Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Biden/Harris Legislative/Policy Discussions - Now with a Republican House starting 2023

goskins10

I live in New Mexico and here is our registration requirements:

If you are registering for the first time in New Mexico, and you submit the registration form by mail, then you must submit with the form a copy of (1) a current and valid photo identification; or (2) a current utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck, student identification card or other government document, including identification issued by an Indian nation, tribe or pueblo that shows your name and current address. If you do not submit one of these forms of identification with your mailed-in, first time registration, then you would be required to present one of the forms of identification when voting in person or absentee

It varies from state to state tho.

11 minutes ago, redskinss said:

I registered to vote at the r.m.v so obviously they have my identification. 

I'm curious if you don't have any identification, what is required to register to vote?

It depends on the state, but for example, VA allows people to vote by proving ID via utility bills, bank statements, or even sworn affidavits.  This was the situation until 2012 when McDonnell signed the photo ID law, but that recently got repealed, so we're back to the pre2012 situation.

1 hour ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

On Voters Rights...I'd love to hear people's take on a voter ID process. I understand that some are anti because it's believed to suppress voters, but if it's made simple to apply for and get, wouldn't it help ensure integrity? Not only that, but it also REMOVES the fraud talking point. 

One problem I have here is the idea of addressing the “talking point” to begin with.  Should we take action to try prove Dems and Hollywood are not engaged in a massive, blood-drinking pedo cult?  I mean, it’s a talking point with about the same amount of evidence...

The problem is not fraud, disproving fraud, or ID issues (though this is a major issue), the problem is the people that further the “talking point”.  Particularly elected officials.  

With all of that said, without a way to get people (again, particularly elected officials to tell (and accept) the truth, it makes sense to address it.  I just don’t see a way to do so without disenfranchising a fairly significant portion of the population.  

From a broader perspective, to me the problem comes down to Republicans convincing the general population of perceived problems in order to retain power (or to keep certain people down.  Whether it’s making weak claims about “Welfare Queens”, voter fraud, pretending they alone care about law and order, the armed forces, religion, the debt, the Constitution or that they alone are Patriots... it’s all been BS.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

One problem I have here is the idea of addressing the “talking point” to begin with.  Should we take action to try prove Dems and Hollywood are not engaged in a massive, blood-drinking pedo cult?  I mean, it’s a talking point with about the same amount of evidence...

The State of, I think it was NC?, asked the Secretary of State to prepare for the legislature, a list of which forms of ID would result in the highest number of black registered voters who didn't have that form of ID.  And then legislated to require exactly that list.  

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Larry said:

The State of, I think it was NC?, asked the Secretary of State to prepare for the legislature, a list of which forms of ID would result in the highest number of black registered voters who didn't have that form of ID.  And then legislated to require exactly that list.  

That sounds about right, and therein lies the problem - they’ll just keep pushing the goalposts or legislating to make things harder for ‘certain’ people to vote/get IDs (see abortion).  

We’ve already seen the absurdity of signature matches and the automated parsing of registered voters... 

• Sad 1

I am sort of interested to see how the GOP as a minority party handles the upcoming legislation that is popular among Americans.  Stuff like Covid relief, the 2k checks, minimum wage hikes etc etc......I see it going one of two ways, either they just stick to stonewalling everything as much as they can to out "against everything the left wants" each other, or will they vote for some of the stuff, knowing it would pass without their support anyway so that they can claim they compromised and reached across the aisle.

1 minute ago, NoCalMike said:

I am sort of interested to see how the GOP as a minority party handles the upcoming legislation that is popular among Americans.  Stuff like Covid relief, the 2k checks, minimum wage hikes etc etc......I see it going one of two ways, either they just stick to stonewalling everything as much as they can to out "against everything the left wants" each other, or will they vote for some of the stuff, knowing it would pass without their support anyway so that they can claim they compromised and reached across the aisle.

How many members of Congress do you figure can do anything bipartisan, and not get primaried out of a job?

2 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

According to all their bull**** today, all they want to do is work on these problems. 

Just now, Larry said:

How many members of Congress do you figure can do anything bipartisan, and not get primaried out of a job?

For Military spending and general spending bills, a lot. They just did. 

If Biden is there for what we all suspect, 1 term "right the ship" mission, then one thing I hope happens is some kind of committee or faction of lawmakers that are going to comb over every loose end and weakly worded worded law, rule, "tradition" that Trump was able to ignore, go around, exploit etc etc....and find ways to tighten those things up as much as possible over the next 4 years because the monsters waiting to get into the White House next won't forget what Trump was able to get away with and also realize Trump did just as much damage to himself with the public with how he went about it.  They will attempt the same kinds of things but approach it in a much more politically savvy way. Trump merely unlocked and creaked the door open.  The next one is going to kick it down and storm through.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

We need many of Biden's legislative policies. 

But we still need the filibuster.  Do people not realize how bad Trump Presidency would be if there was no filibuster? No ACA.  His "America First" immigration policy.  On and on and on... 

The question is finding 10 GOP Senators who are willing to put country over party like they should.  

1 hour ago, Fergasun said:

We need many of Biden's legislative policies. 

But we still need the filibuster.  Do people not realize how bad Trump Presidency would be if there was no filibuster? No ACA.  His "America First" immigration policy.  On and on and on... 

The question is finding 10 GOP Senators who are willing to put country over party like they should.  

While I understand your point - they did use reconciliation for the ACA and it failed 51-49 on John McCain's vote. It's also how they got the tax cut for the rich through. They only needed a simple majority. I expect the Dems are working on the same thing for some of the more aggressive agenda items. 

We will see what they really want to get through.