Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

JSSkinz
Message added by TK,

Pay Attention Knuckleheads

Has your team support wained due to ownership or can you see past it?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend a game and support the team while Dan Snyder is the owner of the team, regardless of success?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would start attending games if Dan was no longer the owner of the team.

1 hour ago, Califan007 said:

I would assume the apparel sales would be based on sales much earlier than the rebrand, though. I didn't read the article so maybe they are including the latest sales but just seems like that might be difficult to do. Maybe not, though...

The article does not mention if it includes apparel sales of Redskin’s gear. It only says WFT gear. I think its perfectly reasonable to expect that the data includes both sets of gear, but it would be better if that information was provided.

Its not like that is the only problem though. It’s hard to see people draw conclusions when there are so many extraneous factors.

That chart is essentially a visual display of apparel sales.  But our team is in the middle of a year where:

-We have a temporary name instead of a complete rebrand. That’s gotta effect sales.

-Various major sponsors removed our team’s merchandise from their websites and storefronts for a period of time. That’s really gotta effect sales.

-We didn’t even have a temp name for a period of time. Couldn’t sell anything then.

-Companies lost access to their entire catalog of Redskins gear and stuff. Other teams can offer far more options and varieties. That’s gotta effect sales.  

-Raging pandemic and economic downturn that make the most likely profitable buying months the ones most effected by the above issues.

This chart basically compares a team with a temp name, less types of merchandise and a reduced buying window against the rest of the league, and that’s even if you include Redskin’s gear sales. If you don’t include Skins gear, that window is reduced to a month. Regardless I’m not surprised we’d get outshined.

Did other teams sell more gear in our area than we did this year? Sure. But that statement has to be qualified with one massive asterisk. Its like saying that the Chiefs are leading the league in fan attendance. Its true, but somebodies gotta qualify that statement.

36 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

The article does not mention if it includes apparel sales of Redskin’s gear. It only says WFT gear. I think its perfectly reasonable to expect that the data includes both sets of gear, but it would be better if that information was provided.

I think they said "WFT" not to indicate that it only considers gear with the new name, but because nobody is using the old name anymore since it's considered racist.

1 minute ago, Califan007 said:

I think they said "WFT" not to indicate that it only considers gear with the new name, but because nobody is using the old name anymore since it's considered racist.

You don't have to use the name to express the idea. You could just say it combines the sales of both the new and previous team names gear if you want to get the point across. Its not exactly a scientific article, so I don't think it was a priority to express the details.

12 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

You don't have to use the name to express the idea. You could just say it combines the sales of both the new and previous team names gear if you want to get the point across. Its not exactly a scientific article, so I don't think it was a priority to express the details.

I couldn't find the article you read (link me please lol).

I did run across this, though...shows most popular NFL teams by state based on 2019 ticket sales, which doesn't really show an accurate ranking either since probably half the tickets sold to Skins games were to opposing fans lol...

At any rate, it has the WFT as most popular in DC, Virginia, Maryland, and West Virginia. And yeah, they do say the Washington Football Team even though the ticket sales were for the Redskins.

https://www.theactivetimes.com/featured/most-popular-nfl-teams-america

17 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

This is the article I was referencing.

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/football-team/map-best-selling-nfl-gear-us-will-enrage-washington-football-team-fans

I've seen these sales charts in the past and we have owned MD DC and VA in the past. That's the first sign that there was something off in this more recent chart

Yeah, this article doesn't go into any detail at all like you said...makes me think even more that saying the Washington Football Team is more about what they're called now and not using the term "Redskins" than it is a reflection of which name the merchandise sales reflect.

16 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Yeah, this article doesn't go into any detail at all like you said...makes me think even more that saying the Washington Football Team is more about what they're called now and not using the term "Redskins" than it is a reflection of which name the merchandise sales reflect.

I think that would be the most reasonable line of thinking.

The thing that really gets me is that the introduction of that information would strengthen the whole narrative of the article. Silly not to include it

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

I think that would be the most reasonable line of thinking.

The thing that really gets me is that the introduction of that information would strengthen the whole narrative of the article. Silly not to include it

24-hour news cycle means there's a lot of poorly written articles (and non-stories posing as being newsworthy). Seems like this "article" was written around a tweet someone read lol...It's damn irritating when journalists scour twitter to meet their quota (Yahoo does this like a mf'er).

• Like 1

On 9/10/2020 at 6:33 PM, FootballZombie said:

Ok, I just read the article this map is attached to and came across a tremendous red flag.

This data was compiled by totaling the apparel sales across various areas. That means it is probably unwise to extrapolate real conclusions from it.

We are in the middle of a re-brand. We have a temporary brand name. It is not unlikely that a lot of people (I myself am one of them) are holding off on purchases until we have an actual name. Even those that do spend, can possibly be spending less while we are in transition. I would expect to see a regression in sales like this given our situation.

Maps like this comes out every time this year. They usually include DC. Here is one from 2019 that has some good information and compiled in a similar way for those that are interested. Obviously, this one is not effected by a re-brand initiative

https://seatgeek.com/tba/articles/where-do-nfl-fans-live-mapping-football-fandom-across-the-u-s/

I’ll also throw out that this map will look a lot different next year when we introduce a new brand and ride a spike in sales as a result. It’s not as pretty as it used to be, but there is good reason not to get too worked up over this one.

Dude your reaching. Snyder has destroyed the fanbase.  This graph is highly believable, and lines up with what we see with our own eyes, from how empty Fedex is when we play a small market team, to how its only full when is full of opposing team fans of a large-market team.  Its so painfully obvious, that the only question I have, is why NFL owners dont appear to give a ****.  Its affecting their bottom line.  They should be jumping on the chance to get rid of this guy.  And yet, instead, they make excuses for him.  Just how many skeletons are these guys hiding.  Is Dan's behavior really that normal and widespread amongst NFL owners?  Youre all billionaires, ****, creep out on someone who aint working for ya already -- or go buy a strip club.   Its not that hard.  

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Koala said:

Dude your reaching. Snyder has destroyed the fanbase.  This graph is highly believable, and lines up with what we see with our own eyes, from how empty Fedex is when we play a small market team, to how its only full when is full of opposing team fans of a large-market team.  Its so painfully obvious, that the only question I have, is why NFL owners dont appear to give a ****.  Its affecting their bottom line.  They should be jumping on the chance to get rid of this guy.  And yet, instead, they make excuses for him.  Just how many skeletons are these guys hiding.  Is Dan's behavior really that normal and widespread amongst NFL owners?  Youre all billionaires, ****, creep out on someone who aint working for ya already -- or go buy a strip club.   Its not that hard.  

Not a reach at all. You can re-read my previous posts. I never disputed the results of this chart and do feel the graph is highly believable. But those results are due to extraneous circumstance. If you take the sales results of one team, in a reduced buying period, and compare it to other teams straight up, how can you expect positive results? That is not a fair comparison.

21 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

That chart is essentially a visual display of apparel sales.  But our team is in the middle of a year where:

-We have a temporary name instead of a complete rebrand. That’s gotta effect sales.

-Various major sponsors removed our team’s merchandise from their websites and storefronts for a period of time. That’s really gotta effect sales.

-We didn’t even have a temp name for a period of time. Couldn’t sell anything then.

-Companies lost access to their entire catalog of Redskins gear and stuff. Other teams can offer far more options and varieties. That’s gotta effect sales.  

-Raging pandemic and economic downturn that make the most likely profitable buying months the ones most effected by the above issues.

This chart basically compares a team with a temp name, less types of merchandise and a reduced buying window against the rest of the league, and that’s even if you include Redskin’s gear sales. If you don’t include Skins gear, that window is reduced to a month. Regardless I’m not surprised we’d get outshined.

Did other teams sell more gear in our area than we did this year? Sure. But that statement has to be qualified with one massive asterisk. Its like saying that the Chiefs are leading the league in fan attendance. Its true, but somebodies gotta qualify that statement.

That is in no way shape or form a reach. How are you expected to put up sales number when stores don't carry your gear. Its common sense to me. All I'm saying is in light of circumstances around it, its dangerous to take that data straight up and draw concrete conclusions. Gotta put an asterisk on it

• Like 1

Is there any glimmer of hope that the general consensus about this team in 2020 is wrong?  I am not mad or even surprised at some of the predictions for how mediocre this team is going to be, but maaaaan.....can we for once be that team that no one expected to do much that ends up surprising and making some kind of push at the halfway point?  I feel like the last 12 months have been one of the worst stretches in recent memory for this team and if the sports media is correct, the performance on the field isn't going to make us forget about much of all that stuff.

If not, and the team ends up with 1-3 wins, I at least hope we see some standout individual performances along the way. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Is there any glimmer of hope that the general consensus about this team in 2020 is wrong?  I am not mad or even surprised at some of the predictions for how mediocre this team is going to be, but maaaaan.....can we for once be that team that no one expected to do much that ends up surprising and making some kind of push at the halfway point?  I feel like the last 12 months have been one of the worst stretches in recent memory for this team and if the sports media is correct, the performance on the field isn't going to make us forget about much of all that stuff.

If not, and the team ends up with 1-3 wins, I at least hope we see some standout individual performances along the way. 

I agree.

Last season was the first one in a long time I had very limited hope, but this season provides realistic hope to compete in most games. Just having a staff with a clear philosophy and brand, and a healthy culture are significant to wins against teams 8-32 give or take.

I’m confident Rivera and Turner will create an effective run game and if Haskins protects the ball, the team will be in most games. I’m okay with expecting the defense to be responsible for 4-5 wins, combine that with some luck in TO department, an effective/efficient run game, TM making plays when needed in the pass game, 12-14 opportunities will be there to win. 

3 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

That was the team in 2015...some analysts predicted the Skins to have the worst record in the NFL that year.

I know people probably want a break from all this, especially after a big win, but this tweet from Valerie Bertinelli cracked me up. The last line at least. Hilarious to me that people are so far behind on our name situation, but very little confusion on Dan Snyder's character. 

3 hours ago, CRobi21 said:

I hope Dan reads these comments 

Does it strike anybody as odd that Dan is wearing credentials?  He owns the Goddamn team and is extremely recognizable. Jason I get, he's new.  I am sure everybody knows Ron, and he probably came straight up from the locker room, and doesn't need creds.

Dan wearing credentials with his picture on it seems really strange to me.

8 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Does it strike anybody as odd that Dan is wearing credentials?  He owns the Goddamn team and is extremely recognizable. Jason I get, he's new.  I am sure everybody knows Ron, and he probably came straight up from the locker room, and doesn't need creds.

Dan wearing credentials with his picture on it seems really strange to me.

Everybody has to cover up with masks. Makes credentials more necessary

Maybe he didn't need it in the before times, but its a new era now

Edited by FootballZombie
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, CRobi21 said:

I hope Dan reads these comments 

Talk about  shamelessly basking in someone else's reflected glory.

The comments are absolutely brutal and on point.

Just a smattering for those seeking a Monday morning pickup:

Edited by TrancesWithWolves
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TrancesWithWolves said:

Talk about  shamelessly basking in someone else's reflected glory.

Whether we want him to be or not, he's the owner, There is no such thing as "shamelessly basking on someone else's" glory when the team that you own wins. He's not some outsider who played no role in anything...he's literally the reason those other people are here to begin with. I think he even gave Rivera a game ball personally after Rivera gave game balls to others.

1 hour ago, method man said:

See below on Del Rio. This is from the upcoming book on Elway. Great to know Del Rio is a loyal guy who will stand up for his coach

For a moment I literally forgot this thread is about the new coaches and front office and not about the WP articles lol...I almost responded to your post by saying 'Umm...wrong thread?" 🤣

Edited by Califan007
  • Thanks 1