Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

JSSkinz
Message added by TK,

Pay Attention Knuckleheads

Has your team support wained due to ownership or can you see past it?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend a game and support the team while Dan Snyder is the owner of the team, regardless of success?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would start attending games if Dan was no longer the owner of the team.

I don't know if it's gonna happen, of course. There won't be any estate dynamics like with the Broncos sale. It's one reason why I think, unfortunately, RR might be back for another year. Hope not.

Whether Snyder wants to be spiteful is irrelevant. The owners have the votes to humiliate him in a way that would cripple anything he's got cooking abroad; and they've had those votes for a while.

32 minutes ago, skinzplay said:

I don't know if it's gonna happen, of course. There won't be any estate dynamics like with the Broncos sale. It's one reason why I think, unfortunately, RR might be back for another year. Hope not.

Whether Snyder wants to be spiteful is irrelevant. The owners have the votes to humiliate him in a way that would cripple anything he's got cooking abroad; and they've had those votes for a while.

By Snyder being spiteful, I meant it in the context of him firing Ron because he's pissed regardless of whether it helps the smoothness of the sale.  You got me if that's the case, I'd be surprised though.  Goodell under oath revealed himself as a big Rivera guy so I seriously doubt the NFL pushes Dan to fire the staff presale. it would be odd.  And I put some stock in the beat guys who cover the team who have poked around on the story thinking a coaching change if it happens -- it would be unlikely driven by Dan doing this as his final act but it would likely be by new ownership.  Maybe an assistant coach like Scott though. 

I am sort of agnostic on Ron in this context.  I think he's the best Dan can hire whether before or now.  I do think a new owner can hire someone better.    I'd rather not have Dan deal with Ron, the FO or anything while the sale is being discussed.  But once he's gone, everything being equal, I'd like the new owner to wipe the whole clean slate, anyone that Dan hired adios. 

But if the new owner ends up doing what some owners do which is let the current staff go for one more rodeo, I am not one of the people here who would jump off a cliff if it happened.   And even if I hated Rivera, I wouldn't worry regardless because I doubt it goes on longer than one more season, even if the new owner at that point wants him back my gut is he quits.  And usually new owners ultimatelly like to hire their own coach so it feels inevitable. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

The League likes RR. He would've been hired had Snyder, at the behest of Coach Gibbs, not turned our fortunes over to RR.

Brother, I'm with you. But I think JDR could do some things with this D if given different marching orders than what he's received to date. I want RR and Turner gone, with the new ownership group deciding the fate of the rest. I'd do a post-Dungy-enter-Gruden kinda thing.

Just now, method man said:

On Turner, a couple weeks ago, Keim mentioned one option they are looking at is bringing in a passing game coordinator or a consultant to help Turner out vs firing him. This would be a cheaper way to handle it.

RR is loyal, so it's not outside the realm of possibility that Barney Fife becomes a Senior Offensive Assistant instead of being fired. That assumes RR is still around, and i hope not.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

How often do teams trade away their picks when they can land an elite college QB?  You have to hope that its the off chance that a team with a young stud QB or perceived stud who wants out of the pick, it happens but its rare.   Usually teams with young stud QBs don't stink. 

The odds are pretty low that teams will want to trade away Caleb or Drake.   Those FOs would get skewered if they do so unless the QB in hand in special.

It depends. There will probably be 4 QBs taken early. There's a chance some of those teams would be in contention for a top picks agin, and might not be ready to move on from the guys they draft this year. Arizona could be picking high again, and will probably be stuck with Kyler for a couple more years. Houston will have an extra pick form Cleveland.

So it's possible someone will have a top pick and be willing to move it. It's also possible a couple of other guys emerge as top QB prospects.

Personally, I'd try to acquire extra 1sts next year, and I'd target teams I think might be picking high. And I'd accept a step back year from us. I don't think we'd end up top 5, but maybe a little higher than this year.

But we won't do that. We'll continue on the path we've been on forever.

Basically, pray Howell saves the franchise.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Basically, pray [QB of the moment] saves the franchise.

So the usual?

1 hour ago, skinzplay said:

The League likes RR. He would've been hired had Snyder, at the behest of Coach Gibbs, not turned our fortunes over to RR.

Brother, I'm with you. But I think JDR could do some things with this D if given different marching orders than what he's received to date. I want RR and Turner gone, with the new ownership group deciding the fate of the rest. I'd do a post-Dungy-enter-Gruden kinda thing.

RR is loyal, so it's not outside the realm of possibility that Barney Fife becomes a Senior Offensive Assistant instead of being fired. That assumes RR is still around, and i hope not.

That D-line coach he fired, was that a Ron guy or a JDR guy?  Legit asking, because that was a difference maker on the field.

3 minutes ago, skinzplay said:

Don't know if I'd love JDR in charge but to stick to a theme, I don't really care.  Just sell the team, Dan!  I think the coaching organically works out.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/01/09/commanders-offseason-ownership-questions/

The potential sale of the Commanders has created uncertainty on all fronts. Will Rivera have the leeway to make the moves he sees fit for the franchise? How soon could a new owner come in? And might that owner look to make wholesale changes in his or her first season?

On Monday, cornerback Kendall Fuller said he’ll need a teammate to keep him up to date on news about a potential new owner.

“I don’t pay attention to anything,” Fuller said. “I’m off social media and stuff like that. I told [Jeremy] Reaves last night that he’ll probably end up having to text me if anything happens.”

Any ownership change will probably have an immediate ripple effect, much like when a coach brings in his own assistants. McLaurin has made a career of thriving amid change, be it coaches or quarterbacks, and he knows what looms may be no different from his previous experiences.

“It’s a business, and when new people come in, they don’t really have allegiance to you,” he said. “That goes for me as well. I truly feel like I try to come in here every year and earn my respect and prove why I should be on this team and be a leader. If you don’t come in with that mind-set of earning it, then things will pass you by, and the attrition will probably happen a little faster.”

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

It depends. There will probably be 4 QBs taken early. There's a chance some of those teams would be in contention for a top picks agin, and might not be ready to move on from the guys they draft this year. Arizona could be picking high again, and will probably be stuck with Kyler for a couple more years. Houston will have an extra pick form Cleveland.

So it's possible someone will have a top pick and be willing to move it. It's also possible a couple of other guys emerge as top QB prospects.

Personally, I'd try to acquire extra 1sts next year, and I'd target teams I think might be picking high. And I'd accept a step back year from us. I don't think we'd end up top 5, but maybe a little higher than this year.

But we won't do that. We'll continue on the path we've been on forever.

Basically, pray Howell saves the franchise.

I always like accuring picks for the next year. As much as some like making fun of Scot McCloughan, I do laud him for picking up three draft picks for the following draft during his last draft while he was here.  So novel for this franchise.  We at times trade down but rarely trade picks today for picks tomorrow.  

The defense finished 3rd this year.  I think they are legit.  The offensive weapons are likewise legit IMO.  Need to boost the O line and need to upgrade QB clearly. But overall, I can't recall the last time I've liked our roster to this extent.  But i am always for adding draft capital for the following year regardless of context.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, method man said:

On Turner, a couple weeks ago, Keim mentioned one option they are looking at is bringing in a passing game coordinator or a consultant to help Turner out vs firing him. This would be a cheaper way to handle it.

I don’t like that idea. Too many Chefs. Just replace the one we have.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, method man said:

"...one option they are looking at is bringing in a passing game coordinator..."

As predictable a move as it is disappointing. A typical lukewarm, don't dare rock the riverboat, type of compromise.

All the more reason to separate Rivera from the decision tree at Bezos's earliest convenience.

Half measures avail us nothing.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye

3 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

We stand at the turning point. Snyder thankfully selling the team will most likely affect any legitimate options we may have at OC.

Just so long as the potential passing game coordinator is not currently calling bingo or delivering meals on wheels...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

"...one option they are looking at is bringing in a passing game coordinator..."

As predictable a move as it is disappointing. A typical lukewarm, don't dare rock the riverboat, type of compromise.

All the more reason to separate Rivera from the decision tree at Bezos's earliest convenience.

I was listening to Jay talk about this in multiple podcasts.  I suspect he doesn't think highly of Scott Turner but he didn't flat out say that.  But he does think learning a new offense retards a QB, he said the terminology alone is a major pain to master.  So if they dump Turner, it would help to have an Air Coryell type coordinator everything being equal.    

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I was listening to Jay talk about this in multiple podcasts.  I suspect he doesn't think highly of Scott Turner but he didn't flat out say that.  But he does think learning a new offense retards a QB, he said the terminology alone is a major pain to master.  So if they dump Turner, it would help to have an Air Coryell type coordinator everything being equal.    

Just go with Zampese and call it a day.

Just now, KDawg said:

Yeah I thought about that.  It could be the ticket.

Jay's been great all season explaining what he thinks is hard about playing QB.  And he's really stubbornly said it is a major haul for a QB to shift from learning one system to another -- saying the terminology alone is a bear. 

9 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Jay's been great all season

Something never said about Jay as a coach….

I kid.  I kid.  (And I couldn’t resist….)

13 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Has Zampese ever been an OC?  

What is Al Saunders up to these days?  mike Martz? 

The big problem is there are so few Coryell system guys left.  

22 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I don’t know. He’s only been an OC one time in this league and he was fired after two games into his second season. He’s 55 and hasn’t gone far above his current position. 

The 2017 Cincinnati Bengals season was the franchise's 48th season in the National Football League, their 50th overall and their 15th under head coach Marvin Lewis. After starting 0–2, scoring only 9 points, and not scoring any touchdowns in their first two games, the Bengals fired offensive coordinator Ken Zampese. Quarterbacks coach Bill Lazor was promoted to offensive coordinator to replace Zampese

Edited by CobraCommander

10 minutes ago, CobraCommander said:

I don’t know. He’s only been an OC one time in this league and he was fired after two games into his second season. He’s 55 and hasn’t gone far above his current position. 

The 2017 Cincinnati Bengals season was the franchise's 48th season in the National Football League, their 50th overall and their 15th under head coach Marvin Lewis. After starting 0–2, scoring only 9 points, and not scoring any touchdowns in their first two games, the Bengals fired offensive coordinator Ken Zampese. Quarterbacks coach Bill Lazor was promoted to offensive coordinator to replace Zampese

I don’t want Turner. So if it’s Zampese I’m willing to work through it. 

26 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I don’t want Turner. So if it’s Zampese I’m willing to work through it. 

It’s probably the best we can do for next year. Just not thrilled with it. 

I think a lot of our offensive woes can be fixed with a proper offensive line. Gotta be an off-season priority.

Just now, Rex Tomb said:

Why not bring Jay Gruden back to be OC?  I think it would be a great thing.

If that was to happen it would have to be after Dan sells the team.  

Though Jay’s propensity to run for No yards on first time would fit in with what we’ve been doing since.. Jay Gruden was hired as HC. 

37 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

giphy.gif

Maybe but it’s the truth. :P 

Just now, Voice_of_Reason said:

If that was to happen it would have to be after Dan sells the team.  

Though Jay’s propensity to run for No yards on first time would fit in with what we’ve been doing since.. Jay Gruden was hired as HC. 

Jay was a great OC in Cincy - and that was with Andy Dalton.  Imagine what he could do with a young, spry Sam Howell.