Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Pay the Man!!

gooseneck
Message added by TK,

Keep the politics OUT of this thread & the Stadium in general. If you want to discuss Heinecke's Twitter, take it to the Tailgate forum. Failure to do so may result in a Rule 18 violation. What's Rule 18? Go look it up. :) 

17 hours ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

Didnt he win a playoff game last year?? Most years isnt he relevant in December??? How many times have we had a qb like that in 30 years. Cousins is a good qb i know people dont want to admit it but hes good and durable.

Why are we still so Hung up on Cousins?Never forget He Stunk it up against the undermanned Giants a few years ago which was needed to make the playoff!  

I would sign a deal with Heinecki for a least 2 years heavily incentive laden.  Look Who knows if alex is back... Kyle we have to keep, and we need this guy too.  Doing that allows us to focus on other wholes and not panic reach on a drafted QB this year.  I'm okay with that.  The guy knows the offense.  And can throw down field.

11 hours ago, Bacon said:

The Raiders have no defense and Nick Mullens sure wasn't facing them in a playoff game! 

One of the reasons we wouldn't give Kirk franchise QB money was that he failed to deliver in games that mattered. Ever. Heinicke can already check that box. 😁

The point isn't in whom he played, it's the fact that the world rushed into giving him the crown before he played a full season.

Again, Taylor looks to have all the intangibles, but I keep hearing $5-10M/yr figures and want us to approach it with slight caution.

16 hours ago, dckey said:

I just don't understand how anyone can make an assessment of his qb play after 1 game.  He's started 2 regular season games in this system 1 in Carolina and last night.  The first game with way better weapons Mccaffrey, DJ Moore, Samuels, Devin Funchess he was 33-53 274yds 1 TD and 3 Int against a 6-9 ATL team.  They loss 24-10.  Whose to say he doesn't have more performances like that????   I want to find out, but with a true competition.

I agree, but reality is the QB touches the ball every play, the position is just too important.

I like how Rivera does not crown any quarterback as the number one and he waits to see how they compete in training camp, preseason games, during practices, etc.

So I would sign Heinke and let him know he will be given every chance to compete to win the job.  Meanwhile you check to see how Allen is doing recovering from his injury

and you hope that Alex will tell you he is going to retire.  We need extra cap space from Smith's contract.  Also does Wentz stay in Philly or does his agent try to get him out of

Philly?  I would not want Cam Newton because he did not do well this year with the Patriots.  Will Rothlesberger retire or just leave the Steelers.  Skins would be wise to see

if any other big names show up as available in the off season.  Brees will probably go into broadcasting and I would not want Rivers.   Indy will probably go after Wentz.

52 minutes ago, veteranskinsfan said:

I like how Rivera does not crown any quarterback as the number one and he waits to see how they compete in training camp, preseason games, during practices, etc.

he has essentially just admit to doing the complete opposite in 2020 

13 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

he has essentially just admit to doing the complete opposite in 2020 

That was out of necessity. If there had been a full offseason and preseason schedule, I don't believe for a minute that Haskins would have been the Week 1 starter.

Just now, profusion said:

That was out of necessity. If there had been a full offseason and preseason schedule, I don't believe for a minute that Haskins would have been the Week 1 starter.

I disagree, it wasn’t necessity, it was a self confessed misjudgment on Rivera’s part. We brought Kyle Allen in as he knew the system. He just didn’t get enough reps. 

7 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I disagree, it wasn’t necessity, it was a self confessed misjudgment on Rivera’s part. We brought Kyle Allen in as he knew the system. He just didn’t get enough reps. 

Yeah I heard that on the junkies too.  The 2021 training camp will be a QB competition between at least 3 guys.  Allen/Heinicke/? player to be acquired later.  I really don't see them drafting anyone high so it's likely a vet.

Hogs Haven has an article today that kinda pours water on my Heinicke fantasies. 

https://www.hogshaven.com/2021/1/12/22226454/erfa-rfa-and-washingtons-quarterbacks

SInce Heinicke was an undrafted free agent coming out of college, there would be no draft compensation if Washington were to tender him at the “original round” amount and he were to sign with another team.

The only choice here is whether to offer Heinicke the lowest level of $2.24m or to use the Second Round tender offer that costs $3.42m. The extra $1.2m would simply be insurance intended to keep any other team from “poaching” the young quarterback.

Considering that Heinicke was out of the league completely in 2019 and most of 2020, and has played less than 5 quarters of professional football since the end of 2018, this seems like a pretty expensive premium.

I’ve also gotta think that Heinicke will see his best opportunity of sticking on a roster to lie with Scott Turner and Ron Rivera, and I think he might forgo an extra million or so of non-guaranteed money if he thought he might be given a shot at getting on the field in the regular season in Washington versus competing for a backup spot somewhere else.

My guess is that Washington will tender Heinicke at the lowest amount with little risk of him being signed away by another team (remember that the tender also comes with a right of first refusal if they want to match a competing offer). If they choose to spend the extra money on a second-round tender, however, that would virtually guarantee that he would enter camp with Washington in 2021.

Strengthening my opinion, I have to say that I was underwhelmed by Ron Rivera’s response after the Tampa Bay game when he was asked to assess Heinicke’s play. Ron praised him, but not effusively or with the unrestrained enthusiasm he usually gives, say, Alex Smith. Remember, Ron traded draft resources to Carolina to get Kyle Allen into Washington this past off-season when he could have signed Heinicke to a simple vet-minimum contract prior to training camp with no decrease in draft assets. Rivera just doesn’t seem to me to be as enamored with Taylor Heinicke as one might expect him to be in the circumstances.

I don't know that I agree with the contract value we'd give itself. I've been listening to Ron's comments about their FA approach with Thomas and JMC and others and he seems gitty that they were able to get those guys to 2 year deals so we're getting a deal both this year and next year. It wouldn't surprise me to see that again, with both Allen and Heinicke. Especially with what this franchise has gone through with Cousins, what other franchises like Denver (with Case) or SF with Jimmy G or Jax with Foles. So many examples of teams signing guys to big deals on such limited experience (less than a year of really good starts) and then realizing that it was a mistake.

I'm not sure if all the guys I name belong in this category or if others (Carr, Cousins, Wentz, Goff, etc) but its just a show that while QB is the most important decision, making the wrong choice at QB and letting them hit FA where you're forced to pay them or make a decision on them too soon can really cause a hindrance on building a franchise. So I'd hope we can lock these guys up for a few years just to have some solidarity at the position. 

But I'm kinda assuming the best case scenario in that one of these guys takes off and has a really good season. If they're both bad maybe we don't want to be stuck with a 3-6 million dollar penalty for cutting them both. So the question becomes are these guys emerging starters or on the same level of a TJ Yates or Tom Savage or a bunch of the other made to order backup QBs who make you cringe when they enter the game. 

20 hours ago, veteranskinsfan said:

So I would sign Heinke and let him know he will be given every chance to compete to win the job.  Meanwhile you check to see how Allen is doing recovering from his injury

and you hope that Alex will tell you he is going to retire.  We need extra cap space from Smith's contract.  Also does Wentz stay in Philly or does his agent try to get him out of

Philly?  I would not want Cam Newton because he did not do well this year with the Patriots.  Will Rothlesberger retire or just leave the Steelers.  Skins would be wise to see

if any other big names show up as available in the off season.  Brees will probably go into broadcasting and I would not want Rivers.   Indy will probably go after Wentz.

I mean technically isn't Alex the only QB we have under contract? 

6 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

lI've been listening to Ron's comments about their FA approach with Thomas and JMC and others and he seems gitty that they were able to get those guys to 2 year deals so we're getting a deal both this year and next year. It wouldn't surprise me to see that again, with both Allen and Heinicke.

Ideally if we were retaining both I would offer them both the same 2 year deal. Problem is neither will want to be stuck as a #3 longer term, especially if we decide to bring another vet in, or intend to draft someone.

wouldn’t surprise me if something was already in the pipeline at QB

8 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

Hogs Haven has an article today that kinda pours water on my Heinicke fantasies. 

https://www.hogshaven.com/2021/1/12/22226454/erfa-rfa-and-washingtons-quarterbacks

I don't know that I agree with the contract value we'd give itself. I've been listening to Ron's comments about their FA approach with Thomas and JMC and others and he seems gitty that they were able to get those guys to 2 year deals so we're getting a deal both this year and next year. It wouldn't surprise me to see that again, with both Allen and Heinicke. Especially with what this franchise has gone through with Cousins, what other franchises like Denver (with Case) or SF with Jimmy G or Jax with Foles. So many examples of teams signing guys to big deals on such limited experience (less than a year of really good starts) and then realizing that it was a mistake.

I'm not sure if all the guys I name belong in this category or if others (Carr, Cousins, Wentz, Goff, etc) but its just a show that while QB is the most important decision, making the wrong choice at QB and letting them hit FA where you're forced to pay them or make a decision on them too soon can really cause a hindrance on building a franchise. So I'd hope we can lock these guys up for a few years just to have some solidarity at the position. 

But I'm kinda assuming the best case scenario in that one of these guys takes off and has a really good season. If they're both bad maybe we don't want to be stuck with a 3-6 million dollar penalty for cutting them both. So the question becomes are these guys emerging starters or on the same level of a TJ Yates or Tom Savage or a bunch of the other made to order backup QBs who make you cringe when they enter the game. 

Why would this article make you pessimistic on Heinicke? I didn't get that at all. 

Archived