Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Trump Riot Aftermath (Oath Keepers founder Stewart Rhodes found guilty of seditious conspiracy. Proud Boys join the club)

Cooked Crack

1 hour ago, FLSkinz83 said:

Just so I'm clear on things.....California was doing great and then Arnie took over and it went downhill, but Brown and Newsom came along to restore it?

Tl:dr yes.

Longer explanation, there is a lot of nuance. Arnie came to power because Gray Davis was recalled due to the fake enron power blackouts. Arnie then failed mainly because GOP policies at the state level generally are poorly received by both the public and the people asked to enact them. Arnie made the public sector his enemy, and like all leaders with a workforce that now despises him, he failed because of it. Arnie also very early on blew a $4 bil hole in the state budget by eliminating the car tax and not making it up with something else. Not ironically, he embraced the no tax but always spend GOP philosophy of the late 90s early 00s and surprise surprise he had budget holes all over the place. That said, one of the best things to happen at the end of Arnie's rule (and because of Arnie's ****ty run as governor) was Prop 25. It shifted the required 66% of the state legislature to approve a new state budget to just majority approval. 

It probably should be stated again that I'm a state insider with some unique access to state workings. As a public servant I'm exposed to a lot of this stuff and literally sat next door to the Capitol for 15+ years and had meetings with high level state executives. So I do know a little about what I am talking about. Ot at least enough to be dangerous. 😁

Back on topic....

😆

Edited by The Evil Genius
Typos typos and more typos
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

I'm with you, but slippery part is he was in a position to declassify the documents so it might be difficult to prosecute, unfortunately. 

This isn’t aimed directly at you, but I don’t see the argument here. It’s not like the POTUS can just declare something declassified (a la Michael Scott) and the documents can be released. There would need to be a ton of agreement from various stakeholders and accompanying signatures for something like this.

The declassification of sensitive documents is one of those things where a ton of bureaucracy makes sense. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, spjunkies said:

Question, can someone be president if they can't get a top secret clearance?

my understanding is they get one by virtue of being president 

they aren’t subjected to what the rest of us are

• Like 1

1 minute ago, spjunkies said:

Question, can someone be president if they can't get a top secret clearance?

I would have said “no” prior to 2016 but then they gave Trump and his family a clearance anyway so I guess it doesn’t really matter. No way anyone of us would have been granted a clearance with all of those skeletons in our closet.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Heisenberg said:

It’s not like the POTUS can just declare something declassified (a la Michael Scott) and the documents can be released

actually, with a few exceptions, yes he can..

First, let’s focus on the absolute portion of near-absolute power. The 1988 Supreme Court case Navy v. Egan confirmed that classification authority flows from the president except in specific instances separated from his powers by law. And here is where things get theological: A president can make most documents classified or declassified simply by willing them so.  

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2022/08/trump-fbi-raid-classified-nuclear-documents/671119/

now nuke stuff is one of the few exceptions, but my point is that beyond those exceptions yes the president can declassify things as he sees fit. 

4 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Also i thought i read that some of the alleged documents cannot be declassified. 

There are exceptions to what the president can declassify. 

spies and aspects of nuclear secrets are part of those exceptions 

the link I just posted goes into it. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

I'm with you, but slippery part is he was in a position to declassify the documents so it might be difficult to prosecute, unfortunately. 

11 minutes ago, Heisenberg said:

This isn’t aimed directly at you, but I don’t see the argument here. It’s not like the POTUS can just declare something declassified (a la Michael Scott) and the documents can be released. There would need to be a ton of agreement from various stakeholders and accompanying signatures for something like this.

The declassification of sensitive documents is one of those things where a ton of bureaucracy makes sense. 

9 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Also i thought i read that some of the alleged documents cannot be declassified. 

Reposting this as it seems relevant:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, gbear said:

I guess the "I declassified everything" defense is off the table then.

But only in a legitimate court. 

and I hate to break it to everyone the court of public opinion may have more sway in this matter. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Heisenberg said:

It’s not like the POTUS can just declare something declassified (a la Michael Scott) and the documents can be released. There would need to be a ton of agreement from various stakeholders and accompanying signatures for something like this.

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Forehead said:

Even if he had declared them declassified, he can't just announce that into the air?  I'd think there would have to be a paper trail showing he had done so, for that defense to hold any water at all.

I guess that was my point. I’d have to imagine there would need to be signatures and what not to verify.