Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread (Same Day Edition): WFT vs. Dallas II

KDawg

25 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Did he see any action? Game logs says he didn’t play at all until a couple weeks ago.

On defense?  Not really. 

He's been on special teams since Game 1.  But has only played with the Defense for the past 4 games.  13 total defensive snaps over the last 4 games.

Apke has been giving up far less negative plays, and had about 1 or 2 good ones in recent weeks. I loved how he dealt with Burrow on the goaline and his closeout on a sideways streaking CD Lamb was textbook. His angles have improved, we will see if that improves going forward b/c a safely w/ bad angles is indeed a backbreaker.

Funny comparison was #37 for Dallas last game. Wilson was taking some early Apke level angles in this game, and that sprung Gibby to serious daylight time and time again.

Check out the angles #37 took on Gibby's 2nd and third TD runs.

On both scores Wilson dang near runs a Parabola to reach the ballcarrier. Its not like Gibby was dancing around to make him miss either. He just greatly overestimated his own speed and underestimated Gibson's. That is some grade A horrible anglework right there and its not surprising that you wont catch a 4.3 guy unless you run in a straight line. As long as Apke keeps closing out on defenders in a relatively straight line, and does not overestimate his own speed so badly that he has to wildly adjust course halfway thru, than we are seeing improvement.

There were several plays in this game that saw good anglework from Apke. The closeout on Cooper on their first drive and the failed attempt to stop Pollard running his heart out (where he has to create multiple new angles as the runner is physically adjusted multiple times) come to mind. This is the most concerning part of Apke's game so it is good to see something going on in terms of on the fly mental calculus.

w/o Collins he is also the only real DB capable of bringing a thumping element as Kurl is a reliable wrapper and I have not seen Reeves tackle enough to make that judgement call.

Not saying Apke has been good by any means, but he was horrific, now hes just poor. Positive progress. For now, consistent improvement is all I ask of him.

58 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Did he see any action? Game logs says he didn’t play at all until a couple weeks ago.

He's seen action every single game, at least on Special Teams where he's been a stalwart, which those game logs do not indicate.

And at FS, he backs up Minkah Fitzpatrick. So it's no surprise at all, he didn't see action on defense until about 4 games ago

3 hours ago, Simmsy said:

Can't remember the game (maybe cowboys?) but Doughty had a sweet block and took out two guys at once, I'll have to find a clip of that.

Heck of a play for sure, and yes, it was vs Dallas... good call.  

I liked Doughty, he was just limited in his range/athleticism.  

16 hours ago, FuriousD said:

You see, I see a statement like that and it's just a head-scratcher..

Kyle Smith drafted him

Apke makes the squad though Rivera's transitional year

Jack Del Rio decided to give him a chance to play 

Bottom line is that people who know a lot more about football than YOU (f***ing light years more than you) see potential and are willing to work with a DEVELOPMENTAL player.

If you would like to continue to white knight for Troy Apke be my guest. But stop acting like I am alone in my thoughts that he has been really bad this year because that's simply not the case.  

16 hours ago, Spearfeather said:

On this play in particular, since you used it as an example; Apke is the reason Chase Young was able to make that play. 

Burrow is headed toward the pylon ( with Young three steps to the inside  ), but he sees Apke zeroing in on him at warp speed and Burrow knows he's not going to make it, which forces Burrow back to the inside, where Young almost decapitates him.

Apke actually helps make this play.

LOL By whiffing on Burrow Apke is now getting credit?

You guys are just too much some time.  

3 hours ago, Califan007 said:

That's a terrible take...makes it seem like either you don't understand football very well or you don't understand English very well. Take your pick.

Again I am hardly the only one here to notice that Apke whiffed on Burrow. Sure his presence caused Burrow to cut inside but that's hardly the same as actually making a play.  Had Chase not made a fantastic play the talk would be how Apke missed a QB in the open field.   

Again I have no idea why I need to defend my position that Troy Apke is a weak link that needs to be replaced.  Seems pretty obvious to me and a few games without giving up a big pass (a part of that was his demotion) does not change any of this.  

4 hours ago, Califan007 said:

That's a terrible take...makes it seem like either you don't understand football very well or you don't understand English very well. Take your pick.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but it sounds to me like you both are saying the same thing, that apke is bad and that he shouldn’t get the credit for that chase young hit on burrow. 

So where’s the argument.....?

1 hour ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Again I am hardly the only one here to notice that Apke whiffed on Burrow. Sure his presence caused Burrow to cut inside but that's hardly the same as actually making a play.  Had Chase not made a fantastic play the talk would be how Apke missed a QB in the open field.   

Stop that video at the 10 second mark and then look at it and tell us who you see that you think is going to keep Burrow from getting to the pylon. 

Chase Young maybe, maybe, ... but its going to be close.

On 11/28/2020 at 4:57 PM, London Kev said:

I love watching fan reaction videos, but those two cowboy fans were just too nice. Almost made me want to give them a hug....... almost.

This one really, really needs a hug.

https://dailycaller.com/2020/10/21/dallas-cowboys-fan-shooting-tv-cardinals-loss/

2 hours ago, ClaytoAli said:

I just had 4 pages of crying and snot dripping laughter at cowturd fans expense on the cowturdszone dot com.

Oh the joy of reading their reactions to the failed fake punt, pure typing gold.

I can post the link if it’s ok.

Please share. Pretty sure it's ok, as it's been done quite a bit, with no negative response

23 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but it sounds to me like you both are saying the same thing, that apke is bad and that he shouldn’t get the credit for that chase young hit on burrow. 

So where’s the argument.....?

Apke's approach to Burrow forced him to go back inside where Apke's teammates could contain Burrow if Apke couldn't tackle him (which he didn't). if he doesn't do that and still whiffs, it's a guaranteed TD.

There are always dozens of times each season where you'll hear announcers criticize a defensive player for not forcing a free runner to turn back in towards the field for that very reason. So it's not crediting Apke for missing a tackle...

8 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Apke's approach to Burrow forced him to go back inside where Apke's teammates could contain Burrow if Apke couldn't tackle him (which he didn't). if he doesn't do that and still whiffs, it's a guaranteed TD.

There are always dozens of times each season where you'll hear announcers criticize a defensive player for not forcing a free runner to turn back in towards the field for that very reason. So it's not crediting Apke for missing a tackle...

Yeah, which i think the other guy is also saying. You’re both saying the same thing, that he shouldn’t get credit for a missed tackle. so again i ask, where’s the argument? 

Archived