Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Heinicke Hive: The LEGEND of Taylor Heinicke Thread

LetThePointsSoar
Message added by TK,

image.png.76d3d6bba631c4c9e8442f26a9c9afc4.png

19 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Taylor has the audacity to never take responsibility. He hasn’t earned the right to be this delusional.

Yeah ..to me, that's a super-obvious post-game where you have to put it on your shoulders as the leader of the offense who didn't get it done. Quite obtuse. 

5 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

The point is we haven’t seen a “bad” defense figure him out. We’ll see what today shows us.

1 hour ago, D’Pablo said:

Taylor has been figured out. We’re screwed.

Oh, have they ever.

38 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Not sure what you guys expect him to say.

”My arm is weak so I need room to fully step and torque into every throw and that doesn’t happen often in this league.  I kind of just spray the ball around too much and I’m off on the shots we do take.”

Said no QB ever.

First off, stop saying “we”. He’s the captain of the ship so blaming the cooks for steering into an iceberg is pointless. I don’t even care if he gives bs cliches about being a better leader.

I don't have issues with Heinicke's postgame comments but I'll say this is the 2nd week in a row he's saying in the post game he's pissed and angry suggesting it will fuel him next week.

As JP Finlay said on the postgame show, Heinicke has played poorly in 3 of the last 4 games.  I agree with him.  Not that i am writing him off based on that but i'll just saying thus far the sample size increasing hasn't been his friend.

He's about to play against his dad's and his boyhood favorite team.  I presume he's jazzed about it.  Let's see what he does.   I am not ready for Kyle Allen yet.  But I am backing off Fitz sitting on the bench if he comes back.  To me that's TBD. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

A lot of QB’s say “we” win, lose or draw, no matter who is at fault.

I know they're just handpicked comments, but everything he said was absolvement. Even the second part, where he's claiming whether its penalties, being behind the sticks or the defense making a good play, the offense couldn't get going. Basically what I got was, I did my part, everyone else was messing up.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I’ve been mostly positive on Heinicke while thinking we still need a franchise QB. Love his personality but I am feeling firmer that he’s a backup not a starter but I’ll let it play out some more 

I agree, he is not a starter..too many limitations. From where Heinicke started, being considered a solid backup is very impressive. If Chase Daniels can hang around the league, I'm sure there is a rester spot for Heincke somewhere. 

2 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

As bad as Heinicke has been these last few weeks, we all know Fitzpatrick would get murdered behind this OL anyways. It would be a big mistake not to get a franchise QB this offseason. 

Our Oline has been our best unit, especially if you remove week one.

They have been highly ranked week in and week out.

The only reason TH has had to use his mobility is due to holding the ball beyond 3.5 secs.

If Fitz understands the O, this line is as good as any to keep him healthy.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Our Oline has been our best unit, especially if you remove week one.

They have been highly ranked week in and week out.

The only reason TH has had to use his mobility is due to holding the ball beyond 3.5 secs.

If Fitz understands the O, this line is as good as any to keep him healthy.

We'll see, I think Heinicke masks a lot of the pass protecting deficiencies. I'd be willing to bet the OL looks much worse with Fitzpatrick back there. Teams will be able to blitz us more because they won't have to worry about Heincike's scrambling ability. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Like 1

Feel for him, seems he must be reckless with his running and decision making to assist with managing below average tools. The dude that sits in the pocket and tries to carve up defenses will not work as a starter. Maybe he’s preserving his place in the league, which I don’t at all knock him for— hate it as a fan. He’s definitely a legit back up in this league. 

Tired of an overall culture about surviving/attempting to protect and remain employed. 

Edited by wit33

2 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

We'll see, I think Heinicke masks a lot of the pass protecting deficiencies. I'd be willing to bet the OL looks much worse with Fitzpatrick back there. Teams will be able to blitz us more because they won't have to worry about Heincike's scrambling ability. 

I do have some general agreements with this statement, but PFF has our OL graded as a top 10 unit. When they do their gradings they try to completely isolate what the OL players can and can't control so they can get a sense of how they're actually executing their assignments, independent of other factors. Obviously, they're not the be-all-end-all, but they're well respected around the league for their grading systems.

I don't really think many teams are all that scared of blitzing Heinicke anymore, now that they have more tape on him. IIRC the Saints blitzed plenty last week and it seemed like KC blitzed a good amount today as well. Seems to actually work pretty well for them.

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

I don't really think many teams are all that scared of blitzing Heinicke anymore, now that they have more tape on him. IIRC the Saints blitzed plenty last week and it seemed like KC blitzed a good amount today as well. Seems to actually work pretty well for them.

I didn't chart it in real time but my take watching it was KC decided the way to beat Heinicke is to bring the house to go get him.  The Giants didn't do that, they primarily kept their guys in coverage.  And heck KC sans Chris Jones isn't the best at bringing pressure typically. 

Logan Paulsen's theme about Heinicke and for that matter any QB with a short sample size was beware of the short sample size because defenses haven't had time to adjust.  But once they have the book on you, they orient their defenses around exploiting that QBs perceived weakness.  And he wanted to see that unfold and see how that plays out for Heinicke.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wit33 said:

Feel for him, seems he must be reckless with his running and decision making to assist with managing below average tools. The dude that sits in the pocket and tries to carve up defenses will not work as a starter. Maybe he’s preserving his place in the league, which I don’t at all knock him for— hate it as a fan. He’s definitely a legit back up in this league. 

Judging by coaches comments and the article from the Atlantic about Heinicke -- they aren't putting the harness on Heinicke as for running but Heinicke has some concern if he gets hurt that his shot to start is over and perhaps forever. 

My take is he's ruining his shot to be a starting QB anyway as is.  I don't think he can thrive as a pocket passer.  He's not accurate enough, being short probably doesn't help him see the passing lanes well back there, and doesn't have the arm strength.

I think he has to run and scramble and forget about worrying about getting hurt.  His superpower so to speak is moving in the pocket and posing as a threat with his legs.  Without that, he looks to me "meh". 

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 1

He is a backup guys, probably a pretty good backup, and at times can be fun to watch. At the moment he has one wr to work with who is banged up, his TE is out, he is without the right side of his line, and his lead back has a fumbling problem.

Put things in perspective a bit.

Surprised at these poll results, I voted no.  As for him playing with backups, that's only true yesterday as to TE as to passing weapons.  Cooley actually thinks Seals-Jones > Thomas.  I am not sure I do but Seals-Jones made the catch of the year for Heinicke against NY.   I don't think Seals-Jones has been a liability. Samuel hasn’t played much all season so I guess he counts.

But even if it were the case, I'd give him a pass as to his play if his supporting cast was blatantly the issue.    I'll give you an example, Matt Corral was playing with backup receivers on Saturday, it was hard to watch at times, they were dropping dimes that he was putting in their lap.  But he gutted it out anyway.  Heinicke's accuracy was wild.  Doesn't matter who he was throwing those balls to.  I agree he does look like a backup.  Heck I'll say high end backup.  No shame in that.

Also, I am not all out on Heinicke.  I want to see if he regroups and scrambles more and runs.  I am convinced he needs to play that way.  He's not IMO a sharp pocket passer.  He's a QB who does his best on the move, I'd like to see him play like that again. 

Screen Shot 2021-10-18 at 7.29.01 AM.png

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/10/18/taylor-heinicke-washington-qb-short-passes/

Taylor Heinicke isn’t going deep, and that could limit the length of his WFT starting stint

He missed open throws, couldn’t find running lanes and didn’t push the ball downfield, throwing 13 of 15 passes fewer than 10 yards in the air.

“We just couldn’t get the ball rolling in the second half, whether it was penalties or keeping it on the sticks or the defense making a good play or a dropped ball [or a] bad throw,” Heinicke said. “We just couldn’t put it together. It was frustrating.”

Before the game, the offense had lived up to preseason expectations. It was average by advanced metrics Defense-adjusted Value Over Average (13th) and Expected Points Added (20th), and Heinicke had been an integral part of winning close games late, including at Atlanta just two weeks ago. But his inconsistent play from snap to snap means the job isn’t necessarily secure once Ryan Fitzpatrick returns from the hip subluxation he suffered in the season opener.

Heinicke still has time to bolster his argument. Initially, Fitzpatrick was expected to return around the bye week in early November, and on Friday, Coach Ron Rivera said the 38-year-old has an MRI exam “pretty soon, which will tell us a lot more.” Rivera has been noncommittal about the starting role once Fitzpatrick returns and said all Heinicke can do is “just keep playing well” because “there’s a lot of factors that will go into the decision that’s made.”

On Sunday, Rivera said Heinicke was uneven. One of his biggest problems was an inability to hit passes deeper than 10 yards. Heinicke doesn’t need to throw long to win — his 8.2 air yards per attempt is league average — but he finished 2 for 11 on attempts longer than 10 air yards, according to NFL Next Gen Stats. The struggles became glaring against a reeling Chiefs defense that didn’t generate consistent pressure.

...The misses and check-downs led to an average of 1.7 air yards per completion, the shortest distance for any quarterback in a game this season.

Even in an offense built around dynamic playmakers such as McLaurin and running back Antonio Gibson, settling for completions so close to the line of scrimmage makes it difficult to sustain drives, generate explosive plays and score.

“It was trying to take what was given more so than anything else,” Rivera added of Heinicke checking down so much. “The game plan just calls for you to go through your progression. … We’ll take a look [at the film] and see if he moved too quick or [if he stayed] on a guy too long. Those are things that, again, he’s going to continue to learn and get better with.”