Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Election 2022 (Dems in charge of Senate. Reps take the House. Herschel Walker headed back home to ignore his children )

Cooked Crack

Have you voted yet?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Have you voted yet?

• By mail
    • Early voting
    • Not yet
    • can't vote/not voting

4 minutes ago, tshile said:

This is just oh so wrong compared to what I’m hearing/seeing 

but at some point we just have to accept we are in disagreement 🤷‍♂️ 

It's all fun and games until folks really start to dig in to how much Trump is holding them back right now in a lot of elections, the rumblings have already started.

6 minutes ago, tshile said:

the kicker is that even if trump loses to DeSantis in a primary - he’s absolutely the type to run as an independent just to say **** you to DeSantis and the big Republican money people. 

And to keep fundraising, and getting attention. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Renegade7 said:

It's all fun and games until folks really start to dig in to how much Trump is holding them back right now in a lot of elections, the rumblings have already started.

It’s been going on since 2020. Many republicans believe Biden would have lost to anyone other than trump. 

Many republicans believe squandered a lot of admin by being a one man circus every single day. (Minus judges - he did well on judges - and he personally was just signing off on gop strategy, he had no idea who he was putting where…)

there’s a difference between what Republican media outlets are doing, what Republican politicians say publicly, and what strategists are saying/doing behind closed doors. 

• Thumb up 2

12 minutes ago, tshile said:

This is just oh so wrong compared to what I’m hearing/seeing 

but at some point we just have to accept we are in disagreement 🤷‍♂️ 

I mean, I'm quite happy to put my *list of GOP candidates nationwide* and my *what actually happened this cycle* against what your buddies are saying and "reasonable to suggest" counterfactuals. 

Edited by PleaseBlitz

8 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Apparently Mitch was saying this behind the scene about Trump after the 2020 election…

20 minutes ago, tshile said:

I’ve been saying last night this is the mood within the party. 

Desantis 20 point win means a lot internally. 

The fractures are real and I think internally they see money and backing going to DeSantis, and they see DeSantis playing well with trump supporters, and they see now as DeSantis’ moment. 

question is whether he seizes it or backs down from trump. 

But keep telling me I have no idea what I’m talking about :rolleyes:

that’s not the takeaway here…

the takeaway is that FOX is saying this on Truth Social.

Edited by Califan007 The Constipated

19 minutes ago, tshile said:

I think this is false

ebery trump person I know loves DeSantis and has been raving about since trump lost 2020. 

it will be an issue. But not nearly as big of an issue as you’re suggesting. 

and I’m skeptical trump is going to have the money needed. He’s being chided internally for not helping more with the money he has.  Combined with his candidates losing - it’s not a good time for him internally. 

the kicker is that even if trump loses to DeSantis in a primary - he’s absolutely the type to run as an independent just to say **** you to DeSantis and the big Republican money people. 

and I can’t imagine that DeSantis can win a general where trump is an independent. Almost every vote trump would earn would be a vote that would otherwise go to DeSantis. 

Yeah I should have been more clear about what I feel like that percentage of the GOP is that are Trump diehards. There’s a ton ready to jump over to Desantis but probably.. 10-15% of the GOP maybe, the real nutballs, that would be turned off by the kind of primary Desantis would need to run to win. It would be enough to have some impact in the general election, where a percentage point or two can and do swing elections. 

Edited by TheGoodBits
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Finally, the last time we saw a supposed GOP "alpha dog" try to take on Trump in a primary, we saw him humiliated and he hasn't been in politics since. (Chris Christie).    I think if Trump decides not to run, the nominee is served up for DeSantis, but if I am the GOP leadership, and Trump does decide to run, I am recommending to DeSantis he wait it out for another 4 years.

I don't remember any confrontations between Trump and Christie in 2016. Christie famously destroyed Rubio in a debate, and I think he might enter the race just so he can do the same to Trump this time.

Can Trump and DeSantis even be running mates if both list Florida as their home states? If Trump runs and gets the nomination, somebody will accept the VP nod, but that person will really be setting themselves up for failure in 2028. A second Trump presidency likely would be a huge drag on the party.

2 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I think Trump winning the GOP nomination in 2024 is the only chance Biden wins (and I assume that Biden will be the Dem nominee as the sitting POTUS). 

Agreed.  And whether in 2024 or later and whether DeSantis or someone else, there will be that candidate who is very similar to Trump substantively but a little more polished, little less abrasive, and a little more palatable to voters who are not plugged in.  That's what I fear for in the long term direction of the country.  

The GOP would be best served to cut ties with Trump ASAP.  They are going to be in charge of the house, and still can realistic take the Senate by a seat, their priority should immediately be to go back to being a serious political party and don't cater to the Trump acolytes remaining in the party.   Trumpism will lose steam once the base realizes Trump is done, but done for real.  Right now the guy is just lingering in the shadows at all times and you can 100% see that it has an effect on how GOP members talk and act, you can see it behind their eyes.   I am not even a fan of the majority of "serious GOP" but there is a higher chance that they can be negotiated with than the MAGA loons who are mostly unserious in the first place.  They have had multiple chances in the last two years to put the final nail in his coffin, and maybe with DeSantis cruising to re-election in Florida they see their new knight in shining armor to take the mantle. 

6 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I mean, I'm quite happy to put my *list of GOP candidates nationwide* and my *what actually happened this cycle* against what your buddies are saying and "reasonable to suggest" counterfactuals. 

I mean, I don’t really expect any different from you or some others. 

we don’t even know who will control the senate yet and some people are running around throwing a victory party. 

the dem agenda is dead for 2 years. And the only thing I think is certain about last night is trump lost political capital and DeSantis gained a lot of political capital. 

as I head someone say on one of the shows this morning - if trump was capable of any introspection last night would have convinced him he’s got no chance in 2024, and that if he was actually a Republican that cared about the party he would throw his support behind DeSantis 

but instead he’s likely to run, and if he loses the primary run as an independent because it’s a petulant child that doesn’t give a **** about anyone but himself, much less the party 

(and being a candidate causes problems for people investigating him - even if those problems are temporary or minor. He doesn’t have the law of facts on his side, making it harder to investigate and charge him is his only move left…)

(it’s be great if garland would announced charges before trump announces his candidacy….)

Just now, bearrock said:

Agreed.  And whether in 2024 or later and whether DeSantis or someone else, there will be that candidate who is very similar to Trump substantively but a little more polished, little less abrasive, and a little more palatable to voters who are not plugged in.  That's what I fear for in the long term direction of the country.  

Yep.  The fear going back to, I guess 2016 on, was that Trump was ****ty and incompetent, but what would be really bad was someone ****ty and competent.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I think Trump winning the GOP nomination in 2024 is the only chance Biden wins (and I assume that Biden will be the Dem nominee as the sitting POTUS). 

There’s a lot of republicans that feel the same way. 

I don’t know, personally.  Think people who voted for Biden are mostly in line with thinking he’s done quite a bit given the circumstances and that what’s needed is more dems in the senate/house. 

of course it’s 2 years out so who the hell knows 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

8 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

If Trump doesn't win that primary tho his ego and pettiness will force him to run as a third party / independent candidate. Looks good for Biden either way imo.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tshile said:

I mean, I don’t really expect any different from you or some others. 

we don’t even know who will control the senate yet and some people are running around throwing a victory party. 

the dem agenda is dead for 2 years. And the only thing I think is certain about last night is trump lost political capital and DeSantis gained a lot of political capital. 

as I head someone say on one of the shows this morning - if trump was capable of any introspection last night would have convinced him he’s got no chance in 2024, and that if he was actually a Republican that cared about the party he would throw his support behind DeSantis 

but instead he’s likely to run, and if he loses the primary run as an independent because it’s a petulant child that doesn’t give a **** about anyone but himself, much less the party 

(and being a candidate causes problems for people investigating him - even if those problems are temporary or minor. He doesn’t have the law of facts on his side, making it harder to investigate and charge him is his only move left…)

(it’s be great if garland would announced charges before trump announces his candidacy….)

Agreed, I would not expect, if I were you, for me an others to not call out your nonsense. :)

This post is completely different (and, I think, just an attempt to change the subject) from what I took issue with, which was your statement, "had crazies not won primaries these outcomes are very much up for being different" and "it’s also reasonable to suggest that some of these outcomes are not repudiations of Republican policy. They’re repudiations of Trump-backed crazies."  None of this address that. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumb up 1

23 minutes ago, @DCGoldPants said:

So, with a very small majority in the House. Is McCarthy really going to win speaker? Someone is going to challenge him. Also, are the MTG types who are around a little weaker since the biggest losses were from their ranks? If they want to be done with Cheeto Jesus for '24, you don't put his surrogates in any positions of authority or to speak on behalf of your party. 

McCarthy will be challenged. Maga isn't weaker. If McCarthy wants their votes, he will have to concede to giving them what they want. There's still enough Magas to block anything McCarthy wants; sort like how Machin/Sinema controls the Dems agenda.