Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Pay the Man!!

gooseneck
Message added by TK,

Keep the politics OUT of this thread & the Stadium in general. If you want to discuss Heinecke's Twitter, take it to the Tailgate forum. Failure to do so may result in a Rule 18 violation. What's Rule 18? Go look it up. :) 

2 minutes ago, dckey said:

And I'm 46 and remember all those Superbowls, Greatest Superbowl Ever.  I grew up around RFK.  But you asked me if that was Haskins would I say he's the qb of the future and my answer is Hell No.  I'm not anointing nobody with 1 good game and a bunch of Bad games.  

Heinicke doesn’t have a bunch of bad games tho!  LOL

2 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

I posted a video here about a week ago saying Carolina fans didn't know why he was cut because even his preseason tape was mistake free. 

Wasn't he cut because they drafted Will Grier that draft.  He had 1 game 2018 in this system and was 33-53 for 274yds 1 TD and 3 Int.  Hurt his elbow and was placed on IR.  They re-signed him and then drafted Will Grier and cut him after the draft.

2 minutes ago, dckey said:

Wasn't he cut because they drafted Will Grier that draft.  He had 1 game 2018 in this system and was 33-53 for 274yds 1 TD and 3 Int.  Hurt his elbow and was placed on IR.  They re-signed him and then drafted Will Grier and cut him after the draft.

He signed with them in March and was cut after the preseason. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taylor_Heinicke

Sign him up for 2-3 years at super low number. Give him some security to see if he can build off this performance. And in the meantime we have a super valuable break in case of emergency. He played amazing yesterday. I'm sold he should have a spot to compete, I wouldn't be crowning him the starter just yet.

Let's face it, cognitive biases happen in sports all the time when it comes to assessing players.  This is why you continue to see so many high draft picks that turn out to be busts.  Early bloomers, physical specimens, guys that come from big name schools, tend to get graded out higher, and in many cases, mistakenly.  Taylor Heinicke, for all his accomplishments in college, is not a physical specimen, and did not play for a big name program.  He has spent the last 5 years battling the stigma of being undrafted, and has been given few opportunities to prove himself.  It is only because of a series of unexpected events that Heinicke was even given the chance to show what he can do.

To me Heinicke's story does strike some similarities to Kurt Warner's.  One big difference though, is that when Kurt had the chance to show what he can do he had Issac Bruce, Tory Holt, and Marshall Faulk.  Heinicke has Cam and Steve Sims.  If Heinicke had a strong Wr corp to throw to, he would have beaten the Panthers and might have beaten the Bucs.

1 minute ago, ananoman said:

Let's face it, cognitive biases happen in sports all the time when it comes to assessing players.  This is why you continue to see so many high draft picks that turn out to be busts.  Early bloomers, physical specimens, guys that come from big name schools, tend to get graded out higher, and in many cases, mistakenly.  Taylor Heinicke, for all his accomplishments in college, is not a physical specimen, and did not play for a big name program.  He has spent the last 5 years battling the stigma of being undrafted, and has been given few opportunities to prove himself.  It is only because of a series of unexpected events that Heinicke was even given the chance to show what he can do.

To me Heinicke's story does strike some similarities to Kurt Warner's.  One big difference though, is that when Kurt had the chance to show what he can do he had Issac Bruce, Tory Holt, and Marshall Faulk.  Heinicke has Cam and Steve Sims.  If Heinicke had a strong Wr corp to throw to, he would have beaten the Panthers and might have beaten the Bucs.

Just for example sake, Haskins has probably been bigger than everyone he played football with from the ages of 10-18 years old. This got him to a big time program with tons of talent around him. Flash forward a few years, and well, we know how his story ends.

If Taylor can stay healthy, he is a starting QB in this league. Maybe not consistently a 90+ QBR player, but who knows?  Build that defense, surround him with as much talent as possible, and see how it goes. 

I just don't understand how anyone can make an assessment of his qb play after 1 game.  He's started 2 regular season games in this system 1 in Carolina and last night.  The first game with way better weapons Mccaffrey, DJ Moore, Samuels, Devin Funchess he was 33-53 274yds 1 TD and 3 Int against a 6-9 ATL team.  They loss 24-10.  Whose to say he doesn't have more performances like that????   I want to find out, but with a true competition.

Taylor's durability is a major question mark. We all saw the talent, accuracy and the fire in his game but much like Kyle Allen you have to hold your breath every time they make contact with big humans. He separated his shoulder yesterday and snapped his elbow in Carolina all in what is a combined three games of play. We at the very least need a guy like Fitzpatrick as insurance if we are rolling with Taylor and Kyle.

4 hours ago, dckey said:

I wouldn't take him over Heinicke right now, but He did it, look at his record.  He took the Titans to the Wildcard and beat the Colts.  He also ran for 100 yards in that game.  Problem was he couldn't stay healthy.

I'm not saying Cousins wasn't good or deserving of a contract, but we're talking about how much you should pay for him.  I wanted Cousins when we had the chance at 16mil.  I just don't think he's worth his asking price.

You keep talking about what somebody did before.  Who cares what Marcus Mariota did in the 2017 playoffs.  That’s a lifetime ago.  Get with the times.

1 hour ago, dckey said:

I just don't understand how anyone can make an assessment of his qb play after 1 game.  He's started 2 regular season games in this system 1 in Carolina and last night.  The first game with way better weapons Mccaffrey, DJ Moore, Samuels, Devin Funchess he was 33-53 274yds 1 TD and 3 Int against a 6-9 ATL team.  They loss 24-10.  Whose to say he doesn't have more performances like that????   I want to find out, but with a true competition.

You gauge it in real time, dude.  He was 26-44 306 yards 1 TD 1 INT.  6 carries 46 yards and a score where he dove 4 yards towards the pylon for the score.  Real time my man. 

6 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Not fair to lump Cousins in that list. He played at a very high level for three seasons(2015-2017)and we let him walk. This past year he was top 10 in just about every QB statistic.

Yes, but...

How were Curt's in the playoffs this year?

Heck, he was likely watching from here and not the sidelines.

73b363a530c630b74830164c4302f3bf.jpg

Taylor showed grit, pocket presence, ability to run and make correct reads - all qualities of an NFL starter. But as much as I loved his performance, let's all take a collective breath and remember Nick Mullens. He destroyed the Raiders, got verified on Twitter and has been mediocre since. I'm by no means saying Heinicke is that. But we need to approach this with a bit of caution. With that said, sign the man and let's keep building!

The Raiders have no defense and Nick Mullens sure wasn't facing them in a playoff game! 

One of the reasons we wouldn't give Kirk franchise QB money was that he failed to deliver in games that mattered. Ever. Heinicke can already check that box. 😁

2 hours ago, -JB- said:

You keep talking about what somebody did before.  Who cares what Marcus Mariota did in the 2017 playoffs.  That’s a lifetime ago.  Get with the times.

You gauge it in real time, dude.  He was 26-44 306 yards 1 TD 1 INT.  6 carries 46 yards and a score where he dove 4 yards towards the pylon for the score.  Real time my man. 

Isn’t real time just a more positive way of saying knee jerk? 

A big factor for me in bringing back Heinicke and him being our potential starter is that he now has playoff experience. We're a young team and it was good for our team to get their feet wet with a playoff game. But I think the most important player to have playoff experience if your team is going to get to the next level is your QB. Assuming Smith retires and the uncertainty of what we do in the draft and free agency at the QB position, Heinicke will be the only QB on the roster with playoff experience. 

If we want to go to where we think we can next season, having a QB with at least one playoff game under his belt should prove invaluable. Heinicke fits the bill and I think Rivera is going to give him every chance to be the starter next season.

3 hours ago, Berggy9598 said:

Isn’t real time just a more positive way of saying knee jerk? 

When I think of knee jerk reactions I think jumping up and down for the possibility to trade multiple draft picks and to pay millions on millions of dollars just for the chance to bring in Matt Stafford a guy who’s 32 years old and 12 year vet who has already been payed well over hundreds of millions of dollars with a grand total of 0-3 career playoff record.  

5 hours ago, petey hodge said:

Yes, but...

How were Curt's in the playoffs this year?

Heck, he was likely watching from here and not the sidelines.

73b363a530c630b74830164c4302f3bf.jpg

Didnt he win a playoff game last year?? Most years isnt he relevant in December??? How many times have we had a qb like that in 30 years. Cousins is a good qb i know people dont want to admit it but hes good and durable.

7 hours ago, -JB- said:

And after 1 game Your acting like he's Patrick Mahomes with those numbers🤣🤣🤣.  Glad your not our GM

1 hour ago, -JB- said:

When I think of knee jerk reactions I think jumping up and down for the possibility to trade multiple draft picks and to pay millions on millions of dollars just for the chance to bring in Matt Stafford a guy who’s 32 years old and 12 year vet who has already been payed well over hundreds of millions of dollars with a grand total of 0-3 career playoff record.  

Knee Jerk reactions is jumping up and down for a player whose never even won a game, playoffs or regular season and got injured in Both Starts (IR first injury).  Has 2 TDs and 4 INT in his 2 combined games.  Had a chance to tie it in the 4th Quarter and took a bad Sack.  People are anointing him QB of the future.  GTFOH!!!!!

Archived