Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

6 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

the Halo campaigns are fantastic first person shooters. I’ve probably played thru 1-4 and Reach a hundred times. The gameplay is buttery smooth, the level design is fantastic, the mechanics are just solids. Halo revolves around what they call the holy trinity guns, grenades, and melee. It’s simple and but effective. Then they mix in crazy vehicular combat and you just feel like a badass all the time. The weapon balance is pretty good as I can find use for all the human and covenant weapons. personally I really love the Halo sci-fi lore and story. 1 is fairly straightforward but 2 expands the lore in a ton of ways. The Anniversary edition of 2 is also stunning. one of my favorite series. The campaigns hold up extremely well still and are a lot of fun with a good storyline. 5 drops the ball on story and level design tho so it’s a bit disappointing but the gameplay is still fantastic. It should also be said Halo 1-3 have arguably the best soundtrack of any game. 

gears is very different. It’s a third person shooter cover based game created by somebody that thought it up while playing paintball and was ducked behind cover with paintballs spraying in front of him and over his head. That’s what this game is. It’s crazy intense. The cover system works like a dream and the firefights never let up and always play out differently due to the various cover opportunities, your AI, squad mates, and the quality of the AI enemies make it a lot of fun. Its a darker grittier game set in a fictional planet Sera where after decades of humans fighting over the planets greatest natural resource, holes formed in the ground and out of Them poured the locust horde, a monstrous race hell bent on the destruction of humanity. This game has blood, guts, chainsawing enemies in half, mother ****s dropped when your character jams his gun after you **** up a reload etc. the campaign of 1 is dark and dips into some horror to elements as it introduces the player to the various locust creatures. The others are more action packed but the series deserves its classic status. These firefights are unlike anything else I’ve played before and while I don’t think the story is as deep as halo, it’s still really good if you are into that type of stuff.

Gears does a really good job making you feel like you are fighting in a massive planet altering war too. halo is Much more singularly focused on the master chief and how he is leading the fight to save the galaxy. 

Halo and Gears blow COD campaigns out of the water with their story and gameplay imo. COD can make you feel like a soldier. These make you feel like you are the legendary savior of humanity that you are. 

ive only really played far cry 3 and I loved it but the others just felt like more of the same and by the time 4, primal, 5 etc came out I was getting burnt out on Ubisoft open worlds so I passed. 

Wow awesome info. I’m debating snagging Master Chief Collection at some point 

Gears doesn’t appear to have much available for PC. I kind of want the full experience :ols:

Y’all are some Gs starting this joint in max difficulty. I would up mine if I could but I went for the old ‘Test how to break it on normal then go for max difficulty’ routine 

Quick hacking seems like it’s gonna be my thing but I’m not even out of the tutorial yet 

3 hours ago, KDawg said:

Wow awesome info. I’m debating snagging Master Chief Collection at some point 

Gears doesn’t appear to have much available for PC. I kind of want the full experience :ols:

yeah Gears 2-3 are missing on PC. Definitely check them out if you get the XSX down the road. Gears 2 introduced a separate mode called horde which is just taking on wave after wave of increasingly difficult AI enemies. It’s fun co-op but I still

play it solo and think it’s an awesome, challenging way to spend a couple hours. Trying to get to wave 50 on the various maps and the different strategies involved is fun. It’s in every one after too. 

cashing in on that, Halo ODST added firefight which is a similar concept into both ODST and Reach which are DLC for Master Chief Collection. ODST firefight is hard. Reach is easier since you are a Spartan and don’t have health packs plus you have other abilities and Reach Has more customizable option. You can set the waves to endless and just go for high scores too. 

It’s a ton of fun and adds solo replayability to each outside of campaign 

I don’t know it y’all noticed this already or not but for Cyberpunk film grain and chromatic aberration are turned on by default. Film grain is kinda cool I guess but I don’t like it on personally. Chromatic aberration is something I don’t really get the thrill of either but whatevs. 

Turning those off made the game just look amazing to me. 

mat the same time there is, on PS5, this HRD mode that is deflated to off for some reason. Turn that **** on if your display can handle it. 

Also if any of you PC players are having a hard time with ray tracing AND 60 FPS still there is an option found that seems to make that very stable now. If you need it holla and I’ll see if I can find the name of it again (I was drunk when I found the video so I didn’t post my bad) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, KDawg said:

As someone who has only played a small part of Halo... or any real Xbox shooter...

Hows the single player experience on games like Halo (Master Chief Collection), Gears, FarCry, etc?

I like shooters but find the only ones I ever play are CoD :ols:

I care about the story. More than multiplayer for sure. If I want multiplayer shooters I play cod or Fortnite (because of my son, I do actually enjoy it but I wouldn’t be playing if he didn’t love that game)

I played through Gears 1-3 back on 360 and never bothered with 4.  Gears 1 and 2 were fantastic.  Single player was fun and online was great.  Horde mode in 2 was an incredible addition at the time.  Gears 3 the single player was okay but I remember not getting into online because it just was more of the same and I was kind of burnt out of those games.  

So that made me never bother with 4.

But when I got my XSX I got Gears 5 and holy **** it's awesome.  It may be just because it feels new to me but it's like non-stop balls to the wall combat once it gets going.  The weapons are cool too.  I find it harder to see what is going on in battle sometimes than I remember in the older games, almost like they put more crap on the screen when you are taking damage and it's harder to see, and the enemies blend in with your teammates more than I remember too.  But that doesn't take away at all from the game it's awesome.

I will say though, it feels basically identical to Gears 1 from a gameplay point of view.  So there isn't much innovation in these games IMO and that is why I got bored with 3 because it didn't feel any different.  But this feels fresh and the graphics are awesome on it too.

I also bought Halo 5 and Doom Eternal but I haven't opened those yet.  I got all 3 of these games from BB on Black Friday for $35 total.

2 hours ago, Llevron said:

I don’t know it y’all noticed this already or not but for Cyberpunk film grain and chromatic aberration are turned on by default. Film grain is kinda cool I guess but I don’t like it on personally. Chromatic aberration is something I don’t really get the thrill of either but whatevs. 

Turning those off made the game just look amazing to me. 

mat the same time there is, on PS5, this HRD mode that is deflated to off for some reason. Turn that **** on if your display can handle it. 

So THATS what's going on. I've been tinkering like a mug with all my visual settings, tryingvto figure out why everything looked so smoky and strange. I mean I know PS4 is getting the short end of the stick, but some if this **** is just off by a ton

38 minutes ago, KDawg said:

One more question:

Uncharted: Nathan Drake Collection (1,2,3) and I have 4 which I never finished but intend to...

Or Horizon Zero Dawn?

Yes 👍

you guys generally have decent opinions on stuff... aside from bootleg Elder scrolls games.

I choose not to take offense to this.

• Haha 4

54 minutes ago, KDawg said:

One more question:

Uncharted: Nathan Drake Collection (1,2,3) and I have 4 which I never finished but intend to...

Or Horizon Zero Dawn?

you guys generally have decent opinions on stuff... aside from bootleg Elder scrolls games.

I didn’t play Uncharted yet, have heard great things. But a bit more dated at this point.

HZD is a top 5 single player game for me of all time 🤷🏻‍♂️ it’s the whole package and a refreshing concept 

1 hour ago, Mr. Sinister said:

So THATS what's going on. I've been tinkering like a mug with all my visual settings, tryingvto figure out why everything looked so smoky and strange. I mean I know PS4 is getting the short end of the stick, but some if this **** is just off by a ton

So I turned off film grain and chromatic whatever, and also disabled HDR. Looks a lot better. The graphics settings are busted on base PS4

4 minutes ago, LLandryistheshiz said:

I didn’t play Uncharted yet, have heard great things. But a bit more dated at this point.

HZD is a top 5 single player game for me of all time 🤷🏻‍♂️ it’s the whole package and a refreshing concept 

I love the Uncharted games. It’s been so long I don’t remember them at all. Literally. They remastered them for the collection I guess and puzzle games are up there with shooters and sports games for my favorites. 

Open world type games, single player campaigns in shooters, CoD for multiplayer, puzzles...

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

One more question:

Or Horizon Zero Dawn?

Those games are nothing a like.

Uncharted is really cinematic and completely story driven and linear.

HZD is open world.

I personally couldn't get into HZD I tried multiple times.  I am not really into open world games in general though I only like a handful of them.  I felt like there was too much crap to control in HZD and it was cumbersome, and a lot of the tools/weapons seemed cool in concept but in actuality they were not nearly as cool.

Uncharted gets a bit stale though.  I never even finished 4 because I got bored of it.  Nothing really changes between games at all.  I think part 2 was probably the best one because it fixed some graphical issues with part 1 (screen tearing up the ass) and it still felt fresh. 

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

One more question:

Or Horizon Zero Dawn?

I love all the Uncharted games. Good mix of action and puzzles. 
#4 takes a while to get going but once it does it's a fun game.
I have never played Horizon Zero dawn.

Has anyone played the new Avengers game? I have a feeling Santa is dropping that on me.

~Bang

8 minutes ago, Bang said:

Has anyone played the new Avengers game? I have a feeling Santa is dropping that on me.

~Bang

I was waiting on it, but it seemed a bit more loot grind/co-op focused than what I'm usually looking for. I still plan on checking it out at some point though. By all accounts, the campaign is wonderful. 

12 minutes ago, Bang said:

I love all the Uncharted games. Good mix of action and puzzles. 
#4 takes a while to get going but once it does it's a fun game.
I have never played Horizon Zero dawn.

~Bang

I like it. Repetitive enemies for sure but it’s a looter. You get character levels and power levels. 

Current roster:

Cap

Thor

Ms.Marvel

Black Widow

Iron Man

Hulk

Kate Bishop 

Hawkeye is next. 

You can buy cosmetics or save the currency you earn from doing daily/weeklies for each character to unlock the challenge card for new characters.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I like it. Repetitive enemies for sure but it’s a looter. You get character levels and power levels. 

Current roster:

Cap

Thor

Ms.Marvel

Black Widow

Iron Man

Hulk

Kate Bishop 

Hawkeye is next. 

You can buy cosmetics or save the currency you earn from doing daily/weeklies for each character to unlock the challenge card for new characters.

Is it possible to play single player or is it an mmo type deal?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

So I turned off film grain and chromatic whatever, and also disabled HDR. Looks a lot better. The graphics settings are busted on base PS4

Wait so HDR was on by default on the PS4?? lmao they torpedoed this **** themselves! 

5 minutes ago, bearrock said:

Is it possible to play single player or is it an mmo type deal?

I only play single player. Campaign is only single. 

after that you do “Avengers Initiative” which is an online mode but you can disable playing with others. I got it on release and play in small doses.

Its good but right now the content doesn’t support a non stop play whenever style. 

It has a few bugs. 

But you can play with others or solo. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Current roster:

Cap

Thor

Ms.Marvel

Black Widow

Iron Man

Hulk

Kate Bishop 

Hawkeye is next. 

Dude you really need to try Destiny 2. It’s even free up to a certain point. Just give it a try. 

4 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I’ve heard you need to play with others to do anything remotely exciting...

Not really they have plenty of solo stuff. 

I prefer not to play with others whenever possible. Though there is one activity, a raid with 6 people, that you need to play with others for. Outside of that you can do list of it solo. And if you can’t there is matchmaking and you don’t even have to talk to them.