Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Election 2022 (Dems in charge of Senate. Reps take the House. Herschel Walker headed back home to ignore his children )

Cooked Crack

Have you voted yet?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Have you voted yet?

• By mail
    • Early voting
    • Not yet
    • can't vote/not voting

On 11/15/2022 at 8:31 PM, 86 Snyder said:

I kind of wish I had it this bad.  Don’t have the full on, bat**** crazy.  Mine are the ones that hide the fact they will vote for literally any R that goes up there (yes, even Herschel if they were in the right state) because of latent stupidity that can never be cured.  

Those are the worst ones if you ask me.  Give me the crazies, at least I won’t feel bad about it.  I’ll just cut them off.  But noooooo, I have to pretend they’re still sane and be forced to walk a line of civility that makes ME feel like a prick.

They’re juuuust smart enough to shut up about it.    And juuuust dumb enough to not see how ****ed up the GOP is.  And *truly* well intentioned about it all.  Drives me bonkers.

Yeah, I've got family in central PA that I used to see about once every year but haven't in years, and I don't plan on that changing.  Thing is, none of them (based on my observation) are angry, screw the liberal types, at least not obviously.  They're more unaware of how ignorant (and stupid) they are.  As an example, we were at a family reunion and one of my uncles was showing some candy, I think chocolate covered almonds or something like that, and he tells one of my cousins (who was maybe 10 at the time) "You know what we called these as kids?  We called them n***** - toes."  And it wasn't said with any malice, it was like this was perfectly normal to him, like he's never left the 1950's when it was perfectly acceptable to say things like this.

Anyway, Uncle #2 hears and says "You can't say that!" which sounds great, except Uncle #2 is the one who cut his son out of his life completely when he found out he was gay.  So that's where he drew the line.

It was after this that my wife said she and the kids were never going to another family reunion, and I didn't need anymore convincing.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Forehead said:

t was after this that my wife said she and the kids were never going to another family reunion, and I didn't need anymore convincing.

The funny thing is, I’m my experience, the people you describe would have this “family is the most important thing” etc opinion on it

but the reality is - it really isn’t. I mean your immediate family - wife and kids- sure. But extended family?  No that’s a two way street and if what’s coming down your side is teaching abhorrent racism to your 10 year old nieces and nephews then you have no place in my family (that matters) life. 

I recall one family member making a joke about hanging a confederate flag in the living room - this was during the whole statue/flag stuff a few years back - and I looked at him and said just matter of fact like, in front of everyone, then this is the last time your grandchildren will come to your house. 

people act shocked when a family member draws a line. I always find it baffling why some people think that just because there’s some shared DNA you can act like an asshole and everyone is forced to accept it. 

i can generally let things be - living caring deeply what others thing about everything is a losing game. But once it starts involving the children I put my foot down. 

• Thanks 3
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

If they had just turned out a little bit they’d have 1-2 more senate seats and the house 

Exit polling is all of the place this year. You can find (reasonable) people saying different things. 

what’s also annoying - and is typical for elections - is people make sweeping arguments based on national numbers while others are looking at specific races. 

for example - Dem turnout in CA probably not a big deal that changes anything, but dem turnout in AZ and GA (just for example) is make/break for the senate and significantly contributed to the house. 

Voter turnout for different demos nationally just isn’t where the meaningful analysis/discussion is. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, tshile said:

The funny thing is, I’m my experience, the people you describe would have this “family is the most important thing” etc opinion on it. 

Oh yeah.  Same family (this side is extensive) you have an aunt and a niece who had some sort of grand plan that only morons think will work, but it involved signing a different niece's name to some bank paperwork.  Second niece blew up when she found out, got the bank employee who approved everything fired, contacted the police, etc.

The aunt had the nerve to get huffy because these things need to be "settled within the family."

So yeah, that quoted statement....this side of the family to a T.  I'm glad we live a few states away.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Llevron said:

What are they going to do when they prove the Hunter Biden laptop story is bull**** and he’s just a highly paid drug addict like the rest of their children? 

These people do not think ahead at all. 

The same thing they did when everything else fell apart (Durham probe, Cyber Ninjas, etc)...just pretend it didn't happen and move on to the next right wing nutjob conspiracy theory.

• Like 3

To start with, what makes you think they're burdened by consistency. 

The Russia investigation was a hoax. The fact that the FBI investigated it, is proof that the FBI was abusing their authority for political gain. 

In fact, investigating the Party of "but her emails" is proof of political abuse. 

In fact, there is no irony at all in the party which unanimously voted that Trump asking a foreign government to investigate Hunter Biden, was "not impeachable", deciding that their highest legislative priority is .... investigating Hunter Biden. 

4 minutes ago, mistertim said:

The same thing they did when everything else fell apart (Durham probe, Cyber Ninjas, etc)...just pretend it didn't happen and move on to the next right wing nutjob conspiracy theory.

Read a post saying that when you enter Conspiracy Theory Land, you go from a place where lack of evidence shows the theory is wrong, to a place where lack of evidence proves how powerful the conspiracy is. 

"It's like saying that you never see elephants hiding in the tops of trees because they're very good at it."

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, Larry said:

Read a post saying that when you enter Conspiracy Theory Land, you go from a place where lack of evidence shows the theory is wrong, to a place where lack of evidence proves how powerful the conspiracy is. 

"It's like saying that you never see elephants hiding in the tops of trees because they're very good at it."

Yeah, that's definitely part for the course with conspiracy theorists. Lack of evidence = irrefutable evidence.

It's the same with people. If someone with expert knowledge in a certain arena debunks some conspiracy theory in said arena, to the conspiracy theorists that's further proof that the conspiracy is real and even more powerful than they thought, because only a super powerful group of people could "get to" someone like that expert.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Llevron said:

What are they going to do when they prove the Hunter Biden laptop story is bull**** and he’s just a highly paid drug addict like the rest of their children? 

These people do not think ahead at all. 

What'll be interesting is if they're dumb enough to impeach Biden over this.  The Senate majority sets the rules in an impeachment hearing and they could make it an all-out circus to tear apart how stupid the entire thing is.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

The GOP getting one hand on the wheel of governance and using it to hold show trials for Hunter Biden, rather than trying to solve literally any problem, ahead of the 2024 election is going to be one of the greatest political blunders in memory. 

"This time, it's going to cost them."

• Haha 3