Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Trump Riot Aftermath (Oath Keepers founder Stewart Rhodes found guilty of seditious conspiracy. Proud Boys join the club)

Cooked Crack

The conclusion from that doj memo in @China’s post needs to be highlighted 

VI. CONCLUDING THOUGHTS

A final factor would need to be considered that is absent in most cases – whether the country would be best served by a criminal prosecution. On the one hand, as discussed above, a substantial federal interest is served by prosecuting a leader who attempted to overturn an election. On the other hand, criminal charges against Trump could have a dangerously divisive effect on the country. Trump’s unrelenting rhetoric about a stolen election no doubt contributed to the violent response that occurred on Jan. 6. DOJ would need to consider the backlash that would likely follow the filing of criminal charges against him. Violent protests and civil unrest should be expected. We might even anticipate loss of life.

The other potential negative consequence that would need to be considered would be an acquittal. If Trump were charged and acquitted at trial, then he and his violent extremist followers would be emboldened. A sober and clear-eyed assessment of prosecution must consider that charging Trump criminally could have profoundly negative consequences for our country.

The only thing worse would be not charging him.

Damn. Those seem like strong words. 

28 minutes ago, mistertim said:

What exactly is Rudy's angle here? It's not a criminal investigation at this point and we know by now that there's basically zero repercussions for defying a lawful Congressional subpoena.

Maybe he sees a criminal investigation down the road and this is a way to get more lenient treatment

• Sad 1
  • Thumb up 1

Kimberly Guilfoyle's meeting with Jan. 6 committee goes awry following clash over ground rules

A tense confrontation between the House select committee investigating the January 6 assault on the U.S. Capitol and Kimberly Guilfoyle unfolded privately on Friday morning, with Guilfoyle and her lawyers abruptly ending her conversation with the committee over concerns about its ground rules, according to four people familiar with the exchange.

Guilfoyle, a longtime adviser to former President Donald Trump, was scheduled to meet virtually with the committee on February 25, following discussions between the committee and her lawyers.

Guilfoyle is engaged to Donald Trump Jr., the former president's eldest son, and is one of the most high-profile confidants of the Trump family to meet with the committee.

She also spoke at the January 6, 2021, rally at the Ellipse near the White House and was backstage that day with the Trump family and administration officials.

The four people familiar with Friday's exchange requested anonymity, since they were not authorized to discuss the deliberations.

But, they said, when Guilfoyle appeared on Friday's virtual meeting, she and her lawyers grew immediately concerned when they saw who else was on the call, including lawmakers on the committee such as Representatives Adam Schiff of California and Jamie Raskin of Maryland, both Democrats.

Guilfoyle spoke up and asked why members — and not just lawyers and committee staff — were on the call, three of the people said.

"Kim balked and said this isn't my understanding," one of the people said. A second person described her as "outraged," since she believed this conversation was going to be more informative and not a formal deposition.

"This is not my understanding," Guilfoyle told the committee, and then said she would cease to continue the conversation until her lawyers had further discussions with the committee about the format, the people said.

Click on the link for the full article

• Haha 1

Insurrectionist (Who Threatened To Shoot His Own Kids If They Turned Him In) Goes On Trial Tomorrow!

When the first trial stemming from the attack on the Capitol opens on Monday, it will set the stage for prosecutors to do more than merely lay out the details of how the defendant, Guy Wesley Reffitt, sought to storm the building with a pistol at his hip.

For the first time in a courtroom, they will present a broad portrait of the violent chaos that erupted that day and seek to persuade a jury that the pro-Trump mob that Mr. Reffitt is accused of joining struck at the heart of American democracy by disrupting the transition of presidential power.

The trial, which will take place in Federal District Court in Washington and begin on Monday morning with jury selection, may not be the flashiest or most significant of the dozens of Capitol riot cases that are scheduled to go to trial this year.

But because it is the first to reach a courtroom, it will most likely set the tone for those that follow and serve as a kind of proving ground for the charges prosecutors have filed against hundreds of defendants. (More than 200 people have already pleaded guilty in cases related to the Capitol attack.)

• Thumb up 1

Man Identified by Jan. 6 Sleuths as ‘Texas Pleather’ Arrested After Ex-Girlfriend Identifies Him to Feds

An Austin man who became known to online sleuths as “#TexasPleather” has been arrested and charged with breaching the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6 after his ex-girlfriend identified him to federal investigators just one week after they broke up.

Geoffrey Samuel Shough, 37, has been charged with one felony count and four misdemeanors. Shough was seen on surveillance video shouldering his way to the front of the crowd that overran police guarding the Senate Wing Door.

“The footage shows Shough forcibly entering the U.S. Capitol Building during the second breach of the Senate Wing Door at 2:48 p.m.,” prosecutors say in the statement of facts supporting the criminal complaint against Shough. “Shough was among the first few individuals to breach a line of uniformed Capitol Police Officers who were attempting to prevent the rioters from entering the Capitol. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Thumb up 1

The conspiracy theorist  in me says it’s awfully convenient that we spent a week getting riled up about people fighting for democracy, then our government goes after a former president for trying to overthrow the government

I expect that’s an argument we hear soon. 

3 minutes ago, tshile said:

The conspiracy theorist  in me says it’s awfully convenient that we spent a week getting riled up about people fighting for democracy, then our government goes after a former president for trying to overthrow the government

I expect that’s an argument we hear soon. 

Haven’t they been going after a former president for trying to overthrow the government for a while now?

For some reason, I decided to skim the document a bit, and I saw something about the "lawyer" not actually being legally his lawyer because the letter that supposedly established their legal relationship was left unsigned.

Page 20, for anyone interested in reading it themselves, I guess. https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/21321582-house-select-committee-filing

Edited by PokerPacker
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, The Almighty Buzz said:

Haven’t they been going after a former president for trying to overthrow the government for a while now?

Yeah but tonight they submitted a 60 page document into the record that outlines it and makes a formal accusation 

or something 

Eventually they will need to send referrals to the DOJ.  And so far the DOJ hasn't done much.  We're more than 50 days out from the referral for Mark Meadows, and he still hasn't been indicted.  I'm not very sanguine about how the DOJ has been handling things.  I'd like to see a little more aggressive stance from them.

• Sad 2
  • Thumb up 1

12 hours ago, China said:

And nothing of value was lost.

I had a friend kill himself a couple months ago, I should think to myself "No! That dude killed himself, that is never the answer". Honestly, I don't care anymore. Next time, kill yourself before you try to overthrow our government.

7 hours ago, PokerPacker said:

For some reason, I decided to skim the document a bit, and I saw something about the "lawyer" not actually being legally his lawyer because the letter that supposedly established their legal relationship was left unsigned.

Page 20, for anyone interested in reading it themselves, I guess. https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/21321582-house-select-committee-filing

Is there anything they wouldn't say or try to save their own ass? You think they've suddenly found the truth now? Or strategy? They will show themselves like they always do eventually.

9 hours ago, China said:

Eventually they will need to send referrals to the DOJ.  And so far the DOJ hasn't done much.  We're more than 50 days out from the referral for Mark Meadows, and he still hasn't been indicted.  I'm not very sanguine about how the DOJ has been handling things.  I'd like to see a little more aggressive stance from them.

Doj is going to do jack ****.

You will get some report in October and that will be it.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

12 hours ago, China said:

Man Identified by Jan. 6 Sleuths as ‘Texas Pleather’ Arrested After Ex-Girlfriend Identifies Him to Feds

An Austin man who became known to online sleuths as “#TexasPleather” has been arrested and charged with breaching the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6 after his ex-girlfriend identified him to federal investigators just one week after they broke up. 

Online sleuths tagged Shough with the nickname #TexasPleather because of the jacket he was pictured wearing.

That jacket is what led Shough’s ex-girlfriend, identified in court documents as L.T., to identify him to federal investigators.

If nothing else he should be prosecuted for wearing that godawful coat.

Geoffrey-Shough-J6.jpg

• Like 2