Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

16 hours ago, Chump Bailey said:

James Washington is a good player and would fit nicely here. 

I'm sure he is a fine enough guy. But he's still no better than a #3 WR at best. And as a free agent, he won't exactly be cheap either. So why spend a lot of money bringing in another 3rd/4th receiver when it seems the team has several of those types already?

2 hours ago, Jericho said:

I'm sure he is a fine enough guy. But he's still no better than a #3 WR at best. And as a free agent, he won't exactly be cheap either. So why spend a lot of money bringing in another 3rd/4th receiver when it seems the team has several of those types already?

He’s on pace for 25 yards and 20 catches. I doubt he’ll be that pricey.

2 hours ago, Chump Bailey said:

I don't think any of you has the slightest clue about James Washington or the fact the Steelers know how to draft WR's. That's okay though certainly :) 

I’m well aware of how good the Steelers are at drafting wrs. Washington has been a disappointment. Is he still dropping balls at an incredible rate? No because they don’t even want to throw the ball to him. Again, their trash. 

1 hour ago, Florgon79 said:

I’m well aware of how good the Steelers are at drafting wrs. Washington has been a disappointment. Is he still dropping balls at an incredible rate? No because they don’t even want to throw the ball to him. Again, their trash. 

Whatever my man. :)

Also, labeling James Washington as trash whether as a person or player is downright ignorant. 

Edited by Chump Bailey

12 hours ago, Jericho said:

If that's your assessment so be it. I have to disagree. I know a bit about Washington because I've participated in our ES GM Mock Draft's the past 8,9, 10 years now? I lost track :) Does that make me an expert on all things Washington? Of course not, but I am pretty familiar with his college play, draft profiles and some general background information. I'm also pretty good at analyzing players and I've hit on obscure late round prospects such as Lawrence Guy his DL Patriot teammate Deatrich Wise, Quinton Spain not to mention Chris Carson (7th round pick) and most recently Elijah Mitchell. Damien Harris is another player I've been knocked for. I think the poster said Harris would do nothing but rush for 3 yards and leave a cloud of dust - something like that. I always chuckle at these posters. I'm a humble dude but I would be a very good personnel person if I did this full-time, as I suspect would many of my other fellow GM's also if given the opportunity. 

It's good. I like him and you do not. No sweat :)

Edited by Chump Bailey
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, dyst said:

Why bring in OBJ when we have Curtis Samuel and Dyami Brown. We are stacked. Man this offseason yielded nothing for us.

Why would we sign DeAngelo Hall when we had Shawn Springs, Fred Smoot, and Carlos Rogers?

You sign talented players especially when you have guys on the roster who can't stay healthy.  Dyami is unproven and Samuel can't stay healthy.  

Also, why would Dallas draft CD Lamb?  That is certainly working out very well.  We need ballplayers on this roster.  We have enough good guys and guys you want your daughter to bring home.  We need a serious threat opposite Terry.  Also, with Ron being so quiet on this so far, I think Odell is on this team if he slips to us.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chump Bailey said:

If that's your assessment so be it. I have to disagree. I know a bit about Washington because I've participated in our ES GM Mock Draft's the past 8,9, 10 years now? I lost track :) Does that make me an expert on all things Washington? Of course not, but I am pretty familiar with his college play, draft profiles and some general background information. I'm also pretty good at analyzing players and I've hit on obscure late round prospects such as Lawrence Guy his DL Patriot teammate Deatrich Wise, Quinton Spain not to mention Chris Carson (7th round pick) and most recently Elijah Mitchell. Damien Harris is another player I've been knocked for. I think the poster said Harris would do nothing but rush for 3 yards and leave a cloud of dust - something like that. I always chuckle at these posters. I'm a humble dude but I would be a very good personnel person if I did this full-time, as I suspect would many of my other fellow GM's also if given the opportunity. 

It's good. I like him and you do not. No sweat :)

I've never said I do not like him, not sure where you got that from. I think the problem is, unlike most of the others names you dropped, Washington has played 3.5 seasons in the NFL and has had one semi-decent season. And even that was basically a decent #3 WR line. The rest of the time he's been more like a #4 WR. Which brings me back to the same question you keep ducking. Why spend a lot of money bringing in another 3rd/4th receiver when it seems the team has several of those types already? Do you intend to sign Washington to be a #2? What do you do with Samuel? What about Brown? What about the draft? Other than the fact you have a hard-on for Washington, is there a good reason to spend money and bring him in? What exactly is the plan here?

13 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

He’s on pace for 25 yards and 20 catches. I doubt he’ll be that pricey.

Antwaan Randle El money (adjusted for inflation) should get it done. Or maybe Ryan Grant Baltimore Ravens money

10 hours ago, Chump Bailey said:

I don't think any of you has the slightest clue about James Washington or the fact the Steelers know how to draft WR's. That's okay though certainly :) 

Well, it's not like the Steelers have ever drafted a bad WR (Sammie Coates - 3rd rounder in 2015, Dri Archer - 3rd rounder in in 2014, Markus Wheaton - 3rd rounder in in 2013) or have let mediocre WRs walked or get waived and just be busts elsewhere - Mike Wallace, Martavis Bryant, Antwaan Randle El, etc... Pittsburgh has drafted a ton of WRs, several of which have been at least decent. But if Pittsburgh lets Washington walk, you have to ask yourself why. And why should Washington sign him? Seems like a decent 3rd/4th WR, but he also seems suited for a good team with an actual QB to supplement their WR core. Not for a rebuilding team with no QB to pay him six million a year to be maybe the 3rd WR.

I see why someone might want to take a chance on the potential of James Washington.  The Steelers are deep at WR, and their top two receivers are very good.  The Steelers issues/injuries at QB meant there weren't a lot of passes to go around in the early years, and Pittsburgh kept building more depth at WR and it's now crowded.  I got the sense that James Washington has been under-utilized, and for many reasons wasn't able to make his mark as one of the top-2 WR targets for the Steelers.

It's likely James Washington will want out, and more likely he'll want to find another team that's thin at WR.  There could be some interest too, because with an underwhelming final year (as well as low overall numbers) his asking price might be affordable -- especially for a 2018 2nd round pick by a team with a history of finding great WR talent.  And years 3-7 are usually a WR's prime years.

The only question is, how thin is the WFT receiving corps?  Should WFT be giving up on Samuel and Brown? .. Could this intended as finding an upgrade for Sims or Carter? (Here, contract and prices would definitely come into play.)  J. Washington is likely going to be a good signing for a team that can give him the targets he didn't get in the crowded Pittsburgh group,.. but the question is, could WFT promise anything different?

Edited by Wyvern

11 hours ago, Dexter said:

Why would we sign DeAngelo Hall when we had Shawn Springs, Fred Smoot, and Carlos Rogers?

You sign talented players especially when you have guys on the roster who can't stay healthy.  Dyami is unproven and Samuel can't stay healthy.  

Also, why would Dallas draft CD Lamb?  That is certainly working out very well.  We need ballplayers on this roster.  We have enough good guys and guys you want your daughter to bring home.  We need a serious threat opposite Terry.  Also, with Ron being so quiet on this so far, I think Odell is on this team if he slips to us.

Yes but we have Dyami Brown.

Just looking at our free-agent signings this season and for a team that was in the playoffs last year, how many of our signings have made the team better?, just let me think, None. How many of our draft picks have made us better?, None. Year 2 of Ron and Co's so called 5 year plan and we're going backwards. I actually don't think any of our signings or draft picks would start for the Giants. This is going to be a long, long, long 5 years of mediocrity in my opinion. 

HTTR 

Just now, drowland said:

Keith Ismael was drafted in 2020.  I guess since he was waived and placed on the PS his 3 year contract voids, but he'd at least be an ERFA and can't go anywhere if the team doesn't want him to.  

I was going to point that out too. I would be cool with bringing back Lucas and Leno on decent contracts. I am now content with letting the oft-injured Scherff walk.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Florgon79 said:

You know damn well what the saying means. It has nothing to do with his character. Nice try though.

Nice try at what? He's a quality player. I stand by my opinion that your statement is ignorant and know nothing about the man or player. You may be confused with the term. I'm not suggesting you are some vile racist or anything of the sort. You are unaware of the man's background, his college play etc...

Edited by Chump Bailey

18 hours ago, Jericho said:

I've never said I do not like him, not sure where you got that from. I think the problem is, unlike most of the others names you dropped, Washington has played 3.5 seasons in the NFL and has had one semi-decent season. And even that was basically a decent #3 WR line. The rest of the time he's been more like a #4 WR. Which brings me back to the same question you keep ducking. Why spend a lot of money bringing in another 3rd/4th receiver when it seems the team has several of those types already? Do you intend to sign Washington to be a #2? What do you do with Samuel? What about Brown? What about the draft? Other than the fact you have a hard-on for Washington, is there a good reason to spend money and bring him in? What exactly is the plan here?

Antwaan Randle El money (adjusted for inflation) should get it done. Or maybe Ryan Grant Baltimore Ravens money

1. He would very likely not command a big money contract

2. You're discounting Ben's decline in play and Washington's skillset

The plan is James Washington could very well be our own version of Deebo Samuel.

12 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

1. He would very likely not command a big money contract

2. You're discounting Ben's decline in play and Washington's skillset

The plan is James Washington could very well be our own version of Deebo Samuel.

Seems more likely he’d be our Paul Richardson 2.0. But you are the James Washington expert here so yeah, let’s sign him. None of it matters until we figure out the QB situation. We hardly have a better situation than a declining future HOFer.