Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread (Same Day Edition): WFT vs. Dallas II

KDawg

I remember all those years when we just couldn't seem to convert those third and short running plays. That key one against the Saints a few years back (2017) where we got stopped and Brees brought them back comes to mind.

Seems like this season we are picking those up all the time now. 

Did anybody notice that the gunner released and was WIDE OPEN on that fake punt?  lol   Danny Johnson got caught in no-man's land covering 2 people. The punter underneath and  #26 over the top, and he's waving for the ball.  And Cedrick Wilson is standing back there with 10 yards of room to think about it. 

10 minutes ago, justice98 said:

Did anybody notice that the gunner released and was WIDE OPEN on that fake punt?  lol   Danny Johnson got caught in no-man's land covering 2 people. The punter underneath and  #26 over the top.  And Cedrick Wilson is standing back there with 10 yards of room to think about it. 

You can’t run a end around on a fake punt. End around are supposed to confuse fast defenses. When you are punting it takes time for the defense to figure out you are faking it... with an end around you already did the misdirection no one saw and your still deep in the back field when the defense knows what’s crackin 

1 hour ago, Ashburn Dave said:

This team is at a crossroad.  One direction is talking high draft picks and continuing the losing.  The other direction is winning, building a good culture and being relevant again.

It's not a hard choice either but this team has sucked for so long the fans only talk draft picks.

The problem is we're 4-7 talking about winning and being relevant like we can see it without a telescope.  lol 

I dont think we're at a crossroads.  The division part is what's screwing everybody's heads up into thinking there's more going on than is actually going on.  It's the same stuff that's always going on.  But because of this ass division, 6 wins could get you a home playoff game. 

26 minutes ago, justice98 said:

The problem is we're 4-7 talking about winning and being relevant like we can see it without a telescope.  lol 

I dont think we're at a crossroads.  The division part is what's screwing everybody's heads up into thinking there's more going on than is actually going on.  It's the same stuff that's always going on.  But because of this ass division, 6 wins could get you a home playoff game. 

I disagree. The team is growing. That’s not normal.

The record is more of the same.

4 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Agree. they lost three games by 7 points combined.  Rivera IMO is a good coach and kyle Smith IMO has done a nice job.

The Steelers game is an interesting one for me.  They don't need to win.  But I want to see them competitive.  The two good teams they played this year they got smoked by -- Rams and Cards.  To see progress, I want to see a competitve game and not get smoked in that one. 

I went back and watched a bit of the game. I can't figure out for the life of me why Holcomb would be graded that high.

He didn't miss assignments from what I saw. But he was slow to fill and late to tackle plenty of times and struggled with block shedding.

That said, I did notice an improvement on him playing downhill. He was in on tackles closer to the LoS than usual.

An 86.2 is way too high of a grade for him. But he is a starting caliber backer and I'd love to keep him on the outside moving forward. 

7 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I think it's masked by the level of competition. We're literally playing the only teams in the league worse than us.  There's only one of those teams left, so we'll see if we maintain this growth when actual non-JV teams show up. Not that they have to win, not at all, but will they still look like they're headed in the right direction.  We played tough teams early, didn't look so good.  Then the dregs of the league showed up and not coincidentally, we looked better.  Is that growth necessarily?  We'll find out.

Just now, justice98 said:

I think it's masked by the level of competition. We're literally playing the only teams in the league worse than us.  There's only one of those teams left, so we'll see if we maintain this growth when actual non-JV teams show up. Not that they have to win, not at all, but will they still look like they're headed in the right direction.  We played tough teams early, didn't look so good.  Then the dregs of the league showed up and not coincidentally, we looked better.  Is that growth necessarily?  We'll find out.

I don't think it's masked.

I think most of us are fully aware of who we're beating. But the thing is... we're beating them. 

This team isn't there yet. We have way too many holes and a very long way to go. Anyone thinking the team has turned around and is now a Super Bowl contender is living in lala land. But I don't think anyone really thinks that.

The way I measure growth is simple, and it's the same way I look at guys I coach...

I look at where you started.

I look at changes being made to the way things are done.

I look for improvement in process and execution.

When I see this team I see a team who has made many changes as the season has went on.

Dwayne Haskins -> Kyle Allen (injury) -> Alex Smith = Improvement

Gibson = started with a lack of vision and really poor pass pro. Vision has improved weekly. Pass pro has taken a huge leap recently.

Wright/Sims = Developing and seeing more play time than they were earlier. Inman is still seeing the field but has snaps eaten. 

Martin -> Schweitzer = Improvement

Moses has taken a large leap.

Scherff is playing much better this year. As is Roullier. 

Christian/Lucas were better than expected.

(OL still has issues).

Apke -> Everett -> Reaves = This speaks for itself. Bench the guy who isn't as effective. Reaves, a PS player basically, comes in and plays really well.

Collins (injury) -> Curl = Improvement. Granted, Collins was only "benched" due to injury. But Curl's play is still an upgrade.

Our corners are better than most people expected.

Scott Turner has went from awful to okay to promising with head scratchers.

And most important: You see the team is buying in. They are still 4-7. They know they are 4-7. But the way these guys respond every week shows that they believe in the regime in place.

It's an improved team in my opinion.

But we were bottom of the barrel. So improvement doesn't mean that they are world beaters. It just means they are better. 

3 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

All I can figure on the fake punt was it was supposed to be a pass to the wide open receiver. Regardless it was an idiotic decision at that point in the game.

Yeah, Danny Johnson (right?) kept his eyes in the backfield, saw that it was a pass and went into coverage mold, making them hold the pass so he could get hit.

What happened to that Dallas fan, who took out a gun and shot his wide screen HDTV, as it shattered to the floor after an embarrassing loss a few weeks ago ?

Wonder how he celebrated this game.

I remember posted TK posted a video of it in ATN Game Thread a while back

Oh here it is

https://www.instagram.com/p/CGkiyC-AsYr/?utm_source=ig_embed

The reality is the team is still 4-7 and outside of being in an awful division, our excitement level would be a lot less, however we have also been on the flipside of games like this where two mediocre teams play and the WFT is the one that gets blown out by the end of it.   Still have to remember that this is year 1 of Rivera. He inherited a lot of the mess but is going to come out of it with guys like Gibson & McLaurin to build around, while having a solid veteran QB that can buy the franchise another season or two of either developing Haskins or drafting a QB to sit & learn for a little bit before being thrown into the fire.

On defense, there is a lot of good mixed with plenty of holes to fill, but the progress is there.

15 hours ago, NickyJ said:

That dude Sweat, he looked so average last year. I still can't get over how he, Young, and Kerrigan have turned into the Triad.

I missed the Week 17 Dallas game last year... There was a buzz about Sweat after the game. I finally watched it (in April ). Dude was a maniac that game. They even stole a sack from him on Presscott. I felt like that with so much attention being paid to Young, that Sweat would have a good season. But not even I expected Troy Aikman to say he'll be one of the greats on that pick-six. That was crazy to hear.

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

I went back and watched a bit of the game. I can't figure out for the life of me why Holcomb would be graded that high.

He didn't miss assignments from what I saw. But he was slow to fill and late to tackle plenty of times and struggled with block shedding.

That said, I did notice an improvement on him playing downhill. He was in on tackles closer to the LoS than usual.

An 86.2 is way too high of a grade for him. But he is a starting caliber backer and I'd love to keep him on the outside moving forward. 

The problem is he's too easily confused with Troy Apke.  Troy and Cole both have 4 letters (and both have an "o" and 3 consonants), and both Apke and Holcomb are unnatural combinations of syllables, so you sort of default to their first names.  And since you're not going to confuse them with anyone else on the D (does the rest of the lineup look like their grandfathers were heavy into Blue Oyster Cult in 1975?), you end up thinking Cole is worse than he is because, subconsciously, you're thinking Troy.  The solution is to dock Apke the "o" in his first name and get him to live by it when taking proper angles.

You know what the real truth is?  This 💩 is so much easier to deal with when you bring your grandfather's Godzilla to the game and curb stomp Dallass in Dallass on Thanksstomping.

Love the high I'm on after this game.  This team demolished Dal@ss. Dal@ss went swinging gate and failed to show up instead of the other way around.  Big difference from years past.  Rivera is the reason why they won.  Kept them focused on the short week.  Even it might be short lived, this feeling is AWESOME!  

Archived