Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Election 2021

Cooked Crack

5 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Lessons from Virginia:

5.  This isn't exactly brand new, but actual policy seems to matter less and less with each passing election. 

Exactly.  Policies are out the window.  It's an all out culture war, another thing the Dems don't seem to understand.

12 minutes ago, Llevron said:

What do y’all think this says about democratic voters? I know how I feel about the Republican ones. Not much nuance there. 

What is happening in politics is the same thing happening in the workplace. A bunch of Baby Boomers who refuse to listen to what Millennials actually want and instead decide they know better. And a bunch of Millennials that refuse to consider that Boomer experience does have its place. 

11 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

The Dems love to think their ideas are so ****ing amazing.  And yet, their problem seems to be that a lot of people don't agree or they have a real hard time communicating why their ideas are so ****ing amazing.  Their haughtiness makes it hard to like them.

It’s what happens when politicians are more worried about Twitter followers than public service. 

• Like 2

The weirdest thing to me is that Youngkin was selling a false history.  I mean I lived in Maryland during Macauliff's term, but Virginia wasn't the flaming trash heap that Youngkin depicts. It wasn't a crime haven, murder capital, with awful education. And Virginians know this. They lived it. Most of them did.

I mean how do you believe a false narrative that you lived through and say, "You know, that guy's lying to me. Maybe we shouldn't trust him?"

• Thanks 2

The problem with the Democratic party is that there are a lot of bad characters in their ranks.  They will talk the talk when it comes time to campaigning, but once they are in office, they get in contact wit those buttering their bread and all of a sudden they start backing away from the actual policy that they campaigned on.   

Kristen Sinema was a straight up Bernie Bro when she ran for Senate in AZ and that is why she was even elected in the first place, but as soon as they money started rolling in she flipped so hard she might as well be doing tricks in the aquarium at Sea World. 

Most of the DNC's policy remains popular to this day, regardless of election results.  When polled on policy especially economic policy they routinely score higher with voters who aren't attaching a name/party to it.  The GOP fights that with fly by night culture war nonsense that no one even talks about once the election is over because it's all nonsense garbage meant for short-term turnout of voters.   You ever notice these things never make it to the next election cycle? It's because there is no lifecycle to made up outrage once the flame dims, it is gone and they need a new pretend issue to get people riled up over. 

If the Dems could actually pass 50% of the policy they campaign on, the GOP would be forced to move to the center as a party and push out their fringe elements besides a handful of counties. 

Edited by NoCalMike
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Destino said:

They’re awful at communicating **** because they love to talk too damn much.  Here’s how you sell government health care:  “Medicare for all is cheaper.  Republicans want you to die broke because they hate the poor.”  Repeat that a million times both during elections and not.  Never stop.  Every single time a poor person so much as stubs their toe in a red state scream that responsible for it, and no doubt clinking champagne glasses at the mere thought of it.  Not just poor black people, but poor people. 

What Democrats will do instead is say some dumb **** about having to work together. 

this is what I don’t understand. Republicans have no policy, no track record of success. They have 3 straight recessions, two unpopular 20 year wars, and multiple tax cuts for the wealthy. 

Dems should he dunking all over them left and right and have a massive coalition of educated, non-educated, working class, minority etc.  

it all comes down to messaging. A charismatic younger populist candidate would clean up against the current GOP, even more if they actually hit back and messaged this **** the obvious and clear way. These policies are popular, they have an audience, you just have to sell it. **** the stats and data and playing nice etc. find a catchphrase like you showed up for each issue and hit it repeatedly. Bernie is a terrible candidate but he found a movement because people like what he said, even many traditionally republicans. Trump won with populism. Find those guys and run them everywhere. Dems should have such a massive coalition being that they are the only ones that even pretend to care about working and middle class people. This should be easy 

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man

2 minutes ago, Springfield said:

So I’m gonna pay what, like $5 less on my $300 grocery bill?

You don't hate taxes the way many Republicans hate taxes, especially with inflation going up.  

Increase education funding while cutting taxes? Seems logical.

Thought I saw somewhere that education all the sudden became a top issue in Virginia.  Youngkin jumped on it, smart. Went right after parents directly.

This race was about culture and conservatives won.

I'm not going to say he ignored that, but he came with more then that and toed the line of a moderate while getting Trumps support.  Wolf in sheep's clothing, he didn't live and breath by the Trump firebrand playbook.  I dont know what other states did, but I didn't see that here, otherwise he would've lost suburban gop voters, he got them back.

1 minute ago, Burgold said:

The weirdest thing to me is that Youngkin was selling a false history.  I mean I lived in Maryland during Macauliff's term, but Virginia wasn't the flaming trash heap that Youngkin depicts. It wasn't a crime haven, murder capital, with awful education. And Virginians know this. They lived it. Most of them did.

I mean how do you believe a false narrative that you lived through and say, "You know, that guy's lying to me. Maybe we shouldn't trust him?"

But that's the b***** of it all, completely making up things is not a a detriment to your campaign anymore it seems. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Exactly.  Policies are out the window.  It's an all out culture war, another thing the Dems don't seem to understand.

Im old enough to remember when the rub on Dems was that it’s was only culture war from them. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

We needed more turn out from our own base and we ignored a huge chunk of it instead. Fail bus.

Issue being - no one can define or agree on who the Dem “base” currently is. 

21 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

How much do we think the issues the Biden admin is having with things like the Infrastructure Bill affected the VA Gov race?

I think an infrastructure bill would of had to have been passed, implemented, and folks feeling the benefits well before it could impact an election cycle. 

15 minutes ago, 86 Snyder said:

This gives me a little hope but, I dunno, feels like an ominous result.  We are in a much different landscape than ever before.

I was trying to lie to myself with this justification too. But I at least am willing to admit I was lying to myself. 

2 minutes ago, thegreaterbuzzette said:

I think an infrastructure bill would of had to have been passed, implemented, and folks feeling the benefits well before it could impact an election cycle.

I disagree.  I think the complete dysfunction of the Democrats trying to get this bill going hurt them.  The look of the party not being able to pass a bill, that they ran on, while they control both branches, makes them look totally inept.  That has gotta depress their voters. 

6 minutes ago, thegreaterbuzzette said:

Issue being - no one can define or agree on who the Dem “base” currently is.

Oh and I thought this was an excellent point.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

But that's the b***** of it all, completely making up things is not a a detriment to your campaign anymore it seems. 

You're absolutely correct and the reason is because every fabricated topic is supported in various places all over the internet and cable news.  Whatever dumb**** lie you want to believe can be justified based on the echo chamber of dum**** lies people injest on the regular.  Smartphones, social media, and the cultification of Fox News etc has peoples brains spinning to the point they cant recognize facts and lies when they get served up...and thats only going to get worse.  Republicans will stoop however low they need to time and time again.  And Democrats cant keep their own cats hearded together enough to accomplish anything meaningful in office so they never deliver the mail.  

8 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Are you suggesting Democrats don't know who votes for them anymore?

4 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Odd, back in January when Biden took office I thought people were saying the opposite. 

I think you both are confusing “base” with “moderates” and “centrists”. I think of base as the guaranteed die hards. This sect is shrinking. Dem Politicians seem to be picking single issues. No well rounded platform anymore. 

true blue democrats keep dismissing us never trump Republicans and Independents. We are literally writing Dems a playbook and we keep getting annoyed. 

even I am considering just sitting 2024 out. 

• Like 1

Just now, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

The democratic base is fractured.

More complex then the GOP, thats for sure, enough that when certain groups are ignored its enough to do damage to the turnout, like blacks. 

We've already established the progressives are not as big numbers wise as they talk, but they can't jus outright be ignored because of it. 

There are plenty of issues the dems can rally around, but when minor issues specific to minority groups get ignored.  In Terry's case I didn't see a single ad detailing his ad for criminal justice reform, we are a year removed from nationwide riots on that issue, why he barely touched it is beyond me and why hes a bad candidate.

47 minutes ago, Destino said:

They’re awful at communicating **** because they love to talk too damn much.  Here’s how you sell government health care:  “Medicare for all is cheaper.  Republicans want you to die broke because they hate the poor.”  Repeat that a million times both during elections and not.  Never stop.  Every single time a poor person so much as stubs their toe in a red state scream that responsible for it, and no doubt clinking champagne glasses at the mere thought of it.  Not just poor black people, but poor people. 

What Democrats will do instead is say some dumb **** about having to work together. 

Not sure if that works when inflation is raging and gas is $4 per gallon. 

1 hour ago, Cooked Crack said:

Hmmm why does this seem so familiar? 🤔 

Edited by ddub52