Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Vaccine Thread

Cooked Crack

9 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Total coincidence, I’m sure.

Looking forward to MTG (and anybody else pushing this lame meme)'s plan for how to end obesity, quickly, and with less impact on people's "freedoms". 

I mean, from where I sit, I see two ways to reduce Covid hospitalizations by 30%. 

Biden and the Dems:  vaccinate 30% of the population. 

MTG and a bunch of right wing trolls:  End obesity in the US. 

I wonder which of these methods we should implement, right now. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Yeah, I can’t recall anyone on the right criticizing improving school lunch or doing anything to prevent it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2020/01/17/us/politics/michelle-obama-school-nutrition-trump.amp.html

I’m not on the right nor left. I lean toward common sense.

Edited by mojo

5 minutes ago, mojo said:

Bringing down general level of obesity would be a great thing for the country.  I think it would take significantly greater level of effort and time compared to vaccination, so it's probably not a very meaningful solution in terms of tackling serious symptoms among unvaccinated covid patients.  I'm sure it's a topic very worthy of a prominent place in our national healthcare concerns, just not sure how prominent it should be within the context of dealing with covid concerns in the present.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, mojo said:

Hard to claim common sense when you said 1/3 (turns out to be 30%) of Covid deaths are people who were obese, when 36.5% of Americans are obese and oh yea, another 32.5% of Americans are overweight but not considered obese. 

See the problem there? Let me help a little - 30% < 35.5%.  So in fact the data suggests if you are fit you have a better chance of dying. Quick, save yourself! Start binge eating! Beats getting a shot right!!

image.png.d5e1bed94e9f786257ee4e91e8471bfc.png  

Edited by goskins10
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, goskins10 said:

Hard to claim common sense when you said 1/3 (turns out to be 30%) of Covid deaths are people who are obese, when 36.5% of Americans are obese and oh yea, another 32.5% of Americans are overweight but not considered obese. 

See the problem there? Let me help a little - 30% < 35.5%.  So in fact the data suggests if you are fit you have a better chance of dying. Quick, save yourself! Start binge eating! Beats getting a shot right!!

image.png.d5e1bed94e9f786257ee4e91e8471bfc.png  

Can you be my doctor?

• Haha 6

56 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Total coincidence, I’m sure.

These are the same ****sticks who suddenly discover mental health whenever there's a huge mass shooting and then subsequently forget about it as soon as there's any question about how to deal with it and fund an increase in it.

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, mistertim said:

These are the same ****sticks who suddenly discover mental health whenever there's a huge mass shooting and then subsequently forget about it as soon as there's any question about how to deal with it and fund an increase in it.

Correct.  Today’s sudden concern about obesity is a cynical, bad-faith attempt to divert attention away from the lunacy of the GQP.  Just another phase of the schtick.

Anyone with common sense can see that.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

India is ranked 188th in global obesity.  Only 3.9% of the population is obese.

COVID did a pretty big number on em.

They also have 1.4 billion people and a population density 12 times higher than the US. And still 200,000 less Covid deaths than the US. 

Edited by PleaseBlitz

1 hour ago, TryTheBeal! said:

India is ranked 188th in global obesity.  Only 3.9% of the population is obese.

COVID did a pretty big number on em.

That was a CDC citation I sent and you scolded me for refuting of their data earlier so take it or leave it.

And all I’m saying is that this data should be promoted as well as the vaccine.  It’s a great opportunity to inform and educate, utilize it.

Edited by mojo

1 minute ago, mojo said:

That was a CDC citation I sent and you scolded me for refuting of their data earlier so take it or leave it.

And all I’m saying is that this data should be promoted as well as the vaccine.  It’s a great opportunity to inform and educate, utilize it.

Sure it can be promoted, but it shouldn't be put on anywhere near the same footing as the vaccine.

As @Larryalluded to in his response to the MTG Tweet: one of these things can be quickly implemented immediately and save massive numbers of lives. The other would take many years of concerted effort including legislative and cultural shifts to achieve.

That doesn't mean battling obesity isn't important, but it certainly isn't anywhere near as immediately important and effective in decreasing these COVID deaths as the vaccine is.

MTG and the other right wing trolls not only know this, but are counting on it, because it allows them to stoke the fire of the outrage machine all while not having to do anything tangible to battle the issue they're trying to claim is the real problem (if you think MTG or any of her ilk are going to write and/or sponsor any serious House bills about battling obesity, I have a bridge to sell you.)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

The CDC needs to recommend the government  mandate that people eat less, eat healthy and get 150 minutes of cardio per week minimum.

Hows that for freedom?

Y’know that’s a good point. That said, I’m not talking about Biden doing jumping jacks, how about just informing people?

2 minutes ago, mojo said:

Y’know that’s a good point. That said, I’m not talking about Biden doing jumping jacks, how about just informing people?

I doubt people are obese because they don't know eating healthy and regularly exercising is universally recommended by every expert.  It appears that expert recommendation doesn't seem to carry enough weight these days. (There are of course people whose obesity comes from a different place than just bad lifestyle choices).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1