Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

3 hours ago, KDawg said:

Started Red Dead 2 last night. Played for at most an hour... but I was pretty unimpressed with the gameplay. Graphics are beautiful. Voices are crisp...

But the hold X, tap X for 8 minutes at a time, get somewhere and look around for stuff but it’s not clear what you’re looking for so walk around tapping the pick up button around everything mechanic is kind of lackluster. 

Horse riding is clunky feeling from a controller standpoint. 

Does it get better? First impression is that I don’t want to waste more time on this one. I picked up God of War III Remastered and Horizon Zero Dawn Complete for dirt cheap and I think I’d rather play those than waste time on RDR2

It gets better in that you get used to it. The gameplay never really speeds up. It's slow and methodical by design almost like a Western sim. I would say the snow area you start in is the worst part of the game hands down. once it opens up a bit and you've had time to adjust to various gameplay systems, it becomes a lot of fun. I wasn't a fan of it at first but it grew on me. The early area isn't really representative of the rest of the game. 

I got to the point where I would just enjoy heading back to camp after a day of hunting and settling down with some coffee by the campfire listening to stories or singing a song. A lot of thought went into the details of this game. Heading into the mountains and packing extra food, or warm clothes while i hunt elk or bears or look for wild horses, camping out by a frozen lake all alone, getting into trouble, uncovering mysteries out in the swamps etc. Once the game opens up after this tutorial you have a lot of freedom to really explore and the game doesn't feel as restrictive which helps with the frustration felt in the early area. 

The gunplay is well done and the story is fantastic. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

It gets better in that you get used to it. The gameplay never really speeds up. It's slow and methodical by design almost like a Western sim. I would say the snow area you start in is the worst part of the game hands down. once it opens up a bit and you've had time to adjust to various gameplay systems, it becomes a lot of fun. I wasn't a fan of it at first but it grew on me. The early area isn't really representative of the rest of the game. 

I got to the point where I would just enjoy heading back to camp after a day of hunting and settling down with some coffee by the campfire listening to stories or singing a song. A lot of thought went into the details of this game. Heading into the mountains and packing extra food, or warm clothes while i hunt elk or bears or look for wild horses, camping out by a frozen lake all alone, getting into trouble, uncovering mysteries out in the swamps etc. Once the game opens up after this tutorial you have a lot of freedom to really explore and the game doesn't feel as restrictive which helps with the frustration felt in the early area. 

The gunplay is well done and the story is fantastic. 

So the best part of the game is stuff I can do in real life?

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

So the best part of the game is stuff I can do in real life?

I mean...can you live as an outlaw cowboy now because that's what this game is. A western outlaw simulation where you can do whatever you want where you are tasked with being part of a gang where you have to contribute money, food, and supplies to help everyone. The means that you find these things are up to you. All this wrapped up in the video game story version of Goodfellas. 

tie someone up and feed them to alligators?  Rob a stage coach and sell it at a fence?  Get drunk at a bar and get into a fist fight after you insult someone?  Commit a crime and have to chase down and physically threaten or beat a witness to keep silent? Spend hours hunting animals or tracking a wild horse? Play cards all night long then shoot everyone at the table when you lose? 

I don't know, if you ever had a western fantasy as a kid, this is the game to live it. It's a lot of fun. Or if you like massive beautifully detailed worlds with an insane amount of freedom with a great story. You'll get used to the gameplay, it just feels grounded and less arcadey than you are used to. After that, it feels amazing and I wish more games were like it. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I mean...can you live as an outlaw cowboy now because that's what this game is. A western outlaw simulation where you can do whatever you want where you are tasked with being part of a gang where you have to contribute money, food, and supplies to help everyone. The means that you find these things are up to you. All this wrapped up in the video game story version of Goodfellas. 

tie someone up and feed them to alligators?  Rob a stage coach and sell it at a fence?  Get drunk at a bar and get into a fist fight after you insult someone?  Commit a crime and have to chase down and physically threaten or beat a witness to keep silent? Spend hours hunting animals or tracking a wild horse? Play cards all night long then shoot everyone at the table when you lose? 

I don't know, if you ever had a western fantasy as a kid, this is the game to live it. It's a lot of fun. Or if you like massive beautifully detailed worlds with an insane amount of freedom with a great story. You'll get used to the gameplay, it just feels grounded and less arcadey than you are used to. After that, it feels amazing and I wish more games were like it. 

I appreciate the review. It just feels so different from RDR1 that it’s jarring and I’m not sure how I feel about it. I don’t particularly care for shaving, fishing, or milking cows in a game. The other stuff sounds fun.

26 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I appreciate the review. It just feels so different from RDR1 that it’s jarring and I’m not sure how I feel about it. I don’t particularly care for shaving, fishing, or milking cows in a game. The other stuff sounds fun.

You don't have to do those things. You'll just have a big bushy beard and long hair lol. And i don't think you even need to provide food for your gang but you get benefits to doing these things. So while it doesn't have things like skill trees and leveling, it is very much an RPG in terms of just putting you into a role and letting you live that character within this world. 

I'll go ahead and say I agree 100% with the above. I was initially thrown off/disliked the snow level but the game eventually becomes fantastic. Even though I never got to the point I was spending a bunch of time hunting or providing food, the fact that you can basically do whatever you want was pretty awesome.

The biggest problem I had with RDR2 was the fact that it is so long - which would have been a good thing at a different time in my life. Life got in the way and I'm at the point now where I will need to start over because I've forgotten so much about the story and what I need to be doing. I'm definitely going to find time to make sure I finish it at some point though.

1 hour ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

You don't have to do those things. You'll just have a big bushy beard and long hair lol. And i don't think you even need to provide food for your gang but you get benefits to doing these things. So while it doesn't have things like skill trees and leveling, it is very much an RPG in terms of just putting you into a role and letting you live that character within this world. 

9 minutes ago, Heisenberg said:

I'll go ahead and say I agree 100% with the above. I was initially thrown off/disliked the snow level but the game eventually becomes fantastic. Even though I never got to the point I was spending a bunch of time hunting or providing food, the fact that you can basically do whatever you want was pretty awesome.

The biggest problem I had with RDR2 was the fact that it is so long - which would have been a good thing at a different time in my life. Life got in the way and I'm at the point now where I will need to start over because I've forgotten so much about the story and what I need to be doing. I'm definitely going to find time to make sure I finish it at some point though.

I'll keep it and slowly move through it while playing other games, I guess. 

I just don't see myself gravitating towards it like I did with God of War or even Jedi Fallen Order. I couldn't wait to get to the next part of the story with those games.

Red Dead just doesn't feel right. 

I realize it's a prequel to RDR1 but the fact that I'm some schlub who I don't care about while my dude Marsten is right there is a tough look, too. 

RDR2 was an amazing game...but damn do I wish there was a bit more ability to change the outcome of things or at least have a bit more control during important events.  Also the game is so dark and depressing at times.  I really liked having the after game portion, 

Spoiler

though it was a bit depressing too, knowing what happens at the end of the first game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

I realize it's a prequel to RDR1 but the fact that I'm some schlub who I don't care about while my dude Marsten is right there is a tough look, too. 

I had this same thought too. I didn't like Arthur at all but by the end I thought he's one of the 5 best video game characters ever. I ended up liking him way more than Marston in 1. But it sets up 1 really well. 

It's hard to compare to GOW because that is a fairly linear and straightforward, focused game. This you can **** around for weeks with whatever you want to do and then go back to the story. That said, the story is incredible so by the time you get later into the game its a struggle deciding if you want to do something else or find out what happens next

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

I felt the exact opposite. Never liked Marsten. Dude whined his way through the entirely of RDR1. Arthur > John.

Spoiler

Still haven't played the post game story because of my dislike of Marsten.

Edited by clietas

5 minutes ago, clietas said:

I felt the exact opposite. Never liked Marsten. Dude whined his way through the entirely of RDR1. Arthur > John.

How dare you.

I think I’m gonna try to go straight through on missions and if I happen to do other stuff, great. 

I like advancing the story so being able to shave my balls with a single blade razor isn’t an important aspect of gameplay to me. 

Edited by KDawg
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

I'll keep it and slowly move through it while playing other games, I guess. 

I just don't see myself gravitating towards it like I did with God of War or even Jedi Fallen Order. I couldn't wait to get to the next part of the story with those games.

Red Dead just doesn't feel right. 

I've tried RDR2 like 3 times. After the struggle to get thru the beginning, it just feels like a horse riding simulator. Like..okay cool I'll go check this place out...ride the horse for 10 min. do whatever, then ride the horse another 10min back. At least with the AC games, you just mark a place on the map and the horse goes there automatically. 

8 minutes ago, clietas said:

Same really for RDR2. On PC/XB1 switch the camera view to cinematic n then hold down the A button. Horse will then go to the destination on its own. 

I hate you. God I hope I lost the discs to that game lol. Now I'm going to start over again. 

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, clietas said:

Same really for RDR2. On PC/XB1 switch the camera view to cinematic n then hold down the A button. Horse will then go to the destination on its own. 

Do I have to hold the button down the whole time or just for a moment? I’d like to clean my house, maybe get a full chest workout in during the travel.

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I hate anybody that loves AC

#TeamClietas

I own a few of the AC games. Free games from XBL I think. Only ever played a little of the first tho. 

I love Greek mythology and really wanted to play Odyssey. I remember reading one of your posts about it being a real grind towards the end. Still hesitant on trying that one out.

52 minutes ago, clietas said:

I own a few of the AC games. Free games from XBL I think. Only ever played a little of the first tho. 

I love Greek mythology and really wanted to play Odyssey. I remember reading one of your posts about it being a real grind towards the end. Still hesitant on trying that one out.

Give it a try. I enjoyed it alot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, clietas said:

Damn game broke my soul

• Sad 1