Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Election 2022 (Dems in charge of Senate. Reps take the House. Herschel Walker headed back home to ignore his children )

Cooked Crack

Have you voted yet?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Have you voted yet?

• By mail
    • Early voting
    • Not yet
    • can't vote/not voting

3 minutes ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

What's the argument for ranked choice voting?...Asking as someone who has never once read or gotten into a discussion about it lol...

Well the idea is you rank the candidates in order of preference. 

as your top preference becomes unavailable, your vote falls to the next person

it gets rid of people feeling like they can only vote for the R or the D because voting for an independent, Green Party, etc means your throwing your vote away

it also deals with spoiler candidates or situations like the 2016 gop primary where trump pulled 30% of votes but because there were 13 other candidates the remaining 70% was split so that no one could beat trump. 

@Califan007 The Constipated

this video is a great walkthrough

it’s also called the alternative vote

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumb up 1

36 minutes ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

What's the argument for ranked choice voting?...Asking as someone who has never once read or gotten into a discussion about it lol...

there are a few. There is a belief that is causes candidates to be less negative because they still want to be chosen as an option even if they aren't first. Also, the 50% threshold seems to be popular as kind of a backup. Get over 50%, you win. Ranking doesn't kick in.

• Thanks 1

'**** It, I’ll Kill Us All': Kristina Karamo's Ex-Husband Accused Her of Trying to Crash Car with Entire Family Inside

Kristina Karamo, Michigan’s Republican nominee for secretary of state, allegedly tried to crash a car with her husband and two children in it when he asked for a divorce, according to court documents obtained by Jezebel.

Karamo’s ex-husband, Adom Karamo, claimed that the candidate threatened to kill their daughters, now 13 and 14, in documents seeking parenting time with their daughters after the marriage ended, filed in Michigan family court in 2021. Adom described an alleged incident in which he was driving the whole family, and Karamo “attempted to wrestle control of the vehicle” from him and “crash it.” He claimed that she said, in the moment, “**** it, I’ll kill us all.” 

Karamo, a Trump-endorsed 2020 election denier, is a conspiracy theorist who spoke at a QAnon conference in 2021, has called abortion “child sacrifice” and a “satanic practice,” and believes that demonic possession is real. She suggested a “citizenship arrest” of billionaire liberal donor George Soros in 2017. If she wins in November, she will be in charge of the swing state’s elections. She is running on a platform emphasizing election denial and the importance of investigating voter fraud that does not exist.

Click on the link for the full article

On 8/31/2022 at 11:57 PM, The Evil Genius said:

I think you vote for 1 person and let the chips fall. If the parties cannot weed out candidates in their primaries, so be it. 

Guess I'm old school that way?

The primaries are the main reason to use ranked choice.

If the Republicans had ranked choice for the 2016 primary, Trump is probably not the nominee.  The issue is the mainstream candidates (Rubio, Cruz, Bush, Kasich) were hard to tell apart.  But there was only one Trump. So a candidate that was the last choice for probably at least 60% of the Republican base managed to win.

• Thumb up 2

26 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

The primaries are the main reason to use ranked choice.

If the Republicans had ranked choice for the 2016 primary, Trump is probably not the nominee.  The issue is the mainstream candidates (Rubio, Cruz, Bush, Kasich) were hard to tell apart.  But there was only one Trump. So a candidate that was the last choice for probably at least 60% of the Republican base managed to win.

I know that statement was used at the beginning. When there were 14 candidates. Splitting the vote. 

But I also note that at the end, when it was only Trump and Cruz, the primary voters still chose Trump. 

So let's just say that there's evidence against the "ranked choice means no Trump" theory. 

• Like 1

On 9/1/2022 at 12:05 AM, The Evil Genius said:

Well fwiw I think the EC is a joke. Plurality of vote should win an election. 

I work in a Greek restaurant, truly owned by Greeks. 

I knew decades ago that the Greeks actually "created" democracy,  the "one person, one vote" .  The US is not that.  We are a representative republic.  The EC is a complete joke if we're gonna rave about "democracy". 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skinsmarydu said:

I work in a Greek restaurant, truly owned by Greeks. 

I knew decades ago that the Greeks actually "created" democracy,  the "one person, one vote" .  The US is not that.  We are a representative republic.  The EC is a complete joke if we're gonna rave about "democracy". 

Well, democracy at its core isn’t really about “one person, one vote”…it’s about a system in which the people/public holds the power to determine who its political leaders are.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, EmirOfShmo said:

Watching the Today show this morning: Why the **** do they continue showing video of TFG at his mob gatherings? Then they show video of the asshole in PA he's supporting. Where is the same time allotment for Shapiro NBC? 

*end of rant

Because every person you see on TV is a corporate employee

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, EmirOfShmo said:

Watching the Today show this morning: Why the **** do they continue showing video of TFG at his mob gatherings? Then they show video of the asshole in PA he's supporting. Where is the same time allotment for Shapiro NBC? 

*end of rant

2 hours ago, LD0506 said:

Because every person you see on TV is a corporate employee

TV “news” is only about ratings, even MSNBC.  It’s never been any other way.

• Thumb up 1

On 9/3/2022 at 11:30 AM, China said:

Karamo “attempted to wrestle control of the vehicle” from him and “crash it.” He claimed that she said, in the moment, “**** it, I’ll kill us all.” 

Karamo, a Trump-endorsed 2020 election denier, is a conspiracy theorist who spoke at a QAnon conference in 2021, has called abortion “child sacrifice”…

yet she was more than willing to sacrifice her own children…a Pro-Life candidate who yells “**** it, I’ll kill us all”…

This is considered normal in MAGAritaville…

16 hours ago, Larry said:

So let's just say that there's evidence against the "ranked choice means no Trump" theory. 

Meh - I think you’re ignoring a lot of components of a primary cycle to make such a simple claim. 

people hold on longer than they should, trump was the runaway candidate before it was just him and Cruz, etc.