Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Least Favorite Sportswriters

method man

I used to dislike Thom Loverro and Sally Jenkins growing up but have grown to appreciate them the older I've gotten.

JLC is tough to stand but he does deliver some rumors.

There are a bunch that are just wastes of space. Locally, Feinstein, Boswell and Reid are all arrogant wastes of space with idiotic opinions. Reid especially annoys me as a race baiter

Wetzel, Young and most of the Yahoo Sports writers suck as well.

Who are yours?

1 hour ago, method man said:

used to dislike Thom Loverro and Sally Jenkins growing up but have grown to appreciate them the older I've gotten.

Same

although I think lovero’s writing style is hot garbage. I honestly don’t even know how that passes as appropriate writing for a newspaper or how he ever gets hired. 

but in terms of what he thinks and his ideas I like them. I like Jenkins ability to go after someone that really needs to be gone after. 

I could do without her going over the top when it’s clearly unnecessary. She gets ahead of herself sometimes and at best becomes a bully; often it’s just boring and predictable. But otherwise I like her. 

I really like Liz Clarke. When you catch her in other venues she is never afraid to share her opinions honestly. And her opinions come from a political world view that, while it has merit and she’s not wrong or insane, make me roll my eyes often. But, she has a track record and a reputation of journalistic integrity that, when I read an article with her name in the byline, I am confident I am reading something that adheres to strong journalistic principals. And I like that. 

i like what Dan Strindberg does. Not a fan of the contributors so much, but I am of him personally. I get he does a blog now but that’s more a function of times and him trying to be more relevant at a newspaper with how everything changed with the internet. He has provided countless entertaining reading material to me during a time where being an entertaining sports writer for DC teams has been tough. 

David Aldridge is awesome. I believe he writes for the athletic now? I’ve only read a few pieces cause it’s subscription only but my understanding is they put out quality stuff. 

loved reading Kornheiser when he wrote.

I have not one nice thing to say about Wilbon. 

Wilbon hate, really?  I grew up with the Sports page of WP and breakfast.  Maybe its because I don't read them anymore (Wilbon and TK) that I like them. 

Aldridge has always been awesome as a writer.  I think it has been decades and good to see him advance from the Wizards beat. 

The way I feel is that as I get older, I have less hate for most people and that includes sportswriters.  I used to hate Peter King, but now... not so much.  I also read much less of local columnists.  

Sports writers tend to blend now with other sports media and AM radio.  I think the one guy everyone hates and always will is Skip Bayless.  But honestly it's not their writing or individual takes but that it seems like there is no shame in him being wrong. 

7 hours ago, method man said:

There are a bunch that are just wastes of space. Locally, Feinstein, Boswell and Reid are all arrogant wastes of space with idiotic opinions. Reid especially annoys me as a race baiter

IMHO Boswell is one of the best baseball writers in America.

2 minutes ago, Rocky21 said:

IMHO Boswell is one of the best baseball writers in America.

He has good stuff but is super susceptible to over the top homerism. There are people who like it. I like it to a degree but I don’t like it. When it’s over the top...

my main issue with Wilbon is his opinions are dumb. He goes all out on them and winds up being wrong often. He also makes most of his opinions about what celebrity he was hanging out with at the time he formed his opinion. Just can’t think of a time I read or heard something from him and though “yeah wilbon is spot on here” he just always seems more about theatrics than quality opinions or reporting... I’m sure he was great when he was coming up, but once he “made it” he started becoming more clownish than journalist...

My opinion changed forever on Wilbon after his callous comments right after Sean Taylor was murdered in his own home by intruders.  

"I wasn't surprised in the least when I heard the news Monday morning that Sean Taylor had been shot in his home by an intruder.  I know how I feel about Taylor, and this latest news isn't surprising in the least, not to me. Whether this incident is or isn't random, Taylor grew up in a violent world, embraced it, claimed it, loved to run in it and refused to divorce himself from it" - Mike Wilbon

Imma rant now about Barstool and PFF and Defector. I don't know if they're considered sportswriters but they are the kings of clickbait "journalism". Is it even journalism or just hot take opinions? One PFF article said that the Dolphins should draft a QB at 3. Barstool is mostly bro **** and Defector is edgy clickbait complaining about sports while being politically woke. It's just a shame.

The best writers right now are on the athletic. If you aren't on the athletic, the free journalism options are slim and pretty bad (Keim is good as is Finlay)

Will agree with Sally Jenkins.  Her problem is that she decides up front which people are "bad" and which are "good" and then finds reasons to write columns that support her preconceived notions, rather than writing columns that are the end product of a reasoned analysis (which is what good opinion journalism is).  If new information emerges that challenges those notions, she doubles down on them.

Tom Brady and Lance Armstrong are in her "good" column, and so she's written dozens of articles and at least one book about how great those 2 are.  Then, when Deflategate or roids happen, she doesn't reconsider, she defends the hell out of them.  

In DeflateGate, who is the real cheater, Tom Brady or Roger Goodell?

Why I’m not angry at Lance Armstrong

She has, of course, decided that Dan Snyder goes into the "bad" column, which, way to ****ing nail that one, genius.  

I also can't stand Rick Reilly.  Rick Reilly is what happens when a Dad Joke becomes sentient and goes into sports writing.  How he got the back page of Sports Illustrated, at a time when SI still mattered, is beyond me.  

i used to not like Sally Jenkins, but it turns out she was 1000000000% right about Dan Snyder in every single criticism she had.

JLC can suck it. His still grinding axe he has with this team makes me roll my eyes at every rumor he comes up with concerning the WFT. He still reports from a position of extreme prejudice, and it seems to me he knows that the hive of morons that make up a lot of this fanbase will eat up every negative thing he writes, so he never HAS to be right. Just enough shadow to make him sound credible, and no meat backing up any of it.

With the way the internet is now, i don't "read" sportswriters like I used to. No need to reed 1000 words when much of the gist can be summed up in a tweet. if i need more, i can then follow the link.

i do have my favorites covering the team. John Keim is the best, Lake Lewis does a great job, and I like Ben Standig.

~Bang

12 hours ago, ixcuincle said:

Is Deadspin or those idiots at Defector an option? Drew Magary is pretty bad. The Jimmy Kepmski guy who ripped him off is terrible too. "WHY YOUR TEAM SUCKS" Does this go as proper sports writing these days?

All those guys suck. Didn't all the writers leave Deadspin?

14 hours ago, Riggo-toni said:

Pastabelly (is he dead yet?) and Peter "the 1990 Bills were one of the greatest SB era teams, but the 1991 Redskins were not ...and Art Monk isn't good enough for the HoF...oh wait, my buttbuddy Cris Carter can't get in?...ok I changed my mind..." Queen

See the source image

Archived