Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Vaccine Thread

Cooked Crack

I just worry that even in MD where our numbers per 100k are relatively low and our vaccination rate is high, our pediatric beds on ICU's are already filling up. This is before many schools even start. Yes, it could be worse. We could be FL, but I never wanted to be FL.

My favorite line from the video was "poop yourself to own the libs."

Edited by gbear

2 hours ago, gbear said:

I just worry that even in MD where our numbers per 100k are relatively low and our vaccination rate is high, our pediatric beds on ICU's are already filling up. This is before many schools even start. Yes, it could be worse. We could be FL, but I never wanted to be FL.

My favorite line from the video was "poop yourself to own the libs."

I also keep hearing about how Northern Virginia is fine cause of the high vaccination rate and how our hospitals are not overrun.  Yeah, we're not Florida.  But you go ask the medical staff at Inova Fairfax just how much comfort that is when they are so slammed that they retrofitted part of the rehab wing as hold unit for emergency department patients waiting for beds to open up upstairs, ICU team picking between critical patient A and critical patient B due to short supply of beds, and nurses doing patient transports themselves cause it takes ages for the transport team to come around to your patient.  I'm sure it takes all of their self restraint to not punch people in the face when they spew dumbass antivax, anti mask conspiracies (and if I'm on a jury in such a case, I'd just vote not guilty and flip the bird at the so called victim).

• Sad 1

Someone has to explain the special k reference to me. I must be out of the loop on that being talked about for covid treatment by the left. I thought the left was talking about shots, masks, and social distancing?

Although I should note that a portion of the far left is anti-vax as **** too. 

Edited by The Evil Genius

14 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Someone has to explain the special k reference to me. I must be out of the loop on that being talked about for covid treatment by the left. I thought the left was talking about shots, masks, and social distancing?

Although I should note that a portion of the far left is anti-vax as **** too. 

Ketamine was originally approved as a veterinary tranquilizer.  After Phish got back back together, there was anecdotal evidence that it had long-lasting positive effects against depression.  I believe the FDA has recently approved “micro dosing” Ketamine for PTSD, or some such.

****ing hippies…

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

I remember thinking that the seniors and kids would get vaxxed first, and the rest in the middle (me) would have to wait...and I was ok with that because I understand how important school and lunches are. (And at the time, seniors were more susceptible. )

They've really gotta get the kids vaxxed now.  Seriously, going into another flu season, this has to happen.  

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

9 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Ketamine was originally approved as a veterinary tranquilizer.  After Phish got back back together, there was anecdotal evidence that it had long-lasting positive effects against depression.  I believe the FDA has recently approved “micro dosing” Ketamine for PTSD, or some such.

****ing hippies…

Thanks. Just read up on its history and saw it was used at the same time as an anesthetic during Vietnam. But this was the first I've heard of hippies wanting it. And I'm surrounded by them in the Bay Area. 😄

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TryTheBeal! said:

****ing hippies…

I took Ketamine for a bit while the Navy took two years to diagnose a broken collarbone (and other major damage, they just missed that part).

I was not a fan of it.  Felt like a zombie.

• Sad 2

Recent Twitter back and forth between Bad VAERS Takes, an anti-vaxxer, and me lol:

(Someone was giving the standard VAERS rant/propoganda...and claimed they were an expert in healthcare statistics...Bad VAERS Takes responded:)

BVT: "I’m going to go out on a limb and say BigK is not an expert in healthcare stats."

Anti-Vaxxer: "Neither are u. Who do I think u are anyway"

Me: "I dunno...who DO you think he is?"

Anti-Vaxxer: "Obviously a typo duh"

Me: "You think he’s a typo?…"

(Spongebob narrator voice): "A few moments lay-terrr"

5 PM.jpg

Edited by Califan007
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I took Ketamine for a bit while the Navy took two years to diagnose a broken collarbone (and other major damage, they just missed that part).

I was not a fan of it.  Felt like a zombie.

K for a clavicle?  I can see it.  Zombie vibes confirmed.

Guess they prolly did you a favor keeping you off the oxy.

3 hours ago, skinsmarydu said:

I remember thinking that the seniors and kids would get vaxxed first, and the rest in the middle (me) would have to wait...and I was ok with that because I understand how important school and lunches are. (And at the time, seniors were more susceptible. )

They've really gotta get the kids vaxxed now.  Seriously, going into another flu season, this has to happen.  

Absolutely.  

Talking to a buddy of mine today that I haven't seen much over the past year due to this whole mess, I knew he got it last year.   He's got a daughter who's 2 and a half, a son that's about 9 months.  Last year when he got it, he had to quarantine upstairs in his townhouse, his wife downstairs in the basement.  Didn't see each other for 10 days, unbelievable.

What he didn't tell me then back when he had it and we were texting, he got it from his daughter who was in daycare.  He quarantined upstairs with her.  Luckily his daughter didn't show symptoms, but he did and made it through.  His wife and their then newborn son didn't get it.

Kids definitely need to get vaxxed, for sure.

Anyway, on the surface this doesn't appear to be a good look for Rolling Stone, known to be a bastion of truth in the world of hard-hitting journalism:

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/gunshot-victims-horse-dewormer-ivermectin-oklahoma-hospitals-covid-1220608/

Update: Northeastern Hospital System Sequoia issued a statement: Although Dr. Jason McElyea is not an employee of NHS Sequoyah, he is affiliated with a medical staffing group that provides coverage for our emergency room.  With that said, Dr. McElyea has not worked at our Sallisaw location in over 2 months. NHS Sequoyah has not treated any patients due to complications related to taking ivermectin. This includes not treating any patients for ivermectin overdose.

All patients who have visited our emergency room have received medical attention as appropriate. Our hospital has not had to turn away any patients seeking emergency care.

We want to reassure our community that our staff is working hard to provide quality healthcare to all patients. We appreciate the opportunity to clarify this issue and as always, we value our community’s support.

And yet, they don't bother to change their misleading headline.  

I don't believe Ivermectin is a cure or a preventative but goddammit, Rolling Stone.  For a publication that so badly wants to be viewed as legitimate when it comes to reporting, get the **** right to begin with or don't report it if it doesn't jive with the narrative you want to push.  All they did was give the "fake news" crowd some ammo.

Desperation is a stinky cologne.

Here's their initial tweet, complete with a misleading photo.  Sure as hell looks like how people dress in Oklahoma in September, I'd imagine.

Edited by Spaceman Spiff
  • Thumb up 1

54 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Absolutely.  

Talking to a buddy of mine today that I haven't seen much over the past year due to this whole mess, I knew he got it last year.   He's got a daughter who's 2 and a half, a son that's about 9 months.  Last year when he got it, he had to quarantine upstairs in his townhouse, his wife downstairs in the basement.  Didn't see each other for 10 days, unbelievable.

What he didn't tell me then back when he had it and we were texting, he got it from his daughter who was in daycare.  He quarantined upstairs with her.  Luckily his daughter didn't show symptoms, but he did and made it through.  His wife and their then newborn son didn't get it.

Kids definitely need to get vaxxed, for sure.

Anyway, on the surface this doesn't appear to be a good look for Rolling Stone, known to be a bastion of truth in the world of hard-hitting journalism:

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/gunshot-victims-horse-dewormer-ivermectin-oklahoma-hospitals-covid-1220608/

And yet, they don't bother to change their misleading headline.  

I don't believe Ivermectin is a cure or a preventative but goddammit, Rolling Stone.  For a publication that so badly wants to be viewed as legitimate when it comes to reporting, get the **** right to begin with or don't report it if it doesn't jive with the narrative you want to push.  All they did was give the "fake news" crowd some ammo.

Desperation is a stinky cologne.

Here's their initial tweet, complete with a misleading photo.  Sure as hell looks like how people dress in Oklahoma in September, I'd imagine.

Wasn't this story reported in more places than just Rolling Stone?...

Just now, Spaceman Spiff said:

I think so.  I'm not sure if Rolling Stone had it first or if they reported it, too.  But I saw on twitter (I know, I know) that they were being slammed for the misinformation.  

Yeah, I remember reading about this but it wasn't in Rolling Stone...a few thoughts:

The Dr never said he worked (on staff) at the hospital that issued that statement. He said he was affiliated with different hospitals (plural). I'm not sure if anyone has checked the different hospitals he's affiliated with to see if what he described was happening at any of them.

Since I didn't read the RS article, I'm curious if it mentions this specific hospital by name, or if the hospital worried that people would think the article was talking about that specific one and they got ahead of that possibility to nip it in the bud.

Stuff like this makes me not take that specific hospital's statement as being all we need to know:

Oklahoma Hospitals Announce Full ICUs As Health Officials Keep Quiet On Bed Capacity

https://www.publicradiotulsa.org/post/oklahoma-hospitals-announce-full-icus-health-officials-keep-quiet-bed-capacity#stream/0

Oklahoma health officials are choosing to keep hospital capacity data under wraps as some of the state’s major health systems announce they have zero ICU beds open.

The Oklahoma State Department of Health held a COVID-19 briefing Thursday, where officials fielded several questions about current hospital and ICU capacity. They provided figures on current COVID-19 hospitalizations and ICU admissions, but didn’t disclose any data showing the number of open beds statewide. Statewide bed vacancies can shift minute by minute, dropping with every new admission and rising with each discharge.

Less than a day after that briefing, four of the state’s major hospital systems — which began coordinated communications and press events weeks ago — issued a release stating they would begin releasing their own ICU bed capacity figures “in an effort to provide transparency.”

Commissioner of Health Lance Frye demurred on questions about the number of open beds on Thursday.

“It’s a very difficult thing to really have a good grasp on,” he said.

**For the record, one of the hospitals that he is affiliated with is Integris. This article mentions that hospital:

"The four health systems issued their joint release Friday afternoon. OU Health, SSM Health St. Anthony, INTEGRIS Health and Mercy all reported that they have no ICU beds. They also announced they would be offering these figures and other data independently every Monday, Wednesday and and Friday."

And this:

State's hospital capacity data shows ICU beds available while several Oklahoma City-area hospitals publicly say they have none

https://beatricedailysun.com/news/national/oklahoma-hospital-capacity-data-show-icu-beds-available-but-several-oklahoma-city-area-hospitals-publicly/article_78a09c1d-eca4-5ec2-8422-8a31c1c5753f.html

(This also mentions Integris)

State Health Commissioner Lance Frye on Thursday afternoon acknowledged that the state had hospital capacity data despite not making it public again until Monday. Three days earlier, Oklahoma City-area hospital systems had banded together “to provide transparency” by publishing their own point-in-time capacity data — with bleak snapshots so far.

In each of their three updates since Aug. 27, INTEGRIS Health, Mercy and SSM Health St. Anthony reported having zero ICU beds available. OU Health each time has reported no more available beds for COVID patients.

Some inpatients in Oklahoma are being transferred out of state, including as far as South Dakota, to find an ICU bed.

So it's possible that both the doctor and Northeastern are telling the truth. Their statement didn't come across as "he's lying" (although saying he hasn't worked here in months alludes to that conclusion), it's more like "He's not talking about us"---which, at least from the ones I read--and again did not read the Rolling Stone article--he doesn't mention which hospitals he's referring to. He mentions talking to colleagues, but doesn't say which hospital they work with.