Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jason Wright - New Team President

Kurd Cudins

1 hour ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Imo there’s a lot more to “our part” than just changing the name if they want a stadium in DC (or anywhere). Last time the team was on the field it was still a bottom of the barrel bad, mismanaged product with a dying fanbase in a poor economy, people are just waiting to jump down the throat of the next billionaire to come along and have the gall to try to get a taxpayer-funded stadium built for them. Not to mention the lack of goodwill Snyder has engendered. 

There are many more roadblocks than just the old name that were/are making a new stadium difficult. 

We can't do this without DC government and they said they'd meet us halfway if we did this.  

We do have work to do, but it's their move in the land problem now.

D.C. Congresswoman has proposed bill for RFK Stadium site as soon as Redskins change name

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/dc-congresswoman-has-proposed-bill-rfk-stadium-site-soon-redskins-change-name%3famp

"I certainly will. This is unused land. Unused Federal land. And the District can’t afford, because we have a height limit, to have any land go that goes unused. I couldn’t get this bill through even when Republicans controlled the House," Norton said Monday. "So I now believe I can get it through only after the name is changed for the good of the District of Columbia."

There are a lot of people with good opinions of this guy. I guess that is a major plus when you are trying to change a culture within the organization.

I also like how he pushed community inclusion on the name change. Big for me since I want Redwolves.

I won’t pretend to know a lot about the business side, so I don’t know how he will affect that. What I do understand is perception. Between Rivera, Donaldson and now Smith, this team has a lot more diversity and has to look way different to the national eye. Plus Donaldson is working those past connections. She recently did a national morning spot and now Jason does another. Increasing our footprint already.

I’ll give it two thumbs up, even though Zombie only has one. Lost the other one to some dog.

OK…. So who is in charge of the new stadium deal?

28 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Let's hope it works out. The hire does smell like another hire in Dan's PR makeover.  I just hope Dan let's the people he hired do their jobs and resold the Team. This is Dan's last chance, he better not revert to old ways.

To me this is Dan's last stand whether he realizes it or not.

Fans have been checking out in droves.  He's become an even bigger punchline now than when he was when he was younger.   TV ratings slipping. Can't even get a primetime game for this season.  The team has become borderline irrelevant.  He's ran the team into the ground.

Old school Dan was about losing still but it was splashy and the team was relevant.  This version ended up boring and sleazy and irrelevant.   Fans don't buy the new beginnings stuff anymore.  And Dan can no longer sell he was young and foolish and now he's older and wiser.   He's out of tricks.

To his credit, looks like he's made 3 really good hires.  Kyle running personnel.  Rivera as HC.  Wright as president.  I don't think we've ever had all of those variables cooking at the same time.  Gibbs didn't have a good GM.    Maybe Marty was close to have it cooking when it was him and Schneider running the team?  But I think even then Dan was the de facto head of the business operation.  This operation looks better and classier than any other prior regime.

But if this one implodes like the others, I think Dan has no lives left.  The team will still exist but we might become like the Jags as for having one of the smallest fan bases in the league and we'd become even more irrelevant. 

I think this new operation can bounce this team back into becoming relevant again but Dan has to stay out of their way. 

@Renegade7 I get it, but it’s not like that’s binding. Especially with everything going on. I’m sure changing the name WAS a big first step. But it would take a really crazy or confident politician right now to go to bat for an unpopular organization owned by an unpopular personality who belongs to an unpopular financial demographic...when most of the team’s own (dying) fanbase doesn’t think taxpayer money should go towards a new stadium deal. And I imagine that’s what Snyder wants, as any owner does. 

1 minute ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

@Renegade7 I get it, but it’s not like that’s binding. Especially with everything going on. I’m sure changing the name WAS a big first step. But it would take a really crazy or confident politician right now to go to bat for an unpopular organization owned by an unpopular personality who belongs to an unpopular financial demographic...when most of the team’s own (few) fans don’t think taxpayer money should go towards a new stadium deal. And I imagine that’s what Snyder wants, as any owner does. 

This is fair, as I've said if Snyder was serious about moving to DC he needed to offer to pay for the smaller stadium himself.

But bringing it back home, this new guy has to help this conversation and probably can't get any attention on this at least until the next administration.

It's been soooo obvious DC government biggest hurdle was the name, not the money.  The money is more a citizen problem from polling, name has been the biggest hurdle from the words of DC government itself. They will crack if the threat of moving to NOVA comes back again.

Crack is probably a strong word, but I'm concerned about treating the money issue the same way as the name, completely different animal.  

We don't even know if Snyder will be the owner since minorities owners publicly pushing him to leave now, meantime, DC has to get control of that land to even have the conversation on moving there, no matter what we do.  Franchise cannot do that for them, thats my point here.

This man is an epic hire and a move in good faith towards changing our image and reputation.  What is the threshold for meeting us halfway without feeling like the goalpost being moved? I get your point, but perception is reality, and that's the risk with where we go from here.

17 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

This man is an epic hire and a move in good faith towards changing our image and reputation.  What is the threshold for meeting us halfway without feeling like the goalpost being moved? I get your point, but perception is reality, and that's the risk with where we go from here.

Comes off to me like an epic hire, too.  But arguably we had an epic hire like that not long ago with Lafemina. 

Some say it was Bruce who cut off Lafeina at the knees more so than Dan.  But who knows?

Regardless, Dan I don't think will easily survive the PR hit of in a short amount of time letting two guys with supposedly all star resumes and personalities go.  So hopefully this is a longer ride than the last one. 

27 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Comes off to me like an epic hire, too.  But arguably we had an epic hire like that not long ago with Lafemina. 

Some say it was Bruce who cut off Lafeina at the knees more so than Dan.  But who knows?

Regardless, Dan I don't think will easily survive the PR hit of in a short amount of time letting two guys with supposedly all star resumes and personalities go.  So hopefully this is a longer ride than the last one. 

Maybe I'm swinging too much to the other extreme here, but Im personally exhausted with being furious with this franchise and ready for a fresh start as well. 

My criteria for giving them another chance has been met before this hire, fair concern, but this hire again tells me something is different here.

I don't think I can trust Snyder, I think I can trust Rivera. Think.

Has Dan Snyder finally realized how to build a successful organization?

After 21 years of persistent losing, scandals and stupidity, has the team finally found a way out of being the NFL's worst operation? Is there hope for becoming not just a consistent winning franchise, but one Washingtonians can be once again proud to support?

Maybe . . . though we've seen this before only to watch it crumble.

Snyder is on a streak of solid decisions. He opted to move on from the Redskins name after years of derision. The permanent one won't come for a while, but the Washington Football Team and its marketing is respectable.

The right coach was picked. Not just someone with a winning background. Snyder has often picked legendary names only to undermine them and watch the team rebuild every few years. This time, though, the coach has the right personality in Ron Rivera. While predecessors Marty Schottenheimer, Joe Gibbs and Mike Shanahan were equally stoic, Schottenheimer and Shanahan undermined themselves while Gibbs left after deciding his family needed him more.

Rivera won't shy from the storm that always encircles the team. He is the storm. The difference over Schottenheimer and Shanahan is Rivera isn't a draconian leader who devalues players and staff. He is the rock who can be a cornerstone of success.

Snyder ousted several failed executives like president Bruce Allen and hired competent people. On Monday, Jason Wright was named team president while focusing on business operations. Wright is the perfect pick – a youngish leader at 38 whose resume includes NFL player and University of Chicago business school grad.

There's a lot to like about this hire. After two disastrous leaders in Vinny Cerrato and Allen, Snyder finally found an emerging talent. This was the type of hire the owner should have made 21 years ago when buying the team and wrongly firing general manager Charley Casserly. And, Wright becomes the NFL's first Black team president.

As for substance, I see some debate here on the stadium.  He didn't dive that much into it but said his take is that a stadium needs to be part of an economic engine for a region where its a win win for all. 

Pretty funny when Grant and Danny basically shared some of Bruce's buffoonery with Wright.  Wright didn't take the bait but did a nice job suggesting that things will change without sounding snarky about the previous regime.  He suggested they will be much more open than the past.  He seemed genuinely interested in fan opinion- and improving the experience for all. 

Grant and Danny now going on and on about how impressive he was in their interview.  I agree with them. 

9 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Just listened to Wright on 106.7. Sounds awesome on the radio.  10 out of 10.

Comes off honest.  Really funny. Charismatic.  Smart. Likeable.   On first blush, the most charismatic hire we've had under Dan. 

Agree -- 100%.  Now, we just have to hope Dan will let him do his job.  

17 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Maybe I'm swinging too much to the other extreme here, but Im personally exhausted with being furious with this franchise and ready for a fresh start as well. 

My criteria for giving them another chance has been met before this hire, fair concern, but this hire again tells me something is different here.

I don't think I can trust Snyder, I think I can trust Rivera. Think.

Don't get me wrong, I feel the same way you do.  I like these hires.  Dan seems to be doing it the right way.  I am still here, still as big a fan as I ever was.  But I can no longer give Dan the benefit of the doubt because I've been jazzed about some hires in the past that didn't pan out and the one common denominator has always been Dan.

So I am optimistic but I'll have a disclaimer on it until I see that Dan can stay out of his own way.  

1 minute ago, Riggo#44 said:

I'd love to see Wright have a weekly spot on DC Radio, like MIke Rizzo has. Would be great for communication and promoting what's going on with the team

If his appearance on 106.7 is how he typically rolls, he'd kill it if he had a show.  He sounds great on the radio. 

I think Dan in his earlier years was trying to do too much. All you have to do as an owner is hire the right people to run your organization. With a little success because of those hires, boom, you're considered a good owner. 

This is a great hire, he seems like a natural with the mic in front of him. He's going to be a great voice for the organization, I just hope Dan lets these guys do their jobs, because they all seem more than capable. 

The business side of the team has been as bad as the football side, and while I'd be onboard with just fixing the football side, I don't think that's how good organizations roll.  Rarely is an elite performer terrible in any one facet.  Not a Snyder-circle guy from way back, check.  I'm on board.

Seems like he has very relative experience and is a very highly thought of dude amongst those that know him. I am happy they hired somebody to be the face of the business side so Coach can concentrate on the football side.  The more non Dan cronies around the better.  Things are definitely changing.

Archived