-catching tight end with decent speed and plus ball skills but a concerning lack of consistent aggression in his play. Long is much too passive and unskilled as a run blocker at this point of his development to consistently help against NFL competition. He also needs to get better at controlling his catch space with body control and physicality. However, when the ball is in the air, he plays with a plus level of tracking and focus to make tougher catches look easy, including throws that are down near his feet. He doesn't look like a burner, but he does have success running the seam and working over routes, so play speed should not be an issue. He's unlikely to ever be much of a blocker, so he must learn to become more competitive and feisty in fighting for his space and the football.
Strengths
  • Picks up his play speed as route progresses.
  • Able to attack the seam and potentially all three levels.
  • Uses hand fighting to clear handsy coverage at top of the route.
  • Made first downs on 60 percent of his catches in 2020.
  • Gains some separation out of his turns.
  • Scrambles open for his quarterback.
  • Hands are soft and natural for the routine catch.
  • Hyper-focuses when the ball is headed his way.
  • Able to bring in throws well outside his frame with sticky hands.
  • Could be an issue to cover for some linebackers.
Weaknesses
  • Play strength and aggressiveness end up in minus column.
  • Allows press to beat and ride him early on.
  • Will race through routes rather than selling his breaks at times.
  • Needs to be more competitive in claiming his catch space.
  • Inconsistent finishing contested catches.
  • Not tough enough to handle heavy lifting as blocker.
  • Blocks with folded arms like a player from the old electric football game.
  • Let the running game down in matchup against Clemson.

@Davistron20 on the clock

@skinfan57 on deck

@Chump Bailey in the wings

@Morrison J coming soon

@Chump Bailey coming soon

@tibbidoe coming soon

@drowland coming soon

Edited by COWBOY-KILLA-
  • Like 4

After major war room disagreements, the Eagles use pick # 84, on Jaylen Twyman, DL out of Pitt. 

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/jaylen-twyman-nfl-draft-player-profile-pittsburgh-defensive-tackle/

Although he isn’t the tallest or longest prospect in the class, his explosion allows him to win at the line of scrimmage. In addition to this, he flashes impressive hand placement, speed, and strength. With these attributes combined, he has proven a substantial headache for offensive linemen and quarterbacks.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Davistron20 said:

After having their last top 5 prospects picked off right in front of their eyes, Cowboys select the player with the most interesting name who also happens to fill a big positional need:

Hamsah Nasirildeen, S, Florida State

I'm pretty sure Amon-Ra had the most interesting name.

• Like 1

With the 89th pick the Cleveland Browns select Jay Tufele, DL - USC.

Another 2020 opt out that has big upside as an interior pass rusher.  Kinda has same athletic agilitly as Nixon for a big man.  Malik Jackson and Shelton Richardson will likely be gone after 2021 so Tufele has time to get the rust off and work on his craft as he needs to be more consistent and get stronger but the talent is there.

Fight On Usc Football GIF by USC Trojans

Edited by drowland
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Really like Washingtons draft so far. If it fell that way we all should be really happy. 

I agree, except I'm not a fan of Hunter Long.  I felt he played very soft for his size, lacks aggression.  His explosion at the beginning of a route was underwhelming to me as well.  IMHO he wont survive in the NFL if he doesn't fix at least one of those two things.  If you can break quickly, cool you can create seperation...if you can box out and play aggressively you can over work the person in front of you.  If you have neither of those traits, you're destined to ride pine or be out of the league.

I also didn't cover how much it pained me to watch him as a blocker.

I was glad to see the write up hit on all 3 of those points about him though.  He has potential, it's up to him if he fixes his game for the next level.

1 minute ago, thelongestbreath said:

I agree, except I'm not a fan of Hunter Long.  I felt he played very soft for his size, lacks aggression.  His explosion at the beginning of a route was underwhelming to me as well.  IMHO he wont survive in the NFL if he doesn't fix at least one of those two things.  If you can break quickly, cool you can create seperation...if you can box out and play aggressively you can over work the person in front of you.  If you have neither of those traits, you're destined to ride pine or be out of the league.

I also didn't cover how much it pained me to watch him as a blocker.

I was glad to see the write up hit on all 3 of those points about him though.  He has potential, it's up to him if he fixes his game for the next level.

At least long has a huge frame for your weight coaches to work with. He posted similar or better pro day numbers to the rest of the class. He did not bench. Which leads me to believe he lacks physical strength. That could be a double edged sword though. If he is willing to work ijn the weight room you could create a monster. Or it is also possible that he is not willing to put in the work in the weight room which is another problem altogether. Either way I would be fine with him in the third round. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, clskinsfan said:

At least long has a huge frame for your weight coaches to work with. He posted similar or better pro day numbers to the rest of the class. He did not bench. Which leads me to believe he lacks physical strength. That could be a double edged sword though. If he is willing to work ijn the weight room you could create a monster. Or it is also possible that he is not willing to put in the work in the weight room which is another problem altogether. Either way I would be fine with him in the third round. 

Completely agree.  It's why I finished with he has potential, it's up to him to maximize his talent.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, thelongestbreath said:

Completely agree.  It's why I finished with he has potential, it's up to him to maximize his talent.

Yeah I was really kind of forced into the pick, out of necessity. I had several guys higher, but I felt we just could not leave this draft without a solid number 2 TE. The guy does not block well, but he’s a plus athlete and can catch the damn ball.  May be the best #2 TE pass catching threat we’ve had in idk how long.  I think he will surprise us, how much we enjoy his game. Tremble was gonna be the guy but stuff happens. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

Yeah I was really kind of forced into the pick, out of necessity. I had several guys higher, but I felt we just could not leave this draft without a solid number 2 TE. The guy does not block well, but he’s a plus athlete and can catch the damn ball.  May be the best #2 TE pass catching threat we’ve had in idk how long.  I think he will surprise us, how much we enjoy his game. Tremble was gonna be the guy but stuff happens. 

My biggest concern is he feasted on weaker defenses.  He disappeared in games such as Clemson(where his inability to block stood out).  This late in the 3rd it's a good risk, because he does have potential to become a game changer...I just don't know if he'll put the work in to do it.

• Like 1