Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

JSSkinz
Message added by TK,

Pay Attention Knuckleheads

Has your team support wained due to ownership or can you see past it?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend a game and support the team while Dan Snyder is the owner of the team, regardless of success?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would start attending games if Dan was no longer the owner of the team.

55 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

am in category B.  Love the new hires.  But if there is a chance that Dan can be removed in the mix of this investigation (and some who previously thought Dan was untouchable see it as a possibility) then I am rooting hard for it -- even if there is some collateral damage within the FO.

Me too but I think we’re going to get A. That’s just a hunch.  

38 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Me too but I think we’re going to get A. That’s just a hunch.  

The odds are on A.  But B doesn't seem impossible.  And my gut is relentless PR pressure might help.  Someone like Mike Jones for example is often a pessimist about change coming.  He was one of the pessimists for example about Bruce being canned this off season or at least he was in one interview I listened to on it.  But it did happen.

So when people like Mike Jones says its possible.  He didn't say likely but suggested it isn't a crazy long shot.  Ditto Russell who has gotten things right in recent years about the FO.  And you got a lawyer specifically aiming at Dan's removal. 

Add that to a backdrop of fellow owners not liking Dan and Dan's fan base not liking him either.   I think there is at least a shot.  Some who like to argue otherwise sometimes will just hang on to the idea of Dan being a bad owner and fellow owners not liking him isn't enough to remove him.  yeah of course it isn't.  But some who cover this story do believe that the lack of good will for Dan on other fronts could tip the balance on this issue if more stuff comes out.

I think though both Jones and Russell saying they know there is more -- I gather that's what's driving their thoughts that Dan could be in trouble.  If so, the wildcard is if this is true -- do these people came out and tell their story. 

• Like 1

Just stepping back for a moment to look at this from the eye in the sky ... has there ever been another owner situation like this in sports history, let alone NFL history, where the owner is basically despised universally, constantly in the news for the wrong reasons (and has been for almost his entire 21 years here), has all of these small to mid to now larger level scandals, has multiple exposés written in major newspapers (Times, Post, etc.), is the subject of television specials focusing on his negative culture, faced with coming lawsuits over lewd videos he allegedly ordered to have made on his behalf, has ex-employees of his organization writing open letters to other employees encouraging them to spill the goods on where Jimmy Hoffa is buried AND has turned the franchise's on-the-field product into an utter laughing stock whose TV ratings on gameday have plummeted, stadium is overrun by opposing team fans, etc., etc.? 

I'm honestly asking the question, as I can be myopic when it comes to sports outside of the area and the problems of other franchises. But I can't think of anything that really comes close to this. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Agree.  And I agree its a perfect storm for him to change.  I just wonder if he could because its not easy to change your personality and the way you think.  

From time to time, you mention your work experiences help you at times digest certain things.  I do the same.  I am in a businesses albeit not sports which is competitive with wins and loses and in the public arena among other things.  I end up working with more or less 40 different clients a year so am exposed to all types.   I've had a few clients who remind me a lot of Dan's described style.  They are impetuous.  They become really mean under stress.  They are wealthy and have an air of superiority about them and talk down to people lower on the chain so to speak.  They don't take responsibility for what goes wrong even when their fingerprints are deep in it.   They like to scapegoat.

In my mind, I think about these people I've worked with who are similar.  I find a way to get along with them  by working around their neurosis as best as I can but I've had an altercation or two still.   In short, I am never at my best working for people like that because I take less risks, I spend some of my energy placating them and I try to incorporate their ideas in my work even when I don't believe in them.  I've had my mini experiences in what I think is a losing culture.  And to me its pervasive because even when the dude isn't on your case, you are still working on material with that person's thoughts and expected reactions in your head. 

Just to be clear, I was referring to the business side of things, not the football side. I have no doubt Snyder will continue to insert himself into football decisions...nobody will remove him as owner because of his "interfering" or firing coaches too often or stuff like that there. But I've changed a bit on how much the business side was affecting the results on the field. We can't have a true culture change in terms of the locker room and the team if the culture on the business side is a toxic waste dump site. The culture change needs to occur over the entire franchise...I have faith that Rivera and his staff can accomplish that, even here lol.

But after those two articles the only hope I had for a culture change on the business side was a feeble "Well, at least they got rid of the culprits that were named....that's something, I guess." So while I don't think Snyder will change internally, I do think a scenario like I described where there is league oversight and Snyder realizes true workplace culture change needs to occur on the business side or he's most likely out, that could be enough to change his management style. He didn't force these guys to act in such a misogynistic manner but his personality and management style enabled them in their behavior. If Snyder goes about things on the business side without any change he's now gonna meet strong resistance and won't have an inner circle of male execs to form a Boys Club with anymore.

To paraphrase Cosby, Snyder is apparently like cocaine:

"Tell me, what is it about cocaine that makes it so wonderful?"

"Because it intensifies your personality."

"Yes, but what if you're an asshole?"

Snyder intensified the personalities of a lot of assholes over the years.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Andre The Giant said:

In a radio interview back in March, Julie Donaldson (well before she was hired by the team, but was frequently breaking news) told Galdi and Doc that Snyder was the one pushing to sign Amari Cooper.  I remember being surprised the team offered him all that money, because it seemed so out of character with their other moves.  Plus, I personally didn’t think he was worth it.

After all the noise, all the criticism of meddling, he was still pushing on his new Coach Rivera to make a splash move.

Snyder will never change.  He can’t. 

That's not what Julie said..in fact, Galdi and Doc made sure to clarify what she was saying. There was no forcing Rivera to get Cooper, and she said if Rivera didn't want him they never would have gone after him.

Pertinent part starts at 44:50 -

https://omny.fm/shows/the-doc-walker-show-podcast/04-03-20-the-doc-and-galdi-show-hour-1

Edited by Califan007
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Dissident2 said:

Just stepping back for a moment to look at this from the eye in the sky ... has there ever been another owner situation like this in sports history, let alone NFL history, where the owner is basically despised universally, constantly in the news for the wrong reasons (and has been for almost his entire 21 years here), has all of these small to mid to now larger level scandals, has multiple exposés written in major newspapers (Times, Post, etc.), is the subject of television specials focusing on his negative culture, faced with coming lawsuits over lewd videos he allegedly ordered to have made on his behalf, has ex-employees of his organization writing open letters to other employees encouraging them to spill the goods on where Jimmy Hoffa is buried AND has turned the franchise's on-the-field product into an utter laughing stock whose TV ratings on gameday have plummeted, stadium is overrun by opposing team fans, etc., etc.? 

I'm honestly asking the question, as I can be myopic when it comes to sports outside of the area and the problems of other franchises. But I can't think of anything that really comes close to this. 

Obviously not those same exact issues lol...but Donald Sterling immediately came to mind. Far worse on the court results than Snyder's on the field results, lawsuits galore, had an affair with a married employee, chastised her for having been married to a black man, offered her money for sex, several attempts by the NBA to force him to sell the team...those are off the top of my head lol. I'm positive there is more. The major difference is that the Clippers had never been as valuable as the Skins were (and still are), so maybe it wasn't as newsworthy nationally (living in California I heard about it year in and year out).

3 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

If Snyder goes about things on the business side without any change he's now gonna meet strong resistance and won't have an inner circle of male execs to form a Boys Club with anymore.

To paraphrase Cosby, Snyder is apparently like cocaine:

"Tell me, what is it about cocaine that makes it so wonderful?"

"Because it intensifies your personality."

"Yes, but what if you're an asshole?"

Snyder intensified the personalities of a lot of assholes over the years.

My gut is this is true.  Dan is surrounded now by classier people who do not double down on his worst instincts but try to steer him on a better path.  Maybe somewhat like when Gibbs was here where Dan was supposedly on better behavior. 

Will see.  I am just holding out some hope that these stories ultimately do him in as for ownership of the team.  It's not that I think that is likely but I also don't think its a long shot.  And I suspect as others have hinted there is more to come.

I just don't think the dude will change and while circumstances might make him change for a spell -- I do think he will return to his usual style eventually. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Califan007 said:

That's not what Julie said..in fact, Galdi and Doc made sure to clarify what she was saying. There was no forcing Rivera to get Cooper, and she said if Rivera didn't want him they never would have gone after him.

Pertinent part starts at 44:50 -

https://omny.fm/shows/the-doc-walker-show-podcast/04-03-20-the-doc-and-galdi-show-hour-1

It is what she said.  She basically said she was told Dan wanted Amari and drove it.  Ron / Kyle could have said no, but Dan wanted him. 

It reminded me of when Dan pushed for McNabb as soon as Shanny got here.

Why should Dan at this point have any involvement in free agent acquisition?  You’d think he’d have learned his lesson.  Say what you want, but I took this interview as a big red flag that things haven’t really changed. 

40 minutes ago, Andre The Giant said:

It is what she said.  She basically said she was told Dan wanted Amari and drove it.  Ron / Kyle could have said no, but Dan wanted him.

Donaldson: "Going after Cooper would not have happened if Rivera wouldn't have said 'Ok, yeah, we want him, let's do it...' But of course, you've got to put up the money--how much money and how far do we go? How far are we willing to push for it, you know? Because I also know they also would love Stefon Diggs but they thought it was too much money for him. Same with Hooper, the tight end, too much money for what he was worth. Apparently they thought Cooper was...Rivera does have final say and I'm told there is not any disconnect between him and the ownership on that."

Galdi: "Ok, well that's good, that's a good clear-up."

Donaldson: "Mmm hmm."

Galdi: "So, it's not like Ron didn't want him and Dan wanted him so they went after him. They were on the same page on that."

Donaldson: "Yeah."

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I just don't think the dude will change and while circumstances might make him change for a spell -- I do think he will return to his usual style eventually. 

My hope is, if he does remain owner, the forced changes will help lead to consistent winning and that will give Snyder a reason to let things keep going. I mean, might take a Super Bowl or two lol...

Edited by Califan007
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Donaldson: "Going after Cooper would not have happened if Rivera wouldn't have said 'Ok, yeah, we want him, let's do it...' But of course, you've got to put up the money--how much money and how far do we go? How far are we willing to push for it, you know? Because I also know they also would love Stefon Diggs but they thought it was too much money for him. Same with Hooper, the tight end, too much money for what he was worth. Apparently they thought Cooper was...Rivera does have final say and I'm told there is not any disconnect between him and the ownership on that."

Galdi: "So, it's not like Ron didn't want him and Dan wanted him so they went after him. They were on the same page on that."

My hope is, if he does remain owner, the forced changes will help lead to consistent winning and that will give Snyder a reason to let things keep going. I mean, might take a Super Bowl or two lol...

26 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

From same interview:

Donaldson: He (Dan) also wanted Cooper out of Dallas ...

Galdi: But Dan was a big driving force behind the Skins going after Amari Cooper?

Donaldson: Yeah

Again, I ask, after all of his mistakes, why is Dan pushing for players in Free Agency if he has “changed?”

15 minutes ago, Andre The Giant said:

From same interview:

Donaldson: He (Dan) also wanted Cooper out of Dallas ...

Galdi: But Dan was a big driving force behind the Skins going after Amari Cooper?

Donaldson: Yeah

Again, I ask, after all of his mistakes, why is Dan pushing for players in Free Agency if he has “changed?”

Yes, and when Doc sounded confused as to who was the driving force behind trying to sign Cooper, she cleared it up, which Galdi said was "that's a good clear-up." Snyder did not force Rivera to go get Cooper, they wouldn't have budged on Cooper if Rivera didn't want him, if he was not on board the same as Snyder. Been said before, but the owner will have his input heard on football matters, whether it's all the time, some of the time, or rarely. Whether or not the FO and coaches have the autonomy and authority to say "yes" or "no" is what's important. Donaldson laid out pretty directly that from what she has heard, nothing moves forward without Rivera signing off on it, and ownership agrees with that.

Edited by Califan007
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

It's possible.  Dan has to behave well lets say early on.  Gives enough time for Rivera to win.  And in turn Dan backs off.  

That's somewhat the Steinbrenner drill except he got suspended for 2 years which arguably helped the team to build in the right way to set up the success for Torre who did win right away. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

It's possible.  Dan has to behavior lets say early.  Gives enough time for Rivera to win.  And in turn Dan backs off.  

That's somewhat the Steinbrenner drill except he got suspended for 2 years which arguably helped the team to build in the right way to set up the success for Torre who did win right away. 

If Snyder is not outed as owner, I hope he's suspended for a year or two as well. There needs to be repercussions and he needs to feel them one way or another. Plus, from what you've detailed about Steinbrenner I'm learning to be ok with a suspension lol...

• Like 1

A couple of points. First, if you missed the one hour ESPN special, it is being re-broadcast tonight (Monday 9/7) at 10 pm on ESPNNEWS, again on at 1 AM (Wednesday 9/9) ESPNNEWS. I believe it is also on again (Saturday 9/12) on ESPNNEWS)  at 9 AM. It is also on the ESPN.com website in the “on demand” video section, at least it is at the moment. This is all on my current Xfinity lineup. Yours may be different. It will possibly be re-broadcast more times on one of the ESPN networks. The show is "Sport Center Special", "A Franchise In Crisis - The Washington Football Team".

I watched the excerpts from the show last week as well and there was one segment in the first excerpts broadcast that was not included in any of the re-broadcasts of the excerpts or in the Sunday 1 hour show, for whatever reason.

It was Jeremy Schaap’s interview with Lisa Banks, the attorney representing 20 of the team’s former employees, including the 4 women who spoke on camera. I’m not sure why this would have been cut from subsequent airings. When asked what she was looking for, she said “change and accountability”. When Schaap asked her what that looked like, she said that it means more than making a hire or changing a policy and that the only way you can have it is by changing ownership.

She went on to say that she had met with Lisa Friel, who is overseeing the investigation for the NFL (Lisa Friel was the chief sex crimes prosecutor for the Manhattan district attorney's office for 28 years before coming to the NFL a few years ago).

Lisa Banks said she told Lisa Friel that the investigation should be taken seriously by NFL. She said that she came away from the meeting confident that it would be and that the right decision would be made in the end (she went on to qualify that by saying that it was her hope and expectation that would happen). She also went on to say that while they have gotten the women’s NDAs released for the investigation, they are still working to get them released for anyone else the women would care to speak to.

One other point. Gloria Allred has been hired to some of the other women involved and we haven ‘t even heard from her yet!! Regardless of what you may think of her, once she gets going and the lawsuits start (especially if she manages to get a copy of the video) this thing will go to an even higher noise level. She needs to stop calling the team by it's old name though.

https://www.radio.com/thefandc/sports/washington-football-team/gloria-allred-representing-former-washington-cheerleaders?utm=newsbreak

Edited by SonnySideUp
  • Like 2

At some point, you wonder long the other owners will essentially be willing to entirely write off the DC market.

The franchise is dead in the water as long as Snyder owns it. It's theoretically possible that that they could start winning, and this is certainly a town that loves a winner and will excuse just about anything that attaches to a winner. Pretty unlikely, though.

3 hours ago, TrancesWithWolves said:

Definitely want to see this. Hopefully someone in the DC area will record it and post in on the forum.

She looks like she's in high school. smh

It was about 5  minutes and nothing exciting at all. She talked for about 30 seconds. They had Snyder's Lawyer on, making a statement--and he was exactly as you'd think.

• Thanks 1

Megan was just on live on Fox 5 here in DC, and THAT was a helluva testimony from her. Hoping a video shows up that can be shared. She mentioned Larry, she mentions thinking there are more than just these 2 videos, that she believes it was an ongoing project with the cheerleaders, believes it came ultimately from the owner, etc. VERY well-spoken and emotional. Best clip I've seen on this yet.  Maybe the fact that it was live made a difference. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

My gut is this is true.  Dan is surrounded now by classier people who do not double down on his worst instincts but try to steer him on a better path.  Maybe somewhat like when Gibbs was here where Dan was supposedly on better behavior. 

Will see.  I am just holding out some hope that these stories ultimately do him in as for ownership of the team.  It's not that I think that is likely but I also don't think its a long shot.  And I suspect as others have hinted there is more to come.

Agree to an extent, the new regime IS better, more professional and respectable and will exert pressure on TheDan not to be a public embarrassment but eventually he won't be able to resist, he can't help himself, he's that meth head just outta rehab that tries, really tries this time, tries to avoid his deadbeat friends and not sell grandma's TV and even holds down a job for a couple months but sooner or later he cracks, just can't take it anymore and dives screaming back into his pathology and when he does he'll be worse than before.

There is one path forward and TheDan isn't along for the ride. Anything else is just kidding ourselves and setting us up for more agony.