Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Election 2022 (Dems in charge of Senate. Reps take the House. Herschel Walker headed back home to ignore his children )

Cooked Crack

Have you voted yet?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Have you voted yet?

• By mail
    • Early voting
    • Not yet
    • can't vote/not voting

Eh.  Seems they'll get the House.  

Get ready for the Nunes "investigation show".  

I saw Fox a few days ago, getting their audience fired up for "No Covid Amnesty".  Demanding that the GOP not let people like the CDC off the hook for the way they outrageously abused their offices, to try to harm the country during Covid.  They're already selling torches and pitchforks with Fauci's name on them.  

And they're going to "investigate" how the DOJ could investigate Jan 6 insurrectionists, and Republican politicians.  To show how outraged the GOP is that the Democrats are "politicizing our justice system".  

Hunter Biden, of course.  Because the GOP simply cannot stand nepotism.  Clearly an impeachable offense, in fact.  

And we all know that there's going to be at least one government shutdown.  (And subsequent attempt to tell real loudly that it's the Democrat's fault.)  

We might not see an actual vote on a nationwide abortion ban.  I'm pretty sure most of the R's realize that's a vote that would cost them, politically.  They'd really prefer for abortion be banned without any of them having to actually explicitly vote to do it.  

41 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

Jus checked Nevada. Looks bad for Dems. Anyway there’s a ton of big city votes left to help out? 

ralston just said all 3 house seats look like they will be Dem. 

he didn’t say this but it seems the Senate will be close Dems are favored but it might be less than 5,000 vote difference 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Larry said:

How do you win every single House district in a state, and not win the Senate seat?  Bad candidate?  

Yes, and/or 3rd party candidate they does well enough. The republicans are sort of fractured with the trump/election denier/abortion banner. In any race a strong stance on any of those could change the results compared to other races in the same state 

As for your other post - I think it’s going to take a while for analysis that’s worth anything. Many races aren’t even called yet and everything I’m reading says people are weary of reading into exit polls too early. 

I thought DeSantis out performed at a level that made him see like a huge potential favorite, the assumed movement of the Latino vote is a huge huge problem for dems. 

But as the night went on it seems like it’s simply a reflection of how Florida changed. If DeSantis wants to appeal on the national stage he’s going to have to drop the trumplike like shtick and show more reasoned/rational approach to governance. I know what his reputation is, especially here, but my understanding is he’s actually a bright guy and can be very personable so the task is not one he can’t do. 

The wildcard there is Trump. But my understanding is that issue isn’t quite what it’s made out to be either. Trump will have money and backing of the party issues. Investigation issues. And many trumpers really like DeSantis, and I could see it working out where many trump supporters choose DeSantis as the candidate that they can support without all the baggage of trump. 

But that makes my previous point about moving away from the Trumplike shtick a little more difficult. But he can do it, if he chooses to. 

6 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

Jk guys..we all jump to bad conclusions. 

Well - we were working with the data we had at the time. The early data was not good for dems. 

and while that’s changed a bit there’s still quite a few elections yet to be called and there are plenty of wins for republicans last night. I’m not entirely sure the dems have any victory to declare over last night, except that it wasn’t a total bloodbath…

• Thumb down 1

4 minutes ago, tshile said:

I’m not entirely sure the dems have any victory to declare over last night, except that it wasn’t a total bloodbath…

Well, if Boebert actually loses, that would be something.  We wouldn't have to listen to her anymore and she can be free to move on to stripping, or whatever her next phase of life is that she's qualified for.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Larry said:

We might not see an actual vote on a nationwide abortion ban.  I'm pretty sure most of the R's realize that's a vote that would cost them, politically.  They'd really prefer for abortion be banned without any of them having to actually explicitly vote to do it.  

This is where exit polling and post election analysis will really matter. 

Leading up to yesterday there was lots of data suggesting abortion wasn’t a winning issue for dems. But a high youth/female turnout would suggest otherwise (as long as the election went that way) and exit polling could show otherwise. 

Polling in general is screwed right now - and that’s a belief on all sides. Responses are low and specifically low among republicans (more likely to support abortion bans/restrictions.) so it’s tough to say. 

but Ohio and NC stocked their state supreme courts with conservatives and if abortion was on the ballot - then those states clearly aren’t pro choice.  I’m not saying that’s the case - but if we want to say it’s on the ballot then you have to assess those outcomes as being very pro-life. We’ve got other states voting for protection amendments - but to me those states are dem states and Ohio/NC have been considered more up for grabs lately and that would be a bad sign for dems. 

5 minutes ago, Forehead said:

Well, if Boebert actually loses, that would be something.  We wouldn't have to listen to her anymore and she can be free to move on to stripping, or whatever her next phase of life is that she's qualified for.

for the core of the Republican Party, having the house and not having to cater to the crazies to get votes is not a bad thing. Mtg boebert Gaetz et al aren’t exactly liked. They’re viewed as making it difficult for the party to gain support and focus on their agenda 

Edited by tshile

4 minutes ago, Forehead said:

She isn’t qualified for stripping, unless you mean paint off the bottom of an old fishing vessel.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1