Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Trump Riot Aftermath (Oath Keepers founder Stewart Rhodes found guilty of seditious conspiracy. Proud Boys join the club)

Cooked Crack

3 hours ago, LadySkinsFan said:

When the president is a criminal s(he) should be prosecuted. The mistake was made when Ford pardoned Nixon. 

OT trivia.  Feel free to skip.  

The first vote I ever cast for President was for Ford.  And pardoning Nixon was one of the reasons I voted for him.  A big one.  

You see, my reasoning was that he had to know that doing that would cost him.  Maybe he figured that being an incumbent, he could ride it out and get reelected anyway.  But he had to know it would cost some.  And he did it anyway.  

It's the only time I can think of where I'm pretty sure that a President did something, knowing it would cost him, because he believed it was good for the country.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Larry said:

OT trivia.  Feel free to skip.  

The first vote I ever cast for President was for Ford.  And pardoning Nixon was one of the reasons I voted for him.  A big one.  

You see, my reasoning was that he had to know that doing that would cost him.  Maybe he figured that being an incumbent, he could ride it out and get reelected anyway.  But he had to know it would cost some.  And he did it anyway.  

It's the only time I can think of where I'm pretty sure that a President did something, knowing it would cost him, because he believed it was good for the country.  

I'm sure that Ford thought it was good for the country to pardon Nixon. Ford was an honorable man who did a lot of good for the country. Pardoning Nixon wasn't one of them. 

I voted for the first time in 1972. I've never voted for a Republican because after Nixon and his Southern Strategy that started changing the Republican Party into the White Supremist Party and the Dixiecrats moved over there then saw the wholesale adoption of Nazi propaganda I would never vote for them. 

I'm a progressive more interested in government working for We the People than corporations and the extremely wealthy.

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

Capitol rioter from Idaho gets 4 years in federal prison for attacking police

An Idaho man who hit a police officer with a pipe as part of the mob that stormed the U.S. Capitol last year was sentenced Friday to more than four years in federal prison.

Duke Edward Wilson, a 68-year-old logger from the small city of Nampa, told U.S. District Judge Royce Lamberth that he didn’t remember many of his actions. Prosecutors said he attacked at least three officers in a tunnel in the U.S. Capitol Building on Jan. 6, 2021.

Lamberth said the 51-month sentence — the maximum allowed under federal sentencing guidelines — was necessary because the insurrection was “a horrible day for our country.”

“It’s a message that the court has to send, that our country cannot deal with that,” Lamberth said.

Click on the link for the full article

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Dozens more US Capitol Police officers were injured on January 6 than previously known, report says

Roughly 114 US Capitol Police officers reported injuries as a result of the attack on the Capitol on January 6, 2021, a government watchdog said in a new report Monday, well above the previously widely reported estimate of around 80 injured officers.

The Government Accountability Office surveyed Capitol Police officers who responded to the riot. The report says of roughly 1,782 officers employed by the Capitol Police between June and September 2021, around 315 responded -- the largest response group of any investigation thus far into the department. For example, the Capitol Police inspector general reported reaching out to around 86 officers, with only 36 responding.

The report also notes 150 Capitol Police officers reported using force 293 times during the day. Some officers who responded told the GAO they had hesitated to use force because they worried the department wouldn't support their decision, and that a perceived concern about optics by members of Congress influenced decision making.

"Of these, 57 respondents indicated that they felt that the leadership culture of the Capitol Police generally discouraged them from using force or that officers were hesitant to use force because of a fear of disciplinary actions," the report said.

• Sad 1

DC Metro employee charged in connection with Jan. 6 attack on Capitol

According to the U.S. Department of Justice, Iraj George Javid was arrested last Wednesday and faces charges of: entering and remaining in a restricted building or grounds; disorderly and disruptive conduct in a restricted building or grounds; disorderly conduct in a Capitol building; and parading, demonstrating or picketing in a Capitol building.

https://wtop.com/dc/2022/03/dc-metro-employee-charged-in-connection-with-jan-6-attack-on-capitol/

Iraj-George-Javid-US-Dept.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

Edited by ClaytoAli

Lawyer concedes Jan. 6 defendant's partial guilt in closing arguments

The first criminal trial over the Jan. 6 storming of the Capitol hurtled toward a conclusion on Monday, with a prosecutor thundering about the defendant’s guilt and a defense attorney offering a surprise concession that his client is actually guilty of a minor part of the charges he is facing.

The twists and turns came as both sides presented closing arguments to the jury in the case against Guy Reffitt, 49, a Texas man accused of leading an early wave of rioters up a stairway outside the Capitol, carrying a pistol on his hip as he did so and later threatening to shoot his children if they reported him to the FBI. The case is expected to go to the jury early Tuesday.

Attorney William Welch, who has mounted an unusually minimalist defense for Reffitt during the trial, took a similarly unconventional tack in his closing statement. He bluntly told jurors that Reffitt was guilty on Jan. 6 of the misdemeanor offense of crossing a police line set up for the visit of a Secret Service protectee. However, the defense lawyer said his client was not guilty of the felony charge of doing so while armed, nor of four other felony charges he faces.

2 minutes ago, tshile said:

Wasn’t this the guy that was supposedly cooperating ?

hard to keep track

What I know about this guy, from a high level, is that he has an extensive history as a government informant prior to his Proud Boys days.  He was in the White House post election/pre insurrection.  He was arrested on gun charges either on 1/4 or 1/5 so he didn’t directly participate ON 1/6.  He was sentenced to 5 months for burning a BLM flag that he stole from a Black church in DC.

• Like 1

Trump Coup Lawyer Benchslapped In Jan. 6 Committee Dispute. Again.

Friday night brought another humiliating benchslap for John Eastman, Trump’s infamous coup curious lawyer.

Eastman, who convinced the former president that Mike Pence had the power to overturn Biden’s win, is suing the January 6 Select Committee in DC to block a subpoena for his phone records. But the Committee subpoenaed Chapman’s former employer Chapman University, since that genius used work email for his acts of mental onanism. So Eastman filed a second suit against the Committee in the Central District of California seeking to block disclosure.

Judge David O. Carter had little patience for Eastman’s antics, ordering him in January to begin reviewing emails and producing a privilege log for those he was withholding. In the dispute over Eastman’s expansive claims of privilege, the Committee filed a brief on Wednesday arguing that the crime-fraud exception to privilege applies, since Eastman functionally advised his client Donald Trump how to obstruct certification of the election, an official act of Congress.

Eastman countered on Friday afternoon with his own creative legal filing, arguing that “the defendants have unveiled an entire criminal case under the auspices of a filing on an evidentiary privilege issue” making him a “pseudo-defense attorney for the former President.” As such, he claimed to be entitled to exculpatory Brady and Giglio materials including evidence impeaching Committee witnesses, internal Justice Department deliberations about possible election fraud prosecutions, and any statements by Donald Trump which might prove that he actually believed Eastman’s fakakta legal theories and thus lacked the requisite mens rea to willfully violate the law.

Eastman demanded a postponement of a hearing scheduled for this Tuesday, March 8, so that the government might scour its records to comply with his request. He also complained that the government had exceeded its page count in its brief, and thus he should also be able to opine at length on why he’s entitled to criminal protections in a civil trial.

The Committee immediately docketed a response noting that Eastman is not entitled to criminal protections in a civil case, because LOLWUT, and that the defendants have said for months that they might invoke the crime-fraud exception.

And apparently the court agreed wholeheartedly, since just hours later Judge Carter unceremoniously dropkicked each and every one of Eastman’s arguments.

Click on the links for more

Edited by China
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, China said:

Lawyer concedes Jan. 6 defendant's partial guilt in closing arguments

The first criminal trial over the Jan. 6 storming of the Capitol hurtled toward a conclusion on Monday, with a prosecutor thundering about the defendant’s guilt and a defense attorney offering a surprise concession that his client is actually guilty of a minor part of the charges he is facing.

The twists and turns came as both sides presented closing arguments to the jury in the case against Guy Reffitt, 49, a Texas man accused of leading an early wave of rioters up a stairway outside the Capitol, carrying a pistol on his hip as he did so and later threatening to shoot his children if they reported him to the FBI. The case is expected to go to the jury early Tuesday.

Attorney William Welch, who has mounted an unusually minimalist defense for Reffitt during the trial, took a similarly unconventional tack in his closing statement. He bluntly told jurors that Reffitt was guilty on Jan. 6 of the misdemeanor offense of crossing a police line set up for the visit of a Secret Service protectee. However, the defense lawyer said his client was not guilty of the felony charge of doing so while armed, nor of four other felony charges he faces.

Jury convicts Guy Reffitt, first Jan. 6 Capitol riot defendant to stand trial

A federal jury on Tuesday convicted the first person to stand trial on charges related to the Jan. 6, 2021, storming of the U.S. Capitol by a mob of supporters of then-President Donald Trump.

The defendant, Texas resident Guy Reffitt, was convicted of all five charges he faced in U.S. District Court in Washington, D.C.

Jurors had deliberated for less than four hours before delivering their guilty verdicts on the two counts of civil disorder, and a single count each of obstruction of an official proceeding, entering restricted grounds with a firearm, and obstruction of justice.

“I don’t care if [House Speaker Nancy] Pelosi’s head is hitting every stair as I drag her by her ankles, she is coming out,” Reffitt, 49, said in statements introduced as evidence by prosecutors at trial, where the defendant’s own son testified against him.

Reffitt, who was one of more than 750 people charged in the attack, is scheduled to be sentenced on June 8 by Judge Dabney Friedrich.

• Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 4

1 hour ago, China said:

A federal jury on Tuesday convicted the first person to stand trial on charges related to the Jan. 6, 2021, storming of the U.S. Capitol by a mob of supporters of then-President Donald Trump.

Maybe it's just me but sure seems like they should take pleas.

Edited by Cooked Crack
  • Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Cooked Crack said:

Maybe it's just me but sure seems like they should take pleas.

3 hours ago, Captain Wiggles said:

I feel the opposite. Just because I think they'll get longer prison sentences if convicted in a trial.

They should take pleas, in their own self interest.  But we've already seen (especially with the ones that want to represent themselves) that these people ain't too bright...which is one of the reasons they were so easily mislead and manipulated with the Big Lie to end up attacking the Capitol in the first place.  

I'm with @Captain Wiggles though, I'm perfectly happy for them to continue to be stupid and net longer sentences.

• Thumb up 7

9 minutes ago, Larry said:

Gee. I just assumed she'd been pocketing it. 

Powell is going to lose her $1.3 billion and counting lawsuits, she better save that money for herself because she's also going to lose her law license in probably every state she has one including Texas.

Edited by LadySkinsFan
  • Thanks 1