Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The War on Christmas

Cooked Crack

10 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Worst Christmas movie is A Charlie Brown Christmas.  Why Charlie Brown ever became popular, and why it remains popular to this day, 55 years later, is a total mystery to me.  As a character, Charlie Brown is just some formless depressed kid with no personality other than sucking at everything (football kicking, kite flying, dog ownership, etc).  The plot of the movie is just a careening between random Christmas-adjacent events.  He picks a ****ty tree, which everyone hates, and then don't hate anymore.  The end.  **** off Charlie Brown.

Ok... this seals it..  you are a monster. In fact, I bet you cheered for the magician in Frosty the Snowman...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

They could have substituted literally any event that causes the whole company to be distracted, doing coke and ****ing each other.  At my former company, they called that Happy Hour.  Die Hard's writers chose Christmas, but that doesn't make it a Christmas movies.  Christmas movies are about Christmas.  Die Hard is about the brutal murder of Professor Snape and his band of Norwegian mercenary thieves which happens to occur during an office Christmas party.   Freaking Independence Day isn't a movie about Independence Day (a commemoration of the US' declared that it was no longer subject to the authority of King George III) , it's a movie about a war with aliens that happens to coincide with July 4th.  

Worst Christmas movie is A Charlie Brown Christmas.  Why Charlie Brown ever became popular, and why it remains popular to this day, 55 years later, is a total mystery to me.  As a character, Charlie Brown is just some formless depressed kid with no personality other than sucking at everything (football kicking, kite flying, dog ownership, etc).  The plot of the movie is just a careening between random Christmas-adjacent events.  He picks a ****ty tree, which everyone hates, and then don't hate anymore.  The end.  **** off Charlie Brown.

Best Christmas Movie of all time is Elf.  Maybe it is It's a Wonderful Life but I have never seen that film because I feel that society has tried far too hard to jam it down by throat.  

Possibly, but I like it as a CHristmas movie since that's the background they choose. But to each their own. 

I agree Elf is a great movie. Surprisingly good. Top 5 for me, maybe even top 3. But It's a Wonderful Life is for me the one movie that truly embodies the Christmas spirit and encourages you to be a better person while reminding us that we are not perfect. It's also a good mix of real and magical. I have watched it more times than I can count.   If you do watch it, get the original in black and white. The color really cheapens it in my mind. You lose so much of the nuances. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Xameil said:

Ok... this seals it..  you are a monster. In fact, I bet you cheered for the magician in Frosty the Snowman...

I always enjoyed the scene in the 60's version of Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer where a bloodthirsty Yukon Cornelius is obsessed with murdering the abominable snowman, so he drops several boulders on to its head and eventually pushes it off a cliff.

• Haha 4

6 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Hey man, that hat was his property

He threw it away....thereby in a court of law he gave up ownership. 

And Santa ruled in Frostys favor....

2 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I always enjoyed the scene in the 60's version of Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer where a bloodthirsty Yukon Cornelius is obsessed with murdering the abominable snowman, so he drops several boulders on to its head and eventually pushes it off a cliff.

Cornelius was a straight up greedy bloodthirsty murderer who sees the light of Christmas and befriends the beast....of course then the elves just use him to put the star on the tree...

I mean for hundreds of years before how did they get the ****ing star up there...

Perhaps just get a smaller tree...

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

They could have substituted literally any event that ...

Right. So can a lot of movies. 

but they didn’t. 

and Christmas is a major part of the plot. 

but sure it could have been about something else. 

a lot of movies could be about something else. 

30 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

The plot of the movie is just a careening between random Christmas-adjacent events.  He picks a ****ty tree, which everyone hates, and then don't hate anymore.  The end.  **** off Charlie Brown.

It’s a young kids cartoon........

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

This is my favorite Christmas movie

Your favorite part is nothing more than a dated version of diehard that just so happens to occur on Christmas 🤪

come at me

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

If you do watch it, get the original in black and white. The color really cheapens it in my mind. You lose so much of the nuances. 

I didn’t realize there was a color version 

9 minutes ago, Xameil said:

Is this Momma There Goes That Man?

If anything that is you all trying to classify some ridiculous action movie as a Christmas movie. 

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man

31 minutes ago, Xameil said:

Cornelius was a straight up greedy bloodthirsty murderer who sees the light of Christmas and befriends the beast....of course then the elves just use him to put the star on the tree...

I mean for hundreds of years before how did they get the ****ing star up there...

Perhaps just get a smaller tree...

They were just being nice and giving him something to do.  I'm sure getting a star up there wasn't a problem before considering they have reindeer that can fly.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, China said:

They were just being nice and giving him something to do.  I'm sure getting a star up there wasn't a problem before considering they have reindeer that can fly.

So they're patronizing him after pulling out all his teeth...real ****ing nice..

30 minutes ago, tshile said:

and Christmas is a major part of the plot.

Christmas is a major part of the plot? In what way? Once the plot establishes that it’s an office Christmas party in the first 5 minutes, Christmas has nothing to do with the remaining hour and a half of the movie. Nothing. It’s so inessential to the plot that if you remove every mention of Christmas from dialogue, plot etc, the movie is exactly the same. 

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Christmas is a major part of the plot? In what way? Once the plot establishes that it’s an office Christmas party in the first 5 minutes, Christmas has nothing to do with the remaining hour and a half of the movie. Nothing. It’s so inessential to the plot that if you remove every mention of Christmas from dialogue, plot etc, the movie is exactly the same. 

Let's see....its the whole reason he's in California in the first place....if it wasn't for Christmas he wouldn't be there....

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I didn’t realize there was a color version 

Yea, there was a move to colorize all the old B&W movies mainly jsut becasue they could. It's a Wonderful Life was one of them. I watched it and honestly hated it. So if there is anyone who only watched the colorized version and didn't like it, I totally get it. Watch the B&W. It really is that much different.

One of Frank Capra's and other director/producers of the time was the use of shadows and small nuances that B&W can provide. In my opinion, done right it can provide a fuller movie experience than color. But there is a place for both so not an anti-color movie person. I do wish more movies would be made in B7W. Look at Schindler's List. Great movie! They did add one color scene and it was great addition. So again, room for both. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Xameil said:

Let's see....its the whole reason he's in California in the first place....if it wasn't for Christmas he wouldn't be there....

It's not a major plot point if after 5 minutes it's irrelevant to the entire rest of the movie. Christmas does nothing in Die Hard but establish a setting which isn't even something unique to Christmas. It plays no role at all in the movie 

30 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

except the motive for the heist is Christmas time and what that means

and his whole being there is related to christmas

your argument is basically that if we strip a plot device the plot no longer has anything to do with said device

which is correct. 

it’s also correct about the vast majority of movies... 

if die hard centered around Fourth of July then it would be a Fourth of July movie (assuming it’s success as a movie otherwise stayed the same)

but it didn’t center around Fourth of July. 

it centered around Christmas. 

8 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

It's not a major plot point if after 5 minutes it's irrelevant to the entire rest of the movie. Christmas does nothing in Die Hard but establish a setting which isn't even something unique to Christmas. It plays no role at all in the movie 

Most movies establish why the characters are together early on in the movie and then move on from it 

this is terrible criticism as it lacks a perspective on what it means for all movies. 

you can’t just Willy nilly remove plot devices, substitute them with other random ones, then declare it has nothing to do with the original plot device. 

that’s now how screen writing/writing/story telling works. 

Just now, PleaseBlitz said:

The motive for the heist is $600 million in untraceable bearer bonds.  Not the ****ing Christmas spirit.  :ols:

... did you guys even watch the movie?

they chose to do it at Christmas time because everyone’s distracted and things are shut down. 

His reason for being there, the main character, is related to Christmas. 

your argument here is terrible. 

39 minutes ago, Corcaigh said:

Not necessarily a fan of The Grinch movies but have to say that as I’ve gotten older the prospect of living completely alone on a mountain, except for  my dog(s), seems like bliss.

Yeah I don’t know why he insisted on going into town. 

that’s where it all goes wrong for him.