Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Vaccine Thread

Cooked Crack

Families could be denied death benefits if their unvaccinated loved one dies

These days, workers who refuse to get vaccinated against covid-19 may face financial repercussions, from higher health insurance premiums to loss of their jobs. Now, the financial fallout might follow workers beyond the grave. If they die of covid and weren't vaccinated, their families may not get death benefits they would otherwise have received.

New York's Metropolitan Transportation Authority no longer pays a $500,000 death benefit to the families of subway, bus and commuter rail workers who die of covid if the workers were unvaccinated at the time of death.

"It strikes me as needlessly cruel," said Mark DeBofsky, a lawyer at DeBofsky Sherman Casciari Reynolds in Chicago who represents workers in benefit disputes.

Other employers have similar concerns about providing death or other benefits to employees who refuse to be vaccinated.

In Massachusetts, the New Bedford City Council sought to extend accidental death benefits to city employees who died of covid, but the mayor didn't sign that legislation because, among other things, it didn't prohibit payment if the worker was unvaccinated.

Click on the link for the full article

• Like 1

1 hour ago, China said:

That article title is a little misleading. They changed the policy before vaccines that if an individual died of COVID it would be treated as a work related death, i.e. getting run over by a train. With the vaccines being approved they determined it is no longer a work related death but is a personal choice to to. 

Nothing wrong with the policy and actions have consequences no matter what you believe. Capitalism baby! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, China said:

These days, workers who refuse to get vaccinated against covid-19 may face financial repercussions, from higher health insurance premiums to loss of their jobs. Now, the financial fallout might follow workers beyond the grave. If they die of covid and weren't vaccinated, their families may not get death benefits they would otherwise have received.

New York's Metropolitan Transportation Authority no longer pays a $500,000 death benefit to the families of subway, bus and commuter rail workers who die of covid if the workers were unvaccinated at the time of death.

"It strikes me as needlessly cruel," said Mark DeBofsky, a lawyer at DeBofsky Sherman Casciari Reynolds in Chicago who represents workers in benefit disputes.

Other employers have similar concerns about providing death or other benefits to employees who refuse to be vaccinated.

In Massachusetts, the New Bedford City Council sought to extend accidental death benefits to city employees who died of covid, but the mayor didn't sign that legislation because, among other things, it didn't prohibit payment if the worker was unvaccinated.

Click on the link for the full article

Yea, thats a step too far, imo.

7 minutes ago, GoSkinsGo said:

Why? They just reverted back to it being a non work related death as the vaccines are approved and available. 

You’re gonna have to accept people will read that and comment before reading your clarification. 

cause I almost did the same thing. But I was just torn on whether it was or not. 

Edited by tshile
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, GoSkinsGo said:

Why? They just reverted back to it being a non work related death as the vaccines are approved and available. 

I'll admit I didn't read the whole article first.  I'm still on the fence, but in the deep context of the original program, I get it.  The family has to deal with it regardless, it sucks, but is what it is

5 hours ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Got my Pfizer booster this morning. Side effects are the same as the other two: dry mouth, a bit tired, and a sore arm at the shot site.

One of my good friends got covid last week, fully vaccinated (Pfizer), got it traveling for work (Mississippi and Alabama).  His wife said he was pretty sick, I didn't get into a deep conversation about it but recognize that "pretty sick" definition varies person to person.  He didn't have to go the hospital or anything, but did go get the antibody ****tail for treatment.  

He got fully vaccinated begining of April, so was in his 7th month.  My six months hit middle of December (12/18/21), plan on getting it immediately.  My wife just got her booster (Pfizer) last month.  

Edited by Dont Taze Me Bro
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Cooked Crack said:

Doesn't the military refer to "coercion" as orders? Methinks they wanted out of West Point, maybe forced to go in the first place, or didn't realize what they were getting into and found a convenient exit strategy. 

Edited by NoCalMike
  • Like 5

I've been mulling something over, I got diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis a few weeks ago. It's an autoimmune disease but does not really weaken the immune system until you have to take biological injections. I don't need the injections and I can go about my daily routine. 

But, if I did have to take the injections it would weaken my immune system enough to cause concern.

I'm wondering what the liability would be, if any, if someone lied about being vaccinated at the workplace and got someone sick. Would that person then be liable for medical or possibly civil damages? With the continuing pushback from a fairly large swath of people this is something I've been thinking about.

In my workplace, I highly doubt it would be an issue, but I'm interested in what other people think. 

3 minutes ago, GoSkinsGo said:

n my workplace, I highly doubt it would be an issue, but I'm interested in what other people think. 

I honestly think the liability is the only reason so many companies are doing it. They can get *sued to the ground for this stuff I would assume. 

*I know nothing

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Llevron said:

I honestly think the liability is the only reason so many companies are doing it.

That's my thought from the employer side, CYA. 

If an employee lies does that person become liable for damages. I'm leaning towards, probably, they knowingly falsified information and took a highly contagious disease into an environment violating policy. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Llevron said:

I honestly think the liability is the only reason so many companies are doing it. They can get *sued to the ground for this stuff I would assume. 

*I know nothing

Speaking from a former business owner standpoint, liability is ALWAYS a major concern. Too easy to lose the business you worked so hard for, because of someone else’s indiscretion.

Had to let people go a few times because of potential liability issues.   

• Thumb up 2

12 hours ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

One of my good friends got covid last week, fully vaccinated (Pfizer), got it traveling for work (Mississippi and Alabama).  His wife said he was pretty sick, I didn't get into a deep conversation about it but recognize that "pretty sick" definition varies person to person.  He didn't have to go the hospital or anything, but did go get the antibody ****tail for treatment.  

He got fully vaccinated begining of April, so was in his 7th month.  My six months hit middle of December (12/18/21), plan on getting it immediately.  My wife just got her booster (Pfizer) last month.  

I rarely go anywhere except for groceries, doctor appointments, or seeing my family. I always wear masks except to family. My daughter and granddaughter are fully vaccinated. My MO is never trust anybody, especially in the grocery stores. So many unmasked people there. And I have great insurance now beyond Medicare. I never pay anything beyond my monthly premium. 

• Like 3