Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Trump Riot Aftermath (Oath Keepers founder Stewart Rhodes found guilty of seditious conspiracy. Proud Boys join the club)

Cooked Crack

10 hours ago, China said:

Eventually they will need to send referrals to the DOJ.  And so far the DOJ hasn't done much.  We're more than 50 days out from the referral for Mark Meadows, and he still hasn't been indicted.  I'm not very sanguine about how the DOJ has been handling things.  I'd like to see a little more aggressive stance from them.

Me too in a big way, but- Could it be assumed that DOJ is actually busy behind the scenes and simply waiting for the J6 commission to officially send their referrals? I mean, what can they overtly do until the process has been properly followed?

• Thumb up 1

The news comes in dribs and drabs, and Trump's countless outrages of the last 6 or 7 years kind of blend together, leaving us in a stupefying numbness.  But the House Committee's 68 page court filing is a clear, eye-opening indictment of his most damaging and unforgivable outrage of all - trying to subvert U.S. democracy.  History will damn him even if the courts don't.

• Like 4

January 6 committee subpoenas Kimberly Guilfoyle, Donald Trump Jr.'s fiancée who worked on his father's campaign

The House select committee investigating the January 6 Capitol Hill riot has issued a subpoena for Kimberly Guilfoyle, a former Donald Trump campaign aide and the fiancée of Donald Trump Jr., the son of the former President.

Guilfoyle's subpoena comes after an ill-fated attempt by the committee to get her to cooperate voluntarily. Guilfoyle appeared via video conference for a deposition on February 25 but abruptly ended the proceedings because she was unhappy that members of the committee were participating in the deposition.

In a statement, Guilfoyle's attorney claimed that the committee had violated the terms of her agreement to appear by allowing committee members to be a part of the session and by leaking news of the interview to the media.

The committee responded that they had made no such arrangement and denied informing the media of her appearance. They also made clear that they were going to take steps to compel her cooperation. A promise they made good on by issuing the subpoena on Thursday.

"Because Ms. Guilfoyle backed out of her original commitment to provide a voluntary interview, we are issuing today's subpoena that will compel her to testify. We expect her to comply with the law and cooperate," Committee Chairman Bennie Thompson, a Mississippi Democrat, said in a statement.

Click on the link for the full article

• Thumb up 1

A former Trump deputy press secretary is set to meet with the Jan. 6 committee behind closed doors.

Another witness: Former Trump White House spokesperson Judd Deere is set to meet behind closed doors Thursday morning with the Jan. 6 committee, according to a person familiar with the situation.

The backstory: Deere, who was a deputy press secretary in the Trump White House, received a subpoena for documents and testimony from the panel at the end of January. Unlike many of the panel’s other summonses, Deere’s was not announced publicly.

Deere, according to a book by the Wall Street Journal's Michael Bender, had taken part in a Jan. 5, 2021, meeting with then-President Donald Trump and social media manager Dan Scavino. At that meeting Trump had reportedly discussed the next day’s rally with his aides. Congressional investigators had previously asked the National Archives to produce White House communications on Jan. 6 related to Deere, as well as other aides and Trump allies.

• Thumb up 1

‘I Feel Betrayed’: Woman Sentenced for Jan. 6 Breach Claims She Was ‘Promised’ White House Job, Gets Jail Time Instead

A Pennsylvania woman convicted of breaching a “sensitive space” of the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6 told a sentencing judge on Wednesday that people close to former President Donald Trump “promised” her a White House job. Instead, she received a jail sentence that she fears could lose her custody of her kid.

Annie Howell, 31, recorded at least five videos that day, including one of her in a ransacked conference room in what prosecutors described as a “sensitive space” inside the Capitol building. According to prosecutors, she can be heard leading a chant of “Whose house? Our house!” She also recorded multiple videos of law enforcement being attacked by the violent mob of Donald Trump supporters who stormed the building in an effort to stop Congress from certifying Joe Biden‘s win in the 2020 presidential election.

At her sentencing hearing Wednesday, Howell said that she had been told by GOP officials that she would be rewarded for her dedication to keeping Trump in office.

“I feel betrayed by the former president,” she said during the hearing. “I was promised things by people that were close to him, such as a job in the White House.”

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Larry said:

I feel terrible for her.  She's obviously a victim, here.  I mean, she only participated in an attempt to overthrow the government because she was told that she would be rewarded for it.  

...with a government job...for overthrowing the government...can't make this up.

Also, notice how she didn't say she was wrong or apologize, she was promised a job. That isn't a defense, you moron.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Simmsy said:

...with a government job...for overthrowing the government...can't make this up.

Also, notice how she didn't say she was wrong or apologize, she was promised a job. That isn't a defense, you moron.

Actually, part of me was expecting the line "Your Honor, prosecution would like to add the additional change of conspiracy to the charges."  

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Simmsy said:

If you read the whole story she pretty much does and talks about how she's changed.

"Before issuing his sentence, Hogan gave Howell the chance to speak on her own behalf. She told him that she was “embarrassed and ashamed” and that she is not the same person who cheered in support of rioters who were repeatedly assaulting law enforcement.

“I can’t express more how different I am today,” she told Hogan, citing the fact that she has watched movies like “Schindler’s List” and read books about “oppression and bigotry and racism”—a pre-sentencing tactic that Shaner has apparently employed with other Jan. 6 defendants."

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, China said:

‘I Feel Betrayed’: Woman Sentenced for Jan. 6 Breach Claims She Was ‘Promised’ White House Job, Gets Jail Time Instead

A Pennsylvania woman convicted of breaching a “sensitive space” of the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6 told a sentencing judge on Wednesday that people close to former President Donald Trump “promised” her a White House job. Instead, she received a jail sentence that she fears could lose her custody of her kid.

Annie Howell, 31, recorded at least five videos that day, including one of her in a ransacked conference room in what prosecutors described as a “sensitive space” inside the Capitol building. According to prosecutors, she can be heard leading a chant of “Whose house? Our house!” She also recorded multiple videos of law enforcement being attacked by the violent mob of Donald Trump supporters who stormed the building in an effort to stop Congress from certifying Joe Biden‘s win in the 2020 presidential election.

At her sentencing hearing Wednesday, Howell said that she had been told by GOP officials that she would be rewarded for her dedication to keeping Trump in office.

“I feel betrayed by the former president,” she said during the hearing. “I was promised things by people that were close to him, such as a job in the White House.”

“Whose house?  Our house” will be a great welcoming chant when she goes to the slammer.

• Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, PeterMP said:

If you read the whole story she pretty much does and talks about how she's changed.

"Before issuing his sentence, Hogan gave Howell the chance to speak on her own behalf. She told him that she was “embarrassed and ashamed” and that she is not the same person who cheered in support of rioters who were repeatedly assaulting law enforcement.

“I can’t express more how different I am today,” she told Hogan, citing the fact that she has watched movies like “Schindler’s List” and read books about “oppression and bigotry and racism”—a pre-sentencing tactic that Shaner has apparently employed with other Jan. 6 defendants."

Stock answer for all these insurrectionists until they walk out of the court house and go right back to simping Trump.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, PeterMP said:

Fuuuuuuck her.

"I watched Schindler's List and now I'm a changed person." 

What bull****.  

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, PeterMP said:

Damn, now I have to apologize to her. I don't believe that apology, but I'll give her the benefit of the doubt. However, if this turns out to be a fake apology...you owe me some mozzarella sticks.

5 hours ago, PeterMP said:

Bull****. She’s just saying that to get a lighter sentence.

2 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Bull****. She’s just saying that to get a lighter sentence.

I didn't say it was a sincere apology or that she meant it.  I don't know that one way or another.

But factually, it does sound like she was apologetic.

It is completely possible that she isn't really apologetic and just did it because she thought it would help with the sentencing.  But she appears to have at least recognized that being apologetic is a good idea and did it.

"If I do this, what do I have to lose?": New documents show Trump feared no consequences for a coup

There is one simple reason why Donald Trump orchestrated his coup — one which led to a violent insurrection on January 6, 2021: He didn't think he'd ever face consequences for doing so. 

A document filed by the January 6 committee with a California federal court on Wednesday confirmed it. The document is filed on a narrow question about obtaining documents from likely Trump co-conspirator John Eastman, who is claiming attorney-client privilege. But that privilege doesn't give lawyers the right to conspire to commit crimes with their clients, which is exactly what the committee alleges Eastman and Trump were doing.

"The Select Committee also has a good-faith basis for concluding that the President and members of his Campaign engaged in a criminal conspiracy to defraud the United States."

Late Thursday, the New York Times published an analysis of the evidence for this claim presented in the filing, and unsurprisingly, it's damning and extensive. Through multiple witnesses and documents, the Times shows that Trump was repeatedly informed that his election loss was real. It also shows that Trump's claims of "fraud" were based on nothing. When advisors shot down his conspiracy theories, he just kept making up new ones. This is not the behavior of someone who has sincere reason to believe that an election was fraudulent. This is a person perpetuating a lie and trying to falsify evidence to support it. 

But the most chilling detail in the New York Times breakdown is what former Justice Department official Richard Donoghue described as Trump's rationale for attempting to overthrow democracy. "The president said something to the effect of: 'What do I have to lose?'"

"'If I do this, what do I have to lose?'" Donoghue told the committee Trump asked.

• Like 1
  • Thumb down 1

Teen testifies about ‘surreal’ experience tipping off FBI about his dad before Jan. 6 riot

A teenager who tipped off the FBI about his father before the Jan. 6 riot and then gathered evidence after the attack on the U.S. Capitol testified Thursday that he was "nervous and paranoid" about his dad's demeanor when he decided to contact federal authorities.

Jackson Reffitt, 19, the son of Jan. 6 defendant Guy Reffitt, told jurors in the second day of testimony in his father’s trial that he was in his room at the family's home in Texas and Googled "FBI tip" on his phone after his father talked about plans to go to Washington, D.C., on Jan. 6, 2021.

"I didn’t know what I was doing. I just felt gross. I don’t think I can explain it. I just felt uncomfortable,” Jackson Reffitt told the court about his decision to tip off the FBI on Christmas Eve. He said he decided to “shut off my day” by watching TV on Christmas and getting on his phone so he wouldn't dwell on the matter.

• Sad 1

The Roger Stone Tapes

As a mob ransacked the Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021, Roger Stone, Donald Trump’s longest-serving political adviser, hurried to pack a suitcase inside his elegant suite on the fifth floor of the Willard hotel. He wrapped his tailored suits in trash bags, reversed his black face mask so its “Free Roger Stone” logo was hidden, then slipped out of town for a hastily arranged private flight from Dulles International Airport.

“I really want to get out of here,” Stone told an aide, as they were filmed at the hotel by a Danish camera crew for a documentary on the veteran Republican operative. Stone said he feared prosecution by the incoming attorney general, Merrick Garland. “He is not a friend,” Stone said.

Stone allowed the filmmakers to document his activities during extended periods over more than two years. In addition to interviews and moments when Stone spoke directly to the camera, they also captured fly-on-the-wall footage of his actions, candid off-camera conversations from a microphone he wore and views of his iPhone screen as he messaged associates on an encrypted app. Reporters from The Washington Post reviewed more than 20 hours of video filmed for the documentary, “A Storm Foretold,” which is expected to be released later this year.

The footage, along with other reporting by The Post, provides the most comprehensive account to date of Stone’s involvement in the former president’s effort to overturn the election and in the rallies in Washington that spilled over into violence on Jan. 6.

Stone privately coordinated post-election protests with prominent figures, and in January he communicated by text message with leaders of far-right groups that had been involved in the attack on the Capitol, the footage shows. The filmmakers did not capture conversations between Stone and Trump, but on several occasions, Stone told them or his associates that he remained in contact with the president.

Stone has refused to give testimony and evidence to the House committee investigating the Jan. 6 attack, citing his rights under the Fifth Amendment. Last week, he sued members of the panel to try to block them from using a subpoena to obtain his telephone records.

Click on the link for more

• Thumb up 1