Jump to content
Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for 2021???


Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

226 members have voted

  1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

    • Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

    • Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
      0
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
      0
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2


Recommended Posts

38 minutes ago, Wayne_Millner said:

I feel like the Texans sent that out deliberately towards Washington. They want to trade with the NFC. But, this is the beginning of the negotiation. Washington could come back and say, “No. two firsts. A second and two thirds and a fifth.”

 

Houston scoffs. Eventually, something in the middle is agreed upon. 
 

Maybe two firsts. A second. Two thirds and Payne. 
 

Honestly, it’s gonna be difficult retaining all these D-Linemen anyway as their rookie deals start coming to an end. 

 

Agreed, keeping the dline together with Matt jus seems greedy. And we will regret not getting a QB while they are all here if we don't get one.  Trade Ionnidas now so we don't have to lose Allen or Payne.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

 

Agreed, keeping the dline together with Matt jus seems greedy. And we will regret not getting a QB while they are all here if we don't get one.  Trade Ionnidas now so we don't have to lose Allen or Payne.

Texans wont want Ion coming off an injury, if you're going to trade one they will want either Payne or Allen(I'd assume Payne because he still has some time left on the rookie deal).  If we're not going to trade any of our DL for a qb, I'd love to see if we could get a 1st or 2nd out of Jon Allen before the draft.  He's a great player and leader, but we're not going to be able to keep the whole DL together...get value while you can.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, thelongestbreath said:

Texans wont want Ion coming off an injury, if you're going to trade one they will want either Payne or Allen(I'd assume Payne because he still has some time left on the rookie deal).  If we're not going to trade any of our DL for a qb, I'd love to see if we could get a 1st or 2nd out of Jon Allen before the draft.  He's a great player and leader, but we're not going to be able to keep the whole DL together...get value while you can.

 

I'm not buying Texans position of power in this negotiation.   And wasn't this Matt's first time getting hurt like that?  It happens, beggers can't be choosers, Watson holds the cards here, not his front office.  At least try the offer, hes a pro bowl player, again, injuries happen.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

What instances can you recall? Just curious because I don't remember him failing miserably. 

 

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

I don't think Settle has ever started has he?

Settle comes in when Kerrigan comes in. The 3rd period is when they shine. It's such a weird part of the game and has no bearing on the final quarter. 

 

Settle never draws a double, gets pushed back constantly. Terrible against the run, but does get some sacks. He's definitely been a steal for a 6th rounder and probably should have been a 2nd. 

 

He isn't in the same class as Allen or Payne and it's really not close either.

22 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

 

Agreed, keeping the dline together with Matt jus seems greedy. And we will regret not getting a QB while they are all here if we don't get one.  Trade Ionnidas now so we don't have to lose Allen or Payne.

It's not greedy. It's the entire premise that has us in this Ludacris win now grab a QB at all costs panic. Taking advantage of our glut at DL. You lose the DL depth and talent, this team has zero bright spots.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Renegade7 said:

 

I'm not buying Texans position of power in this negotiation.   And wasn't this Matt's first time getting hurt like that?  It happens, beggers can't be choosers, Watson holds the cards here, not his front office.  At least try the offer, hes a pro bowl player, again, injuries happen.

He won't sit, just like almost all players that claim they'll sit for a season ends up suiting up by the final week of preseason.  If it's not a deal you're happy with you fine him until either he plays or you find a deal you like.  Do I think they have all the cards, no.  Do I think they can sit and wait until the offer is to their liking, yes.  Injuries happen, but who knows if his power(which is a large part of his game) will be right back to where it was pre-injury.  You should also want to move an Allen or a Payne if you had to because Watson's contract will hurt our cap space.  With John coming off the books that saves you an additional 10m this year.  Once you cut Alex that saves you an additional 14m...it makes Watson's contract easier to digest as well as providing the opportunity to keep most of this DL intact and look a bit ahead to Scary Terry who will be up in a few years.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

 

This is yet another example of why I argue that NFL F.O.'s are lead by dinosaur morons to an astonishing degree. 

The 8th pick from Carolina is better value than the 3rd and two future 1sts. Especially when you consider the 1s are coming from a team with the league's best defense that's just added Stafford. That means the only way the deal makes sense, especially with the quick trigger they pulled on it, is that they view taking Goff and his contract as a positive. That is frankly mind-blowing for an NFL Front Office to come to that evaluation. 

 

He's not a top 20 QB. That's not even arguable a this point. If you were watching many of their games last year, you can just read McVay's expressions and know that he desperately wanted away from the guy. And to play him for two years, you have to pay him over $53 mil. 53! And 41 of it is guaranteed. How the hell can you look at that amount of money for that QB and think "yes, please"? In the days before the deal, there was some discussing what they would have to pay to get rid of that contract and guessing next year's 1st plus something this year, maybe the 2nd. And Detroit instead took it as a positive.

 

It's even worse in context. The justification for getting future draft capital rather than upfront is because they are supposedly accepting that they are in a multi-year rebuild. Well, that's smart. Except you wanted to get a QB who, at his upside could maybe, maybe (fingers crossed) win you a game or two and hurt your draft positions the next couple of years. How do those two halves work together?

 

Meanwhile, the level of "analysis" we get from writers and reporters these days means we have to keep hearing about the 'amazing haul' Detroit got. It's kind of hysterical. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't get why you take known mediocrity in Dalton at a cost, when you have mediocrity with at least a chance of upside in Heinicke and Allen. I can see bringing back Smith at a couple of mil or signing Fitzpatrick for the same to mentor a rookie since they both get praised for that role, but I don't get what Dalton does for us. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, thelongestbreath said:

Texans wont want Ion coming off an injury, if you're going to trade one they will want either Payne or Allen(I'd assume Payne because he still has some time left on the rookie deal).  If we're not going to trade any of our DL for a qb, I'd love to see if we could get a 1st or 2nd out of Jon Allen before the draft.  He's a great player and leader, but we're not going to be able to keep the whole DL together...get value while you can.

 

3 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

I don't get why you take known mediocrity in Dalton at a cost, when you have mediocrity with at least a chance of upside in Heinicke and Allen. I can see bringing back Smith at a couple of mil or signing Fitzpatrick for the same to mentor a rookie since they both get praised for that role, but I don't get what Dalton does for us. 

If it's Dalton, then RR is bringing in a vet that he can go to if need be while still letting Allen and Heinicke or maybe even Montez have a shot at the job. I am convinced that RR is gonna bring in a league vet just as insurance if he can't find the answer he really wants in free agency, the draft or thru trade. Who knows, maybe we do draft a rookie and Dalton holds the place until the kid is ready, ala Fitzpatrick in Miami this year. Or maybe Dalton is signed as insurance in case we can't get Watson? After the year RR had with QB's, he is gonna need a vet to possibly lean on should things go south again. That's the only reason I see us signing a Dalton. RR needs competency at the QB position just to continue to evaluate the rest of the roster, assuming he can't do better through other ways. 

BTW, if we do go for Dalton early in the offseason, that should be seen as good news for the Heinicke supporters in my opinion. At least until draft day then who knows?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

 

If it's Dalton, then RR is bringing in a vet that he can go to if need be while still letting Allen and Heinicke or maybe even Montez have a shot at the job. I am convinced that RR is gonna bring in a league vet just as insurance if he can't find the answer he really wants in free agency, the draft or thru trade. Who knows, maybe we do draft a rookie and Dalton holds the place until the kid is ready, ala Fitzpatrick in Miami this year. Or maybe Dalton is signed as insurance in case we can't get Watson? After the year RR had with QB's, he is gonna need a vet to possibly lean on should things go south again. That's the only reason I see us signing a Dalton. RR needs competency at the QB position just to continue to evaluate the rest of the roster, assuming he can't do better through other ways. 

BTW, if we do go for Dalton early in the offseason, that should be seen as good news for the Heinicke supporters in my opinion. At least until draft day then who knows?

We're not going to carry 4 QBs on the active roster, so Dalton precludes either a rookie or one of Allen or Heinicke being around next year. 

 

With their ages and amount of time Heinicke and Allen have played in the system, and the potential they've shown, spending cap space on a mediocre (at best) veteran stopgap to go with them is just a silly way to manage your roster. And if you're bringing in a rookie, I can't imagine why anyone thinks Dalton would be the top choice to be a mentor to him.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Rufus T Firefly said:

We're not going to carry 4 QBs on the active roster, so Dalton precludes either a rookie or one of Allen or Heinicke being around next year. 

 

With their ages and amount of time Heinicke and Allen have played in the system, and the potential they've shown, spending cap space on a mediocre (at best) veteran stopgap to go with them is just a silly way to manage your roster. And if you're bringing in a rookie, I can't imagine why anyone thinks Dalton would be the top choice to be a mentor to him.

I can't answer that, but I think RR knows he has a talented, growing roster and really values what Alex brought to the team this year with his experience and character. I am convinced RR will bring in a cheap veteran who can act as a game manager if he can't hit in free agency, draft or trade....it would also be the responsible thing to do. When you can't get the stud you have to cover all the bases and RR probly is hell bent on not having to go through musical QB's again next year.

Why wouldn't Dalton be a good mentor for a rookie? Do you know something about him that we don't? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, The Consigliere said:

Considering what happened with Haskins. It seems clear that Snyder will inevitably interfere with decision making in perpetuity unless he drops dead. He may come in and out of phases of interference and non-interference, but if that moronic half-wit could literally botch entire decades of decisions and still get his incompetent hands all over a 1st round draft pick as recently as 2019, it seems clear stupidity will always be just a change over in the FO away, if not even closer. 

 

He's never learned a damn thing. Not one. In 22 years of ownership. It's extraordinary. Takes a lot of work to be that thoroughly ignorant. 

 

Yep he's a moron and can't get out of his own way.  

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

 

I'm not buying Texans position of power in this negotiation.   And wasn't this Matt's first time getting hurt like that?  It happens, beggers can't be choosers, Watson holds the cards here, not his front office.  At least try the offer, hes a pro bowl player, again, injuries happen.

 

56 minutes ago, thelongestbreath said:

He won't sit, just like almost all players that claim they'll sit for a season ends up suiting up by the final week of preseason.  If it's not a deal you're happy with you fine him until either he plays or you find a deal you like.  Do I think they have all the cards, no.  Do I think they can sit and wait until the offer is to their liking, yes.  Injuries happen, but who knows if his power(which is a large part of his game) will be right back to where it was pre-injury.

I think he will sit.  Leveon and Trent paved the way on how to force a trade.

Edited by sportsnut
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...