Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Biden/Harris Legislative/Policy Discussions - Now with a Republican House starting 2023

goskins10

4 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

My apologies then. I have never heard terf being labeled a slur.

Acronym yes, slur no. Edit..does this mean homophobe is a slur too? 😕

I'd be curious if you (and really anyone else) have the same position on females who want to/or do transition male. 

I learned a long time ago to not even bother speaking with @LadySkinsFan regarding trans people.  When it comes to this subject, she is a bigot in my opinion.

Her comment regarding TERF made me go do some research though.  Let’s just say that calling the term “TERF” as slur is........debatable.  Here is a quote I came across that I think describes the popular opinion and those who have another opinion:

While some people who are called a TERF say the word is derogatory, LGBTQ advocates say those who hold such views deny transgender people their full humanity and go against what the medical community today has accepted as scientific fact around gender and sex.

Ryan W. Miller and Hannah Yasharoff, USA Today, June 9, 2020

• Like 2

Filibuster Schmilibuster.  Havingt the filibuster blocked all of Trump's agenda, including "America First" immigration policy.  The issue is not the filibuster, it's that Senators are blocking American progress on policy for party/electoral reasons. 

I understand why a Representative would give up their legislative prerogitive.  There's an election every two years.  But a Senator?  You are there for greatness at moving the country forward.  You are there to solve the big problems of America.  That's why you have two free election cycles. 

I just saw Marco Rubio is against immigration reform that Biden is proposing.  Why?  You were willing to deal in 2013.  But you got beat up in 2015 primaries over it because you couldn't defend it?  So go hide somewhere.  He didn't even give it a tepid resposne... that is garbage for a US Senator. 

These Senators are all willing to cede their power to McConnell.  I get not giving Biden or Trump everything in immigration, the GOP didn't even pretend to and Trump didn't even try to negotiate for a wall.  The same could be said of Dem Senators with Trump. 

Letting immigration reform pass just screws over more and more people without status, and all the Senators and Reps know it.  At some point the Senators need to stop punting on the issues.  

The Senate and Senators need to do their damn job.  And its not to put party over country.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

8 hours ago, Fergasun said:

Filibuster Schmilibuster.  Havingt the filibuster blocked all of Trump's agenda, including "America First" immigration policy.  The issue is not the filibuster, it's that Senators are blocking American progress on policy for party/electoral reasons.

the presidency is an appropriate veto check on a senate w/o a filibuster. 

im prepared to live with the consequences of a potential GOP trifecta one day w/o filibuster if that risk is literally the only chance we have of moving this country forward, balancing the inequities that have amassed over a century, and brining help to the American people 

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

the presidency is an appropriate veto check on a senate w/o a filibuster. 

im prepared to live with the consequences of a potential GOP trifecta one day w/o filibuster if that risk is literally the only chance we have of moving this country forward, balancing the inequities that have amassed over a century, and brining help to the American people 

Agreed. Blow that **** up. **** McConnell and the GOP leadership. They already showed their hand within 24 hours. They are going to complain and block everything they can immediately. You have to push through as much as you can right now. Biden also needs to get on making election day a national holiday AND voter suppression a federal crime. You know the GOP will take it through the Courts, so you need to use cloture to add PR and DC as States ASAP. Flood the entire country (including the Red States) with COVID Relief and better healthcare options. Seize the ****ing Day.

• Like 7

19 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

As I read it yesterday, Democrats need to pass everything on their wish list now. Make it so that thre GOP has to take away things from the masses later on. 

That's it exactly. Get it through so people like it and then make the Rep play take away. Good luck with that. 

15 minutes ago, DCranon21 said:

Article about the income gap about Black Americans and the economy. I think Biden can do more set asides with an infrastructure bill. I do not envy Joe's job for the next 4 years. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2021/01/22/black-voters-biden-trump-economy/

Do you have this is non-pay site? If not, no worries. Just asking. 

16 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

Is this a rampant problem or are we talking about less than a handful of cases?

And, as an aside, where do I get to **** about the pituitary freaks in HS who dominated basketball and other sports when 5'9" 135lb me had no chance? 😁

But do we only discuss things if it's rampant? To me it's more about the precedent. Today it's 4 cases and it's something relatively insignificant like a track and field race. But, eventually the blurring of lines or blending of genders is something we need to address. Should I be OK if my teenage daughter needs to shower after track practice with her two trans teammates? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

But do we only discuss things if it's rampant? To me it's more about the precedent. Today it's 4 cases and it's something relatively insignificant like a track and field race. But, eventually the blurring of lines or blending of genders is something we need to address. Should I be OK if my teenage daughter needs to shower after track practice with her two trans teammates? 

You clearly have some passion for this topic - which is great. There is enough here it could have it's own thread. Maybe you could start one and lay out your argument. 

• Like 2

Image may contain: 4 people, people standing

And that can be racial, or gender-based or social or economic....... there is this great divide in the world between people that fear, that have become addicted to the fear, and those that don't and don't get it

We will always have differences and debates and discussions, and that's a good thing, but the fear? Nawww, read some ****ty reviews, I'm not buying it

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I said previously, I feel like the details - showering, bathrooms, competition, etc - should probably be handled by localities.  Maybe I’m missing something though?

Personally, I appreciate our gov’t trying make sure this group (and all groups) are not faced with discrimination and have equal protections.  I do want to see concerns addressed though (again, not necessarily on a national level - I’m not sure it’s their job).

This post does brings up some questions - should your daughter have to shower with her two lesbian teammates?  Should your gay son have to shower with his straight male teammates?  Should your trans son have to shower with his straight male teammates?  Interesting dilemmas, particularly when you add in the idea of some people not being “out”...

Also interesting (to me at least), when we focus so much on the what about me?! side of things, I have to wonder what message we’re sending to our kids.  Are they more likely to turn around and treat people who are different from them... differently?  This isn’t directed at you, BTW - this is a discussion on a msg board - I’m talking about the national discourse.  I feel like those concerned about these things (they are legit concerns, IMO), should also talk about the other side of things - expressing a desire to address the concerns of those different from them shows our kids that they should care about those that are different (even as we’re trying to look out for our own).  That was poorly put, hopefully y’all can suss out what I’m getting at.

• Thanks 1

I’m hitting a big gray area for me here, so this will all sound a bit juvenile, but...

Random question - I’m wondering about the possibility of a law or amendment to a law saying something to the effect of “any preacher/priest/pastor pushing partisan politics will incur full taxation on their church/institution”.  It’s a subject far outside my area of knowledge, to be sure.

Also, if McConnell is blocking even the seating of committee members/leaders, at what point (if at all) does Biden come out and say if Mitch continues this way, he is in effect refusing to strive for unity and is solely focused on helping his party at the cost of the American people?  Does Mitch even care?  I mean, does he just rely on right wing messaging/media to convince the GOP base and to point at Biden and say “he lied about unity”?

Related to this, one of the options (in response to this tactic from Mitch) Sheldon Whitehouse talked about was members being forced to give up nights and weekends via filibustering and the idea that eventually members would get sick of it and complain to McConnell.  Seems like a slow and painful way to go about things...

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Related to this, one of the options (in response to this tactic from Mitch) Sheldon Whitehouse talked about was members being forced to give up nights and weekends via filibustering and the idea that eventually members would get sick of it and complain to McConnell.  Seems like a slow and painful way to go about things...

He also said, as I related earlier, that Schumer could bring bills and resolutions straight to the floor for a vote, putting Republicans' feet to the fire on Biden's efforts to bring the nation into recovery.

Democrats should do whatever they can to disrupt McConnell and the rest of the cabal.

• Like 3

Seems reasonable a boy wouldn’t choose to be trans just to get a leg up in sports. 
Also seems reasonable there will be someone(a) that do just that. 
seems reasonable you shouldn’t use that as a basis for deciding general policy. 

I don’t like generic males competing against genetic females in sports. If that wasn’t an issue we wouldn’t have segregated the sports in the first place. But anyone who’s played or paid attention to sports understands ignoring the generic differences is dumb. They’re clearly there. 

so what do you do? Accept this will disadvantage female atheletes when it happens? And justify that by saying it won’t happen much?

or look for a different solution?

as usual, I appreciate the progressives for finding and issue and bringing it to the table to discuss, but I don’t particularly agree with their specific solution. 

also lol at the rants about how trans people just want to be allowed to demand sex from lesbians :silly:

6 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

He also said, as I related earlier, that Schumer could bring bills and resolutions straight to the floor for a vote, putting Republicans' feet to the fire on Biden's efforts to bring the nation into recovery.

Democrats should do whatever they can to disrupt McConnell and the rest of the cabal.

This is what really needs to happen. Make republicans vote. This is what turtle **** has been protecting them from - going on record with a vote. He can then play the blame game without being held accountable. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2