Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

10 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Makes me wonder if Detroit will give Stafford some say in where he wants to be dealt? They may feel like they owe him that much and maybe that was part of the mutual agreement.

If this is the case then it could come down to a contract extension to wet his whistle so to speak....

Stafford's agent is in the loop regarding trade negotiations. If I'm recalling correctly, Stafford has earned near $230,000,000 in his career.

I don't think money is going to be a sticking point at all.

It's funny how peoples perspective on compensation for stafford has changed.  He is still the same qb with the same attributes and the same track record.  I got a lot of push back when I said I'd give up 19 overall for stafford a month ago, but now it seems more people are willing to give up even more than that.  Just curious, what's changed in the last month?  Is it just excitement bc he is now officially available?  Or did ppl just get more excited about him the more they dug into him?

49 minutes ago, RWJ said:

So what would be overspending as far as draft picks for Stafford to those on ES?

I’ve had #19 on the table for 2 weeks :ols:

I’d loathe giving away next years #1 as well, not sure what it will take. We will find out today I think. Keep in mind, Detroit only have 5 picks this year. 

However, it’s a franchise QB on offer for the next 3-4 years at least. I mean, you’re either in or you aren’t.

Colts seem the front runner to me. Interesting that Rivers just announced his retirement. Coincidence or not?

Got to be willing to go #19 plus a third, minimum.

Think I’d even go #19 and our second if I got their third back. Maybe. Keep next years picks. Must also be confident we can add 2 other pieces in free agency.

4 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

It's funny how peoples perspective on compensation for stafford has changed.  He is still the same qb with the same attributes and the same track record.  I got a lot of push back when I said I'd give up 19 overall for stafford a month ago, but now it seems more people are willing to give up even more than that.  Just curious, what's changed in the last month?  Is it just excitement bc he is now officially available?  Or did ppl just get more excited about him the more they dug into him?

Not from me. That would be a steal.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

I think the situation is different and I think Stafford has proven to be an upper tier QB. The team is also built to win now with a boatload of cheap, rookie contracts whereas back then there were no rookie caps. I think this particular scenario is more looking to take advantage of the strengths we have as opposed to just going on a shopping spree to fix all our issues.

We arent built to win now no team thats 7-9 is built to win now, we have no depth on the offensive side of the football outside of running back....

7 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Colts seem the front runner to me. Interesting that Rivers just announced his retirement. Coincidence or not?

I think the national sports media views him as a favorite but not sure that's real world especially with all the teams that will be involved.  There's been really nothing concrete reported other then opinions.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

I was more against it than for it in the beginning......but the more I read about him and the quote I heard on the Macafee show "what are the odds of getting a franchise QB over the next three years picking in the first round, pretty low." Now factor in picking in the middle of the first round over those three years because our D is so dominate. Is two 1st rounders a bad move for Stafford, or four 1st rounders for Watson? You get a franchise QB for at least four years......tough call. I was against the trade for RGIII because he was an unknown, Stafford and Watson are top tier QBs, **** it pull the trigger.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

We arent built to win now no team thats 7-9 is built to win now, we have no depth on the offensive side of the football outside of running back....

The window requires a bit of foresight, but if you remove the magnifying glass there just may be some room for an altered point of view. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

This is interesting.  I also was against giving up a first a month ago but am now for it.  I suppose it is the excitement.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, tmandoug1 said:

I was more against it than for it in the beginning......but the more I read about him and the quote I heard on the Macafee show "what are the odds of getting a franchise QB over the next three years picking in the first round, pretty low." Now factor in picking in the middle of the first round over those three years because our D is so dominate. Is two 1st rounders a bad move for Stafford, or four 1st rounders for Watson? You get a franchise QB for at least four years......tough call. I was against the trade for RGIII because he was an unknown, Stafford and Watson are top tier QBs, **** it pull the trigger.

I admit, I was all about the rg3 trade.  I wasn't a huge fan of the AS trade, and I didn't like giving up KF, but I was ok with it, and more supportive of the move than most.  All for the reasoning you mentioned above, getting a franchise qb is so hard.  You have to be aggressive to try to nail it.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

4 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

I'm not giving four for anyone. You can offer me Mahomes and I wont take that deal. Injuries happen.

I'd give 3 for Watson tho. RG3 Deal that dude.

We spent four 1sts in a row, and hit on all 4, to build our DL. And that DL dragged us to 7-9. You don’t think Watson would have provided as much impact? 

Fans here massively undervalue the impact of elite QB play and massively overvalue draft picks. It’s PTSD from years of Vinnie throwing away picks on veterans and drafting poorly. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

I admit, I was all about the rg3 trade.  I wasn't a huge fan of the AS trade, and I didn't like giving up KF, but I was ok with it, and more supportive of the move than most.  All for the reasoning you mentioned above, getting a franchise qb is so hard.  You have to be aggressive to try to nail it.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

I was all for all the trades. DMac, RG3, Smith. It doesn't work. The final 4 QBs was used as an example. Not one trade and they sat. Grow your QB.

We're not the loser team we were and now have a real organization and we'll figure it out.

Stafford 2020 highlights are dime city. Love that some of his biggest plays are after a play breaks down. Always looking downfield. He’s a master in the redzone, putting the ball in tight spots where only his receiver can get them. He also takes chances, and our receivers are going to need to learn to be ready to catch a ball from him any time, in any place on the field.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Anselmheifer said:

We spent four 1sts in a row, and hit on all 4, to build our DL. And that DL dragged us to 7-9. You don’t think Watson would have provided as much impact? 

Fans here massively undervalue the impact of elite QB play and massively overvalue draft picks. It’s PTSD from years of Vinnie throwing away picks on veterans and drafting poorly. 

I think a QB like Watson could have even more of an impact than our 4 D-linemen. Dude is special.

But this is the NFL and its a violent game. There has to be a limit to how many eggs you can put in a basket b/c at anytime, a QB can get injured. Even worse if its one of those "He'll never be the same" injuries. With less high end draft picks, it will be even harder to protect him and put pieces around him moving forward, so you are placing even more weight on the players shoulders.

I don't think I could give up 4 1s to bank on a guy's health, even if the talent available is worth it. If a guy is special I will take the risk of 3, but 4 is where I would have to draw the line.

45 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

I’m still not on board. I don’t think the team is as close as we think and I unfortunately expect a regression next year.