Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Heinicke Hive: The LEGEND of Taylor Heinicke Thread

LetThePointsSoar
Message added by TK,

image.png.76d3d6bba631c4c9e8442f26a9c9afc4.png

2 minutes ago, tmandoug1 said:

I guess the doubters shouldn't feel wrong about doubting Heiny ho....NFL power Rankings have him at #26. Which is below some pretty bad QB's numbers wise. Oh well...keep charging Lil man.

I don't even think 'doubters' is an appropriate word, skeptics is probably better.  I think we all like the dude, but remain skeptical of how it all plays out for a season+.  As has been mentioned on numerous occasions, while we've been in QB purgatory for decades, there have been some flashes along the way that weren't sustainable.  It's only healthy and rational to remain skeptical.  

1 minute ago, mistertim said:

Come on guys.

There were 6 passes before TH came in. 6.

So if Heinicke had thrown those 6 passes we would have won the game?

I've bypassed a few of these comments since Week 1 as to avoid a string of debate over it, but since you took the bait -  I'll take the ride with you.

Was I impressed by the glimpse of Fitz we saw in preseason and not even a full regular season quarter of football? Nah.  But I find it ironic that some of the same dudes who are all in on Heineke after 1-4 starts, are the same dudes who determined Fitz is washed after 6 throws.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

So this is the best view of the last play I have seen. Others may get the coaches copies stuff but I do not. This is from Jim Rome, who is a douche, but I watched anyway to hear from JD - good interview from him despite Rome conducting. Ok, moving on. Real time I thought I saw Humphries come open earlier in the play. But I never saw a replay to confirm or deny. This one has is. 

If all you are interested in is the last play go to 4:34. Freeze it at 4:35. DeAndre Carter (I think that is who it is, hard to see numbers) is open but there is no way Taylor sees him. It's across the field with all the oline and dline beef in front of him. Go to 4:36 and you see Humphries pop open. Taylor has direct sight. This may be some self awareness. That completion takes a rope. And there is some traffic. No need to force anything at all since you are well within FG range (No comments on Hopkins please, we know his issues, this is about Taylor). He freezes what I believe is the LB (safeties got pulled across in the other routes, CBs are also in coverage but I can't blow up enough to see numbers and verify) in the middle of the field - not sure if that was intentional or just he kept looking for a place to throw, but either way, the LB gets frozen and that's what let's JD get around the edge. 

Really interesting play to watch from the skycam. BTW: I am not questioning him not throwing to Humphries. He clearly saw something he did not like. More likely it was too much traffic and all we really had to have was 3. So probably best to turn that route down. But I was sure I saw him open so I feel at least I was able to verify. Anyway, good interview if you can stomach Rome. Great view of the last play. BTW - It has the other TD passes too from the skycam earlier in the video.    I think you have to go to Youtube to watch it. But you should be able to get there with this:

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Come on guys.

I will say that every NFL game has an offensive script of 10-15 plays the QB wants to run against that defense, then the team practices those plays.

When Fitz went down, that script was out the window unless it overlapped with Heinicke's desired plays.

But...we've started slow on offense all season, so script schmipt?

35 minutes ago, tmandoug1 said:

I guess the doubters shouldn't feel wrong about doubting Heiny ho....NFL power Rankings have him at #26. Which is below some pretty bad QB's numbers wise. Oh well...keep charging Lil man.

I'm guessing some of that is just based on the fact that he's still so new to starting. They start the season with the known good QBs at the top and the known bad QBs + complete unknowns at the bottom. Then QBs work their way up or down based on their play through the season. 

I'm sure some of it is also based on the fact that the 2 good games Heinicke had were against bottom 5 teams.

Not saying whether it's deserved or not, just speculating on the causes.

If he plays really well against a few good teams then we'll probably see his stock go up with analysts.

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

Come on guys.

Not to mention SD went into "game over lets coast mode" for the last couple of series.

Edited by Chris 44

57 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Come on guys.

MT, I think his statement was, "we would've had a good shot at beating SD", not "we would have won" .  Fitz first series -- three and out. Fitz second series -- Gibson runs it to the Chargers' 17 yard line, but Fitz cannot get us into the end zone, and we settle for a field goal. Fitz third series -- a pass interference call gets us to the Chargers 23 yard line, but we have to kick a field goal from the 24 yard line. Fitz fourth series, he gets hurt and leaves the game after we have 6 points. TH comes in, and we get 10 more points. Final score is 20-16. If TH plays the whole game and the Team gets 14 to 17 points on those three series, we win, 24 or 27 to 20. Note that with TH starting, the WFT has averaged 28 points per game. His low game was 21 points against Buffalo, and they have two shutouts in their three wins. So, it's not unreasonable at all to believe that we would have scored something around 28 points (or more) if TH started.  So, would we have had a good shot at winning. With TH, the facts say yes, we would have had a very good shot.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Florgon79 said:

They only won by 4 points and didn't take the lead until the fourth quarter. Are you sure you're not thinking of our game against the Bills?

You may be right and Im lumping both games together some what. I know that their last possession went 15 plays 72 yards and looked like they could open things up whenever they wanted to. I remember it was one of those games where you knew no matter what we did the Chargers were going to score at will. 

1 hour ago, OMacAttack said:

Most what? Most Quarterback? Most TDs? Most pylon dives?

Found it passing TDs carry on.

I was more focused on the "most in franchise history since 1999"

That's sort of like saying the guy who throws the first pass Tonight has the most passing yards in nfl history since monday.

2 minutes ago, redskinss said:

That's sort of like saying the guy who throws the first pass Tonight has the most passing yards in nfl history since monday.

But... but... but... what if it's incomplete?  Cheers!

15 minutes ago, ODU AGGIE said:

MT, I think his statement was, "we would've had a good shot at beating SD", not "we would have won" .  Fitz first series -- three and out. Fitz second series -- Gibson runs it to the Chargers' 17 yard line, but Fitz cannot get us into the end zone, and we settle for a field goal. Fitz third series -- a pass interference call gets us to the Chargers 23 yard line, but we have to kick a field goal from the 24 yard line. Fitz fourth series, he gets hurt and leaves the game after we have 6 points. TH comes in, and we get 10 more points. Final score is 20-16. If TH plays the whole game and the Team gets 14 to 17 points on those three series, we win, 24 or 27 to 20. Note that with TH starting, the WFT has averaged 28 points per game. His low game was 21 points against Buffalo, and they have two shutouts in their three wins. So, it's not unreasonable at all to believe that we would have scored something around 28 points (or more) if TH started.  So, would we have had a good shot at winning. With TH, the facts say yes, we would have had a very good shot.

Sorry, but the entire premise is just silly and points to some of the issues I have with this Hive.

Nobody can leave well enough alone. Everything has to somehow be changed and morphed and one-upped until Heinicke is basically a heroic cult figure. Everything would have been better with Heinicke. If he'd had those 6 passes, he would somehow have led us to victory. If he'd have been starting for the past 3 years we'd be SB champions by now, right?

This post is a microcosm of it. You go through this long ass, winding, completely imaginary scenario where the Hero Heinicke somehow saves the day by being in for a couple more series based on a ton of assumptions that are dubious (you really think his first few starting drives since last season and without work with the starters would have been great?)

Can't you guys just leave it at "Heinicke has played well so far, let's hope he keeps it up and watch"? Why does it always have to become some sort of absurdist theater?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sorry, but the entire premise is just silly and points to some of the issues I have with this Hive.

Nobody can leave well enough alone. Everything has to somehow be changed and morphed and one-upped until Heinicke is basically a heroic cult figure. Everything would have been better with Heinicke. If he'd had those 6 passes, he would somehow have led us to victory. If he'd have been starting for the past 3 years we'd be SB champions by now, right?

This post is a microcosm of it. You go through this long ass, winding, completely imaginary scenario where the Hero Heinicke somehow saves the day by being in for a couple more series based on a ton of assumptions that are dubious (you really think his first few starting drives since last season and without work with the starters would have been great?)

Can't you guys just leave it at "Heinicke has played well so far, let's hope he keeps it up and watch"? Why does it always have to become some sort of absurdist theater?

Seriously? It's the Heinicke Hive. Why do you always have to find something negative to complain about?

• Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, redskinss said:

It says most in franchise history THROUGH WEEK 4 since 1999. Which makes sense. Meaning, in the whole history of the franchise, no other QB has thrown as many TDs as Heinicke has (8) since 1999 when Johnson threw 9 in the first 4 weeks. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mistertim said:

Come on guys.

I don't man... six passes could have resulted in a TD. The Chargers didn't have tape on him or adjust like they might have during the game. 

10 minutes ago, ODU AGGIE said:

Seriously? It's the Heinicke Hive. Why do you always have to find something negative to complain about?

This is a Washington Football Team message board. Because of the way threads are organized, this is the place where discussion about Heinicke goes. Despite the funny title, it’s not actually meant as just a fan club for hype in here, it’s meant for all discussion that fits within the rules. Not everybody is a huge homer, some like to dig in deeper and look to the future. Nobody’s even being overly negative in here man, you’re just obviously (understandably) biased. 

5 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

This is a Washington Football Team message board. Because of the way threads are organized, this is the place where discussion about Heinicke goes. Despite the funny title, it’s not actually meant as just a fan club for hype in here, it’s meant for all discussion that fits within the rules. Not everybody is a huge homer, some like to dig in deeper and look to the future. Nobody’s even being overly negative in here man, you’re just obviously (understandably) biased. 

5 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Duly noted. Thank you.

13 minutes ago, zskins said:

I don't man... six passes could have resulted in a TD. The Chargers didn't have tape on him or adjust like they might have during the game. 

And there's a possibility that due to nerves from being out there for the first time since last season and in only his 3rd career start along with not having much practice with the starters, two of those could have been interceptions that the Chargers got points off of.

But that's some sort of in depth imaginary scenario too, so it's also silly. See my point?

1 minute ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Until someone calls a QB completely worthless and suggests that the QB should commit Seppuku (Japanese ritual suicide) at midfield at FedEx Field, then it’s pretty much a fluff thread. This is the least criticism any starting QB has received ever here. That can obviously change but so far it’s been all pretty much positive relative to what the QB discussion normally is. Arguing about how worthless a QB is is the bread and butter of this board. Heinicke has had it easy.  His acquisition cost and play on the field have obviously contributed to that. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Assuming Heinicke is healthy for the season, and assuming that Fitzpatrick is cleared to return after the bye...how many games during this 4 game stretch does Heinicke need to perform relatively well in to remain the starter for the season?  I'd say three, unless there is a total implosion and meltdown.  

1 hour ago, Chris 44 said:

You may be right and Im lumping both games together some what. I know that their last possession went 15 plays 72 yards and looked like they could open things up whenever they wanted to. I remember it was one of those games where you knew no matter what we did the Chargers were going to score at will. 

Except they didn't, not in the second half. We got two turnovers. If it weren't for a missed FG by Dustin Hopkins we would've been up 6 midway through the 3rd an in control of the game. Instead he missed, then on our next possession we fumbled and gave them a short field. That game is closer than we remember because since then our defense has been somehow much worse. 

16 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

Assuming Heinicke is healthy for the season, and assuming that Fitzpatrick is cleared to return after the bye...how many games during this 4 game stretch does Heinicke need to perform relatively well in to remain the starter for the season?  I'd say three, unless there is a total implosion and meltdown.  

I'd say at least 2. We'll be going up against one elite defense (Denver), two good defenses (NO and GB), and possibly the worst defense in the NFL in KC.

I think Heinicke has earned the benefit of the doubt in general, but if he plays poorly against the good defenses there would be legit questions about whether he should stay or if Fitz should get another shot.